Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Connor. the real story

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly, his career seems to be going downhill.

Dyche didn’t rate him at Everton and he can’t get a regular starting place at Leicester. From being our club captain and a regular in the England squad, he is now a bench warmer in the Championship.

We were the right club for Conor, at the right time, but a pretty poor manager ended all that!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s bloody lousy how it all ended for Coady. Loved the guy.
He may not have been perfect but Jesus, he was dedicated to Wolves and making us better.

Also, between Lage and JL, there seems to have been some acrimony between other players and them.
It seemed like some of our stars departed in less than an ideal way.

Glass ankles

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good interview. Strange how football clubs sometimes work and things unfold. Very strange ending for him and us. Deserved more having spent so long at the club and his dedication, even if he wasn't the future.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly, his career seems to be going downhill.

Dyche didn’t rate him at Everton and he can’t get a regular starting place at Leicester. From being our club captain and a regular in the England squad, he is now a bench warmer in the Championship.

We were the right club for Conor, at the right time, but a pretty poor manager ended all that!
he’s aging, for sure, declining?

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s bloody lousy how it all ended for Coady. Loved the guy.
He may not have been perfect but Jesus, he was dedicated to Wolves and making us better.

Also, between Lage and JL, there seems to have been some acrimony between other players and them.
It seemed like some of our stars departed in less than an ideal way.
Lage deserves to be mentioned in the same conversations as Saunders from an ability perspective.

molineux man

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He's not really being honest with himself in that interview though is he? Says it was a stupid thing when people said 'Coady can't play in a back 4' because no-one had seen him play there - he played in a back 4 for us a few times and it was never pretty!

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Covering old ground but he was third choice.

They didn’t want him to go. Who wants to lose their third choice centre back?

They let him decide his future and he makes it quite clear he was desperate to go to play, in order to get in the World Cup.

I have no time for Shi/Sellars/Lage but they must be baffled at how Coady is spinning this.

They gave him what HE wanted to fulfil HIS dream by letting him go on a bad deal for Wolves and he has the audacity to complain.

DavidWebb

Reaction score

They let him decide his future and he makes it quite clear he was desperate to go to play, in order to get in the World Cup.

I have no time for Shi/Sellars/Lage but they must be baffled at how Coady is spinning this.

They gave him what HE wanted to fulfil HIS dream by letting him go on a bad deal for Wolves and he has the audacity to complain.
I have it on good authority that is simply not true.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And he didn't complain about sitting on Everton's bench.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Clubs often bully players to leave to clubs they probably don't really want to join, especially ones those on higher wages, and if the player refuses they are often banished to train with the kids. It's wrong but every club does it, but we were doubly wrong to do it to someone who had contributed so much to the success of the team. Very out of character too? the club seems to pride itself on that sort of thing (look at the statement about Lemina swapping shirt name). Weird.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They agreed a deal with Trabzonspor without his knowledge, of course they wanted him to go. The cowards just didn't have the balls to tell him directly

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Its not rocket science to work out. Its pretty obvious he was treated in a fairly ordinary manner.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Right decision to move him on (as shown with his performances at Everton and Leicester since), but it should have been handled in the correct manner. Weak manager & a weak sporting director.

Tbf, he wasnt that bad at Everton. His form was pretty good early on, even in a back 4 but when Dyche came in he just reverted to players he worked with at Burnley.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope he can get a move to a club that will play him.

Listened to the Footballing Gods podcast with him the other day, he clearly still loves us and only has fond memories of most of his time here until the end. Even describes himself as a ‘Wolves fan’.

Wonder how he’d have fared in a O’Neil Wolves side, could have been a handy squad member.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They agreed a deal with Trabzonspor without his knowledge, of course they wanted him to go. The cowards just didn't have the balls to tell him directly
They didn’t. When you listen to what he said, he says Wolves told him they rejected it. The headline is misleading

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They didn’t. When you listen to what he said, he says Wolves told him they rejected it. The headline is misleading
Sort of. They were trying to do deals without coady's knowledge. This does happen in football but doing it to your club captain and after everything he'd done is particularly bad.

He didn't exactly choose to leave unless everyone who is pushed out of a workplace 'chooses to leave'. He was firmly and rudely pushed out the door. It was deliberately designed to make coady look the guilty party and that's why it was unforgivable.

There was no issue having a conversation with him if Lage didn't want him any more but neither Lage or certain others did that even remotely professionally.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely clubs having conversations with other clubs, about transferring players has gone on as long as the game has existed.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbf, he wasnt that bad at Everton. His form was pretty good early on, even in a back 4 but when Dyche came in he just reverted to players he worked with at Burnley.

He had some massive game costing errors in succession and his error for a goal in the derby was inept and he lost many toffees fans he was so bad in that game being ex Liverpool.

I said many times they weren’t taking the option…. Got slaughtered for it.

But he didn’t do enough on the pitch and was involved in a situation that led to Gordon leaving the club by forcing a move that at the time Everton were desperate for him to stay.
He had a **** poor return on headers and challenges won, wouldn’t cut it at many sides let alone a Dyche one with how they were.
Another mark against his name.

Great leader, inspirational guy, but massively limited as a player. In that team we had with Nuno he was massive, but it was lightning in a bottle, perfect manager, perfect system and perfect team that pulled the massive heartbeat of that generation out from what was looking likely to be a championship journeyman career, as let’s be honest if he had been sold that summer without Nuno, who would have really cared?

Money wasn’t the reason why they didn’t take him! They knew he had been below a standard where they could flip him for a reasonable profit! So they could have signed to keep him if they wanted him, they chose not to.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And probably somewhere in between this and what Coady says, is the truth.

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been discussed on here before.

In Lage's only full season, when we started 4 at the back for a few games then switched to the central back 3 again, I started to wonder if the players ran the team quite a lot that season. They basically switched back to what they had known and would have known how that works better than Lage. And quite often Lage looked perplexed even when Wolves had won.

As well as going to a 4, Lage was trying to get some authority the season after and Conor was the one who was picked on.

I am quite prepared to be shot down on this!

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He had some massive game costing errors in succession and his error for a goal in the derby was inept and he lost many toffees fans he was so bad in that game being ex Liverpool.

I said many times they weren’t taking the option…. Got slaughtered for it.

But he didn’t do enough on the pitch and was involved in a situation that led to Gordon leaving the club by forcing a move that at the time Everton were desperate for him to stay.
He had a **** poor return on headers and challenges won, wouldn’t cut it at many sides let alone a Dyche one with how they were.
Another mark against his name.

Great leader, inspirational guy, but massively limited as a player. In that team we had with Nuno he was massive, but it was lightning in a bottle, perfect manager, perfect system and perfect team that pulled the massive heartbeat of that generation out from what was looking likely to be a championship journeyman career, as let’s be honest if he had been sold that summer without Nuno, who would have really cared?

Money wasn’t the reason why they didn’t take him! They knew he had been below a standard where they could flip him for a reasonable profit! So they could have signed to keep him if they wanted him, they chose not to.
Putting aside the way he left, agree with all of that. He was the right man in the right place at the right time.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sort of. They were trying to do deals without coady's knowledge. This does happen in football but doing it to your club captain and after everything he'd done is particularly bad.

He didn't exactly choose to leave unless everyone who is pushed out of a workplace 'chooses to leave'. He was firmly and rudely pushed out the door. It was deliberately designed to make coady look the guilty party and that's why it was unforgivable.

There was no issue having a conversation with him if Lage didn't want him any more but neither Lage or certain others did that even remotely professionally.

Yes that's probably fair, they should have told him about any offer, but I don't think it's a massive issue if you don't, even if it's not the ideal/most professional way to act.

However, the tone I got from listening to Coady was that he was determined to leave whatever happens if he wasn't in that first XI. I genuinely got the impression he would've handed in a transfer request. Understandably, his only goal was going to the World Cup and he admits he put himself first that summer. Again, I have no problem with that. It will be the highlight of his career, I presume.

This is just my opinion on footballers in general, not just Coady, but I find it hugely disrespectful when they think they should be playing and they're not.

In this instance, Coady was 'fuming' to be on the bench at Leeds. You're essentially saying you're better than Kilman and Collins in that situation and that you should be playing ahead of them. I really don't like that attitude, especially from a club captain.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Again, a summary from the J Phillips/P Berry book;

- Wolves brought in Collins, Lage looking at a back four
- Pre season planning failure (trip to US cancelled)
- Neves says we did not prepare well for season, as a club, as a staff, as players
- Coady was expecting a conversation from somebody
- Had a call from Turkey, sporting director from Trabzonspor, put him onto his agent
- Guy says Wolves have accepted an offer for him - no communication to Coady from Wolves
- Scott Sellars a few days later tells Coady Wolves have rejected the offer
- Asked Matt Wild for a conversation, Coady wanted to know what was going on - why couldnt Lage just tell him the plans?
- Approached Lage who said 'he would understand whatever decision I made'
- Coady took that as 'you are telling me I can go, but why not just say it?'
- Everton showed interest in the week of the Leeds game
- Refutes accusation he would not have fought for his place, left because nobody talked to him, or was seemingly bothered about him leaving
- Very proud of his time at Wolves, particularly the Nuno years

He may well have been 'fuming' to be on the bench at Leeds, maybe not because he thought he was better than Collins or Kilman - but because of the above. Would I trust Lage/Sellars or Coady? Then again, I expect if you spent considerable time posting about Coady and the fact he left for Everton (and why) at the time it is fairly inconvenient for this to come out.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Again, a summary from the J Phillips/P Berry book;

He may well have been 'fuming' to be on the bench at Leeds, maybe not because he thought he was better than Collins or Kilman - but because of the above. Would I trust Lage/Sellars or Coady? Then again, I expect if you spent considerable time posting about Coady and the fact he left for Everton (and why) at the time it is fairly inconvenient for this to come out.

That doesn't really say anything different to what we know.

Wolves wanted to play a back four, yes, Coady was third choice, proven by his substitution on against Sporting CP. Third choice.

Wolves claim the offer was rejected, so again, they should've communicated with him, but they rejected an offer.

Should Lage have been more up front with Coady? Yes, it certainly seems so. However, does it really need spelling out for him? We're playing a back four, you're the third choice defender. Lage having poor communication skills is on Lage, but it's still not a massive issue.

The next bit is the key bit. Wolves were happy to let him go because they knew he wanted to play, which isn't mentioned.

He takes it as 'not fighting for him', yet he literally states all he cared about was playing to get to the World Cup. So, if we had fought for him, what would he have done? His own words say he was desperate to play. So, what we did was give him the chance to play, on a bad deal for us, and one that lost the manager his third choice centre-back.

That's where I have the 'issue' if you could call it that. We allowed him to do what benefited his career and he's critical. He got the outcome he wanted.

I love Coady as a player for what he did, and he's rightly a modern day club legend. I just think he plays the game in the media (he will definitely have a job when he retires) a lot, and this is an example of that IMO.

Back
Top Bottom