Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Concerns about Shi

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Try the Steve Bull. Was a mission in futility against United.

The friendly against Celta Vigo was worse, one person per bar and the one bird was that stressed she closed it down.

Cost cutting and penny pinching, hopefully they find a buyer soon.
The off field experience is dire, with the very welcome expection of more entrances for SBU; thank yopu. Remember customer facing staff must be as fustrated as we are. Support them. The rest is a PP management issue.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who has said we should replace Shi with Bully? Personally I think we need a top quality director of football with worldwide contacts and we havent got that at the club at present.

Lawley Wolf

Reaction score
Another complaint - getting a drink at half time in the south bank was a joke. I waited for 15 mins until I go to the front and was served, only 2 members of staff behind the bar - absolute disgrace. The drinks then weren't chilled the beer was just out the plastic packaging on the topic of the counters. Compare that to Leicester where they have dozens of cold pints waiting to be handed out as soon as you've placed the order.

What the hell are Wolves doing so bad off the pitch that you get that level of service in the prem. At least they haven't raised the price of the tickets whilst drastically lowering the quality of service.....

You've just reminded me and made me annoyed again! AHHHH!! I didn't even bother trying to get a beer at HT in the end.

completely agree, whoever is in charge of match day experience currently failing on the basics at the moment.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It baffles my brains, I can’t think of a chairman who is an ex player. There’s a whole sporting team behind him but people don’t want to recognise that as it doesn’t fit their rhetoric.

The same fans that knock Sellars don’t know what he does, or what Thelwell did and “we need a proper director of football” when in reality it’s the most fluid job in football because what the director of football does at a club alters from club to club, it’s not a defined position at all
Re your first para the last l can think of was Whelan at Wigan and he got that post as owner not because he was an ex-footballer.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not being critical in any way but I am genuinely interested in why we should stick with Fosun (personally I can see no reason for any optimism in the future but not sure I am thinking straight on this).

Firstly, it's not our decision.

But largely because think about what the alternative is - most people's main gripe is that they're not putting enough of their own money in. Not many clubs get owners willing to plough money in, at least after an initial splurge, and so assuming we're not going to get a SugarDaddy owner, we may as well have a broadly sensible one.

Like I said, how many of these clubs owners would you want in place of ours? And that's only looking at clubs who are still in the PL - if we looked at the owners of recently relegated teams, there'd be a far worse line up of crooks!

Everton
West Ham
Watford
Arsenal
Palace
Newcastle
Burnley
Norwich

Pintandkebab

Reaction score
Past footballer or manager running a chip shop . Come on surely people can see Shi's running of the club over the last few months has been shocking .

Ticket Prices £100 more for a season ticket ( 5th highest in the league For what ? we couldn't even stump up the extra £5mil from Botman so why raise them) Shi himself said it was noth to do with FFP so don't roll that BS out.
The Stadium has had nothing done in recent years and is in need of work.
Graham Hughes stand can't even be used ( We had over 12+ months with no fans so what was this not looked at when no one was in the ground)
Bruno was not backed when he said in the press what he needed

All these things along with problems with fans not getting shirts etc and Pigeons ****ting all over the seats for me points to a man and men out of their depth .

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not being critical in any way but I am genuinely interested in why we should stick with Fosun (personally I can see no reason for any optimism in the future but not sure I am thinking straight on this).

A previous poster made what I think is a sound point in that the possibility of the Big Six breaking away in the future (and clearly we would not be one of them) might have made Fosun re-assess what the future prospects are for significant growth.
Please if you've got the money, or know a rich Sheikh who will lend you the money then buy the club.
Otherwise, what are we suggesting to do about it? Hound them out?

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Assuming you went to ground floor.

Go to first level bars. Much quicker in my experience.

Although you have to travel through the smog to get there. They should be handing out oxygen masks.

No I was first floor which is where my seats are, it was shocking. There are also signs up saying 'no congregating in these areas' or words to that effect. How do they expect that not to happen if they have 2 members of staff serving hundreds of people.

Queensland Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Jeff has been a football chairman for 5 years + now
The idea we replace him with Bully, "cuz heez a futballer innit" is mad
To be fair I don’t think anyone advocates someone like Bully running the club. The simple fact is everywhere you look in the club we are lacking top class professionals and hence our situation off the pitch and on it is a reflection of that

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair I don’t think anyone advocates someone like Bully running the club. The simple fact is everywhere you look in the club we are lacking top class professionals and hence our situation off the pitch and on it is a reflection of that
What’s your field of expertise to conclude those in positions currently aren’t top class professionals?

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Please if you've got the money, or know a rich Sheikh who will lend you the money then buy the club.
Otherwise, what are we suggesting to do about it? Hound them out?
Certainly not hound them out. My belief (based purely on guess work) is that Fosun would get rid IF they were offered what they thought was an equitable sum.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who has said we should replace Shi with Bully? Personally I think we need a top quality director of football with worldwide contacts and we havent got that at the club at present.
What role do you expect from the DOF what’s his remit and responsibilities. This cliche about a top class DOF gets thrown round here all the time but it’s such a fluid role that alters from club to club so it’s near impossible to say what one could do for us. At some clubs it’s the most pivotal role in the club pulling together scouting, deciding on coaches, players, style of play and at others it’s a watered down admin role.

For me it makes absolutely zero difference who does it for us if we’re not spending money.

You mention worldwide contacts, what use are they with a shut wallet?

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What role do you expect from the DOF what’s his remit and responsibilities. This cliche about a top class DOF gets thrown round here all the time but it’s such a fluid role that alters from club to club so it’s near impossible to say what one could do for us. At some clubs it’s the most pivotal role in the club pulling together scouting, deciding on coaches, players, style of play and at others it’s a watered down admin role.

For me it makes absolutely zero difference who does it for us if we’re not spending money.

Yes, it's an easy line to throw out that we need one - people think saying it makes them look intelligent and progressive.

Apart from Paratici (who I admit does look good in a suit), how many current DoFs could people name?

Begiristan at City
Van Der Sar at Ajax, but more for his playing ability
...?

Incidentally, Leicester's DoF is... their former Academy Manager. And yet if we do that, we're "doing things on the cheap".

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been thinking Fosun are looking to sell for a while, especially after those Leonid Fedun rumours surfaced a few months ago.
Have to agree with you from the way the infrastructure has been stripped to the bone, and the look of the squad .

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It baffles my brains, I can’t think of a chairman who is an ex player. There’s a whole sporting team behind him but people don’t want to recognise that as it doesn’t fit their rhetoric.

The same fans that knock Sellars don’t know what he does, or what Thelwell did and “we need a proper director of football” when in reality it’s the most fluid job in football because what the director of football does at a club alters from club to club, it’s not a defined position at all
I think you can look at someones experience and record and then judge what their capabilities are likely to be.
Ex Football Director of Sporting Lisbon, or youth coach at Lincoln City . Who would you pick ?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

To me a director of football with better contacts and maybe well known and respected worldwide may well help us to get players on better deals and may well know of bargains in various countries.

I maintain that we lack a top notch director of football and that is my opinion. I dont have much if any confidence in Shi or Sellars when it comes to player recruitment. I know you wont like to hear that but that is my opinion.

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score

Someone finally said it.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To me a director of football with better contacts and maybe well known and respected worldwide may well help us to get players on better deals and may well know of bargains in various countries.

I maintain that we lack a top notch director of football and that is my opinion. I dont have much if any confidence in Shi or Sellars when it comes to player recruitment. I know you wont like to hear that but that is my opinion.
If we aren’t spending money (which we aren’t) what difference does contacts have to do?

If you want to talk contacts having Mendes in our corner is more beneficial (if we spend again) than any director of football as he’s simply more influential than them all put together

You probably don’t want to hear that though

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we aren’t spending money (which we aren’t) what difference does contacts have to do?

If you want to talk contacts having Mendes in our corner is more beneficial (if we spend again) than any director of football as he’s simply more influential than them all put together

According to Jeff we have money but decided there wasn’t good players available to spend it on. That’s why we need an experienced DoF.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Whilst I admire your staunch defence of all things Wolves and that you regularly highlight some of the negative nonsense spouted on here, your patronising and borderline aggressive tone does you no favours. If anything, it just weakens your case.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst I admire your staunch defence of all things Wolves and that you regularly highlight some of the negative nonsense spouted on here, your patronising and borderline aggressive tone does you no favours. If anything, it just weakens your case.
If you mean my last sentence was not similar said to me? Or we just going to ignore that?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to Jeff we have money but decided there wasn’t good players available to spend it on. That’s why we need an experienced DoF.
So an experienced DOF is going to make players come in budget? I’ll say it again we had the biggest fixer in world football in our corner, more powerful than any director of football, it doesn’t matter a jot if the budget isn’t there. If you have £20 million to spend in the window on a cb and a cm you aren’t improving the squad. You can’t make a silk purse with a sows ear

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So an experienced DOF is going to make players come in budget? I’ll say it again we had the biggest fixer in world football in our corner, more powerful than any director of football, it doesn’t matter a jot if the budget isn’t there. If you have £20 million to spend in the window on a cb and a cm you aren’t improving the squad. You can’t make a silk purse with a sows ear
Mendes has a duty first and foremost to act on the best interests of his clients. That means getting the best opportunities and deals for them. His job isn’t and can’t be getting the best deals for Wolves. Sometimes the two interests intersect, but that is only when he has an appropriate player, and Wolves have the best opportunity. When it comes to players represented by other agents, he cannot get involved. He is explicitly not employed by Wolves as an advisor, and if he were, both he and Wolves would be in all sorts of trouble.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mendes has a duty first and foremost to act on the best interests of his clients. That means getting the best opportunities and deals for them. His job isn’t and can’t be getting the best deals for Wolves. Sometimes the two interests intersect, but that is only when he has an appropriate player, and Wolves have the best opportunity. When it comes to players represented by other agents, he cannot get involved. He is explicitly not employed by Wolves as an advisor, and if he were, both he and Wolves would be in all sorts of trouble.
You don’t really believe that do you? He brokers deals for clubs on players he doesn’t represent every single day. He’s been involved in 40 of the last 43 signings man united have signed, he represented 7

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You don’t really believe that do you? He brokers deals for clubs on players he doesn’t represent every single day. He’s been involved in 40 of the last 43 signings man united have signed, he represented 7
Believe what you want. If he has no interest in any of the players being traded, and he’s not employed as a consultant, then he cannot get involved. Fact is that player moves are like house sales chains and when a club like Utd is involved, there is a good chance some of the chains will touch one of his players. If you want to buy a player from outside Portugal, especially if they are not a superstar, then Mendes is unlikely to represent them.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Believe what you want. If he has no interest in any of the players being traded, and he’s not employed as a consultant, then he cannot get involved. Fact is that player moves are like house sales chains and when a club like Utd is involved, there is a good chance some of the chains will touch one of his players. If you want to buy a player from outside Portugal, especially if they are not a superstar, then Mendes is unlikely to represent them.
If you wanted to sign a division 3 player from chile, gestifute could get you a list quicker than any scout or dof

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you wanted to sign a division 3 player from chile, gestifute could get you a list quicker than any scout or dof
But they cannot negotiate the deal nor advise on the deal unless they are contracted to provide consultancy services to the club. Mendes is not employed by Wolves in this capacity, and cannot be.

A DoF does more than just provide lists of players. They look at the squad with the coach, identify where it needs strengthening, assess players who can fit the need, determine which are available and attainable, negotiate the deal and sort the admin.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But they cannot negotiate the deal nor advise on the deal unless they are contracted to provide consultancy services to the club. Mendes is not employed by Wolves in this capacity, and cannot be.

A DoF does more than just provide lists of players. They look at the squad with the coach, identify where it needs strengthening, assess players who can fit the need, determine which are available and attainable, negotiate the deal and sort the admin.
No DOF in world football could convince players like Jota and neves to join a championship club and patricio and Moutinho to join newly promoted clubs. Mendes is infinitely more influential and important than any DOF in world football

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

As for the first paragraph, I’m sorry but genuinely do you really think he nor other agents don’t do that daily. You’ll be telling me they don’t talk to players without clubs permission next

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No DOF in world football could convince players like Jota and neves to join a championship club and patricio and Moutinho to join newly promoted clubs. Mendes is infinitely more influential and important than any DOF in world football
As I said. When the interests of the player and Wolves intersect then he can make magic happen. He cannot nor does not do this for every player in the world. You have a very poor understanding of what a DoF does and Wolves misses having someone with those skills. Mendes is not a replacement and cannot be. End of story.

koplex

Groupie
Reaction score
He wasn't Fabio's agent, yet took more commission from that deal than the actual agent did.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I don’t believe there was money available this summer.

As an example, Ings and Vestergaard were sold by Southampton for £20m and £25m respectively, both would have instantly improved our team, and to be honest were very reasonably priced.

Deals were there to be done, but we did jack **** because there was no money to deal with.

Just soundbites that there was money to spend to appease the fans, because if there was and we didn’t identify that this squad is short of players then that is a colossal **** up by the board.
Vestergaard is awful, doesn't improve us at all imo.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I said. When the interests of the player and Wolves intersect then he can make magic happen. He cannot nor does not do this for every player in the world. You have a very poor understanding of what a DoF does and Wolves misses having someone with those skills. Mendes is not a replacement and cannot be. End of story.
End of story? I have poor understanding? You’re in cuckoo land

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Without someone that has a clear direction ( ie; a DOF) that dictates the style of play throughout the club and identifies where we need to strengthen then Mendes only has limited value to us as we become a dumping ground for " his players" which pretty much happened when fosun first took over ( Texiera etc etc etc ).
A DOF should be the main man working in conjunction with the chairman..... he should set the style ,choose the manager/ coach to implement that style and identify and negotiate with potential players from all age groups ( juniors to first team) in consultation with the manager).
Besides the Chairman the DOF should be the highest paid and most important position at the club.

Back
Top Bottom