Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Concerns about Shi

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You trust Sellars’ mates, I’ll continue to look at the results. No decent players since Lescott, Murray and Keane.

Recruitment across the whole club has been **** for years (Mendes aside). Without Mendes we would be signing players like Keiffer Moore.
I mentioned the current crop of youth, the ones nurtured whilst Sellars has been here. You can’t judge them yet. Our current age groups are the best we’ve had in 30 plus years, he’s directly overseen that.

Your final point isnt worth anything, without mendes we would be in the championship or below. No Mendes no Fosun.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So sad, even more sad, because it is true.

To go from spending £35m on Fabio Silva, to then scrambling around for Keiffer Moore on deadline day pretty much sums up this clubs recruitment the last 12 months.
Close run thing but would prefer Moore up front...

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In all fairness I said what evidence do we have he’s a yes man (the same thing used to be thrown at Thelwell).

Sellars has nearly 40 years in football as a player, coach, academy leader, has all the relevant professional qualifications to go with it.

We could go and appoint Bergiristain from City, what’s he going to do with no budget? The taps been turned off whether that’s temporarily or permanent no one knows but this fable of appointing a DOF to sort things doesn’t stack up. It’d be like signing Lewis Hamilton and putting him in a Renault Clio.

There’s no funds so it’s a redundant role right now. “Jeff here’s a dossier of 300 of the best players in the world, I’ve spoke to all of their clubs and agents and agreed prices and contracts” “great, shove it in the bin, we aren’t spending “
Agreed entirely . If there are no funds there is no role . His position helps to confirm our ambition.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You trust Sellars’ mates, I’ll continue to look at the results. No decent players since Lescott, Murray and Keane.

Recruitment across the whole club has been **** for years (Mendes aside). Without Mendes we would be signing players like Keiffer Moore.
So sad, even more sad, because it is true.

To go from spending £35m on Fabio Silva, to then scrambling around for Keiffer Moore on deadline day pretty much sums up this clubs recruitment the last 12 months.
Because he is literally our budget now.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed entirely . If there are no funds there is no role . His position helps to confirm our ambition.
My personal feeling is his remit is predominantly around youth development as that’s his background and whilst he oversees senior development they’ll look to mendes predominately. I’ve got no real massive issue with that.

The continental approach to a DOF I really dislike whereby your pinning on them recruitment of manager/coach, buying the players, picking the style and formation, negotiation of contracts etc. It’s too much responsibility for one person who could easily leave and go elsewhere then your up **** street without a paddle, plus what manager worth his salt is having players he doesn’t want dropped on him and told how to play and what formation. I can’t imagine Pep, Klopp putting up with the latter or the likes of Ferguson or Clough back in the day either.

NJWolves69

Groupie
Reaction score
Your final point isnt worth anything, without mendes we would be in the championship or below. No Mendes no Fosun.

This is a fair point and I also agree with you that there would be some challenges in bringing in a well respected DoF to the club with our current arrangement with Mendes. But you seem to be content with our current hierarchy...how? We're always going to be at the mercy of Uncle Jorge, but surely we have to have some sort of Plan B when Jorge doesn't have any use for us?

A lowball deadline day bid for Kieffer Moore is embarrassing. Even if you like the player (I do btw), Cardiff was never going to part ways with him for a reasonable fee due to the fact they couldn't get a replacement for him.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is a fair point and I also agree with you that there would be some challenges in bringing in a well respected DoF to the club with our current arrangement with Mendes. But you seem to be content with our current hierarchy...how? We're always going to be at the mercy of Uncle Jorge, but surely we have to have some sort of Plan B when Jorge doesn't have any use for us?

A lowball deadline day bid for Kieffer Moore is embarrassing. Even if you like the player (I do btw), Cardiff was never going to part ways with him for a reasonable fee due to the fact they couldn't get a replacement for him.
I’m not content, it’s just the way it works. Currently Sellars is DOF but with a different title (he’s said that himself in interviews).

There is no plan b to mendes because him and fosun come as a pair, if one goes the other will.

I’m simply a realist, all this talk of a DOF who controls recruitment isn’t happening in our owners structural plan with Gestifute which is well documented.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be brilliant, but will never happen under Jeff.

Jeff wants to be the head honcho, calling all the shots and having the final decision in all situations, however illogical the decisionfrom a pure footballing perspective (that part, I suspect, being a consideration for Thelwell when he decided to move on, as his views were I think quite often overruled in his latter period at Wolves). Also, Jeff is quite clearly running the club from a perspective of cost minimisation to boost profit, so having Campos here (even if he'd agree to come, which is highly doubtful) would be seen as an unnecessary cost on the balance sheet by Jeff, when he's got yes man Sellars to do his bidding and Mendes's input just a 'phone call away when he feels it's required.

Campos would represent a challenger to Jeff's absolute autocratic control and authority at the club; don't think Jeff wants that scenario for one second: he's a classic authoritarian command and control man.

Totally 100% agree.

NJWolves69

Groupie
Reaction score
I’m not content, it’s just the way it works. Currently Sellars is DOF but with a different title (he’s said that himself in interviews).

There is no plan b to mendes because him and fosun come as a pair, if one goes the other will.

I’m simply a realist, all this talk of a DOF who controls recruitment isn’t happening in our owners structural plan with Gestifute which is well documented.

When I say Plan B I don't necessarily mean Fosun/Mendes leaving the club, I'm just talking about our recruitment outside of Mendes clients.

Plan A this summer was seemingly for Jorge to find a buyer for Adama/Neves and replace them with the likes of Guedes/Palhinha. Our valuation wasn't met, and we failed to broker any other deals besides Hwang. Plan A for our transfer windows are always going to be whatever Mendes wants them to be, but we can't just sit around doing nothing if Mendes isn't holding our hand right?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No top director of football will touch us with a barge pole, why would they? It’s clearly known in football how closely we work with Mendes so it dilutes the job massively. Sellars is ideal as our DOF position is more based around youth (his background) as opposed to oven ready players. Gestifute suggested fosun buy a club and that the money to be made in football is player trading so bringing anything else goes completely against why they are here.
I thought there was hope after the initial Mendes crop we could become self sufficient. A gradual phasing out of a reliance on Mendes .If you think of the lead time on scouting and bringing in new players Sellers will be responsible for our incomings in the January window and summer. That does not fill me with confidence.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought there was hope after the initial Mendes crop we could become self sufficient. A gradual phasing out of a reliance on Mendes .If you think of the lead time on scouting and bringing in new players Sellers will be responsible for our incomings in the January window and summer. That does not fill me with confidence.
I don’t think as a club they have any plans whatsoever on not using mendes for the vast majority of dealings. It’s literally how the partnership between fosun and gestifute is set up

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When I say Plan B I don't necessarily mean Fosun/Mendes leaving the club, I'm just talking about our recruitment outside of Mendes clients.

Plan A this summer was seemingly for Jorge to find a buyer for Adama/Neves and replace them with the likes of Guedes/Palhinha. Our valuation wasn't met, and we failed to broker any other deals besides Hwang. Plan A for our transfer windows are always going to be whatever Mendes wants them to be, but we can't just sit around doing nothing if Mendes isn't holding our hand right?
I think our failings in the last window were purely economic based, we didn’t get the offers we wanted on our players which meant we didn’t have the clout on others. I’m not sure where a difference in personnel round the board alters that. We can’t force other clubs to buy inflated or indeed sell cheap.

NJWolves69

Groupie
Reaction score
I think our failings in the last window were purely economic based, we didn’t get the offers we wanted on our players which meant we didn’t have the clout on others. I’m not sure where a difference in personnel round the board alters that. We can’t force other clubs to buy inflated or indeed sell cheap.

You think we were so cash strapped that we couldn't bring in another body at CM? We were linked to Okay Yokuslu for only 5M. And we were ready to pay 25M for Botman but couldn't afford to pay the extra 5M Lille wanted? Not to mention all of our business felt late and rushed - I imagine a difference in personnel would at least have us more prepared

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think as a club they have any plans whatsoever on not using mendes for the vast majority of dealings. It’s literally how the partnership between fosun and gestifute is set up
I hope so but there was something about the Silva signing that looked like a gear change to me.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely when we employed Bruno he was asked his preferred formation which is said to be 442. The next question should have been who at the club can play in that formation. We don't play it so the answer is obvious.
Down to you Jeff and no one else.

Last edited:

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were unlucky tonight tbf after a bad start. One thing is for sure Fabio doesn’t have it !!

kentish wolf

Reaction score
His credibity is Hwanging by a thread.

Seriously he'll be judged by results, Lage has 10 games or so to show he can get results with the squad he's been given. If he goes I do think Shi should go with him. For me he's gone from trying to fit in and understand the club to deciding he knows best and not listening to the real (on football or football fans) experts.
10 games possibly .November is when wolves sack managers.
I feel sorry for Lagge
IMO he has been sold a pup .
This squad was always going to struggle
It is such a shame because we could have been an established premier team.
Sorry Mr Shi but you have blown it.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
10 games possibly .November is when wolves sack managers.
I feel sorry for Lagge
IMO he has been sold a pup .
This squad was always going to struggle
It is such a shame because we could have been an established premier team.
Sorry Mr Shi but you have blown it.

He has blown it big style in my opinion. Lage sounds frustrated in his pre match press conference by all accounts today. talking of playing 5 at the back due to the players we have. Basically saying our defence is ****. A defence that Shi and his recruitment team have failed to improve for over 3 years and dont get me started on the central midfield!

D

Deleted member yltz11841

He has blown it big style in my opinion. Lage sounds frustrated in his pre match press conference by all accounts today. talking of playing 5 at the back due to the players we have. Basically saying our defence is ****. A defence that Shi and his recruitment team have failed to improve for over 3 years and dont get me started on the central midfield!
What was said in the presser? I can’t be bothered to watch it but a summary would be excellent.

Has Jeff been seen since the ****ing **** transfer window or is he just in hiding like the charlatan that he is?

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes exactly - the model that benefits both Fosun and Mendes is to use Wolves as a platform to showcase young (mostly Portuguese) talent that the latter can bring in for the former to then develop, showcase and, at the right time, move on at maximum profit. Presence in the Premier League is necessary to ensure maximum player exposure and profit opportunity. Oh - and flog a few records and Chinese fashion gear at the same time. Dear oh dear, what have we become.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What was said in the presser? I can’t be bothered to watch it but a summary would be excellent.

Has Jeff been seen since the ****ing **** transfer window or is he just in hiding like the charlatan that he is?

Basically he is frustrated with our defending in the last couple of games. He insinuates that with the players we have it is best he plays 5 at the back despite preferring 4 at the back. It is fair to think that he thinks our defence isnt very good. If only Shi had backed him properly in the transfer window.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

God, i hate this forum sometimes.
I hate it all the time.

Did you know I did a poll where 80% backed Nuno and a few of the usual suspects swamped the board to the extent where ‘Nuno-ball’ is now considered a derogatory insult?

In my opinion Nuno-ball was the best thing to happen to the club since the 1960s. Steve Bull, Andy Mutch, Matt Jarvis and even Helder Costa are revered on here, while the majority of posts hate Nuno and everything he stood for.

He got us to a semi-final and blew a two-goal lead, nobody is grateful for the semi, but blowing the two-goal lead comes up on a daily basis.

I love wolves, I always have but I always hated the bloke behind me who slagged off Kenny Hibbit every time he misplaced a pass.

This board is the living embodiment of the bloke behind me.

Nuno was good for this club, Jeff isn’t.

The reason Jorge helped us out had nothing to do with Guo holding shares, it had everything to do with his relationship with Nuno. Fosun / Guo have a small minority share in Gestifute, taken out when they saw a mutual business opportunity, which has now significant diminished. In short, Jorge doesn’t give a damn about Guo or Jeff any longer and it was Jorge that helped us get where we are.

Jeff quite literally threw the baby out with the bath water, and in doing so, steered us up the creek without a paddle when Jorge said ‘don’t call me, I’ll call you’.

He did and he fobbed off yet another lightweight Portuguese wonder-kid-winger on us (which was the last thing we needed).

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He did a lengthy interview with Spiers for the Athletic. Lots of summaries elsewhere in the thread and other threads.

D

Deleted member yltz11841

He did a lengthy interview with Spiers for the Athletic. Lots of summaries elsewhere in the thread and other threads.

Did Spiers ask any hard questions or was he too frightened to lose the little access he has? And did Shi actually answer anything worthwhile? Il take a wild guess and say no on both but plenty of excuses and banging on about brand plus esports.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did Spiers ask any hard questions or was he too frightened to lose the little access he has? And did Shi actually answer anything worthwhile? Il take a wild guess and say no on both but plenty of excuses and banging on about brand plus esports.
It was previously covered in posts as I said. Spiers asked the window, and why the number of signings Bruno seemed confident he would get didn’t appear, and why pursuits of late window targets came to nothing. Jeff’s broad answer was that the quality targets they pursued earlier in the window were not available, and Bruno didn’t think the ones later in the window would improve the squad. He said money was there for signings, and FFP was not a constraint. What Spiers didn’t do was challenge Jeff on his answers. Jeff also said he was pleased about the esports progress and that he was spending half his time on that!

On the positive, clearly the club read in social media how ****ed us fans were about the window, and Jeff didn’t hide. On the negative, his answers were inconsistent with those he gave in the lengthy Q&A videos, and by stating multiple times it was Bruno who said no to the late summer pursuits we tried for, he attempted to deflect blame.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was previously covered in posts as I said. Spiers asked the window, and why the number of signings Bruno seemed confident he would get didn’t appear, and why pursuits of late window targets came to nothing. Jeff’s broad answer was that the quality targets they pursued earlier in the window were not available, and Bruno didn’t think the ones later in the window would improve the squad. He said money was there for signings, and FFP was not a constraint. What Spiers didn’t do was challenge Jeff on his answers. Jeff also said he was pleased about the esports progress and that he was spending half his time on that!

On the positive, clearly the club read in social media how ****ed us fans were about the window, and Jeff didn’t hide. On the negative, his answers were inconsistent with those he gave in the lengthy Q&A videos, and by stating multiple times it was Bruno who said no to the late summer pursuits we tried for, he attempted to deflect blame.
Doesn’t explain who decided that Botman wasn’t worth the extra £5m.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Shame we sold Jota he's world class on fifa isn't he I believe? Like world's top twenty or something. Jeff would love that ffs!

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this was the interview where he said they couldn’t find a better defender than Coady, Saiss, or Kilman, which if true, makes you wonder where the **** they were looking.

Back
Top Bottom