Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Coldest Sporting Event You've Attended

USA Wolf

President, Jordan Graham Fan Club
Reaction score
All this talk of snow (heck, it even snowed in Texas last night!) has me thinking of one of my favorite memories.

December 21, 2008 a much younger USA Wolf attended a Kansas City Chiefs v Miami Dolphins NFL game.

Kickoff temperature -12°C. Wind chill made it feel like -22°C.

We still tailgated in the parking lot, but instead of grilling we made chili. Only, the chili went ice cold as soon as you took it off the stove. If you opened a can of beer, you had less than two minutes to drink it before it turned into a hard slush.

Also we lost in heartbreaking fashion, as only my Chiefs can do. What a day!

D

Deleted member 3518

A mid-week away game at Grimsby, temperature minus 4 and a fire was lit under the stand, think we lost heavily as well, seem to recall Grimsby scored 4 could be wrong.

Another game was the FA cup second replay against the Villa at the Hawthorns, snow everywhere, accessing the stands was certainly a challenge, we won think Mcilmoyle scored a hat-trick.

Also Sheffield Wednesday away, stopped over and enjoyed a few drinks with my mate at the hotel (including our own bottle of whisky!), slipped on the ice and fell over in the carpark, met some of his Wednesday work colleagues in a pub near the ground and fell over again on the ice but thought no more about it. Woke up following day and my hand hurt like hell, no wonder I'd bost it!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Boxing Day 1994. Ice Station Zebra/Oldham away, we lost heavily, couldn't wait for the game to end, took following 3 days to warm up. Have no interest in ever going to Oldham again, even in the summer.

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tranmere in FA Cup, i think it was just after New Year's day, it was like minus 5 and there was a breeze on our faces behind the goals. Walking back to the car which was parked about 1 mile away felt an exploration of the South Pole.

MrwulfAndrew

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves speedway god Sam Ermolenko's farewell. Speedway in the snow!

BN1Wolves

Reaction score
Boxing day 2012 Wigan at home. -10 with breeze Inside the stadium . Its the coldest I have ever been in my life let alone at just a sporting event. Body convulsing , my pals snot froze to his face . Was unreal. Then after had to drive all the way back to brighton . Was a mad day out.

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Went to Berlin about 6 years ago in January and took in Hertha v Borussia Moenchengladbach, was -17, we bought beers and there were shards of ice down the side of the cup about halfway down drinking it, ended up the dourest 0-0 I’ve ever seen too.

S

ShropshireLad

Away at Millwall and QPR (both in the winter) were as bad as each other. The cold wind whistled through the away ends and neither was full to afford much protection. It made my youngest cry on each occasion because it was so cold that it put her off footie altogether. :(

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve been to a fair few NFL games in Green Bay. Was at the game a couple of seasons back where a foot of snow fell on game day. Chilly

USA Wolf

Reaction score
I wonder if you all will have new stories to tell after tomorrow!

USA Wolf

Reaction score
I’ve been to a fair few NFL games in Green Bay. Was at the game a couple of seasons back where a foot of snow fell on game day. Chilly

Wisconsin is no joke. Absolutely brutal.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I saw a UEFA cup game in Norway when they were having freak low temperatures.It was postponed from the day before and they just wanted to get the game on so that the team from Estonia could go home.The temperatures were around -18 at KO.
It was painful and so was the football.

L

Lycan

Arbroath vs Queen of the South a few years ago.

arbroath.jpg

One of the QotS full backs played a fairly aimless lofted cross from deep in the second half, the wind took it and it flew right into the top corner. Nearly took the net off.

Gold Umbro

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Boxing Day 1994. Ice Station Zebra/Oldham away, we lost heavily, couldn't wait for the game to end, took following 3 days to warm up. Have no interest in ever going to Oldham again, even in the summer.

I was there. What a grim day all round.

E

Essex Wolf

Went to an ice hockey game at Madison Square garden in NY January 2002. Temperature outside was -15. Don't usually feel the cold but with the wind chill felt I was being cut in half.

D

Deleted member 3518

Went to an ice hockey game at Madison Square garden in NY January 2002. Temperature outside was -15. Don't usually feel the cold but with the wind chill felt I was being cut in half.

T-shirt, shorts and crocs?;)

USA Wolf

Reaction score
Chiefs made habit of this over last six weeks even lost to my Giants who are BADDDD

They turned to mushy garbage in a hurry, didn't they? 5-0 start with a 4 game lead on the division, now 6-6 in a three way tie and playing some of the worst football I've seen. That loss to the Giants was unforgivable (no offense)

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Took a girlfriend to a football game once. She hated it and gave me ice cold stares throughout the match and the cold shoulder for a week after

I'm still trying to thaw out

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Cambridge away years ago, first time I saw Mark Kendall play. Penalty areas were covered in straw

This was mine I think - open terrace with not many there to huddle together with, Mark Kendall shouting at Ally Robertson - "don't foul in the box Ally" became a bit of a joke between me and my mates at the time. 0-0 too just to add to the chill even though Bully was playing!

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Midweek cup game at Huddersfield on a train without heating an away end without cover. Nobody wore coats because that isn't cool when you are 19 years old.

Designer jumpers and hypothermia.

N

Northamptonwolf

Blackpool away. Cant remember the year but it was midweek, possibly Christmas week. We where on the side in the temporary stand with no roof.

Was live on sky and im sure i remember sky reporting it was minus 7. We jumped up and down to keep warm, tanoy asked us to stop as the sky camera was fixed to the back of the stand. It obviously had the reverse affect!! Watched the game back the next day and all you could see was the picture very unsteady

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Arbroath vs Queen of the South a few years ago.

arbroath.jpg

One of the QotS full backs played a fairly aimless lofted cross from deep in the second half, the wind took it and it flew right into the top corner. Nearly took the net off.
I've been to Gayview

Air Wolf 90

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well, there was once this Tuesday night in Barnsley...

I remember a Christmas game against Sheffield Utd mid 90s at Molineux. Somehow me and my mate Chris had tickets in the family enclosure. By the cringe it was cold even after we scored two late goals.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
Tranmere Vs Wolves in the FA cup 3rd round in about 1983. The temperature was about -273 (or it felt like it.) It was that cold that the flame on my Dads cigarette lighter froze.

J

JR's Boots

Cambridge away years ago, first time I saw Mark Kendall play. Penalty areas were covered in straw[/QUOTE
This was mine I think - open terrace with not many there to huddle together with, Mark Kendall shouting at Ally Robertson - "don't foul in the box Ally" became a bit of a joke between me and my mates at the time. 0-0 too just to add to the chill even though Bully was playing!
That was the coldest match I've even been to as well. Terrible game and no roof. I didn't thaw out do hours

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
watching probably a mid week winter game at the mol, early 2000's dodn't remember exactly well below freezing, other than that skiing snowboarding, -18 or 19. you know its cold when the froth on the top of your beer starts freezing

W

wolvesultra

A boxing day game at Stockport (open terrace) rings a bell but I was young then and you never really notice it then.

More recent times the Fulham FA Cup replay the day Sir Jack died...was bloody proud to be a Wolves that night though the continuous 'Jack Haywards barmy army' against a a back drop of empty seats and a blizzard means more to me than this season's inevitable promotion will do.

W

wolvesultra

Blackpool away. Cant remember the year but it was midweek, possibly Christmas week. We where on the side in the temporary stand with no roof.

Was live on sky and im sure i remember sky reporting it was minus 7. We jumped up and down to keep warm, tanoy asked us to stop as the sky camera was fixed to the back of the stand. It obviously had the reverse affect!! Watched the game back the next day and all you could see was the picture very unsteady

Watched this on TV probably 2008ish Sky kept showing the temperature and the camera kept bouncing.

My mate was there and agreed freezing...was Xmas week mid week game

Jonny De Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Austria v England in Vienna a few years back
There was a good bit of snow about on our way to my favourite brew pub (1516)
Came to time to think about going to the ground and the snow was halfway up the cars on the street outside
Quick 50 a side snowball fight then up to the ground.
Can't remember much of the game but do remember watching the skin colour change on a lad in a light jacket - he left after 20 mins before he froze to the spot.
If you managed to keep your feet still for a couple of minutes they started to freeze to the stand
Back to pub after and they had free hot chocolate as first drink to everyone coming in

D

Deleted member 4456

Tampere United vs Honka Espoo when I was living in the Manchester of the north. Cold was an understatement.

HICKO

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not attended as such but back in the day when I was fitter I'll never forget going to the top of the Austrian Alps by cable car and arriving at the top in minus degrees.Skiing down was one of the most exhilarating things I can recall.
Second only to a Wolves win :)

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Me too, was once stationed there in the Navy for 6 months, loved the Beatties meaties! The Red Lichties!
Had an Arbroath Smokie with 2 poached eggs and brown bread and butter there .
If food was Sex that was the ultimate .Absolutely superb .

Lofty wolf

Reaction score
Notts County away on Boxing day in 1985/1986 season en route to Division 4
Open terracing and the wind was howling.
Wolves lost 4.0 and we kept occupied by having mini snowball fights on the terrace

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I was there but in the home end so thankfully a bit more protected than the east stand which gets the worst conditions. I remember seeing the highlights and the Sky cameras focussing on a thermometer at pitch side as it was so cold.

I played Sunday League in Blackpool for a few years which was always freezing in winter, especially on the exposed pitches near the coast, but the worst I played in by far was in London when it started sleeting down early into the game and so we were all soaking wet and freezing.

At some point I noticed that one of my laces had come undone so tried to tie it but my fingers were so numb I couldn’t feel anything so had to play the rest of the game with them undone. At the end of the game there was a mad rush to the changing rooms and then a scrum to stand in front of the heaters to thaw out. Must have been 18 years ago but I still remember it with a shudder.

DEVIZESWOLVES

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
0CE8C4E2-FA32-4900-9565-C7925930A8A1.jpeg
Austria v England in Vienna a few years back
There was a good bit of snow about on our way to my favourite brew pub (1516)
Came to time to think about going to the ground and the snow was halfway up the cars on the street outside
Quick 50 a side snowball fight then up to the ground.
Can't remember much of the game but do remember watching the skin colour change on a lad in a light jacket - he left after 20 mins before he froze to the spot.
If you managed to keep your feet still for a couple of minutes they started to freeze to the stand
Back to pub after and they had free hot chocolate as first drink to everyone coming in

Same!

Back
Top Bottom