Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Coady, welcoming him back with open arms or sell??

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Him and Neves leaving really hits home that the greatest period of supporting Wolves in my lifetime is over. Gutted!
Was just saying at the pub, Ruben Conor and Adama all leaving within a week of each other feels like the end of something. Three iconic players in this little part of our history.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All good things come to an end.

We shouldn't let the last 12 months cloud what he has done for us. We don't know the full circumstances and I'm sure all parties could have handled it better... including us, the fans.

I will be watching him play for Leicester with interest and wish him success, except for when they play us.

Watching him play and score for England was a particular highlight but those seasons we had when we went up and finished 7th both times will remain at the top of the list. The man bought into Wolves and I'm sure he is sad to be leaving. Another whose kids have grown up in Wolverhampton and a top quality family man who gave his all for us while he was here.

He was an extremely important piece in the jigsaw under Nuno and I'l never forget that pre-season game against, ironically enough, Leicester, when we all saw the new system play out in a beautiful way.

Thank you Conor Coady. Wish you every success and happiness both now and after your football career has finished.

Netherton Wolf

Reaction score
Best of luck Conor, it really does feel like the end of an era, hope I do but doubt I'll ever go through anything like the Nuno era in my lifetime x

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was just saying at the pub, Ruben Conor and Adama all leaving within a week of each other feels like the end of something. Three iconic players in this little part of our history.
End of our songs?

GV Wolf

Reaction score
End of our songs?
This is another issue, we’ve lost Coady, neves, adama, moutinho - that’s 4 songs gone. Just need Raul to go and no songs left, apart from the 1970’s classics and that Jeff goes to France song :)

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Turned from the very definition of bog standard Championship midfielder to an England centre half at Wolves. Great ambassador and team captain. Yes he had some shortcomings as a player but he made the best of what he was good at and led this club superbly. He represented Wolves excellent and shouldn't receive any bad wishes from any Wolves fans and hopefully gets a good reception if he ever returns.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is no doubt he has been an absolute legend here. He has made the most of his talents, he is a great passer and reads the game well. His leadership skills are outstanding and I fully expect him to become a manager when he retires.

So he gets full respect from me. Thank you Connor.

But this is a good deal for everyone.

While he has proved to be a good player in a back three, he is less effective in a four. He lacks a bit of height, pace, and physicality for a top end premier league defender. He will be 31 before the end of the season, so he is not going to get any quicker.

The £8.5m is pure profit and it's likely to be the high water mark for his price. He is going to a good club, they need some leadership, and they will be challenging for promotion.

The key question, as always, is will they use this £8.5m wisely?

If they pick up a pacey young centre back then maybe Cody's legacy will live on.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't call him a legend (a word that is thrown around too often these days). Ruben Neves is a Wolves legend, before that you're going back to Bully to find the last. Like Doherty though, Conor's is a very inspirational story of how a player can turn a middling career around under the right management (Nuno) to achieve heights unimagined. When he scored for England, I went mental because it felt like a culmination of all that. He has earned a great deal of respect.

JadeWolf

Reaction score
I wouldn't call him a legend (a word that is thrown around too often these days). Ruben Neves is a Wolves legend, before that you're going back to Bully to find the last. Like Doherty though, Conor's is a very inspirational story of how a player can turn a middling career around under the right management (Nuno) to achieve heights unimagined. When he scored for England, I went mental because it felt like a culmination of all that. He has earned a great deal of respect.
If Neves is a legend then Coady is too.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not knocking Conor but he owes everything to Nuno, who transformed him from a jobbing Championship midfielder on the verge of being bombed out, into an inspired sweeper in a back three. He was brilliant and bled gold and black - until the first sign that his place was under threat, then he bailed. No more a legend than Doherty in that respect. In my opinion, he also got too pally with his mates in the media who have taught him the PR game - comes across as ingratiating to whichever club he's at.

Ruben OTOH came to Wolves as a Champions League player in England's second tier, was consistently outstanding and loyal to Wolves, even as he was touted with the biggest clubs in Europe. He continually shelved his desire to play in the Champions League, and was even willing to sign an extension if a move didn't happen this Summer rather than leave on a free and have the pick of Europe's elite. Bully levels of commitment to the club at the expense of his career.

The tears in his farewell video speak a thousand words. Just a different level of connection to anyone else from the Nuno era. Almost spiritual.

Last edited:

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
LEGEND in my opinion.

Bradstonian

Reaction score
Outstanding player for Wolves. One of the best since I started following in the early 1970s. Gave so much to the club, outside of the games he played, as well as on the pitch. I think Leicester have done a great bit of business, and it will be a good fit for Conor too. With his influence I surely expect Leicester to win the league with room to spare.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kinda comes down to how you define “legend” .
If Barry Douglas has snuck off one night and took a dump on the pitch at the hawthorns.... he may have been considered a legend!

Neves is very obviously an infinitely better player than Coady; which probably makes people quicker to allow him that tag.

That’s in no way to diminish Coady, sometimes the simpler cogs are the most important.

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
He’s a legend in my opinion. A great captain and don’t get the disrespect that some have shown him.

He may have his limitations as a player but I’d rather have a team of 11 players like Coady who clearly invested personally in our great club whilst they were here rather than a Guedes type who may have much more skill but about 1% effort and zero personal investment to Wolves.

Will always appreciate his time as our on field leader and nothing but best wishes for the future.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We shouldn't let the last 12 months cloud what he has done for us. We don't know the full circumstances and I'm sure all parties could have handled it better... including us, the fans.

I will be watching him play for Leicester with interest and wish him success, except for when they play us.

Watching him play and score for England was a particular highlight but those seasons we had when we went up and finished 7th both times will remain at the top of the list. The man bought into Wolves and I'm sure he is sad to be leaving. Another whose kids have grown up in Wolverhampton and a top quality family man who gave his all for us while he was here.

He was an extremely important piece in the jigsaw under Nuno and I'l never forget that pre-season game against, ironically enough, Leicester, when we all saw the new system play out in a beautiful way.

Thank you Conor Coady. Wish you every success and happiness both now and after your football career has finished.
Hopefully they don't play us again any time soon, can't stand them and their crap fans. Good luck to Conor though, a top lad and a big part of our incredible success under Nuno.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Great captain and gave everything for Wolves. Hope he continues to have good career. Those Nuno years he was ace, never be forgotten.

JadeWolf

Reaction score
Not knocking Conor but he owes everything to Nuno, who transformed him from a jobbing Championship midfielder on the verge of being bombed out, into an inspired sweeper in a back three. He was brilliant and bled gold and black - until the first sign that his place was under threat, then he bailed. No more a legend than Doherty in that respect. In my opinion, he also got too pally with his mates in the media who have taught him the PR game - comes across as ingratiating to whichever club he's at.

Ruben OTOH came to Wolves as a Champions League player in England's second tier, was consistently outstanding and loyal to Wolves, even as he was touted with the biggest clubs in Europe. He continually shelved his desire to play in the Champions League, and was even willing to sign an extension if a move didn't happen this Summer rather than leave on a free and have the pick of Europe's elite. Bully levels of commitment to the club at the expense of his career.

The tears in his farewell video speak a thousand words. Just a different level of connection to anyone else from the Nuno era. Almost spiritual.
Both had different stories but both created so many memories for us as fans. I think in 30+ years we’ll still be talking about Neves as one of our greatest players and Coady as one of our greatest captains.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

He never relocated to Wolverhampton though.

His kids grew up in Liverpool and the whole my kids are wolves fans lasted no time at all

They were in Everton kits last year and now they're little foxes as his Mrs has put on Instagram.

Coady was good for Wolves but Wolves owe him nothing.

He made the right noises whilst he was here can't fault him.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Exactly this for me.

Neves gave Wolves more than Coady did in my eyes.

Coady owes Wolves far more.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly this for me.

Neves gave Wolves more than Coady did in my eyes.

Coady owes Wolves far more.
Seriously... what difference does it really make? Both are now gone. Both are moving on with their lives. Why is there a choice to make?
Why can't we just simply appreciate they were both a big part of a terrific journey for our club?

R

reanswolf

His kids grew up in Liverpool and the whole my kids are wolves fans lasted no time at all

They were in Everton kits last year and now they're little foxes as his Mrs has put on Instagram.

See this gets me a bit. I loved Coady to bits and understood his move to Everton but he was very careless with his words, and even now his two line sentence feels shallow.

On the pitch he deserves legendary status, but it just feels like he couldn’t really get away quickly enough to Everton.

It just took the edge or shine off for me.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good guy who gave his all for the cause. Easily earns his place in Nuno's legends.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

To be fair to Coady travelling from Merseyside to Wolvo is rather easier than from Portugal so.....

Back
Top Bottom