Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Chinese owners - Russian fall out

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We've had a consistent stance about political discussion on here, whether it be covid related, or now the war in Ukraine. There is an area provided for those discussions. Its up to you whether you are bothered enough about a subject to make use of it.
Are you going to actually do anything or keep repeating the same answer forever? Do something or shut up is my advice.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not expecting Fosun to condem Russia, due to political links. Fosun also have billions in investment in Russia.

But if wolves as a club can't openly condem Russia due to our owners, then I think I may be done with Fosun, and I've been a huge fan.
Wwe are fortunate to live in a country where open disagreement with government policies is accepted (if largely ignored) and debate of issues encouraged. China (and Russia) are very different but it would be very damaging in many ways for Fosun to try to stop the club showing support for Ukraine and I think highly unlikely. If they did it would be due to pressure from the Chinese government not themselves. However there would be nothing they could do to stop us fans showing our feelings at the Watford game, which I suspect would happen and actually generate far more publicity.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

Agree this could be bad for wolves. Their owners want to grow the brand in china.
Any idea on what the Chinese public are being told as to why there will be no coverage?

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I would hope all supporters planning to hold up flags, wear arm bands, change their Facebook profile, send prayers etc will also do something useful like contributing to DEC?

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Agree this could be bad for wolves. Their owners want to grow the brand in china.
Any idea on what the Chinese public are being told as to why there will be no coverage?
i would imagine they would be able to work it out for themselves

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
It never sits right with me when a non-political authority stands up and says 'this is what we and everyone who comes under our banner thinks.'.

Let people express themselves individually rather than forcing a narrative upon them. I thought we were a country of freedom and democracy. As mentioned above, our owners may not be that comfortable about being forced to do this regardless of their individual feelings on the matter. There's nothing wrong with keeping your feelings to yourself.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How so? 10 days after the invasion? What is useful about it?

The invasion is ongoing?

We know we can't get get involved when it comes to combact. But the west coming together staying strong showing support atleast shows some resolve and that it is a big deal to everyone.

If showing pro Ukraine support doesn't achieve anything, then why has China banned all Premier League football this week.

Football is the biggest avenue of communication between the east and the west for ordinary people.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It never sits right with me when a non-political authority stands up and says 'this is what we and everyone who comes under our banner thinks.'.

Let people express themselves individually rather than forcing a narrative upon them. I thought we were a country of freedom and democracy. As mentioned above, our owners may not be that comfortable about being forced to do this regardless of their individual feelings on the matter. There's nothing wrong with keeping your feelings to yourself.

Are Wolves a voice for Fosun or a voice for the people of Wolverhampton? Both I suppose.

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The invasion is ongoing?

We know we can't get get involved when it comes to combact. But the west coming together staying strong showing support atleast shows some resolve and that it is a big deal to everyone.

If showing pro Ukraine support doesn't achieve anything, then why has China banned all Premier League football this week.

Football is the biggest avenue of communication between the east and the west for ordinary people.
I don't want to be argumentative but staying strong, showing resolve cancelling matches etc - what good does that do for the millions fearing (and losing) their lives and country? Wave your flags by all means- but put your hand in your pocket too. That's my opinion.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s a difference between saying No to War and showing actual support to Ukraine.

They wouldnt have sanctioned that though if they had a problem with it as everyone knows what and who its aimed at.

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
Are Wolves a voice for Fosun or a voice for the people of Wolverhampton? Both I suppose.
Good question. I'd say that Wolves are simply a football club (it's in the name). They are not a voice or platform for any politically motivated cause or group. Politicians are elected to be the voice of the people of Wolverhampton.
Wolves try to win football matches. Excluding last weekend of course.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

Good question. I'd say that Wolves are simply a football club (it's in the name). They are not a voice or platform for any politically motivated cause or group. Politicians are elected to be the voice of the people of Wolverhampton.
Wolves try to win football matches. Excluding last weekend of course.
So why do wolves players take the knee before every game if they aren’t a voice or platform for any politically motivated cause or group?

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I don't want to be argumentative but staying strong, showing resolve cancelling matches etc - what good does that do for the millions fearing (and losing) their lives and country? Wave your flags by all means- but put your hand in your pocket too. That's my opinion.
I agree that first and foremost people need to put their hands in their pockets. However, showing support to Ukrainians, who will see their flags being waved at stadiums and on footballers shirts, will make a difference to them. As I said earlier, I know it has had a huge impact on one of the Ukrainian lads I teach at uni (his parents are still in Ukraine). We can donate, but beyond that many of us feel helpless, so showing our support is all we can do at the moment. Not sure why you feel the need to belittle people with your "Wave your flag by all means" comment, as if that is below your standards of proper support. You can donate and show support, not sure why you want to criticise people for doing so.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How so? 10 days after the invasion? What is useful about it?

For what it’s worth, if you’re huddled in a shelter in a city in Ukraine and still have access to power and mobile internet, or a refuge newly arrived in a neighbouring country, then perhaps seeing people across the west expressing their solidarity on the streets and in stadiums gives you some hope that you’re not alone and forgotten. Yes we should also contribute humanitarian support, and there are many ways people can do this, and have been doing this.

I’m not a big supporter of sports getting involved in political movements, but sport comes with supporters, and across Europe, they are mostly United in expressing their hatred of what’s going on in Ukraine and so many wish to express their support for those suffering to our east. In our specific case, we have a key player who is dual nationality Ukrainian and I absolutely think it’s right we and the club express our support at this time.

Lycaon

Reaction score
Unfortunately the old saying of don’t mix sport with politics is a myth, both are inextricably linked. Throughout the course of history there are countless examples of how a government has used sporting events for it’s own means and nothing will change in that regard. Isn’t “Sportswashing” the new buzzword for this type of thing?

As today’s football games go, yes by all means show your support for Ukraine, however in other countries with a different ideology it won’t necessarily be seen as support but more of a protest on a mass scale.

Admittedly, Fosun are stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one and you can hardly blame them for not issuing any kind of endorsement.

It’s really no surprise that China has pulled this weekend’s broadcasts and this is just the beginning unless there’s a dramatic change of events in Eastern Europe.

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I agree that first and foremost people need to put their hands in their pockets. However, showing support to Ukrainians, who will see their flags being waved at stadiums and on footballers shirts, will make a difference to them. As I said earlier, I know it has had a huge impact on one of the Ukrainian lads I teach at uni (his parents are still in Ukraine). We can donate, but beyond that many of us feel helpless, so showing our support is all we can do at the moment. Not sure why you feel the need to belittle people with your "Wave your flag by all means" comment, as if that is below your standards of proper support. You can donate and show support, not sure why you want to criticise people for doing so.
Don't see how that is belittling people but no matter. My initial comment was I hope people contribute. To me that is far more useful than flying a flag etc. Maybe it's just me.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
It seems Fosun are not just focusing on China. They are trying to garner a global audience. They highly value their Mexican "fans". Smart move.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Don't see how that is belittling people but no matter. My initial comment was I hope people contribute. To me that is far more useful than flying a flag etc. Maybe it's just me.
It's not an exclusive act. You can do both. Not sure why you think it's one thing or the other or why that's difficult to understand. Contributing is better, but flying a flag is still better than nothing. It means something to Ukrainians. Doing both is even better. Not sure why you're discouraging the latter. If you have contributed, good for you. If you don't want to wave a flag because you don't believe it does anything, good for you. However, you don't need to criticise and discourage others for doing so. Honestly, get off your high horse.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, if you’re huddled in a shelter in a city in Ukraine and still have access to power and mobile internet, or a refuge newly arrived in a neighbouring country, then perhaps seeing people across the west expressing their solidarity on the streets and in stadiums gives you some hope that you’re not alone and forgotten. Yes we should also contribute humanitarian support, and there are many ways people can do this, and have been doing this.

I’m not a big supporter of sports getting involved in political movements, but sport comes with supporters, and across Europe, they are mostly United in expressing their hatred of what’s going on in Ukraine and so many wish to express their support for those suffering to our east. In our specific case, we have a key player who is dual nationality Ukrainian and I absolutely think it’s right we and the club express our support at this time.
Couldn't have put this better. Great post!

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know that we're not supposed to give out information on illegal football streams, but I hope that millions of Chinese, Russians and Ukrainians can get live Premier League football this weekend via these streams. The first match; Leicester vs Leeds had a great level of support for Ukraine.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately the old saying of don’t mix sport with politics is a myth, both are inextricably linked. Throughout the course of history there are countless examples of how a government has used sporting events for it’s own means and nothing will change in that regard. Isn’t “Sportswashing” the new buzzword for this type of thing?

As today’s football games go, yes by all means show your support for Ukraine, however in other countries with a different ideology it won’t necessarily be seen as support but more of a protest on a mass scale.

Admittedly, Fosun are stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one and you can hardly blame them for not issuing any kind of endorsement.

It’s really no surprise that China has pulled this weekend’s broadcasts and this is just the beginning unless there’s a dramatic change of events in Eastern Europe.
Yes the old saying sport and politics don't mix has been a topic of conversation both in the past and more predominantly in recent times.

However, we can come on to this forum that, by it's actions, advocates the old adage by carefully moderating and actively warning about mixing football and political views and keeps them distinct in completely different sections of the site, and thus in it's own small way demonstrates the viewpoint that football and politics should remain separated.

Some might say Sport and football on the wider scale could follow the example set by the "Mix" and draw the same lines.

* Mods - I wasn't sure if this post should go here or in the politics area....feel free to reclassify accordingly

Last edited:

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s a good question.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

My illegal stream of choice is no longer showing premier league games. They state it’s for fear of being sued by premier league. It’s a big coincidence that this coincides with chinas stance on showing games.

Beer Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
My illegal stream of choice is no longer showing premier league games. They state it’s for fear of being sued by premier league. It’s a big coincidence that this coincides with chinas stance on showing games.
I may have been watching a different illegal stream to you, but they have also cancelled Premier league matches, but without giving a reason.
They just direct you to the official sites.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

I may have been watching a different illegal stream to you, but they have also cancelled Premier league matches, but without giving a reason.
They just direct you to the official sites.
Luckily they are still advertising that “sexy Russian babes are looking for older men in Manchester”

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do people think Ukrainians on the front line see a couple of no to war t shirts and a building lit up in their colours and feel supported? Maybe it’s just me but I honestly would’ve give a damn unless I was actually being physically helped. Not that I’m advocating we send troops in or anything.

kiddywolves26

Reaction score
We did the absolute minimum we could today! Should be doing a lot more considering we have a player who is affected by this war.

1minute applause and a message on the screen as instructed by the PL whilst other clubs went above and beyond by providing fans with scarves, creating mosaics, arranging bucket collections etc.

Very poor from wolves

Back
Top Bottom