Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Chinese owners - Russian fall out

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Firstly can I say how concerned I am for Ukraine citizens and I cannot imagine the pain, suffering and worry they are going through.

In light of this any debate about Wolves and our future feels somewhat like a misguided thought piece.

With the Russian oligarchs exiting UK clubs and with China’s ties with Russia plus not showing PL games this weekend (given our support of Ukraine) I can easily conceive a situation where Chinese owners are in the near future leaving English football clubs. Various reasons this may happen but more likely a direction from China than an English ban on Chinese ownership per se.

I hope I’m wrong and a resolution can be found to the Ukraine/Russia crisis (potentially by China brokering a cease fire deal).

If things do move on then whoever comes in could be positive or negative for Wolves. We have no idea and no point in speculating (we can each point to other PL clubs as examples of positive or negative owners).

What I would say is that this may be the start of the next story for Wolves. If it is we should all get fully behind Wolves over the next games and enjoy the present and what we have. Day by day who knows what the future holds.

In the meantime my thoughts and prayers are with all of those caught and touched by the Ukraine/Russia crisis and I hope a peaceful solution can be found soon.

UTW.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
As the issue seems to be that Chinese broadcasters don't want to show the Premier League support for Ukraine, it'll be interesting to see if Wolves show any official support pre-match. If we shy away from showing any official support because we are owned by a Chinese company I'd be pretty ****ed off.

Like others have written, I think this war could be the beginning of the end for Fosun and Wolves. It'll be interesting to see how the club react this weekend.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see all the England players in the next few days are going to announce whether they're going to Quatar or not.

D

Deleted member (smith)

Under the guidance of Fosun wolves have moved from mid table championship side to top 10 premiership side. They have also written off their advances ( ie capitalized debt) and said wolves must be self sufficient.

being self sufficient ie not dependent on owners for funding is obviously a very good thing if we are worried about the long term commitment of the owners

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Fosun is anti free speech and free expression, they shouldn't have bought a football club in England. Wolves, as well as the Premier League should give as much support to Ukraine as they can and if China and Fosun don't like it, then tough.
I've always felt uncomfortable with Chinese owners and this just reinforces that feeling.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As the issue seems to be that Chinese broadcasters don't want to show the Premier League support for Ukraine, it'll be interesting to see if Wolves show any official support pre-match. If we shy away from showing any official support because we are owned by a Chinese company I'd be pretty ****ed off.

Like others have written, I think this war could be the beginning of the end for Fosun and Wolves. It'll be interesting to see how the club react this weekend.
If we show nothing at all pre-game I'd be disgusted. Especially as we have a player in our ranks who has Ukrainian parentage and I would imagine like most major cities have a decent population of Ukrainian people who call the Midlands home.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
China and Russia have a recently negotiated 'friendship' arrangement. One of the ways out of this is if China puts pressure on Putin to back off; China are most probably the only country that Putin may listen to. We need something to happen soon as Ukraine will be wiped off the face of the earth, like Grozny. Football is important but nowhere near as important as what is happening in Eastern Europe.

Banks's Mild

Groupie
Reaction score
We all need to show our support for Ukraine and for me that includes the club, and what's happening over there is far more important than football, but to judge them before knowing what they are going to do is crazy.Let's just wait and see tomorrow.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just to say it's not just China. India is also refusing to condemn the Russian invasion. Countries will always have their own agenda's that suits their foreign policy position. It does not necessarily mean they agree with what's going on.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apart from not voting with China at the UN, Chinese businesses and banks are also getting cold feet in Russia.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just to say it's not just China. India is also refusing to condemn the Russian invasion. Countries will always have their own agenda's that suits their foreign policy position. It does not necessarily mean they agree with what's going on.
It means they're offering tacit agreement though. Arguably a weaker moral position.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've toned down my anti CCP / Fosun rhetoric because a) I was annoying people to no end, and b) Fosun have been reasonable custodians of our club and got us to a point I frankly never dreamed of. I'm not going to start up again, we all know the arguments, but I will say that I'd be okay with them selling up given the level they've got us to and the whole self-sufficient model. Fair play to Shi & Co.

My one lingering frustration would be that they've left the ground exactly as it was when they arrived... 'all' I wanted from them was PL consolidation (ticked, and then some) and a new Steve Bull stand to make Molineux a class but traditional ground, up with the best in the land (Hillsborough, Villa Park, Anfield etc. i.e. the good ones to visit because they're big and proper).

But of course... sometimes it's a case of better the devil you know.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last weekend people all over the world showed their support for Ukraine…..FIFA banned them, no para Olympics etc….sadly, nothing changed.
Waving Ukrainian flags makes no difference to Putin.
I doubt he even knows what’s going on outside of the war.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Fosun is anti free speech and free expression, they shouldn't have bought a football club in England. Wolves, as well as the Premier League should give as much support to Ukraine as they can and if China and Fosun don't like it, then tough.
I've always felt uncomfortable with Chinese owners and this just reinforces that feeling.

On similar principle, we shouldn't buy things made in China? And certainly should not be going to a World Cup in Qatar. Shouldn't have gone to the one in Russia, either, the regime was the same then as it is now.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last weekend people all over the world showed their support for Ukraine…..FIFA banned them, no para Olympics etc….sadly, nothing changed.
True, waving Ukrainian flags achieves nothing. But it does show some solidarity. So why not just do it?

Unless you are Jeff as I've sometimes suspected, given your unwavering support, and the CCP have got your family under the threat of 're-education'?

P.S. Xi Jinping, I joke, obviously.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Putin probably knows but will treat such expressions of support with contempt. He might be a bit more interested if the players and fans were collecting for anti tank missiles I suppose.!
If he believes much of the frankly often ludicrous comments he and his administration come out with, then he has some serious mental health issues. Tonight's "why can't everyone carry on as normal" TV appearance as a case in point- very Hitler in the bunker out of touch.
This guy won't care about any amount of demonstrations or anti Russia comments (outside of Russians of course).

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Why do you keep saying that? Football, and sport in general, have never been more intertwined with politics as they are right now. It's not the best time to ban discussion on it surely?
Discussion isn’t banned at all, it’s freely available in the politics section for anyone who makes that little bit of effort to post there.

Back
Top Bottom