Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Chem Campbell

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How much does it cost us to realistically upgrade our first-team squad now? Sven Botman £35m quoted, Renato Sanches £30m, Guedes reportedly would have cost us £30m. The bar is set that high now, that just one player coming through would make a massive difference and make it worthwhile. Kilman and MGW took different routes through our academy, but both have a very good chance (more so Kilman), of saving us a lot of money in the future that can be invested in other positions of priority.
Not sure you can count Kilman as he was about 20 when he joined us.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What academies in the world regularly produce players capable of playing for a side that's pushing for top six? Barcelona, Ajax, Chelsea maybe?

I'm not really sure what your point is, do you want us to fold the academy because we aren't producing several first-teamers every year?

It's what you said! And the reason that Brentford dumped their academy. That there is little chance of producing players of the calibre that can compete with the elite.

No, I don't want us to fold the academy. My point is to not fall into a trap of "Doing something because everybody else does it". Also,m just having an academy is no guarantee of producing top quality players. You're still in competition with every other academy. If you're only producing a players that is in the £5M - £10M every few years (eMGW, maybe?) does that really cover the cost.

I'm saying to look at the full picture, because some seem to think that selling academy players is pure profit. Don't forget the millions spent on players who will end up in the Southern League!

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sure I read somewhere that it costs between 2 and 5 million a year for a cat1 academy, obviously depending on the number of staff, salaries, investment in equipment etc. There can be a Mutual benefit though with some staff and facilities being shared

no doubt we’re still at the point where the main club still supports the academy but I genuinely think in 3-5 years time itll be different.

This summer Chelsea sold c£134m worth of players, the vast majority of those were from a background in their academy. Clearly they’re the goal and they’ve spent a lot getting there so are way ahead of us, but it shows it can be worthwhile
Chelsea proves the point .
Rubbish in rubbish out .
Be successful on the pitch and you will attract the best kids.
Wolves or Leicester or Chelsea where would you want your child to go if you weren’t a fan of the club .

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rubbish in rubbish out .
Wolves or Leicester or Chelsea where would you want your child to go if you weren’t a fan of the club .
Then again a club like Charlton have a good academy record over the years.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure you can count Kilman as he was about 20 when he joined us.

Regardless, he spent a couple of successful years playing for our academy after coming through non-league/futsal. It's obviously not the same as MGW who started in the academy, but it's much easier to acquire young players for nominal fees and let them spend time with our academy or go out on loan to a feeder club like Grasshoppers.

Whether they make it for us or get sold like Rafa Mir did, as we made eight-fold what we initially paid for him, it's still benefitting us greatly in the long run as it's another source of revenue towards the battle with FFP. I mean look at Chelsea, they basically broke even this summer despite signing Lukaku for £110m because they sold players they brought through their academy (Tomori, Abraham) or signed as promising youngsters (Zouma).

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regardless, he spent a couple of successful years playing for our academy after coming through non-league/futsal. It's obviously not the same as MGW who started in the academy, but it's much easier to acquire young players for nominal fees and let them spend time with our academy or go out on loan to a feeder club like Grasshoppers.

Whether they make it for us or get sold like Rafa Mir did, as we made eight-fold what we initially paid for him, it's still benefitting us greatly in the long run as it's another source of revenue towards the battle with FFP. I mean look at Chelsea, they basically broke even this summer despite signing Lukaku for £110m because they sold players they brought through their academy (Tomori, Abraham) or signed as promising youngsters (Zouma).
Not to be argumentative, but I believe Kilman started in the Fulham Academy.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not to be argumentative, but I believe Kilman started in the Fulham Academy.

Makes you question why they let him go! Just have to praise our scouts for identifying his talent when he was at Maidenhead.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Noticed Bruno name checking Chem in his press conference today when discussing Chiquinho and that Chem has been here since day 1, and should be considered the same as him (so arguably ahead of him)

Not many of us called out Campbell when discussing our best prospects recently but he’s consistently on the bench and must be the next young lad in line to be promoted to the first team squad permanently after Luke Cundle

We have a kid from our Academy Chem [Campbell], I put these kids at the same level because Chem was working with us since the first day and also has the same profile.

Is he ready for more minutes and a debut? Scored a couple for the U23s recently. Maybe even a surprise inclusion v Norwich as Bruno has name checked him today… does he look ready for a shot?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chem will be needed as Hwang still not ready for another two weeks and Neto not back for another month. Our attacking options are a bit thin. Have to hope Trincao, Chiquinho and Campbell are up to speed in the next couple of weeks as it looks like they may all be needed.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chem will be needed as Hwang still not ready for another two weeks and Neto not back for another month. Our attacking options are a bit thin. Have to hope Trincao, Chiquinho and Campbell are up to speed in the next couple of weeks as it looks like they may all be needed.
Yeah, he goes into it a bit more in the 10:30 update. With the injured players still a way off it’s down to Chiquinho, and Chem, to be the impact players from the bench

You only know kids a good enough if the get a chance! Looks like Chems chance is upon him

I like the lad, think there’s a real talent there and looked good for the first team in pre season. Any minutes are likely from the bench but it’s these two we will be turning to, to change games now and make an impact on games

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, he goes into it a bit more in the 10:30 update. With the injured players still a way off it’s down to Chiquinho, and Chem, to be the impact players from the bench

You only know kids a good enough if the get a chance! Looks like Chems chance is upon him

I like the lad, think there’s a real talent there and looked good for the first team in pre season. Any minutes are likely from the bench but it’s these two we will be turning to, to change games now and make an impact on games

We will need them to make an impact this month by the looks of it. Hwang not back for another 2 weeks and Neto wont be playing until at least next month.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rubbish in rubbish out .
Not necessarily. 'Offer something parents value' is quite fluid as the unique selling point of the club will depend on so many variables. Birmingham, however, have been very successful over the years by offering a clear path to first team football. Dario Gradi used to point to his track record. One of the London clubs (I don't remember which one) focused on how they prepared the players educationally in case their career didn't go as planned. A lot of this stuff seems nebulous to us, but it is powerful and extends the motive beyond simply success on the field.

Wolves have always struggled with a USP. It stems from the Moxey years of 'doing a Birmingham/Everton/Charlton/Albion' rather than creating an identity. It's like all the bars in wv1 playing the same trashy music so nobody takes a risk of doing something different in case they have one bad night. I've never understood this desperation to be part of the crowd. Do something different, take a risk. It might not work, but if you're considering an alternative approach, that alone suggests what you're doing is in need of a refresh.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pretty sure it was his league debut.
Thought he did well.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought he was a lot better than hwang to be fair
Damned with faint praise.

I was expecting Chem to stand-out a bit, add something different, instead just reminded me of watching a U23 game. Or the second season of Championship under Jackett where he played everyone in the wrong position.

Chem needs to be playing Championship football for a season. Most likely end-up in League 1 like Ennis.

Wolowolf6

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Only positive yesterday was him getting a go. Love seeing the young uns come through

Me too. Been wanting to see it for a while so I couldn’t really complain either when I saw Cundle on the team sheet last night.

As others have said, there wasn’t a huge amount of time for Campbell to make a mark, but I actually thought Cundle did ok. Sure he was a bit too negative but there wasn’t a lot going on in front of him and he’s a kid out to impress; he’s not going to want to be culpable of huge mistakes trying to make things too complex.

Also looking forward to seeing MGW, Giles and possibly Sanderson all given their chance next season.

R

reanswolf

I'm afraid I just expect Wolves youngsters to be little, lightweight, and a bit meh!

I know that's a bit harsh to say the least, they need time to evolve, but that is why some of us got prematurely a bit excited about Otasowie - he had the hallmarks of a big, strident, mobile lad who could make a difference instead of these little, safe-pass types. The fact he has failed to kick on doesn't change that fact.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm afraid I just expect Wolves youngsters to be little, lightweight, and a bit meh!

I know that's a bit harsh to say the least, they need time to evolve, but that is why some of us got prematurely a bit excited about Otasowie - he had the hallmarks of a big, strident, mobile lad who could make a difference instead of these little, safe-pass types. The fact he has failed to kick on doesn't change that fact.
Otasowie doesn't even play football anymore

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we are all surprised lage rates chem so highly. I was thinking a league 1 loan or sth.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno seems to rate him really highly. Level with Chiquinho according to Bruno. Could see him following Cundle into the first team squad soon.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno seems to rate him really highly. Level with Chiquinho according to Bruno. Could see him following Cundle into the first team squad soon.
Yep, although both need a loan next season which will also create upward movement for the the lads in the u18s

Back
Top Bottom