Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Chelsea

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ha ha, I remember chanting "Osgood Nogood, Osgood Nogood" back in the day.
I really appreciate some of the old mix geezers triggering these old memories. :blush:
This might put a smile on your face as I know how you and others feel about Leeds.
David Webb heading the 1970 FA Cup Replay winner against Leeds. For our younger readers….there were no penalty shoot outs, games had to be replayed.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All the talk about the big 6 and the genuine question from me to those who remember the pre-PL years - was Chelsea ever considered one of the top clubs in the country? 1970s, 1980s?

I can understand Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal and to some degree Spurs and City but Chelsea? Ken Bates bought them in early 1980s and by the time of Abramovich's arrival, they already had been a top 6 side, with some good players around the team. It would be fair play to them if they continued that organic growth but they preferred to make the next step using the dirty Russian money. Hence, I have no sympathy to them whatsoever. They can even go bust as far as I'm concerned.
For a lot of the 70s and 80s they bounced between the first and second division. My first game was the 2nd division title decider in 1977. They were not seen as a force at all, probably better known for their fans and the trouble they caused. Ken Bate’s famously suggesting putting electric fencing up for terraces.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah but, the fans haven't been moaning about it whilst the trophies have rolled in. Also singing Abramovich name for the last 2 matches.
I'm sure they'll wriggle out of it anyhow so enjoy seeing them squirm whilst you can.

I remember classless Chelsea fans thinking it funny to wave £20 and £50 notes at away fans and behave like a bunch of Burberry wearing, tattooed chavs who struck lucky on the Euromillions shoving their wealth in other teams faces. So for the last day or so I have found myself singing the Bob Dylan classic " Like a Rolling Stone " ( join in @Rhoswolf :):):):):) )

Once upon a time you dressed so fine
Threw the bums a dime in your prime didn't you ?
People said " Beware doll, you're bound to fall
You thought they were kidding you
You used to laugh about, everyone that was hanging out
Now you don't talk so loud
Now you don't seem so proud
About having to be scrounging your next meal

How does it feel, how does it feel
To be without a home
Like a complete unknown, like a rolling stone

Last edited:

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember classless Chelsea fans thinking it funny to wave £20 and £50 notes at away fans and behave like a bunch of Burberry wearing, tattooed chavs who struck lucky on the Euromillions shoving their wealth in other teams faces. So for the last day or so I have found myself singing the Bob Dylan classic " Like a Rolling Stone " ( join in @Rhoswolf :):):):):) )

People said " Before doll, you're bound to fall

To be without a home
As a Wolves/Chelsea fan in the early70's, have to like a bit of Dylan.:)

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

People said " Before doll, you're bound to fall

To be without a home
Love a bit of Dylan!!!

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They won their one and only league title in pre-PL times in 54-5, pipping us to the title when they beat us 1-0 in a title decider at Stamford Bridge before a crowd of over 70,000. But they were very up and down. I can remember us beating them 8-1, 6-1 and 5-1 in the 50s/ early 60s but also them beating us 6-2 in a game in which an 18 year-old Jimmy Greaves scored 5! He was marked that day by some bloke called Billy Wright.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They won their one and only league title in pre-PL times in 54-5, pipping us to the title when they beat us 1-0 in a title decider at Stamford Bridge before a crowd of over 70,000. But they were very up and down. I can remember us beating them 8-1, 6-1 and 5-1 in the 50s/ early 60s but also them beating us 6-2 in a game in which an 18 year-old Jimmy Greaves scored 5! He was marked that day by some bloke called Billy Wright.
they have had some big crowds over the years and are one of only 9 clubs to have topped
the average home attendance tables
you will of course remember the famous youth cup match when Ted showed Jimmy how it was done!

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
they have had some big crowds over the years and are one of only 9 clubs to have topped
the average home attendance tables
you will of course remember the famous youth cup match when Ted showed Jimmy how it was done!
Yes indeed. I regret I didn't see that legendary come back. 7-6 aggregate win after we lost the first leg 1-5!! One of the greatest come backs ever.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I recall that Greaves game all too well. I don't think Billy was quite the same player after it.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Nothing at all, I was jesting a bit.
Although when I was an apprentice 50 years one of the old guys in the toolroom ate beetroot sandwiches every day, he was an institution.
The only thing wrong with beetroot is it's ability to stain clothing if you can't deal with it soon after it's landed on them.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

People said " Beware doll, you're bound to fall

To be without a home
At the Port Vale friendly after our benevolent CCP-linked investment firm owners bought us we were singing 'we're ****ing rich'.

I'm not anti-us, and I hate Chelsea, but they were never tin pot, were always very well supported, and were on the up before Roman's money. But **** em anyway.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the Port Vale friendly after our benevolent CCP-linked investment firm owners bought us we were singing 'we're ****ing rich'.

I'm not anti-us, and I hate Chelsea, but they were never tin pot, were always very well supported, and were on the up before Roman's money. But **** em anyway.
I read somewhere that Ambramovich' purchase stopped them defaulting on a £75 million loan , that would have meant financial chaos. Thats not "on the up"

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£28m a month wage bill. Just shows the level of unfair advantage we face to break into the top 6!
It shows how strong the glass ceiling is when teams with owners that have the wealth of Wolves and Villa remain huge underdogs to ever become regular top 6 members. It now requires ludicrously wealthy owners AND no desire to see any ROI

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a surprise. The banks are unable to deal with anything sanctioned. They will need govt authorisation to allow them to trade.
Yep. Sanctions are a minefield in our world, and there will be nothing allowed to happen without express consent. Huge blow to Chelsea.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep. Sanctions are a minefield in our world, and there will be nothing allowed to happen without express consent. Huge blow to Chelsea.
What are the chances of a sale going through and what happens to the money if it does?

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What are the chances of a sale going through and what happens to the money if it does?
It will either go through as proceeds of crime and go to the govt, or, a sundry account which has been established to go directly to charity. The govt will clearly allow the license to allow the sale otherwise it would innevitably go into administration which would be more of a headache for the govt. They wont want hundreds of jobs, and an institution going under based on something they have actioned. The interesting part will be who decides what bid is acceptable. Valuing a football club must be far more challenging than valuing a normal business. Most of them dont make a profit for a start, and its all about opportunity, revenues, potential, brand and marketing pull. The 3 billion roman wanted could well be as little as 1 billion now with sponsors walking away.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It will either go through as proceeds of crime and go to the govt, or, a sundry account which has been established to go directly to charity. The govt will clearly allow the license to allow the sale otherwise it would innevitably go into administration which would be more of a headache for the govt. They wont want hundreds of jobs, and an institution going under based on something they have actioned. The interesting part will be who decides what bid is acceptable. Valuing a football club must be far more challenging than valuing a normal business. Most of them dont make a profit for a start, and its all about opportunity, revenues, potential, brand and marketing pull. The 3 billion roman wanted could well be as little as 1 billion now with sponsors walking away.
Thanks for that mate makes interesting reading.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sale would surely go to sealed bids I’d presume. With a £28m a month wage bill the Government want them to survive as that’s about £10m in income tax.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It shows how strong the glass ceiling is when teams with owners that have the wealth of Wolves and Villa remain huge underdogs to ever become regular top 6 members. It now requires ludicrously wealthy owners AND no desire to see any ROI

Not even ridiculous wealth helps now FFP has put play to that, we have had no newcomers to the established champions league teams since Man City across Europe.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
its a really interesting one! I haven’t looked how the club is structured right now, but I think this is a great answer.

I imagine there’s lots of layers to such a company, so might be difficult to block everything but in essence of his accounts are frozen that is that!

When I was a relationship manager and you had to deal with sanctions, it was very formal and very specific. I can’t see anything but the above in all honesty.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And breaking FFP

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reluctant to take the **** out of my Chelsea supporting mates as we could be in a similar position when China invade Taiwan.

D

Deleted member (smith)

Reluctant to take the **** out of my Chelsea supporting mates as we could be in a similar position when China invade Taiwan.
Hopefully that’s not going to happen
- Taiwan is no threat to China
-China is far more commercial than Russia and would not want a trade embargo
-China May be a ruthless autocracy but even they may be disgusted at the massacre of civilians, wanton destruction of cities all for vainglorious objectives.
In a nutshell they are more calculating smart and less emotional than Putin …they may even broker a peace for big brownie points.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully that’s not going to happen
- Taiwan is no threat to China
-China is far more commercial than Russia and would not want a trade embargo
-China May be a ruthless autocracy but even they may be disgusted at the massacre of civilians, wanton destruction of cities all for vainglorious objectives.
In a nutshell they are more calculating smart and less emotional than Putin …they may even broker a peace for big brownie points.
I seriously doubt that.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
China won’t touch Taiwan. America have said they will be involved with that one

Taiwan is a lot more difficult to invade logistically for China than Ukraine is to Russia, China arent as strong as russia and Taiwan is an island nation with a strong military.

China have not become a dominant force by making rash decisions.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Taiwan is a lot more difficult to invade logistically for China than Ukraine is to Russia, China arent as strong as russia and Taiwan is an island nation with a strong military.

China have not become a dominant force by making rash decisions.
The Chinese military and navy are waaaaaazy more advanced than Russia. Russia is a mediocre power, at best.
Plus, China is too crucial for world trade that sanctions would be very difficult without seriously damaging ourselves. Sanctions wise, it might be close to a draw.

Ernie the Wolf

Reaction score
Put the proceeds towards rebuilding Ukraine when the Russians lose

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
China needs the Western countries to make money so its a bit of a vicious circle with sanctions against them as well. Both need the other.

Back
Top Bottom