Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Castore

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Go on then - why? We want clean simple classy kits - why is that high expectation? We did it in first year of Adidas
Because you just expect that the kit will land EXACTLY how you want it to land and you shut off shop to anything that deviates from your idea of "perfect".

Those 2 kits are "simple" kits. You could argue the black panels are an embellishment, but how much of one? They're not tyre tracks or arrows or big splodges of blue. They're plain kits with a bit of panelling on (both clearly tribute kits as well - The home on to the 08-09 Promotion kit and the away one to the Manders kits from the late 80's).

I just think folks go "THAT ISN'T *PRECISELY* WHAT I WANTED SO IT'S ****".

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In fairness, I think that all people "expect" (or perhaps "would like" is closer to the truth) is pretty much what is in those photos... but without the odd little embellishments. That crisp, white away shirt is the finished article ... then some designer adds weird yellowy triangles just below the shoulder; the home kit looks pretty good to me ... and, again, somebody decides that they want little black boxes on the sides and three peculiar, black dots (unless they're part of the photo watermark overlay!). It's adding fiddly bits and bobs for the sake of it onto what are, essentially, strong and clean designs. Perhaps in real life, these extra elements won't 'pop' quite as much and blend into the background (same with the colour - best to judge that in real life) but when shirt pics suddenly appear, people let their eyes crawl all over them searching out everything they hate... June/July is annual new-shirt-hating season in football! :)

Personally, I've not bought a shirt since the 90's so I suppose it's not much bother to me but, for what it's worth, the above are my thoughts... if these prove to be the actual shirts then they're 95% of the way there but I think a lot of folks like clean shirt designs, free of unnecessary flim-flam.
I've already stated if the black detailing on the shirt ties in to the shorts design it'll probably look fine.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
You just can’t have a good Wolves kit with that sponsors logo. Not because it’s a betting company (although that’s not ideal) but because it is quite possibly the ugliest, worst-designed logo I have ever set eyes on. Same with The Money Shop. The contrast in aesthetics between those and the W88 logo is huge.

On a side note, the Adidas templates we discarded for this year were actually pretty nice.

D4B5A097-FE67-42CB-AFC5-606406B4F4F2.jpegE3F8F4FF-6E00-4FD1-946F-4A4040D3E7D1.jpeg

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You just can’t have a good Wolves kit with that sponsors logo. Not because it’s a betting company (although that’s not ideal) but because it is quite possibly the ugliest, worst-designed logo I have ever set eyes on. Same with The Money Shop. The contrast in aesthetics between those and the W88 logo is huge.

On a side note, the Adidas templates we discarded for this year were actually pretty nice.

View attachment 21746View attachment 21747
That home one would have been class, especially without any sponsors at all. Add a real collar to it and then keep it for eternity.
Never been fond of the blue away kits though, much prefer the old white one.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i continue to be gobsmacked by the ineptitude of wolverhampton wanderers' kit designers

they briefly got their **** together in 2018 but apart from that, have been complete and utter carp for my entire adult life.
Portuwolves kit and black away in 019 were great in my opinion. Mexico 3rd was decent too!

wolfie_tc

Groupie
Reaction score
I think these are just extremely 'meh'.

The away one is OK, but that's just because it's a plain white one (pretty much) that looks as much like the Admiral/Doritos one from 2002 (The collar and cuffs are bang on) as it does the Manders one, and a few others others, nothing to get excited about.

The home shirt is about as boring as it gets, the only thing 'jazzing it up' is the one thing everyone agrees looks bad (the black on the sides).

Just feels like they've played it weirdly safe, but without going down the 'clean and classy' approach that Adidas did their first year.

Of course I agree that no shirts will look nice with that logo though.

Except last seasons blue/white shirt, now that was exciting!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get what you're saying to an extent, it's tough to please 'everyone'.

The problem is mate, it is not difficult to make a nice kit. It really isn't. Ours have been ****ing TURD since 2nd Prem season.
Some of the 2nd / 3rd strips have been nice to be fair. The Mexican and Portuguese inspired ones to be precise.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get what you're saying to an extent, it's tough to please 'everyone'.

The problem is mate, it is not difficult to make a nice kit. It really isn't. Ours have been ****ing TURD since 2nd Prem season.

They have, I agree - but I'm not getting my boxers in a knot over it or screaming that I'll be keeping my money.

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They have, I agree - but I'm not getting my boxers in a knot over it or screaming that I'll be keeping my money.
I'd prefer to buy a shirt for the first time since first Prem season. It is frustrating, personally.

I too will be keeping my money, it's just embarrassing how ****e they are when it's not difficult.

The kit supplier (Castore) works with a small number of people at the club and they select from a load of templates. So this is either the best of a ****ing woeful bunch, or we have the same 14 year old making decisions who thought last seasons 3rd kit was good, or to have different shades of "gold" on the badge to the shirt or the socks.

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of the 2nd / 3rd strips have been nice to be fair. The Mexican and Portuguese inspired ones to be precise.
Yeh I quite liked the Portugal one, it meant you could barely see the classy metallic McDonald's sponsor so that was something.

We wear those what, 3 times max?

The home kits have been just pathetic since season 2.

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Surely there's someone on here with a few million quid spare who can do the decent thing and give it to Jeff with the proviso that he bins off ManBetX?

Come on, it'd be a gesture.

Kelevra

Reaction score
Beautiful shirts. Sponsor ruins them, as we know

GY Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why that daft gold bit on the shoulder? Haha, would be absolutely perfect without that, forgetting the ugly sponsor..

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's difficult to have aesthetically pleasing kits when they're just so busy with ugly looking sponsors. That ManBetX have survived into a third season is ridiculous- it's easily the most hideous shirt sponsor I've seen on a Wolves top. Plus, it's a gambling company so there's the ethical baggage that comes with that. The red Bitci shirt logo adds to the sense that too many disparate elements are clashing together.

Besides that, I like the classic vibe of the neck and arm trim on the away top, and the general colour / texture, though not such a fan of the gold triangle on the shoulder.

The home kit is a bit odd, really. You have basically a decent classic shirt, then they decided to put weird black love handles on it. It might look alright if all the players do a Ryan Bennett and tuck into their shorts. And what is that, studs? Lace holes? All rather BDSM-evocative.

The third kit looks like the pavement outside a kebab house in the small hours of Sunday morning. Rank.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As per Mix forum law at this time of year we've moved seamlessly from bursting blood vessels over impending price rises to getting haughty over leaked images of next season's kit

To be followed in a month or two following the official release by a change of general opinion that it actually looks pretty good on the players

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
Maybe we should just wait until it is officially presented by the club?
Now we have only seen a part of it, so it is a lot of guesswork on how it really looks.

Owbistbab

Reaction score
I think they look pretty good. The problem that Castore (and any other manufacturer) have is that with the commercial pressure meaning they need to produce a new kit every 12 months, they have to have the jazzy bits and pieces to make them different from last years/next years, and every year after that ad infinitum. I'm sure that Wolves and Castore are aware that most fans would want a plain top with minimal faff, the problem is if they actually produce the 'perfect' shirt this year where do they go from there in 12 months?

Anyway, I'll get back in my box :)

Last edited:

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
When have we normally released our new kit under Fosun? (Obviously not including last year, because the season finished so late). I get the impression it's always a bit later than most clubs. Maybe mid June?

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
ah well, another year with my wallet staying tightly shut.

briefly got excited about the away one until someone pointed out the bizarre triangles on the shoulder (note they're a different colour to the 'gold' in the collar)

home strip: why does every black bit need white piping FFS

and as for the sponsor..... just dreadful.

i suppose i should be grateful they're relatively plain and harmless, but what does it take to design something tasteful and in harness with our heritage.

Completely agree, that little triangle on the shoulder completely ruins what would otherwise be a really nice and simple away kit.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The new Rangers tracksuit looks decent enough, a little bland but if we had that in black with our crest would be half decent. Seems to be £95 though and maybe just the jacket!

View attachment 21744

You can guarantee our design team will say “No, too simple, too classy. We need shapes, triangles and circles ideally, and yes add in a third colour to offset the simplicity”.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rangers current 3rd GK kit. I'd have a template if we could have this in our gold.
View attachment 21745

Yep in our gold colour... simple!

I don’t know why we insist on having such bad/ complex kit designs at Wolves. 2018/19 being the overwhelming exception to the rule.

Their are some clubs that seem to consistently get their kits spot on: Arsenal, Everton, West Ham for example... I know it’s all subjective, but they always seem to come out with fairly quality designs.

Padraig

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The away kit is very nice and will be popular.

The home kit is quite dreadful. Looks like a Le Coq Sportif effort from 15 years ago. What on earth are the holes down the side?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Go on then - why? We want clean simple classy kits - why is that high expectation? We did it in first year of Adidas
In all fairness this place was up in absolute arms about the colour of the first Adidas kit.

(A standard problem really, no one can ever agree on the correct shade of old gold)

Corporal Hicks

Groupie
Reaction score
Unimpressed if correct made even worse by the ridiculously dreadful sponsor logo.
Is it really that difficult year on year to come up with a clean, simple design? Who pulls these things together, the project teams from The Apprentice?

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This annual thread, with much the same comments ever year, always reminds me of the "you can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time " phrase.

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think they look pretty good. The problem that Castore (and any other manufacturer) have is that with the commercial pressure meaning they need to produce a new kit every 12 months, they have to have the jazzy bits and pieces to make them different from last years/next years, and every year after that ad infinitum. I'm sure that Wolves and Castore are aware that most fans would want a plain top with minimal faff, the problem is if they actually produce the 'perfect' shirt this year where do they go from there in 12 months?

Anyway, I'll get back in my box :)
No, don't, it's a very fair point - these are not just something that signifies an identity (for want of a better term) but a commercial undertaking. It's probably quite a thankless task to produce something that both satisfies the purists and is distinct enough from last years model that people will buy it!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep in our gold colour... simple!

I don’t know why we insist on having such bad/ complex kit designs at Wolves. 2018/19 being the overwhelming exception to the rule.

Their are some clubs that seem to consistently get their kits spot on: Arsenal, Everton, West Ham for example... I know it’s all subjective, but they always seem to come out with fairly quality designs.
West Ham's design process seems to be what will look good with jeans and a pair trainers while holding a pint next to the fruit machine.

Which is all I want really.

Back
Top Bottom