Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Burnley - What are they all about now ?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are on the verge of a takeover will spend heavy especially if they lose James Tarkowski. Good luck to them rather play teams like Burnley than the likes of Sheffield United who tired to play a similar style and failed

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is a depth of competitive football in this league because every club gets a vast sum of money every year.
Once you have been in this league for three years you should start to play positive football.
You do not need rich owners after many years at this level .
I watch Burnley and believe they are just hoping that there are three teams that through either bad luck or lack of resources ( newly promoted sides) will be relegated.
One year that passive approach wont work . Up until then we watch frustrating football .
Cant wait until Monday ..

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking at the two likely starting XIs, I wouldn't bet against them physically beating us in every department and beating us 2-0. And their fans will be laughing their winkies off at this thread afterwards.

Clarets4me

Reaction score
Clarets fan in peace, thanks to admins for letting me on ...

Just to put a few things straight, the Club's invested heavily in up-grading our Academy set-up which was Category 3 in 2016-17, to the point that it was awarded Category 1 status for the 2020-21 season. All previous Director's loans have been repaid, and Turf Moor brought back into Club ownership. We've also spent £11m on redeveloping the Club's Training complex at Gawthorpe. This facility was one of the first in the Country in the late 1950's, but had barely been improved since. In addition, well over £7m has gone on new facilities for fans who live with disabilities.. The Accounts ending 30/6/2019 showed a £40m cash figure in " the Bank ", but I daresay that's much diminished following the effects of Covid ...

Our current Directors are all successful locally born business people, and none have taken a salary/dividend from the Club in decades. To you and me, they are wealthy men, but in the world of Premier League Owners, they are relative paupers, hence the two-year search for outside investment. Sean Dyche and the players are well rewarded, ( Total wage bill 2018-19 was £86.6m with a T/O of £137.8m ), but it's heavily structured on incentives/bonus's.

Our fans can broadly be classed as two sections, the long-standing fans who remember nearly falling out of the League in 1987, and are just loving where we are ... and others who think we can push on, develop etc. We're a town of c. 73,000, we're never going to match the big City clubs for cash, so we make do with what we have ...

There's a certain connection with Wolves, we played each other in the 1988 Sherpa Van final, the last 80,000+ attendance at the old Wembley, when we were both in the old 4th Division, both founder members of the Football League, and of course, Steve Kindon .. I think both sets of fans would regard each other as " proper Clubs " ....

Best of luck ( apart from Monday ! ) and all good wishes for the festive season to you all ..

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Just to put a few things straight, the Club's invested heavily in up-grading our Academy set-up which was Category 3 in 2016-17, to the point that it was awarded Category 1 status for the 2020-21 season. All previous Director's loans have been repaid, and Turf Moor brought back into Club ownership. We've also spent £11m on redeveloping the Club's Training complex at Gawthorpe. This facility was one of the first in the Country in the late 1950's, but had barely been improved since. In addition, well over £7m has gone on new facilities for fans who live with disabilities.. The Accounts ending 30/6/2019 showed a £40m cash figure in " the Bank ", but I daresay that's much diminished following the effects of Covid ...

Our current Directors are all successful locally born business people, and none have taken a salary/dividend from the Club in decades. To you and me, they are wealthy men, but in the world of Premier League Owners, they are relative paupers, hence the two-year search for outside investment. Sean Dyche and the players are well rewarded, ( Total wage bill 2018-19 was £86.6m with a T/O of £137.8m ), but it's heavily structured on incentives/bonus's.

Our fans can broadly be classed as two sections, the long-standing fans who remember nearly falling out of the League in 1987, and are just loving where we are ... and others who think we can push on, develop etc. We're a town of c. 73,000, we're never going to match the big City clubs for cash, so we make do with what we have ...

There's a certain connection with Wolves, we played each other in the 1988 Sherpa Van final, the last 80,000+ attendance at the old Wembley, when we were both in the old 4th Division, both founder members of the Football League, and of course, Steve Kindon .. I think both sets of fans would regard each other as " proper Clubs " ....

Best of luck ( apart from Monday ! ) and all good wishes for the festive season to you all ..
Thanks for clarifying the financial situation at your club, clearly it’s being run very sensibly which is to be applauded. If you continue your stay in the Premier League for another 5 year or more would you expect more spent on developing the squad and playing style or are you happy just to be there competing..?

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score

Thanks for that.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Thank you for the informed insight. Truthfully l don't like Burnley's style but do admire the way that the club has gone about things.

C

Claretforever

Hi chaps, and thanks for the add from Admin.

I was just reading through this post as it had been linked on our forum (we are watching you! Ha), so I’m responding to various comments here.

Link to Up The Clarets: Wolves Forum -

Some of you make some very good points, and others are a little off the mark, so I just though I’d add a view from a Claret.

This is our seventh season out of twelve. Let’s put that into a little perspective though; in 2009 Burnley were in debt to the tune of around £18m (I won’t go through the ITV Digital fiasco here as you’ll know how that affected dozens of clubs). Doesn’t seem a lot, but in the Championship with a £7m match day income and very little commercial revenue it was a noose around our neck. Sky money at the time was £33m (versus £100m+ now), so we went up for one season, paid off our debts, increased our wages and went down playing lovely football. We were debt free though.

Back in the Championship we began to accrue small debts again over 4 seasons. We had a cracking season playing nice football, and got promoted in 13/14. We changed our style a little, but still played some nice stuff in 14/15, but were again relegated. We were too soft. We also paid off our debts again (£15m from memory), but this time built new offices and Clarets store at the ground. At the same time we spend a further £4m (I think) on infrastructure such as wiring and lighting, new floodlights for TV etc.

After being promoted again we spend £11m on a new training complex and committed to about £3-4m per year for the academy, which has just reached Cat 1 level. I’ll come back to that. We have also spent £12m I believe on the two new corner stands with very impressive facilities for the disabled supporters of both home and away teams.

The worrying comments I see here are the ones, mainly by one poster, who refers to us not having black players, which is media fuelled nonsense. Back to the academy for a second; at Cat 3 level we could only get youngsters in who live locally, unlike Cat 1, and the demographic in East Lancashire goes against us bringing many black kids through. That being said, Danny Agyei, Dwight McNeil and Mace Goodridge are 3 off the top of my head in recent years. That will increase now we can cast the new wider, and we have a rich mix in our academy set up right now.

To add to Dwight McNeil, you could have Aaron Lennon, Marvin Bartley, Andre Gray (Wolves lad?), Marvin Sordell, Nahki Wells, Tendayi Darikwa, Clark Carlisle as just a few black players this past decade. Our scouting network is/was limited, and we cannot afford to make expensive mistakes with foreign players right now, which hinders us.

Sorry to drone on, but lastly our owners aren’t wealthy in football terms. If we are relegated we go from a turnover of £138m to £15-20m within 3 years. High wages mean massive debt which would cripple us. We try to make a small profit each year and aim for mid table, maybe with an odd chance of Europe now and again. The style of play suits our team, and is purposely to disrupt. We can pass it about now and then, but we’d get murdered against the better sides with so much pace and quality in midfield, so try to make it uncomfortable for them. As football fans you sometimes have to sit back and just appreciate two teams employing different strategies and seeing which ones comes out on top.

I’m sure it’ll be interesting tomorrow, and I just wish fans were back in the ground to see it live.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I was just reading through this post as it had been linked on our forum (we are watching you! Ha), so I’m responding to various comments here.

Some of you make some very good points, and others are a little off the mark, so I just though I’d add a view from a Claret.

This is our seventh season out of twelve. Let’s put that into a little perspective though; in 2009 Burnley were in debt to the tune of around £18m (I won’t go through the ITV Digital fiasco here as you’ll know how that affected dozens of clubs). Doesn’t seem a lot, but in the Championship with a £7m match day income and very little commercial revenue it was a noose around our neck. Sky money at the time was £33m (versus £100m+ now), so we went up for one season, paid off our debts, increased our wages and went down playing lovely football. We were debt free though.

Back in the Championship we began to accrue small debts again over 4 seasons. We had a cracking season playing nice football, and got promoted in 13/14. We changed our style a little, but still played some nice stuff in 14/15, but were again relegated. We were too soft. We also paid off our debts again (£15m from memory), but this time built new offices and Clarets store at the ground. At the same time we spend a further £4m (I think) on infrastructure such as wiring and lighting, new floodlights for TV etc.

After being promoted again we spend £11m on a new training complex and committed to about £3-4m per year for the academy, which has just reached Cat 1 level. I’ll come back to that. We have also spent £12m I believe on the two new corner stands with very impressive facilities for the disabled supporters of both home and away teams.

The worrying comments I see here are the ones, mainly by one poster, who refers to us not having black players, which is media fuelled nonsense. Back to the academy for a second; at Cat 3 level we could only get youngsters in who live locally, unlike Cat 1, and the demographic in East Lancashire goes against us bringing many black kids through. That being said, Danny Agyei, Dwight McNeil and Mace Goodridge are 3 off the top of my head in recent years. That will increase now we can cast the new wider, and we have a rich mix in our academy set up right now.

To add to Dwight McNeil, you could have Aaron Lennon, Marvin Bartley, Andre Gray (Wolves lad?), Marvin Sordell, Nahki Wells, Tendayi Darikwa, Clark Carlisle as just a few black players this past decade. Our scouting network is/was limited, and we cannot afford to make expensive mistakes with foreign players right now, which hinders us.

Sorry to drone on, but lastly our owners aren’t wealthy in football terms. If we are relegated we go from a turnover of £138m to £15-20m within 3 years. High wages mean massive debt which would cripple us. We try to make a small profit each year and aim for mid table, maybe with an odd chance of Europe now and again. The style of play suits our team, and is purposely to disrupt. We can pass it about now and then, but we’d get murdered against the better sides with so much pace and quality in midfield, so try to make it uncomfortable for them. As football fans you sometimes have to sit back and just appreciate two teams employing different strategies and seeing which ones comes out on top.

I’m sure it’ll be interesting tomorrow, and I just wish fans were back in the ground to see it live.
Thanks for the insight.

justanotherwolf

Reaction score

Thanks for the insight.

I guess if you compare Burnley's approach to Bournemouth's, one is debt-free with infrastructure that'll be there for decades while the other spaffed huge sums on a playing squad and got relegated anyway. Though I'm sure Bournemouth fans would argue their ride was more fun...

Good to know that lack of funds is due to sound investments while cutting your cloth accordingly rather than anything nefarious.

I might not be a fan of Burnley's style of play but imo that's absolutely your perogative - the day that's lost really will be the end of competitive football for me (table position decided by style points?EBITDA? Price of the owner's suit? No thanks!!!)

Reaction score

Thanks for this
Like you say a proper club

Jimticker

Reaction score
Hey up, here's another one. Thank you for adding me admin. Just came to say some thoughtful comments from your fans, much appreciated. No doubt many of you will remember an excellent day out at Wembley for the Sherpa Van Trophy Final. The better team won on the day, but I will always remember how friendly the atmosphere was, especially after the game. Two Founder Members doing justice to a Cup Final at Wembley, long may we both continue in the Premier League. Glad we were able to rob Aston Vanilla of a couple of points, Grealish was positively sulking at the final whistle.

I sincerely hope Jimenez makes a full recovery from his terrible injury, will he have to wear head protection when he comes back? Like Petre Cech?

Regarding our style of football, when we won the 1st Division in 1960 our team were acclaimed as the first side to play total football. Indeed Jimmy Adamson was offered the England job before Alf Ramsey. I was brought up on some wonderful wingers, Willie Morgan, Dave Thomas, Leighton James and the unforgettable Steve Kindon. We're hopeful that Dwight McNeil will reach that sort of standard but we need a fit right winger to give us better balance.

Good luck for the rest of your season, hope you make it to Europe

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

IIRC Burnley were the go to club for a youngster for development in the 60's ?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Welcome on here! I see it as an interesting game. Burnley obviously have the physical edge whereas Wolves offer pace and skill on the ball. With the Wolves being so up and down who knows what team will turn up il say 1-1. Dyche is a fabulous manager and plays to his strengths. Good luck with the takeover and Merry Christmas to all reading.

Clarets4me

Reaction score
We certainly had a tremendous youth set-up ... When we signed Frank Casper from Rotherham for £30,000 in 1967, I believe it was the first fee we'd paid a League Club for a player in 12 years !!

Players who started at Burnley stem from Tommy Lawton in the 1930's, and include John Connelly, Willie Morgan, Andy Lochead, Leighton James, Ralph Coates, Dave Thomas, Mick Doherty, Martin Dobson, Brian Flynn, Trevor Stephen, Brian Laws and Lee Dixon ..

Jimticker

Reaction score
IIRC Burnley were the go to club for a youngster for development in the 60's ?
Yes, when Tommy Docherty was Chelsea manager he sent his son, Mick, to Burnley to learn his trade as a footballer. We survived by bringing the young lads through then selling them on, but then clubs started looking to Europe and South America. I've already heard bleating from an EPL manager about being disadvantaged by not being able to sign young European players after Brexit, until we get back to developing English players we will never win the World Cup again. But are foreign owners and managers that bothered about England ‍♂️

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As unfashionable as they may seem (and result permitting tomorrow I may not be repeating this!), you have to respect them as a club.

They appear to not have a pot to **** in, but regularly get decent PL finishes, and in Dyche they’ve got a solid manager.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always liked Burnley, proper club with proper fans. Always seem to have good honest players and as a manager you can only admire Dyche regardless of the football played.

A great away day as well, proper no frills ground and get to have a beer on the cricket pitch next door. I remember going there in the early 2000's, blistering hot day having a few beers on the cricket pitch, load of little 6-8 year old burnley kids having a kick about. The some fat kid who was about 11 in a wolves shirt goes over and starts cutting them all in half, was very funny (perhaps one of those things you need to see yourself but was hard not to laugh at the fat kid from willy wonka kicking other kids a foot up in the air)

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They've seen this thread about our opinions on them, and seem to think we're a civilised bunch.....

Wolves Forum -

They should have another look later if we lose tonight and see if they still think the same thing!

Clarets4me

Reaction score
They've seen this thread about our opinions on them, and seem to think we're a civilised bunch.....

Wolves Forum -

They should have another look later if we lose tonight and see if they still think the same thing!
We're more likely to come to blows amongst ourselves .... you should have read the Political & Covid related threads before the Moderators knocked them on the head !!! :D:D

Enjoy the game, everyone !

Beach Umbrella

Groupie
Reaction score
8 years of Premiership money and Europe football once . Whats that £400 million.
You dont need rich owners to buy that squad and a lot better players than that squad.
I do think that money gives you a duty to more than just frustrate.
They have no intent on attacking .
They attack until they take the lead.

If they go 1:0 up after 5 minutes they will be time-wasting for the rest of the match. Drawing fouls at the slightest contact, taking 30 seconds for each throw and well over a minute for every free kick.

I realise that every team tries to wind down the clock if they are winning at the end of a game but Burnley take it too far. They are definitely coached to waste time.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dyche must be the only manager who applauds every time they kick the ball into touch (noticed this last season at home). Sums them up, but with grudging respect. Dreary defeat I fear, especially if we are under strength.

Barnet Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get Burnley. I hate their football but their team is STACKED with talent I'd love t0 see play for us tbh. STACKED but **** because their manager is a pile of dog **** victim complexed Mick McCarthy type. I really hate that type of football and that type of footballer and that type of football fan.

Barnet Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They ain’t spent the money on foreigners or black players that’s for sure. Interesting transfer policy to say the least. I’m surprised it doesn’t get highlighted more tbh.
EDIT: My original post was unnecessary and I misconstrued Sedge's meaning. Apologies.

Last edited:

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This being nice to rival fans makes me uneasy. Much prefer calling mr boing a ****in Albion ****er.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jesus Christ man did you cut out those two holes from your pillow case or did you order it like that?

wtf do black players come into this??

Disappointed.
Really not quite sure you have understood the point I’m making. They have zero black first team players and hardly any foreigners whatsoever. In today’s game that is extremely unusual. I’m just pointing it out for the strange anomaly that it is, nothing more nothing less. How I’m the racist for saying that, in not quite sure.

Barnet Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really not quite sure you have understood the point I’m making. They have zero black first team players and hardly any foreigners whatsoever. In today’s game that is extremely unusual. I’m just pointing it out for the strange anomaly that it is, nothing more nothing less. How I’m the racist for saying that, in not quite sure.
Apologies. I must have misunderstood.

D

Deleted member 7206

I dont dislike Burnley as a place and until recently I liked them as a team, and I like to see small clubs in the Premiership.
But what are they all about after spending 8 of the last 11 years in the Premiership, they have a team that have scored 6 goals ( including an own goal by Arsenal ) this season.
Where has all the money gone from those 8 years ? The ground ? The squad ?
I cant see it . They come to frustrate and survive.
This is professional sport , surely a club has a goal beyond frustrating and surviving after 8 years of greed league money?
Brighton, Leeds, Sheffied United , Villa , Newcastle , Southampton , Bournemouth , Norwich even , they played football - they want to improve .
Now Burnley drive me crazy when I watch them , if I stay awake.
Horrible team, I remember them going 1-0 up at the mol early in last seasons game and Pope started time wasting from 25mins into the game. I find it amazing that Dyche calls teams out for diving stating its not in the spirit of the game and then instructs his team to time waste

Henry Palfrey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only team I've seen start timewasting at Molineux in the first half

Jimticker

Reaction score
No worries mate. Probably should never have even mentioned it anyway, I just find it a bit odd that’s all.

Back to the game...
Dwight McNeil is coloured ad was Lennon before he left, and we have a few U23 players too. We've also got a couple of Irishmen, a Scot, Dutchman, Icelander, Czech, Northern Irish etc. etc. etc. Sean Dyche prefers to sign English players, the colour is irrelevant. The banner that was flown at the City game was a protest about BLM and their anarchist political movement. White Lives Matter points out that racism is a 2 way street but apparently on the BBC people of colour can say "kill whitey" and its hilarious. This isn't a new issue, Asians especially play the race card and the authorities believe them. I was the victim of a racist attack 49 years ago. I was attacked by 3 Asians, one of whom tried several times to slash my stomach. He was only charged with possession of an offensive weapon and given a conditional discharge, I wasn't even told when his case was in court or called as a witness. I was convicted of ABH because he spent some time in hospital, he even turned up at court with an interpreter but my solicitor caught them out. I have no problem with people of any colour until they try to stab me, then I take exception and batter them regardless of colour. In fact in terms of knife attacks more whites have attempted to stab me than people of colour, Portsmouth and Stoke away are 2 such occasions.

About last nights game your manager took your best player off after 60 minutes, why didn't he start Traore and to blame the defeat on a ref from Bolton is pathetic. Would a ref from West Bromwich look favourably on Wolves? I think you'll find most Burnley fans have the same opinion of Lee Mason as your manager has, but Lee Mason didn't pick your team or tactics. The good news for the Premier League is that last nights result means we are only 1 point away from dragging Arsenal into the relegation battle, and I think we can all enjoy that

C

Claretforever

I think you may have missed my comment further up, and I was of course referring to some of your earlier comments.

“at Cat 3 level we could only get youngsters in who live locally, unlike Cat 1, and the demographic in East Lancashire goes against us bringing many black kids through. That being said, Danny Agyei, Dwight McNeil and Mace Goodridge are 3 off the top of my head in recent years. That will increase now we can cast the new wider, and we have a rich mix in our academy set up right now.”

For reference we have 7 black players in our current under 23 squad.

“To add to Dwight McNeil, you could have Aaron Lennon, Marvin Bartley, Andre Gray (Wolves lad?), Marvin Sordell, Nahki Wells, Tendayi Darikwa, Clark Carlisle as just a few black players this past decade. Our scouting network is/was limited, and we cannot afford to make expensive mistakes with foreign players right now, which hinders us.”

That might give you a level of understanding and context, also shows we have had, and still have, black players at the club. Don’t try to make out there’s something underhand going on.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have even more respect for the Burnley fans than I had before.
My opening post has been answered .
If I am right to summarise they have used Premiership monies to pay off older loans , make large capital improvements to the infrastructure and still have £40 million in the bank.
Well I do think that explains why they play as they do . A tight band of guys who are fighting for survival and one another .
‘I don’t really like the end product as a viewing fan but appreciate the Burnley fans for showing patience.
But I think they could have spent more money on the team , and perhaps loaned some money to improve long term capital expenditure.

Back
Top Bottom