Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Burnley - What are they all about now ?

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It does happen. I’m due another one in 2029 now.
Except for getting the wage bills catastrophically wrong!!

Burnley's to June 2019 was £87m, Wolves' at last count was £92m. We had a £55m wage bill (including bonuses) the season we got promoted

Burnley are the epitome of the underdog punching above their weight. Fair play to them, they've done it the right way as far as I can see (no ridiculous overspends to get there). You get the impression they're quite happy where they are and doing what they're doing, good luck to them - except on Monday

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They ain’t spent the money on foreigners or black players that’s for sure. Interesting transfer policy to say the least. I’m surprised it doesn’t get highlighted more tbh.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An interesting article on that here....

Interesting read. One possibility is black players prefer to go to clubs whose fans don't fly 'White Lives Matter' banners to demonstrate their views. I know it was relatively recent but it was in keeping with Burnley being a stronghold of the EDL.

Chuck Murray

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Burnley these days very much remind me of the Stoke teams when Pulis was there, or even Bolton over a decade ago when Big Sam was in charge - always up for a fight, and heavily reliant on set pieces.

Bolton's downfall came after Allardyce left, and it's been steadily downhill ever since.

Stoke's downfall came after Pulis left, then Hughes came in and pushed them slightly further ahead, and then they hit their ceiling, Hughes was out, and Stoke fell to where they now reside.

Burnley (and Dyche) will have taken note. As others have noted, my guess is they've consciously decided to live within their means, and understand if they get too far out over their skis, they could become the next Portsmouth or Bolton. Even if they tried a slight upgrade in quality of play like Stoke did through Hughes, you only get so far without serious investment, and at some point you have to start all over again, often a level down.

Before Fosun entered the picture, that was our quandary here at Wolves.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Except for getting the wage bills catastrophically wrong!!

Burnley's to June 2019 was £87m, Wolves' at last count was £92m. We had a £55m wage bill (including bonuses) the season we got promoted

Burnley are the epitome of the underdog punching above their weight. Fair play to them, they've done it the right way as far as I can see (no ridiculous overspends to get there). You get the impression they're quite happy where they are and doing what they're doing, good luck to them - except on Monday
Need to sort my information sources out. Can’t keep my arrogant persona up while quoting dodgy facts. Fuming.

Agree with your post by the way.

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
They ain’t spent the money on foreigners or black players that’s for sure. Interesting transfer policy to say the least. I’m surprised it doesn’t get highlighted more tbh.
Why don't you say what you really mean?

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why don't you say what you really mean?
I have said what I mean. They only sign white players, predominantly British. I’m not saying it’s necessarily wrong by the way, I’m just saying it’s truly bizarre.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have said what I mean. They only sign white players, predominantly British. I’m not saying it’s necessarily wrong by the way, I’m just saying it’s truly bizarre.

Yet they've spent more of the last decade in the Premier league than Wolves and made it to Europe too... must be doing something right.
I figure its their money they can spend it on who and whatever they like.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In an earlier era, mind you, they were a bloody good team, but you lot are too young to remember. Jimmy McIlroy was one the great inside forwards of the late 50s and early 60s, and Ray Pointer an excellent No 9. They beat us to the league title by one point in 1960, robbing us of the Double , and were beaten FA Cup Finalists in 1962. In those days they were a club like any other in terms of their profile, owned by Bob Lord who owned a local butcher's business...it's just that they ain't changed that much since then, unlike the rest of the world.

donwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If it was about the money, they call get 100 million for Pope and Tardowski. 2 seasons ago they had 3 World class keepers in the squad, crzy waste of wages, think it was Hart, Heaton and Pope all at the same time

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Burnley these days very much remind me of the Stoke teams when Pulis was there, or even Bolton over a decade ago when Big Sam was in charge - always up for a fight, and heavily reliant on set pieces.

Bolton's downfall came after Allardyce left, and it's been steadily downhill ever since.

Stoke's downfall came after Pulis left, then Hughes came in and pushed them slightly further ahead, and then they hit their ceiling, Hughes was out, and Stoke fell to where they now reside.

Burnley (and Dyche) will have taken note. As others have noted, my guess is they've consciously decided to live within their means, and understand if they get too far out over their skis, they could become the next Portsmouth or Bolton. Even if they tried a slight upgrade in quality of play like Stoke did through Hughes, you only get so far without serious investment, and at some point you have to start all over again, often a level down.

Before Fosun entered the picture, that was our quandary here at Wolves.
Dyche has publicly complained at the Board not backing him sufficiently and releasing players he wished to retain.

Padraig

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They’re saving up for a shot at the title in 2045

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You get the impression that Burnley - as a club, not speaking for the fans or even Dyche - are more than happy to be a 40-45 point club, year in year out, pocket the tv cash for a rainy day. Getting into Europe scared the Jesus out of them, too much hassle. They are more stable than a shed full of horses, have the ambition of an empty snail shell. Would bore the skin off me, supporting that.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some interesting comments on Burnley
"Doing the basics" "not conceding many" "not scoring enough",remind you of any other team lol?

What people forget,or ignore,is that not that long ago we were very similar money wise,living within our means,not spending huge sums, making a small profit most seasons, and treading water a division below them

We have been fortunate enough to have been bought by a rich company,they have several small, in comparison. local businessmen with far less deep pockets
So to be fair they have done well to survive for so long in this league

No they are not the prettiest side to watch,they play to their strengths and are pretty good at it,there have been times this season where i wish we had been as effective
So good luck to them i say,except on Monday when we put 3 past them :)

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some interesting comments on Burnley
"Doing the basics" "not conceding many" "not scoring enough",remind you of any other team lol?

What people forget,or ignore,is that not that long ago we were very similar money wise,living within our means,not spending huge sums, making a small profit most seasons, and treading water a division below them

We have been fortunate enough to have been bought by a rich company,they have several small, in comparison. local businessmen with far less deep pockets
So to be fair they have done well to survive for so long in this league

No they are not the prettiest side to watch,they play to their strengths and are pretty good at it,there have been times this season where i wish we had been as effective
So good luck to them i say,except on Monday when we put 3 past them :)
Agree with you, BCW. There's more than one way to skin a cat and Burnley survives in the Prem by doing things their way. They are not bankrolled by a huge multi-national nor a billionaire owner, so what is Dyche supposed to do? Play the football that allows other teams to cut them apart, just because some fans of other clubs don't like their style!
I like that there are still 'proper' football clubs like Burnley in the Prem. It's what makes it interesting and when Burnley gives one of the top clubs a 'bloody nose', I'm all for it.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In an earlier era, mind you, they were a bloody good team, but you lot are too young to remember. Jimmy McIlroy was one the great inside forwards of the late 50s and early 60s, and Ray Pointer an excellent No 9. They beat us to the league title by one point in 1960, robbing us of the Double , and were beaten FA Cup Finalists in 1962. In those days they were a club like any other in terms of their profile, owned by Bob Lord who owned a local butcher's business...it's just that they ain't changed that much since then, unlike the rest of the world.
he put under seat heating in the ground and then found it too expensive to run

D

Deleted member 4184

Think the point is, they've been in the prem for years now and there should be some evolution. That style is not going to take you anywhere.

What is their next evolution? They don't have the resources and/or reluctant to spend more than their means.

They got into Europe a few seasons ago

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think the point is, they've been in the prem for years now and there should be some evolution. That style is not going to take you anywhere.
Their aim appears to be staying up relatively easily. Anything else is a bonus.

D

Deleted member 11157

Nakhi Wells? Clarke Carlisle was a top player for them.

If anything and given the demographics it amazes me there are not more players of Asian ethnicity. Our support is very reflective of all ethnicities and long may it continue. People get along fine if the ideologists/dividers/**** stirrers leave them alone.

D

Deleted member 11157

It won't though, it's unsustainable they'll finish 3/4th you won't win stuff playing like they are now.

Burnley will always flirt with the bottom but I hope they keep up there. Bournemouth played some sexy football but thankfully they dropped. Horrible outfit.

D

Deleted member 11157

Agree and it was sad also. What's the point in playing if the ambition isn't to ultimately win something.

Being in the EPL is a win. Burnley have got a cup in them. If Wigan can do it ...

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The simple truth is, we can't all win the league. There have to be teams that finish middle of the table and ones that flirt with relegation. Often they will be the same teams in more or less the same positions, year on year. Even if every team in the PL had Man City's money, it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference, there would still be good, average and poor teams.

D

Deleted member 11332

Are you suggesting the Burnley chairman is running the club for his own ends ?

Where else has the many hundreds of millions they've profited the last few years gone as it's not gone into the playing squad or infrastructure of the club has it?

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom