Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Burnley - What are they all about now ?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont dislike Burnley as a place and until recently I liked them as a team, and I like to see small clubs in the Premiership.
But what are they all about after spending 8 of the last 11 years in the Premiership, they have a team that have scored 6 goals ( including an own goal by Arsenal ) this season.
Where has all the money gone from those 8 years ? The ground ? The squad ?
I cant see it . They come to frustrate and survive.
This is professional sport , surely a club has a goal beyond frustrating and surviving after 8 years of greed league money?
Brighton, Leeds, Sheffied United , Villa , Newcastle , Southampton , Bournemouth , Norwich even , they played football - they want to improve .
Now Burnley drive me crazy when I watch them , if I stay awake.

Last edited:

Wenlock Wolf

Reaction score
It's kind of in their DNA. Dyche is a battler and his teams seem to reflect that. I guess the owners/directors are happy with with where they are at & not everyone can go on to world domination.

It's kind of refreshing that they know where they are and plan accordingly, as opposed to say Bournemouth who thought they were AC Milan!

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good point about the money, I’d imagine they’ve a very small wage bill in comparison to most of the premier league

Reaction score
They were awful against Villa to be honest.

I think Burnley just concentrate on doing the basics right first then try to make use of their danger from set pieces.

If you defend well in this league you have half a chance against anyone and then it just comes down to tactics and to a certain degree.. luck.

Burnley will probably do well against teams with a lot of young, foreign players as they are so much more physical and will be guaranteed to be up for it Monday.

We are miles better than them... but usually struggle against these sort of teams as they are a little bit nastier than us.

purplepault69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Excluding yesterdays games and according to the table on the BBC site , over the last 5 games they have got more points than most other teams , seems that they got off to a pretty crap start.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They do. I think thier wage bill is around the lowest, every season. Does make you wonder where their Premier League money is going. If not that, then where are all similar clubs who are bit yo-yo-ish or lower half Prem, are getting their money from? The likes of Brighton, Palace etc. surely don't have huge amounts of money more than Burnley?

And as you said 8 out of 11 years in the Premier League, they should have more money than us! Attendances are not the big source these days. I doubt the difference between their capacity of 21,000 and ours makes all that much difference in income at the end of the season.

Having said that, they don't seem to have made much long term investment - you'd have thought that an established Premier League club would have at least added a few thousand on to that capacity. Have they invested in their academy, maybe? My impression is that they regard each season as a survival task, so have not paid much thought to where they could be in the longer term. Also, the way their play, their "identity" , is not very attractive for the global viewer base who is now a very important source of income. They look like a very well run club along the 90's and 00's model, but a bit out of touch with the current game.

Maybe they should get Bilich in? :D At least he'd have something to work with there and could make them more interesting.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a good point that you would expect the playing squad and quality of football to have improved over that time.

I think they’ve sunk most of the spare cash into Dyche’s colossal wages, then into the training ground and the academy.
Where we have rich investors happy to shove their own money into infrastructure, as it is still realised in the overall worth...Burnley still have a board of local wealthy men so that investment has to come out the TV money.

(they built a new training ground 3 years ago by the looks. That’s a hefty chunk out of first team budget if that’s the way it is).

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a good point that you would expect the playing squad and quality of football to have improved over that time.

I think they’ve sunk most of the spare cash into Dyche’s colossal wages, then into the training ground and the academy.
Where we have rich investors happy to shove their own money into infrastructure, as it is still realised in the overall worth...Burnley still have a board of local wealthy men so that investment has to come out the TV money.

Interesting! I had wondered about their owners. They definitely give off that aura of being owned by some dodgy local businessman. Like back in the 50's and 60's.

Over the last 10 years, their income must have been more than ours?

The funny thing is that their insistence on being "sustainable" and not taking any risk at all, makes them less likely to be bought out by the next got-rich-quick billionaire looking for a plaything.

Last edited:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You cant knock Burnley for living within their means. They dont have a wealthy backer who ploughs money in and they dont have a great commercial appeal so they spend their tv money on all things, not just playing staff. Dyche is the perfect manager for them as he understands it. They'll survive again no doubt, they are a modern Coventry. Look what happened to them when they tried to punch above their weight!

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have they actual sold anyone for big money? Made money that way? Only McNeill through the ranks, and he didn’t look good last night, hod I’ve only jinxed it for Monday haven’t I lol

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair to them , Burnley as a town is not going to be top of any rich foreigners investment list. In fact if we hadn't been fortunate enough to be bought by Fosun, who seem to have excellent plans on the pitch, infrastructure wise and for attracting that global audience, we would, at best, probably be a slightly richer version of them.
As to what they're doing with the money from all these Premier league campaigns, I guess some us going in the bank to protect them against the ruin when they get relegated again (surely inevitable over the few years) and presumably some few people are doing very well, thank you, out of the current setup. There certainly doesn't seem any ambition to try to become a bigger club.
I imagine Albions business plan is much the same.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lowest wage bill by a mile.

Ours is 242 million a year, Burnley’s is 82.5 million.

edit-I ****ed up, those figures are the cost of the 25 man squads, not the wages.
Wages are Wolves 55 mill, Burnley 35 mil.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 11157

They turn a profit but that may not necessarily be held in cash reserves. Well run club. Superbly organised on the pitch who'll give anybody a game. Looks like he needs a couple in though.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They were awful against Villa to be honest.

I think Burnley just concentrate on doing the basics right first then try to make use of their danger from set pieces.

If you defend well in this league you have half a chance against anyone and then it just comes down to tactics and to a certain degree.. luck.

Burnley will probably do well against teams with a lot of young, foreign players as they are so much more physical and will be guaranteed to be up for it Monday.

We are miles better than them... but usually struggle against these sort of teams as they are a little bit nastier than us.
Watching the Spurs series on Amazon and Mourinho is laying down his law to his new players - 'don't let in a goal and you then only need 1 to win' and 'you're all too nice, you've got to be ****s out there'. I think Nuno has has driven point 1 home at Wolves but we are nowhere near nasty/clever/crafty enough.

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always found it odd that in today’s game , they never seem to sign any foreign or black players .......or very few.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is why you have to change and adapt to move forward.

Burnley have always been solid. It’s been their identity since they got back into the Premier League. But rather than move forward, adapt and progress, they have the attitude that they’ll never be able to compete doing the same thing, but have now almost become a parody of themselves.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
remember steve kindon saying at the sherpa van final that neither wolves or burnley would ever get back to the top division

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the £200 million takeover by that Egyptian chap takes place then you may see a different Burnley.

Whatever the case, we always struggle to get a result at Turf Moor and its about time we changed all that beginning with next Monday.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can almost guarantee that if we are 1 up with 5mins to go we are going to have 5 mins of balls repeatedly pumped into our box with every legitimate challenge resulting in a Burnley player claiming a pen for a foul or handball.

Wiltshire Wolfie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A team hewn out of solid rock in the image of their manager. As stated above earlier, it will be interesting to see the outcome of their potential takeover and what direction they may take should that go through.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
****s sake 242 million is the cost of our squad not the wages. I’m a ****. In comparison Burnley’s cost 82.5.

our wage bill is 55 mill, Burnley’s about 35 million.
Not going to argue with the second sentence.... lol.

Actually, apart from your Vile tendencies, l might just do so.....

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
8 years of Premiership money and Europe football once . Whats that £400 million.
You dont need rich owners to buy that squad and a lot better players than that squad.
I do think that money gives you a duty to more than just frustrate.
They have no intent on attacking .

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lowest wage bill by a mile.

Ours is 242 million a year, Burnley’s is 82.5 million.

edit-I ****ed up, those figures are the cost of the 25 man squads, not the wages.
Wages are Wolves 55 mill, Burnley 35 mil.
You..

**** up..?

Never..
:sweatsmile:

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
I heard/read somewhere they have spent a lot on their infrastructure, mainly training ground/academy. Guess it is needed in Burnley region, if you want to impress potential newcomers?

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all saw what happened to Portsmouth and Coventry City when they fell out of the Premier League. That will not happen to Burnley, they are a well run, financially stable club who live within their means, unlike their local rivals at Ewood Park.

Last edited:

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont dislike Burnley as a place and until recently I liked them as a team, and I like to see small clubs in the Premiership.
But what are they all about after spending 8 of the last 11 years in the Premiership, they have a team that have scored 6 goals ( including an own goal by Arsenal ) this season.
Where has all the money gone from those 8 years ? The ground ? The squad ?
I cant see it . They come to frustrate and survive.
This is professional sport , surely a club has a goal beyond frustrating and surviving after 8 years of greed league money?
Brighton, Leeds, Sheffied United , Villa , Newcastle , Southampton , Bournemouth , Norwich even , they played football - they want to improve .
Now Burnley drive me crazy when I watch them , if I stay awake.

Burnley are in their SEVENTH ever season in the Premier League; it's therefore an exaggeration (at best) to say they have spent "8 of the last 11 years in the Premiership (sic)"

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all saw what happened to Portsmouth and Coventry City when they Fellaini out of the Premier League. That will not happen to Burnley, they are a well run, financially stable club who live within their means, unlike their local rivals at Ewood Park.
Fellaini, Frank???

Back
Top Bottom