Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Burnley verdict thread

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I haven't seen today's game due to a family event, but you don't need to watch Wolves anymore to know exactly what they did.

I'm just guessing, but did we needlessly pass it around at the back while Burnley got themselves organised?
Strangely enough, not initially. Though we did once they scored and Burnley pulled everyone back, giving us the freedom to do nothing in our own half, which we proceeded to do joyfully.
Did we repeatedly cough up the ball under pressure?
Again, not initially. In the first half, we broke their press really well on several occasions. Created 2 or 3 half chances, though mostly it faded out just before the "chance to create a chance" . Some will blame Hwang for everything, including climate change, but I thought all 3 forwards were equally to blame, doing well until Burnley penalty area loomed when all of them invariably forgot how to play football above sunday league level. All of them. So yes, our forwards panicked and lost the ball every time one of those big scary Burnley defenders so much as looked at them.
Were we passive in midfield and so conservative and risk averse to give the illusion that we are highly competent defensively?
Ah, well, Dendonker was the beacon in the darkness. Playing like a cross between Zidane, Iniesta and Bobby Charlton at their peaks. Controlled everything, ran rings round Burnley.. Only kidding.:p I forgot he was playing until he broke up a couple of our own attacks by slowing down and passing backwards. Same as usual. You got it right.
Did we show little urgency or cohesion in the final third resulting in virtually no goal scoring threat? Once Burnley scored, did we look like we had more chance of conceding another rather than scoring ourselves?
Yes! 100% absolutely spot on! Have you watched us before or something? ;)

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Frustrating second half. Soon as we went 1 down, we knew we weren't coming back.

We're just not good enough to go and make one of those European spots our own.

I like Bruno, but he has to get better at finding ways to get us back into games. Some really poor decisions from him today imo.

Raul out wide, Raul left on for the whole game, Hwang on the whole game, Silva coming off, Trincao coming on. Just poor calls all around.

Frustrating thing is, we're really not far off. Big summer ahead.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought we would win today, but I suppose Burnley are fighting for their lives, so maybe they had that little bit more desire.

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Needed a clear out 2 years ago but because of a new manager the existing crop found a new lease on life..... well at least for a 6-7 months

Sentiment a side I would get rid of 6 of today’s 11

Hwang signing is a joke
Saiss, Coady, donk, Raul, hwang , marcal maybe even mouts need to be replaced and another 3 or 4 in on top of that

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Verdict: outfought, bullied, lack of urgency and quality

We didn’t really create anything

Final word… on the beach

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
All our forwards are pretty useless right now, except podence who we miss badly.

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Trincao, whenever he gets the chance to cross he curls it straight down the keepers throat, I mean what do they do in training?

beppe7619

Reaction score
The performance was not to bad first half we should score two or three but don’t look like scoring. Then you just sense Burnley would get a chance

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So we abandon a system that's got us to the final month of the season, still with a decent chance of qualifying for European football?

I'm keen to see where we end up, by giving us a chance of succeeding, with the players we have available to select from.
It’s stale mate but that’s just my opinion. You could be right and I could be wrong but five at the back. How many other sides use this with little flexibility in the premier league. My view is it is holding us back from achieving even more. I could be wrong of course pagey.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
8 defeats in 13 since we let Adama go and gambled that none of our midfielders got injured. Ultimately, that gamble has resulted in 0 points from games against Palace, Leeds, Newcastle and Burnley and has cost us Europe.

In other words, relegation form since we let go of Adama. His haters are going to recognise this when he's gone - his impact on the game is so much more than his goals and assists column.

8 defeats in 13 since we gave Adama away for free, which includes exiting the FA Cup and throwing away the possibility of European football.

Even if people want to keep with the idea that he didn't make much of a difference, it's clear January is what cost us. It was a truly awful window.
67E1CC7E-EDE4-4DDD-9688-86A9F16CFAAE.jpeg
I know you are all love having a hard time getting over him and 8 defeats in 13 sounds bad but I dug a little deeper...

Before you jump down my throat, I’ve only looked at the league fixtures.

He was involved in the match day squad 21 times. 10 starts 10 sub appearances and 1 DNP. Over those 21 games we scored 19 goals. He was on the field for 9 of them.

Since he departed we’ve played 12 games and scored 14 goals.

So if one was to take both of those statements and compare them with one another... the outcome is we have been objectively better scoring goals without Traore on the field...
I.e. Wolves goal scoring w/out Traore > Wolves goal scoring with Traore

I know it won’t change your minds but it’s food for thought, perhaps the impact he had drawing multiple defenders to create space, although true, is overstated.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lethargic, limp performance after what I thought was a bright enough first half hour albeit without really looking like scoring. After that we totally lost our way and well, once we go 1 down, we don't do coming back do we. That's a concern for me, our lack of ideas when we go a goal down. We've seen this performance all too many times under two managers, but today was the first time i've seen real dissent and disappointment in the stands at Bruno's subs, and rightly as well. No idea why he hooked Silva when he looked by far our brightest forward. How Hwang lasted 90 I do not know - he really isn't looking good enough at all, and we really didn't need to be rushing in January to sign him. The performance smacked today of a team lacking ideas and unfortunately in one or two cases, going through the motions knowing they may not be here in the summer. You certainly wouldn't have known European football was there for us watching that... disappointing.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So many chances missed to challenge that top 6, the fact is that unfortunately we’re just not good enough. We’re in the position we are because of our ridiculous defensive record in the first half of the season, the reality is performances have been hard to watch pretty much all season and our luck has run out.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 27686
I know you are all love having a hard time getting over him and 8 defeats in 13 sounds bad but I dug a little deeper...

Before you jump down my throat, I’ve only looked at the league fixtures.

He was involved in the match day squad 21 times. 10 starts 10 sub appearances and 1 DNP. Over those 21 games we scored 19 goals. He was on the field for 9 of them.

Since he departed we’ve played 12 games and scored 14 goals.

So if one was to take both of those statements and compare them with one another... the outcome is we have been objectively better scoring goals without Traore on the field...
I.e. Wolves goal scoring w/out Traore > Wolves goal scoring with Traore

I know it won’t change your minds but it’s food for thought, perhaps the impact he had drawing multiple defenders to create space, although true, is overstated.
Far be it for me to want to jump down your throat, but as I said, his impact defies goals, assists and whatever statistical song and dance one would like to make. He's a wildcard that can change the complexion of games, and inject energy into lethargic team performances. Simply put, Burnley are a lot more vigilant and far less comfortable with Adama on the pitch. You only need look at the way the team mobbed him when he scored his last goal against Southampton, they recognise what he can bring.

Puddled Duck

Reaction score
Trincao, whenever he gets the chance to cross he curls it straight down the keepers throat, I mean what do they do in training?
First plane back to Barcelona in the summer!, can't teach an old dog new tricks!, sooner have Adama back and sell him for peanuts as only one year on his contract come the summer?.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Far be it for me to want to jump down your throat, but as I said, his impact defies goals, assists and whatever statistical song and dance one would like to make. He's a wildcard that can change the complexion of games, and inject energy into lethargic team performances. Simply put, Burnley are a lot more vigilant and far less comfortable with Adama on the pitch. You only need look at the way the team mobbed him when he scored his last goal against Southampton, they recognise what he can bring.
But he doesn’t though, I just outlined to you exactly that. We have scored goals at a higher clip without him in the squad than with him. I’m not arguing he doesn’t add an x-factor, just how much impact that brings cannot be measured. But for all the song and dance his presence achieves on the pitch it ultimately doesn’t add to the goals for column which is surely one area we can agree on needs addressing.

Considering the evidence Traore has not been the answer previously so why would it have panned out any different over the last 13 games all of a sudden?

As I said, I didnt expect to change any minds. Agree to disagree?

Goodnight.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbf, this is one of the issues with playing him on the right. Unless his cross is pin point and an attacker actually ATTACKING the ball, it’s most likely to keep curling in towards the keeper. Be interesting to see him play left side from the start with Johnny supporting.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No time for sentiment, shouldn’t be starting next season but fine on the bench. We need to be more dynamic.

I dont think its sentiment. With the right players he is still a quality footballer. If we are expecting him to run games and control everything playing with Dendoncker, we are in trouble.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But he doesn’t though, I just outlined to you exactly that. We have scored goals at a higher clip without him in the squad than with him. I’m not arguing he doesn’t add an x-factor, just how much impact that brings cannot be measured. But for all the song and dance his presence achieves on the pitch it ultimately doesn’t add to the goals for column which is surely one area we can agree on needs addressing.

Considering the evidence Traore has not been the answer previously so why would it have panned out any different over the last 13 games all of a sudden?

As I said, I didnt expect to change any minds. Agree to disagree?

Goodnight.

If we played him as an out and out winger, he would be one of the first names on the team sheet. In todays game very few teams play with that sort of player. Wide players these days for a lot of teams are as important for goals as strikers. We havent had one this season. I'm with you, as much as he brings that excitement and x-factor, how is yet another wide attacker who doesnt contribute where we are lacking going to help. He is just going to be ineffective in a more entertaining way.

Narfolk Wolf

Reaction score
It’s stale mate but that’s just my opinion. You could be right and I could be wrong but five at the back. How many other sides use this with little flexibility in the premier league. My view is it is holding us back from achieving even more. I could be wrong of course pagey.
For me the issue is the 3 central defenders aren't good enough. They constantly need midfield holding their hands.

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Frustrating second half. Soon as we went 1 down, we knew we weren't coming back.

We're just not good enough to go and make one of those European spots our own.

I like Bruno, but he has to get better at finding ways to get us back into games. Some really poor decisions from him today imo.

Raul out wide, Raul left on for the whole game, Hwang on the whole game, Silva coming off, Trincao coming on. Just poor calls all around.

Frustrating thing is, we're really not far off. Big summer ahead.
Ah but is Bruno REALLY to blame with those names?
Raul is **** (now)
Hwang is ****
Silva is ****
Trincao is ****
You can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear etc etc

And back to the studio

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My verdict is that was an absolute disgrace after the Newcastle shambles. Six defeats in nine now and we look dreadful the last two games. A powder puff attack, no proper pressing even when we went a goal down. A head coach taking off the wrong players and leaving dreadful ones on. Tactics look non existent and some of the players dont look bothered. I am concerned about Lage as yes he may not have had huge backing but is tactics and subs are very worrying to say the least.

May as well go 4 at the back now and actually try and attack teams rather than this power puff rubbish we have seen the last 2 games but I dont think Lage will have the bottle to do it.

The first part you describe is eerily similar to Nuno's final days here

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A fairly predictable fresult and performance unfortunately. Its almost like we aren’t really been that ***** about playing in Europe tbh. Been found wanting in quite a few big games this season where we might have really kicked on.

The squad really needs a refresh doesn’t it? We have quite a few good players, but I think the end is drawing near for some of them here.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have we ever scored a goal when Bruno has switched to his 442? I can’t remember one. And he’s done it a fair few times now.
At least when Nuno went to a back 4 and had us 4231 we did get goals; just conceded lots too!

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d drop Raul after today thought he was awful. Play Fabio with Podence and one of Neto/Chiquinho/Campbell.
You can't keep playing Silva ...simply doesn't score goals...at least Jimenez has the quality there,,, somewhere

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a game based on you win by scoring goals ...and for the last god knows how long ( since Jimenez got injured) ,we ve been plodding along with 2 strikers who sadly just arnt good enough at premier League level.
Get phuki or king in...or even Paul mullin

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The engine room, midfield, is pedal power.
Are people surprised we are so dismal?
I've got tickets for Chelsea away, perhaps my lad will see us score our 1st away goal in 5 games, but then again, probably not.
To think some Wolves fans want us to keep Donk in midfield next season. Why?
I've got a ticket but more than likely to give it to my brother, if the weather is nice rather take my daughter to Southend than trek across to West London, bad enough that we are already a bit of a joke amongst friends as it is.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would people take 8th again next seaaon if it meant this brand of football and goal output?

Not sure I would tbh.

It's starting to remind me of Leicester under Claude Puel, for example. From the outside - decent PL club doing solidly enough, but if you have to watch it regularly, it is painful.
My Leicester supporting friend has said the same, its like them under Puel, looks great when the plan works but increasingly has no idea what he is doing when the game kicks off.

Would we have wanted Puel? Would we have trusted him with funds? No chance.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd rather take it than any position lower than 8th, regardless of how we play. We can wear clown suits and score 100 goals in the season, but if we finish 9th and Villa finish 8th, that is useless.

How about you ask the same question to the fans of every club below us?
I've said umpteen times, I'd take being entertaining and finishing 17th then 8th and most matches being a chore.

GigaWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well done Burnley.

Two weeks waiting for that. Blimey.

I thought we were comfortable up until the goal without exerting ourselves. Maybe too comfortable. I couldn't see Burnely scoring, apart from McNeil having a couple of efforts.

Then when Burnley scored I couldn't see us getting back into it. It was just a nothing performance in the second half.

I thought Boly and Semedo played well.

To the fans who went have a safe journey back.

Clive I was about to write something very similar...the word is 'Comfortable'.....that sums up the entire squad and recent performances

Vtrpres

Groupie
Reaction score
Reading the comments on the Burnley result there is one Black Country expression that sums Wolves up completely.
“Whatever your endeavour you can’t polish a turd”.
Transfers in? Get real you know we will be playing the same basic eleven next season.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe you are right unfotunately. I don't see us getting rid of the dross and buying the required players to improve us. We will still be stuck with the likes of Hwang, Raul, Silva etc firing blanks! Going to be a struggle next season I fear.

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Since the West Ham game I have gone in with a conspiracy theory that somebody has told Bruno no higher than 8th
If you think about it all the talk has been on that UEFA fine for making Europe and I devised the theory they didnt want it to happen again but to be honest I said it kind of tongue in cheek

Then the Leeds game happened
Then the Newcastle game happened
Then yesterday

And I don't think it is a conspiracy theory, at least I want to believe my account because the truth, which is without Neves and Podence we are as average as they come terrifies me.

I went yesterday, first half was ok but didn't look threatening, story of the season. Then three centre backs (THREE) couldnt cope with a ball in the box and they score and it is game over.

The Fabio sub both infuriated and delighted me as I for once wasnt the only one who felt he had a good game.

Everyone else minus Nelson, Jonny and Moutinho were pretty average.

I can't stand the system anymore. I don't believe it works unless you play a good attacking side and your job is to frustrate, no team on this planet from Arsenal to Accrington Stanley will play three centre backs against Burnley but we do and even when we took a defender off we just put Moutinho in the back 3.

Signing Hwang was a mistake, he has the first touch of Mr Blobby and runs and attacks like him too.

Raul as I kinda felt at the time is a shell of a former player and a normal cynical team would cash in and look elsewhere.

Overall I am fed up of this season now. It started with promise, continued with genuine excitement and now seems to be farting its way to a finish where they will twist 8th with no European fine as a reason to be joyful.

Until we sell Neves obviously.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's becoming more and more apparent that we are where we are in the table because Jose Sa is having a ridiculous season. We are a very average side, as pretty much all the stats show. The difference between us now and last season is that Rui had an awful season last year and Jose is having a spectacular one this. Lots of work to be done to this squad.

Back
Top Bottom