Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Burnley verdict thread

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would people take 8th again next seaaon if it meant this brand of football and goal output?

Not sure I would tbh.

It's starting to remind me of Leicester under Claude Puel, for example. From the outside - decent PL club doing solidly enough, but if you have to watch it regularly, it is painful.

L78

Reaction score
This result shows we aren't capable and not good enough to be competing in the
europa conference league next year blessing in disguise

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll take a punt on the fact we won’t score another goal this season, probably get really **** odds on that though so I’m not wasting my money.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This'll be fun. Burnley wanted it more didn't they?
I predicted a 1-0 Burnley win because of this. They are fighting for PL survival and we are t that good after a long break. I forgot to factor in that if we had a good opportunity to push into those European places we’d also blow it. Just like the other times recently. Either the team as a whole aren’t bothered about European football and are content to finish 8th or they all lack the mental belief that they can be better than 7th or 8th.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A large part of me is looking forward to the end of the season. I don't think we are good enough for Europe. I always get football fatigued about 80 percent through the season
Its been patently obvious for a couple of months tbh
We are where we are, a mid table Prem side
Capable of beating anyone on our day, but equally capable of losing to anyone if we are just 5% below our best
We lack quality, and more importantly desire
Whats the odds we beat Liverpool on the last day after losing against Norwich?
Worth a punt knowing us

sswolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Wolves just an above average premier league team. Looks like the toon may catch wolves after all interesting run in lol

R

reanswolf

A policy of strategically-controlled stagnation.

Hard to believe we now continuously plunge to these depths, everything looked so rosy after defeat to Seville 2 seasons ago.

Disinterested players and a frustrated manager. Sad end to the season as we look so substandard.

The good thing is if we continue to drop, undoubtedly they will lower the price of season tickets as last season they almost admitted they were raising the cost due to correlation with a high league position :)-.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For me, this squad looks jaded and has done for the last 2 years (possibly more). Rarely do we play with the commitment and intensity required and today was no different.

Too many players suited to a slower type, continental style of football. That’s probably why we actually look better against the top sides but at the same time, virtually always end up “plucky losers”.

The thing with the premier league, is that two thirds of the teams are made up of physically fit players that also have some talent to go with it. 4 or 5 have talent in abundance and the rest rely on hard work and endeavour. We don’t seem to have that balance and I hate to say it but we are definitely not a physical side and half the squad don’t possess the talent required to achieve anything higher.

We have got where we are, by having a well organised and disciplined back line but I would be amazed, if we kept this exact squad and were able to replicate it next season. We are so slow and ponderous in virtually everything we do.

We desperately need a player or two, that want to drive us forward. Great as our captain is, at certain elements, I don’t see one player on the pitch who drives us forward.

What I will say, is that on the handful of occasions that we have played on the front foot this season, we have been good to watch and pretty much (apart from the first 3 but unlucky), won those matches. Which begs the question, why can’t we always play like that, are we not fit enough or something?

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's like a different club to the one in the first year after promotion.

Most of it is on Fosun losing interest, but Bruno Bruce is not helping.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A policy of strategically-controlled stagnation.

Hard to believe we now continuously plunge to these depths, everything looked so rosy after defeat to Seville 2 seasons ago.

Disinterested players and a frustrated manager. Sad end to the season as we look so substandard.

The good thing is if we continue to drop, undoubtedly they will lower the price of season tickets as last season they almost admitted they were raising the cost due to correlation with a high league position :)-.
I agree mate. I feel the same. Not renewing myself as I told you ages ago when I spoke to you ages ago, . It's boring and the excitement is waining. Dull football, stale squad and apathy from the top.
I'll get a membership , 5 games a season will do me. I'll watch the rest on the laptop.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would people take 8th again next seaaon if it meant this brand of football and goal output?

I'd rather take it than any position lower than 8th, regardless of how we play. We can wear clown suits and score 100 goals in the season, but if we finish 9th and Villa finish 8th, that is useless.

How about you ask the same question to the fans of every club below us?

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, this squad looks jaded and has done for the last 2 years (possibly more). Rarely do we play with the commitment and intensity required and today was no different.

Too many players suited to a slower type, continental style of football. That’s probably why we actually look better against the top sides but at the same time, virtually always end up “plucky losers”.

The thing with the premier league, is that two thirds of the teams are made up of physically fit players that also have some talent to go with it. 4 or 5 have talent in abundance and the rest rely on hard work and endeavour. We don’t seem to have that balance and I hate to say it but we are definitely not a physical side and half the squad don’t possess the talent required to achieve anything higher.

We have got where we are, by having a well organised and disciplined back line but I would be amazed, if we kept this exact squad and were able to replicate it next season. We are so slow and ponderous in virtually everything we do.

We desperately need a player or two, that want to drive us forward. Great as our captain is, at certain elements, I don’t see one player on the pitch who drives us forward.

What I will say, is that on the handful of occasions that we have played on the front foot this season, we have been good to watch and pretty much (apart from the first 3 but unlucky), won those matches. Which begs the question, why can’t we always play like that, are we not fit enough or something?

Really good post.

Just on the last sentence - It frustrates the life out of me. If you just look in isolation at the one time we actually set off on the front foot against Burnley (September 2018) we absolutely battered them, albeit only winning 1-0 but having something like 30 attempts on their goal.

Those first 3 games of this season, in any normal circumstance we take at least 6 points from given how we played. Yet since then we've spent the majority of the season in safety first mode and it's so difficult to see why, particularly against the likes of Norwich and Burnley who we've now played 4 times this season without scoring a single goal and barely mustering a chance in the process.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have gone from having a prime Jimenez, supported by Jota and Traore, with a fit and firing Neto off the bench, to a random bloke with a headband, a Far East marketing model and a couple of powder puff Portuguese kids.

Midfield has been criminally overlooked for years, but the reason the last 2 seasons don’t contain even a fraction of the excitement and memories of the first 2 premier league seasons is to do with our, frankly abysmal, attacking options.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh well, we've had 3 great seasons and this one has been ok.

Last season was awful, far worse than this one, in my opinion. Or do you mean the Championship season? At end of last season, I think that though not in crises, we were in trouble and in danger of sinking, undoing the good work of the previous few seasons. The wrong manager - and there's plenty of them about - would not have been able to reverse the decline that started around the time of the Covid lockdown. At least Bruno has steadied the ship. I've heard the saying "anyone can captain a ship in fair weather, the real test of a captain is running the ship in a storm". And there were more than a few storm clouds over the club when Bruno came in.

The only memory I retain of last season is of Raul's injury - and the ridiculous turnaround we did in the other Arsenal match. Oh, and the first 20 minutes of the season against SheffU. Other than that, it was abysmal, that week of the Albion defeat and making Chorley look like Bayern being the worst week for years.

kentish wolf

Reaction score
Yes what price for us not scoring again this season.
Man City, Chelsea and the scousers are almost certain no goals for us , and Brighton and Norwich are quite possible zero's .
Wolves are my team forever but boy are we on the beach or what?
MR SHI and the board and Mr Lage .....Wolves fans deserve better.
Absolute garbage again!!

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have gone from having a prime Jimenez, supported by Jota and Traore, with a fit and firing Neto off the bench, to a random bloke with a headband, a Far East marketing model and a couple of powder puff Portuguese kids.

Midfield has been criminally overlooked for years, but the reason the last 2 seasons don’t contain even a fraction of the excitement and memories of the first 2 premier league seasons is to do with our, frankly abysmal, attacking options.
Not wrong Sedge

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be honest just go 4 at the back and all out attack against Brighton. Hope Neves is back and Podence and give Chiquinho a start. Positive on the front football. Attacking 4 of Fabio, Raul, Chiquinho and Podence. Neto to come on. Just go for it and entertain the fans please.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
To be honest just go 4 at the back and all out attack against Brighton. Hope Neves is back and Podence and give Chiquinho a start. Positive on the front football. Attacking 4 of Fabio, Raul, Chiquinho and Podence. Neto to come on. Just go for it and entertain the fans please.
I’d drop Raul after today thought he was awful. Play Fabio with Podence and one of Neto/Chiquinho/Campbell.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d drop Raul after today thought he was awful. Play Fabio with Podence and one of Neto/Chiquinho/Campbell.

I'd play 4 attacking players and 4 at the back. I've had enough of 5 at the back to be honest, Jade.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So we abandon a system that's got us to the final month of the season, still with a decent chance of qualifying for European football?

I'm keen to see where we end up, by giving us a chance of succeeding, with the players we have available to select from.

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didnt look like a team with any ambition , neat and tidy for most of the match but with no urgency to play at pace to pressure the opposition. Without Neves , Podence and Neto not up to match speed we had nobody to give us the touch of magic that makes the difference in these games. Silva looked the one who might create a chance but for some reason was subbed while hwang remained although he was invisible as a striker. As the game ebbed away we had Trincao coming on in a desperate attempt to lump crosses in but he couldn't achieve that and it all fizzed out. Season over then

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
I haven't seen today's game due to a family event, but you don't need to watch Wolves anymore to know exactly what they did.

I'm just guessing, but did we needlessly pass it around at the back while Burnley got themselves organised? Did we repeatedly cough up the ball under pressure? Were we passive in midfield and so conservative and risk averse to give the illusion that we are highly competent defensively? Did we show little urgency or cohesion in the final third resulting in virtually no goal scoring threat? Once Burnley scored, did we look like we had more chance of conceding another rather than scoring ourselves?

Oldvic161

Groupie
Reaction score
Was not really expecting anything, yes we’ve had a bloody good chance of European football, especially as United won’t win another game this season, but we aren’t good enough. I think Bruno could do better, having now had a full season he should know what we need, the club must back him, I think there’ll be a few changes. We cannot just get rid of him because the squad is threadbare, if the club wants to stay in the league it must buy better players so a better way of playing can be confidently put in place, failing to do so will see us drop like others who decided not to keep up with the times.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A good result today was that WHU lost and Dawson given a straight red. Also Everton lost and stay below Burnley.
We're only marginally worse off as we have one less game to play, albeit it should have been a winnable one.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Pathetic line up
Pathetic subs

Everything about this club recently absolutely screams small time.

4 years after promotion we shouldn't be in a position where Dendoncker and Moutinho are the only 2 fit midfielders in our squad.

Raul is finished. Sad, but true. No room for sentimentality, if we start next season with him leading the line we're in massive trouble.

Whoever sanctioned the Hwang deal needs to be sectioned.

Pathetic.
Pathetic.
Pathetic.
this pathetic business is heading into @Oh When the Wolves outrageous territory, tread carefully please.

Last edited:

CologneWolf

Reaction score
My verdict is that was an absolute disgrace after the Newcastle shambles. Six defeats in nine now and we look dreadful the last two games. A powder puff attack, no proper pressing even when we went a goal down. A head coach taking off the wrong players and leaving dreadful ones on. Tactics look non existent and some of the players dont look bothered. I am concerned about Lage as yes he may not have had huge backing but is tactics and subs are very worrying to say the least.

May as well go 4 at the back now and actually try and attack teams rather than this power puff rubbish we have seen the last 2 games but I dont think Lage will have the bottle to do it.
Thinking about starting a disgrace bot guys. Thoughts?

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another defeat against very limited opposition. Didn’t create enough when we were on top and ultimately ran out of ideas (and heart) in the last 30 minutes.

8 defeats in 13 since we let Adama go and gambled that none of our midfielders got injured. Ultimately, that gamble has resulted in 0 points from games against Palace, Leeds, Newcastle and Burnley and has cost us Europe.

Fabio a bright spot and didn’t deserve to come off. Moutinho poor (and lost his runner for the goal). Raul struggled. Hwang just isn’t very good.

Sa 5
Boly 6
Coady 5
Saiss 6
Semedo 6
Moutinho 5
Dendoncker 5
Jonny 7
Hwang 5
Fabio 7
Raul 5

Very frustrating that having got ourselves into such a good position at the end of January, we’ve shot ourselves in the foot and passed up an absolutely glorious opportunity that might not come around again for a very long time.
Boly just one point more than Hwang????

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this site has just got one journ who uses different names and not got a clue about Wolves unless his agenda is to upset the team and fans.
He is way off most of the fans I have heard of Silva's performance today and recently. He is improving game by game.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That my mate is the most sensible outcome. Going nowhere with this ownership. Yes have taken us miles from where we were but won’t take us any further…Reaches for tin hat…
You need to reach for me than a tin hat!!! Absolute ludicrous comment and totally disrespectful for where we have come to over the last 5 years!!

CologneWolf

Reaction score
I brought the argument about it being Nuno's group of players etc for a while. But how long will this remain an excuse for these pitiful performances against sides we should have long since learnt how to at the very least compete with and god forbid create chances against.
Someone should probably tell you the correct term is bought in this instance not brought. Not me though, I’ll let someone else point it out. ;)

Back
Top Bottom