Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Burnley Verdict Thread

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Definitely got out of jail there after our worst performance for quite a long time. Have to take into account some mitigating circumstances though (playing in that heat so soon after the United and Torino games, with Burnley having had since last Saturday lunchtime to purely prepare for this fixture).

Defensively, we struggled to cope with the physicality of Wood and especially Barnes, who was excellent. MGW wasn’t as bad as some are making out but the midfield shape looked wrong without Dendoncker (or Saiss). And we lacked our usual quality and penetration in attack (special mention to Tarkowski, however, who I thought was really again).

Patricio 7 - MOM. That save from Wood kept us in the game.

Bennett 4 - One of his poorest games in a Wolves shirt.

Coady 5

Boly 5 - The most uncomfortable I’ve seen him in a long time.

Doherty 5 - Looks like a player who missed pre-season and isn’t quite match sharp yet.

Moutinho 6 - Pick of the midfield three.

Neves 5 - Poor in terms of his distribution but didn’t hide and kept trying to get on the ball.

MGW 5

Jonny 5 - Sound defensively. Poor end product from wide positions.

Raul 6 - Very poor first half with everything bouncing off him. Improved second half and great nerve for the penalty.

Diogo 6 - Worked hard. Things just not quite coming off for him at the moment.

Subs:
Donk 6
Neto 6
Adama 6 - gave us some forward momentum. Needed to be on earlier.

All in all, a frustrating performance but great to remain unbeaten. If we can get through on Thursday, it will have been a pretty decent start to the season.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No surprise really, we don't like playing the poorer teams of the EPL.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe we got out of jail with that late penalty and just about deserved our 1-1 draw, in the first half we could have been out of it Rui kept us in the game, we only controlled the game for the first 5 minutes & last 5 minutes of the half, I fully expected Adama to come on for the whole of the second half, instead he decided to rest Joao for Donk after 55 minutes of the second half, then he decided that he had seen enough of MGW and replaced him with another youngster in Neto, then finally he decided we needed a different attacking option with 15 minutes to go, and finally brought Adama on who then proceeded to show why he should have been brought on much earlier because it was taking two and three men to stop him with the aid of fouls, as i said we just about deserved to draw a game which with different selection we could have won.

Rui, kept us in the game during the first half. 8
Doc, basically huffed and puffed but did little else. 6
Bennett, Had a really uncomfortable first half. 6
Coady, He to was stretched and looked like he needed a breather at half time. 7
Boly, Was his usual composed self, but had to do more covering than what he usually does. 7
Johnny, defensively pretty solid but offered little in attack. 7
Neves, He is going through a rough patch of form, lost tackles, missplaced passes, i thought he was hiding a little in the second half, his confidence is really low, shown by the fact he didnt take the penalty. 6
Moutinho, Couldnt really get into the game, i think he needed to miss this game.7
MGW, I dont really see what he brings to our game, sorry he may be one of our own but. 6
Raul. Things didnt come off for him in there box but desreved his goal, albeit a penalty. 8
Diogo, Same for Diogo came up against a brick wall to often. 7
Subs;
Donk added some much needed mobility to our midfield. 7
Neto, Wasnt afraid to take players on when he had the opportunity. 7
Adama, was a real handful in the short cameo he had, should have been on much earlier. 8

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe we got out of jail with that late penalty and just about deserved our 1-1 draw, in the first half we could have been out of it Rui kept us in the game, we only controlled the game for the first 5 minutes & last 5 minutes of the half, I fully expected Adama to come on for the whole of the second half, instead he decided to rest Joao for Donk after 55 minutes of the second half, then he decided that he had seen enough of MGW and replaced him with another youngster in Neto, then finally he decided we needed a different attacking option with 15 minutes to go, and finally brought Adama on who then proceeded to show why he should have been brought on much earlier because it was taking two and three men to stop him with the aid of fouls, as i said we just about deserved to draw a game which with different selection we could have won.

Rui, kept us in the game during the first half. 8
Doc, basically huffed and puffed but did little else. 6
Bennett, Had a really uncomfortable first half. 6
Coady, He to was stretched and looked like he needed a breather at half time. 7
Boly, Was his usual composed self, but had to do more covering than what he usually does. 7
Johnny, defensively pretty solid but offered little in attack. 7
Neves, He is going through a rough patch of form, lost tackles, missplaced passes, i thought he was hiding a little in the second half, his confidence is really low, shown by the fact he didnt take the penalty. 6
Moutinho, Couldnt really get into the game, i think he needed to miss this game.7
MGW, I dont really see what he brings to our game, sorry he may be one of our own but. 6
Raul. Things didnt come off for him in there box but desreved his goal, albeit a penalty. 8
Diogo, Same for Diogo came up against a brick wall to often. 7
Subs;
Donk added some much needed mobility to our midfield. 7
Neto, Wasnt afraid to take players on when he had the opportunity. 7
Adama, was a real handful in the short cameo he had, should have been on much earlier. 8

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Performance - To be expected. Selected the wrong team IMO.

I know I’ll get pelters for this but I thought the fans were pathetic today. I was embarrassed to be sat amongst some of them. Groans of discontent at every misplaced or backwards pass. Shouts of ‘you’re not good enough’. Throwing their toys out of the pram because we’re not steamrollering Burnley. The team has set the bar high with some incredible performances but that’s no excuse for some of today’s ‘support’. Grow up FFS.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gotta stick with them through this hard cycle of games.

Get a few changes and energy back for thursday.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves doesn't have the physicality to hold a midfield by himself, he needs destroyers in front of him that give him the space to do what he can do so well. It's a big problem for us as it limits what formations we can or can't use with him in the team, but he's too good to leave out. We really needed a Donck 2.0 to come in this summer.

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
conclusion.. burnley just got mugged up an allyway

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Definitely got out of jail there after our worst performance for quite a long time. Have to take into account some mitigating circumstances though (playing in that heat so soon after the United and Torino games, with Burnley having had since last Saturday lunchtime to purely prepare for this fixture).

Defensively, we struggled to cope with the physicality of Wood and especially Barnes, who was excellent. MGW wasn’t as bad as some are making out but the midfield shape looked wrong without Dendoncker (or Saiss). And we lacked our usual quality and penetration in attack (special mention to Tarkowski, however, who I thought was really again).

Patricio 7 - MOM. That save from Wood kept us in the game.

Bennett 4 - One of his poorest games in a Wolves shirt.

Coady 5

Boly 5 - The most uncomfortable I’ve seen him in a long time.

Doherty 5 - Looks like a player who missed pre-season and isn’t quite match sharp yet.

Moutinho 6 - Pick of the midfield three.

Neves 5 - Poor in terms of his distribution but didn’t hide and kept trying to get on the ball.

MGW 5

Jonny 5 - Sound defensively. Poor end product from wide positions.

Raul 6 - Very poor first half with everything bouncing off him. Improved second half and great nerve for the penalty.

Diogo 6 - Worked hard. Things just not quite coming off for him at the moment.

Subs:
Donk 6
Neto 6
Adama 6 - gave us some forward momentum. Needed to be on earlier.

All in all, a frustrating performance but great to remain unbeaten. If we can get through on Thursday, it will have been a pretty decent start to the season.
Spot on, I'd be tempted to give Neto & Adama higher ratings relative to their time spent on the pitch though,

D

Deleted member 5635

Patricio our man of the match

The other 10 starting players were not at the races

Glad Raul kept his nerve but we didn’t deserve to get anything out of the game today on our performance alone. Very happy with the point though. Burnley perhaps shouldn’t of time wasted from when they scored and there wouldn’t of been so much added time.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Someone said on my '15th thread' that Nuno has still not managed to crack these more defensive/poorer sides which on today's evidence is true and pretty disappointing. We need a different direction v these sides but Nuno is not one for changing things! I'm still very heartened by the start to the season and pleased we are still unbeaten. Roll on Torino!

The Fat Bloke

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Nino must realise now, that this league has no easy games.

We must start with the best 11 every bloody game.

On Thursday he needs to put Jesus in over Bennett and maybe start Cutrone and Adama but messing around with the midfield is too harmful.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not great, we lacked intensity and passing was off. Physically bullied all over the pitch and generally seemed a split second slow. Burnley are ****ing horrible to watch and I guess play against. Constant long high balls, breaking up play and time wasting. Reminded me a bit of a Mick McCarthy team with a bit more quality.
Maybe just about deserved a draw for dominating the 2nd half without creating much.
The two or three best players in the pitch were there's.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An undeserved point. I hate it when we don't get credit for playing well, and that it's the other team having an 'off day', so... massive credit to Burnley. Ridiculous time-wasting aside, they were excellent, well-drilled, and we just couldn't cope. Tarkowski was superb, MOTM, and Barnes and Wood were brilliant.

I loathe having to say, because he's a ****, but Dyche got it spot on too. He knew we'd be tired, he knew it would be hot, so he set his team up to run the channels and pump long balls in and make us shuttle back and forth. He even broadcast that this was how they were going to play. I lost count of the number of times our back three were turned, weary and slow, as another ball came over and their two strikers collected it and held up play. It was relentless.

I'd be hard pressed to say who our worst player was out of Bennett, Neves, Doherty, Gibbs-White, Jota or Raul (super cool penalty aside, for a lot of the match the ball was like radioactive Kryptonite for him), but Doc probably edges it. Neto and Traore were both incisive and strong when they came on, and we got a point, but otherwise there was nothing positive from today except to say the match is over, and thank **** for that.

One final negative, though. Nuno got it wrong today. I rarely say it, and people don't like it said, but criticism where it's due (it's only a fans forum, after all). Dyche's Burnley is the very last team you start a midfield three of Neves, Joao and MGW against. No Saiss OR Donk? That was never, ever, ever going to work. Neves wilts without a bit of muscle next to him, and MGW is not muscle. Also, Jota and Raul were visibly a yard off the pace, because of too many minutes and too much heat. One of Cutrone or Neto, neither of whom would have been anywhere near as fatigued, should have started. This was surely the match for Cutrone to start and get 60-70 minutes.

We simply cannot get away with playing the same team over and over and over with two matches a week and travelling.

We got very lucky today.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One point gained,because we deserved absolutely nothing today.
I don´t agree with playing Bennett,MGW and Doherty ahead of Vallejo,Dendoncker and Traore.
Our MOTM is Rui Patricio,the man responsible for our point today..just like against United.Patricio is world class and we should pinch ourselves that he is playing for us.

Adama Traore pretty much unplayable yet again.Burnley trippled up on him and he still got through like water through pipes.
I am sure that if every left back opponent in this division is asked who he´d rather face..everyone would say Matt Doherty.
It is no critisism of Doc..it´s just how things are.

MGW is not ready for me to play on this level.
Ryan Bennett has had a nightmare start of the season.

Onwards and upwards.Bring on Torino.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Patricio 7. was ok. No fault for goal.
Bennet 5. overrun.
Doherty 5 not fit.
Coady 6. Solid.
Boly 8. Saved the game several times.
Neves 4. WTF!
Moutinho 6. Age showing. Sorry, needs a break
MGW 4. Bright first 10 minutes, floppy the rest.
Jonny 5. I'm beginning to have doubts if he is a wing back.
Jota 5. Needs fixing, but still the man.
Jimenez 7. Gets extra point for last 10 minutes and effort when exhausted.

Den the doncker 7. Strength needed. Provided.
Neto 7. Pocket dynamo. Pacey. So fast he plays AM, CF, RW, all in the same attacking move.
Traore 7. The guy you turn to when you need someone with balls.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Extremely poor performance today, got away with it. The defence was all over the shop, Bennett and Boly both woefully exposed every time Burnley punted it forward. I cannot fathom why Nuno didn't start with Adama and Vinagre, or at least introduce them at HT. I called it from the off, we rely on the wing backs so much and against this kind of opposition you need to stretch the opposition. Jonny doesn't do this, and the Doc is clearly not match fit yet. Think he made the wrong call not starting the Dendoncker either. Should've been one of Ruben/Joao to make way - we took control of the midfield better when Dendoncker came on. Thought Cutrone may have been a better option than Diogo today, against a physical side like Burnley. Definitely a point gained

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really hate to say or even think this. We will lose 4 games against Liverpool and Man City. So now we have to extract 33 /35 points from the remaining 31 games. I honestly think we are struggling and I would take 15th or 16th here and now

SeaWolf

Reaction score
We weren't at the races today and assuming we qualify on Thursday we're in for a gruelling season. But.........
We're 1 point better off than this time last year and we're one of only 4 teams unbeaten in the prem.

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I really hate to say or even think this. We will lose 4 games against Liverpool and Man City. So now we have to extract 33 /35 points from the remaining 31 games. I honestly think we are struggling and I would take 15th or 16th here and now

Go and have a lie down

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
We weren’t brilliant but I think it’s too easy just to say we were tired. Tactically we were all over the place, booting the ball hp front will never work against a team like Burnley. We murdered them last year at Molineux playing little 1-2s, stretching the pitch, one touch football. Today we let them drag them down their level, hopeless hoofing. The fact we didn’t lose is a bonus, it was an awful awful awful game.
Oh and the next time SeanDyche is on MOTD moaning about diving, his tongue should drop out! Never seen a team time waste, pretend to be injured, chew the refs ear off. Not that we deserved it but the 97th minute penalty was justice for their antics.

D

Deleted at request of member 4337

Fans atrocious . Absolutely diabolical.

3 games in! Just beaten a top Italian team and still unbeaten have a little faith

Back
Top Bottom