Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Burnley Verdict Thread

DarloWolf

Reaction score
Jonny was also ****, couldn’t go round on the outside & when on his right floated in weak balls.

Nuno got it all wrong, **** poor weak midfield & tame wingbacks. How many times he need to be told to go attacking vs teams when we have more possession I don’t know.

Saiss & Donk vs these giant ****ers & pacey wingbacks, give them a rest Thursday.

2bf ur right , wrong starting team , mgw n front 3 got bullied

DarloWolf

Reaction score
I think a large part of our success under Nuno has been based on a settled lineup. The same players, in the same position, over and over. The understanding and partnerships that come with it. The knowledge that if a player has an off day in one game, they can go out in the next one and put it right.

With the Europa League fixtures in the mix, we can't do that at the moment. And I think that's throwing the team's balance off. It's not burnout of tired players (though a couple of them do look tired) it's the changes. And they're changes Nuno needs to make. But they're changes that are breaking up the rhythm of the team.

And yes, we've played a heavy schedule before, in the Championship. But this is different. In the Championship, with all due respect, the teams aren't the same quality as the Premier League, and our team had the quality to get through most of those games even if having an off day. But in the Premier League, off days are punished.

Or are they? As much as this has seemed like a negative or worried post, I'm optimistic. I thought the team were poor against Man United and deserved defeat. I thought the team were terrible against Burnley and should have lost. And yet, we've taken a point from each game. And we're 90 mins away from the Europa League group stage. So if this is what the team can achieve while playing poorly, It speaks well for what we'll do once we come through this poor patch.

we like to play footy , they knew that , there tactics was hit the long ball n it worked for them ,there tactics was spot on .

DarloWolf

Reaction score
Bennett who has become the lazy scapegoat was not the problem.

The whole back line was poor and caught out of shape.

Midfield was non existent.

The team tempo was slow until late on when traore and Neto were introduced.

We look like we haven't practiced passing to each other all season, but I've thought this for most of the games this season so far.

Doherty is clearly not fit.

what ****ed me off was , the tempo the last 5 mins picked up cuz they knew they needed something from the game but the tempo should of picked up earlier .

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno made the selection before the game. Hindsight does not count.
I did watch the games, thank you, and in fact over Fri. and Sat. I rewatched the United game, in detail, stop and go,with pen and paper and took several pages of notes.
In these last 3 games, Traore is improving with each game. In the short time he was on yesterday, he probably accomplished more than in the United game. ( this not definitive, yet....I will go over the game over the next few days). Watch Traore get the ball back in the box as the ref blew for a penalty......brilliant.

As for Nuno playing MGW instead of Dendonker? Dendonker played really well against Torino and ran and ran. One poster said he saw him lying on the ground after the game, wiped. It was Nuno’s call who to play. I bow to his judgement.
Sorry but people were ****ed off with the line up before the game. Go and have a look at the pre match thread if you want.

DarloWolf

Reaction score
I don't get the downer on Bennett to be honest. I would have said there were three or four poorer performances than Bennett today. MGW is too slow to play that position in the Premier league, Bolly looked about as ropey as I have every seen him, Neves was poor, Jota had an off day.

good job bole weren't too ropy or we would of been fcked

DarloWolf

Reaction score
We robbed a point really. The passing is an issue and has been for a couple of games. I don’t get this players need a rest. If they do then come Christmas we are going to be in trouble.

Nothing to worry about though very early days and we have an amazing squad.

We robbed a point really , how?

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not knocking MGW, yesterday was nit the game for him to come in, alongside Mouhino and Neves.

Dendonker was probably still getting over Torino, and i sat watching our midfield struggling, thinking N'diaye would have been ideal to bring in as a replacement.

Im probably looking back through rose tinted spectacles, but i always thought he was the ideal foil for Neves in a 2 man midfield, but what do i know?

DarloWolf

Reaction score
Not knocking MGW, yesterday was nit the game for him to come in, alongside Mouhino and Neves.

Dendonker was probably still getting over Torino, and i sat watching our midfield struggling, thinking N'diaye would have been ideal to bring in as a replacement.

Im probably looking back through rose tinted spectacles, but i always thought he was the ideal foil for Neves in a 2 man midfield, but what do i know?

yeah need more grit than technic

K

KenilworthWolf

Yes, our performance on the pitch was well below par yesterday. But, and this was from S4 in the Southbank, I couldn’t believe what I was hearing from fans around me.

Constant slandering of players who, three days earlier, earned us a famous 3-2 win in Europe and are unbeaten at Molineux since January.

“Jota you’re a waste of air” nearly made me self-combust.

One fan actually started booing behind me. Booing.

We thought we could walk all over Burnley; a very well-drilled side who are tough to beat.

Okay, their time-wasting was frustrating as hell but the real frustration from the crowd seemed directed at our own players’ inability to perform. While this is understandable (because we know how good we can be), I was disappointed with the lack of positive backing for our lads who have been put through a demanding schedule and, let’s not forget, have not lost a game yet this season.

Sometimes we are going to be rubbish: who is good at their job every day? I know I’m certainly not. It is games like yesterday where the crowd really needed to fire and we didn’t. I’m worried about expectancy levels; always stay humble and grounded — that’s the Nuno way.

Having been in Turin and witnessing Wolves score three (yes, THREE!) goals away against Torino, I don’t know if this altered my view. I certainly felt calm and humbled all game against Burnley because I was grateful for what I had experienced in Italy. Molineux is hungry though, and the Wolves (fans) have to be fed I guess! I just hope we continue to support the team when we are poorer than we hope: I thought we did this really well against United, we need it for every game though.

Be proud and be loud! Wolves ay we.

D

Deleted member 5962

Forgive me if I am misremembering, but didnt our worst run of form in the promotion season come when N'Diaye was starting alongside Neves?

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, our performance on the pitch was well below par yesterday. But, and this was from S4 in the Southbank, I couldn’t believe what I was hearing from fans around me.

Constant slandering of players who, three days earlier, earned us a famous 3-2 win in Europe and are unbeaten at Molineux since January.

We thought we could walk all over Burnley; a very well-drilled side who are tough to beat.

Okay, their time-wasting was frustrating as hell but the real frustration from the crowd seemed directed at our own players’ inability to perform. While this is understandable (because we know how good we can be), I was disappointed with the lack of positive backing for our lads who have been put through a demanding schedule and, let’s not forget, have not lost a game yet this season.

Sometimes we are going to be rubbish: who is good at their job every day? I know I’m certainly not. It is games like yesterday where the crowd really needed to fire and we didn’t. I’m worried about expectancy levels; always stay humble and grounded — that’s the Nuno way.

Having been in Turin and witnessing Wolves score three (yes, THREE!) goals away against Torino, I don’t know if this altered my view. I certainly felt calm and humbled all game against Burnley because I was grateful for what I had experienced in Italy. Molineux is hungry though, and the Wolves (fans) have to be fed I guess! I just hope we continue to support the team when we are poorer than we hope: I thought we did this really well against United, we need it for every game though.

Welcome to (some) Wolves fans, the moaning yesterday was doing me and my mates head in, biting our tongue. I do think, as has been an issue for years, that some fans simply come to Molineux to moan.

Perhaps it's the years of ****e (lets not beat around the bush) is slowly being erased away that people are forgetting what we are witnessing happening on the pitch, I repeat, we are mere 90 minutes away from a group stage of an elite european competition?

Enjoy it, lessons are being learned.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno made the selection before the game. Hindsight does not count.
I did watch the games, thank you, and in fact over Fri. and Sat. I rewatched the United game, in detail, stop and go,with pen and paper and took several pages of notes.
In these last 3 games, Traore is improving with each game. In the short time he was on yesterday, he probably accomplished more than in the United game. ( this not definitive, yet....I will go over the game over the next few days). Watch Traore get the ball back in the box as the ref blew for a penalty......brilliant.

As for Nuno playing MGW instead of Dendonker? Dendonker played really well against Torino and ran and ran. One poster said he saw him lying on the ground after the game, wiped. It was Nuno’s call who to play. I bow to his judgement.
Before the match when the team was announced all the criticisms that have been made were also made when the team sheet came out. So that part is not hindsight. The domino effect kicked in - when one falls over the next one does, etc. The weaknesses spread right through the team. The players tried but the effort produced little. I think though as the season progresses so will we.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In my view before the game it was right to start MGW (similar to Cardiff last year). I didn’t change that view post game. However, he could not start with both Moutinho and Neves playing. Personally I would have rested Moutinho and had one of Saiss and Donck in. Issue for me was whether one of them was fit enough to play. If not is there an alternative e.g. a Kilman (or is this the place we have to add to in January)?

Last edited:
R

reanswolf

Agree, this was the aspect that hurt me most on Sunday. In fact I was astonished at the vocal criticism. Yes I know we were below par and the fans were frustrated, but you could almost guess this would happen, and I hated it.

I fear the relationship between players and fans has been partially changed. Gutted.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno justifiably has a lot of credit in the bank so as to speak. But all fans can be fickle and a poor run of form could lead to an inevitable conclusion, sadly.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree, this was the aspect that hurt me most on Sunday. In fact I was astonished at the vocal criticism. Yes I know we were below par and the fans were frustrated, but you could almost guess this would happen, and I hated it.

I fear the relationship between players and fans has been partially changed. Gutted.
It hasn't.

Players themselves would have known they were below their own standards, as regardless of how well Burnley played, it would be foolish to not say that we were a bit poor, now the moaning was pathetic, but for sure they'll talk amongst themselves at how they'd played.

Atmosphere will be different against Torino, namely, it'll be much cooler.

DPE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We robbed a point really , how?
How did we not. That’s the most undeserving point I have ever seen. We should of been 0-3 down by half time. If it were the other way around we would be saying the same.

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
After everyone had years of watching football, as well as Lee footballless, McGhee pontifications, Hoddle tikka takka, Connors kickabout, Solbakken struggles, Saunders silliness talk & soccer etc...

I kept watching v Burnley, aka refeshing my naff stream, half waiting to see if Traore would come on, but this is the era of Nuno Nous, so gawd help us if we lose 3 on the bounce like last year (6 games on bounce) compared to draw 3 this season...

...and we in our best top flight home run of unbeaten games since 1979.

As Shanks(?) said..."it's a marathon, not a sprint"

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had a poor performance, get over it!! This is some marathon that we’re on. We voted for it so allowances have to be made!!

This team has taken us to heights we haven’t seen for 40 years and deserve to be backed 200% every game! EVERY game, especially when they are out of sorts or out on their feet!

I’m very disappointed to read that there was some moaning, even some booing on Sunday! Those people are entitled to moan and boo but what kind of supporter are you ?????

This is a long haul season.... they need us right behind them more than ever!!

Liskeard wolf

Reaction score
We had a poor performance, get over it!! This is some marathon that we’re on. We voted for it so allowances have to be made!!

This team has taken us to heights we haven’t seen for 40 years and deserve to be backed 200% every game! EVERY game, especially when they are out of sorts or out on their feet!

I’m very disappointed to read that there was some moaning, even some booing on Sunday! Those people are entitled to moan and boo but what kind of supporter are you ?????

Agreed. We are in a building process. We're not gonna be Barcelona over night.
Patience everyone :confused:

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
How did we not. That’s the most undeserving point I have ever seen. We should of been 0-3 down by half time. If it were the other way around we would be saying the same.
Interestingly on the stats they show on MotD we had a higher expected goals stat than Burnley. Not that it necessarily means anything.

Think we were worthy of a point though and we kept going to the very end. It was a frustrating watch for us but Burnley were hanging on for the last 35 minutes. Burnley may have edged it but it wasn't robbery by any means. When a team is wasting so much time from 20 mins onwards, disrupting play, faking injuries, hanging on, I don't think it can be termed as robbery. Even though we played badly we didn't lose, Burnley were unable to beat us in our worst performance at Molineux for a long long time. They got what they deserved - one point.

Last edited:
R

reanswolf

Good post Waggy.

Didn’t hear booing but mostly those howls of frustration when a chance was spurned, like a thousand people all saying “why the fe k did he do that?”.

Don’t want to make too much of it because people were still supporting, but if a disconnect starts to appear, players will start to think about wanting to be here. Some will inevitably say it’s par for the course etc etc but I personally think bond between team and fans is crucial and I don’t want it jeopardised.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I find it frustrating that so many of our fans expected us to beat Burnley comfortably. This is the PL, and there are no easy games. Add into the mix we always struggle to break down teams that set up to stop us playing our usual football, this was never going to be a walk in the park.

Dyche is a very good manager clearly, very naive of some Wolves fans to think we could bank on three points here after such a tough 90 in Italy on Thursday. A point is a decent result all things considered. We can’t just play our best XI each game, that will be very counter productive to us achieving anything in any of the competitions we’re in.

We’re still just 1 point off 5th spot for those who think we realistically have a shot of a top 6 finish. You can take comfort from that.

D

Deleted member 3751

There's another aspect to the Burnley game that's one we - as in Wolves and Nuno - need to get used to, but cannot be overlooked even though it seems to be getting overlooked by us fans. Burnley had eight days to prepare for their game against us, they'd been preparing for us for two days when we played Man U, then we had the trip to Torino three days after that (and surely most people would have seen that as the biggest game of the three?), fly back from Italy and we had the grand total of two days to prepare for the Burnley match, two days which the players probably mostly spent recovering from their Monday and Thursday exploits.

It's a hectic schedule and one everyone needs to get used to - not least the people in the club - and while it sounds like an excuse, when you look at it compared to the opposition it highlights how much of a disadvantage we had compared to Burnley in terms of preparing for the game on Sunday.

One big push over the next few days, the workload eases up, and we can settle into the season

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's another aspect to the Burnley game that's one we - as in Wolves and Nuno - need to get used to, but cannot be overlooked even though it seems to be getting overlooked by us fans. Burnley had eight days to prepare for their game against us, they'd been preparing for us for two days when we played Man U, then we had the trip to Torino three days after that (and surely most people would have seen that as the biggest game of the three?), fly back from Italy and we had the grand total of two days to prepare for the Burnley match, two days which the players probably mostly spent recovering from their Monday and Thursday exploits.

It's a hectic schedule and one everyone needs to get used to - not least the people in the club - and while it sounds like an excuse, when you look at it compared to the opposition it highlights how much of a disadvantage we had compared to Burnley in terms of preparing for the game on Sunday.

One big push over the next few days, the workload eases up, and we can settle into the season

I do think this is more the problem than players being tired. The preparation is an important part of a game and currently the opposition are having a week to prepare compared to our 1/2 days. Hopefully we get through this hectic time and get into the EL group stage

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What o fi

One fan actually started booing behind me. Booin
g.

To much ale and not enough self-control which is one reason people go to football.
Poor performance but we got a draw. Last season we lose those games.

D

Deleted member 4023

Could've Would've Should've. We are where we are - onwards & upwards

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To say the truth I had negative feelings on this match. this because the clarets - Villa had won on Friday and West Ham had won on Saturday, so I thought Burnley would have a good result against us. It was only a miracle that we managed to get a point through a last minute penalty. My feelings were almost 100% correct.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But im living in a world of instant gratification, if i want a car, i can get finance. New phone, sign a contract. Watch a movie, flick a switch, feeling hungry, get online and order a pizza.

Now your telling me football isnt like real life and i have to learn to be patient?? No wonder football fans are fickle.

Rufio

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Only booing was at Burnley timewasting & ref

S

Staten Island Wolf

Raul said it best. "Something happened to us after the goal." On a very hot day, and after a hectic week, the goal was incredibly deflating. They say that goals change games, and that was certainly the case on Sunday.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We deserved that point. It was not a lucky draw like Boly’s handball goal against City last year.
Wolves came on second half and took back the game. Nuno, assessed the situation, like all managers do, and subbed 3 players. Nothing lucky about that.....that’s just smart.
Raul worked hard and twice sent low balls across Burnley’s goal. They were lucky no Wolves player was there for a tap in.
Raul also hit the post.
Wolves earned that draw by never giving up and preserved. Well done lads.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In games like this, if we're going to play MGW, we need him plus Moutinho OR Neves, plus the Donc or Saiss. Otherwise we're just too lightweight and end up doing very little in the middle, despite the class of Neves and Moutinho and the promise and energy of young Gibbs-White.

We weren't great but scraping a draw was a relief and bodes well for us. Mid-table consolidation in the PL would imo be a success this season...

DarloWolf

Reaction score

miss read your original post m8

Reactions: DPE
Back
Top Bottom