Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gotta say that I can’t take to Bruno. Nothing to do with results or performances either.

Can’t put my finger on it really - there’s no connection there at all. Maybe we were spoilt with Nuno.

Thinking about it, I didn’t really like Saunders, Solbakken, Lambert or Zenga either! Big Mick was likeable, as was Jackett.

He just so dour. There’s no point listening to his post match or pre match interviews unless I need some help getting to sleep.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hard to beat

Norwich find it hard to beat anyone ffs . We lost to palace and should have lost today. Should have lost to villa away also if villa didn’t throw it away with stupid subs. We are not hard to beat away from home.

Bruno came in and says formation doesn’t matter it’s the attitude etc. then why does he stick with a back 4?

Kilman basically had nothing to do yesterday in the right cb position. If it isn’t about formation why not put saiss into a cdm role and kilman left cb. Just for 10 mins. Match them up win the midfield battle and play on the front foot.

We’ve been outplayed by dean smith for 179 mins now and but for some magic from neves, traore and podence, and a huge amount of luck - we should have 0 points.

Norwich have one of the worst defenses, and for some reason we aren’t lining up at any point in the game with

Hwang Trincao traore
Jimenez

All our attackers need players around them to feed off and pass to. That’s why they always come back. They aren’t miracle workers or players that can comfortably keep the ball for 10 seconds themselves .

We lost jota because of this inflexible formation, and will probably lose traore now too . And look how good jota is an attacking side with players around him.

Neto will be next. It has to change . It’s ashame because Bruno talked a good game about not sticking to 343 and now he’s done exactly that. Just show some balls and play your 424 against **** teams , at least in part - or even 433
Leeds too, we should have lost to Leeds.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Gotta say that I can’t take to Bruno. Nothing to do with results or performances either.

Can’t put my finger on it really - there’s no connection there at all. Maybe we were spoilt with Nuno.

Thinking about it, I didn’t really like Saunders, Solbakken, Lambert or Zenga either! Big Mick was likeable, as was Jackett.

He just so dour. There’s no point listening to his post match or pre match interviews unless I need some help getting to sleep.
I mean Nuno interviews were even more dour and boring tbh

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Traore our worst winger? I totally disagree. What has Trincao done apart from the Everton home game, first half? He vanished today along with Hwang. Both need to show up on Wednesday as two traffic cones would have done a better job today.
He put a number of decent crosses into the box, at one point he tackled a Norwich player about 25 yards out, kept the ball and ran the length of the pitch before being fouled (although not given). A run that if your beloved Adama had done you'd have been waxing lyrical.

But you keep looking on for faults with no inclination of ever accepting him as a Wolves player.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

He put a number of decent crosses into the box, at one point he tackled a Norwich player about 25 yards out, kept the ball and ran the length of the pitch before being fouled (although not given). A run that if your beloved Adama had done you'd have been waxing lyrical.

But you keep looking on for faults with no inclination of ever accepting him as a Wolves player.
He put one cross in all game, and that run you are talking about he wasn't fouled he was just weak. He was absolutely dismal

stevev53

Reaction score

Funny that he said the same about you !!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I know what you mean. I'm pulling for Bruno because he's the Wolves manager. With Nuno, it was because I was invested in Nuno, I felt a connection.

Bruno's not done anything wrong, I'm not waiting for him to slip up, he has my support.

It's just a very different feeling. Bruno's a bit Colin Lee. He's not a McGhee or a Saunders or even a Solbakken. But Nuno was a Mick or a Turner, but even moreso.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Something I'm really liking about him is his clarity. His communication. We know his thoughts, we know what team formation he'd prefer, we've known for the last couple months that he was prioritising points in advance of a tricky December. There are times when Nuno did the same thing, but he never talked about it.In this sense, I think Bruno is a very savvy media operator.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every foreign player gets the same treatment,or so it seems.

Can they play on a wet Tuesday night in january.

They need to baulk up a bit.

The premier is way too fast for em.

If they dow hit the ground running,they're ****.

FFS yam supposed to be wolves fans ay ya.If so,get behind em and stop slagging em off all the while.

They'll be here learning a new system, new training methods,New people,Probably a new way of living,Give em a bit of time.Some of yow lot need a big dollop of patience.:confused:

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You reckon the obviously highly intelligent and tactically sophisticated Bruno, who is communicating with us in a language that is not his mother tongue, is "dour", but Mick, the archetype of the dour Yorkshireman with the dour, droning voice repetitively going on about "putting in a shift", and supposedly Premier League-level tactics that were enough to make your eyeballs bleed, is apparently "likeable".

As they say in Yorkshire, "there's nowt so queer as folk"!

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every foreign player gets the same treatment,or so it seems.

Can they play on a wet Tuesday night in january.

They need to baulk up a bit.

The premier is way too fast for em.

If they dow hit the ground running,they're ****.

FFS yam supposed to be wolves fans ay ya.If so,get behind em and stop slagging em off all the while.

They'll be here learning a new system, new training methods,New people,Probably a new way of living,Give em a bit of time.Some of yow lot need a big dollop of patience.:confused:
If I could like this post a thousand times I would, couldn’t agree more mate.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You reckon the obviously highly intelligent and tactically sophisticated Bruno, who is communicating with us in a language that is not his mother tongue, is "dour", but Mick, the archetype of the dour Yorkshireman with the dour, droning voice repetitively going on about "putting in a shift", and supposedly Premier League-level tactics that were enough to make your eyeballs bleed, is apparently "likeable".

As they say in Yorkshire, "there's nowt so queer as folk"!

Nothing to do with how tactically sophisticated they may be or their managerial style, just don’t like the bloke!

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno basically admitting that we can't deal with the high press at the moment and inviting other clubs to play that way lol

"I think other coaches understand if they give the ball to us we can create problems (so) they high press us more. Now we need different solutions, difference spaces to play."

I mean, he's right. Can't knock his honesty again.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm the same with Bruno and the others except I found Zenga likable and Mick dislikable.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno basically admitting that we can't deal with the high press at the moment and inviting other clubs to play that way lol

"I think other coaches understand if they give the ball to us we can create problems (so) they high press us more. Now we need different solutions, difference spaces to play."

I mean, he's right. Can't knock his honesty again.
Different solutions. Heard that before somewhere!

If we haven’t got the players to cope with teams who won’t let us play the way we want to then apart from taking all the balls home, Bruno will somehow have to get the team to adapt or buy a whole new team.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our points return is decent but the favourable fixtures have helped. However, and this may sound harsh to some but Bruno has been a disappointment for me so far. Might as well have kept Nuno if the plan is to set up with 5 at the back and play with a ridiculously slow tempo.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Want to like him and his passion when we won a corner with 25ish to go was brilliant.

But when he backs it up by taking off a forward for a winger and sticking with 5 at the back for the remaining 10 to go against Burnley at home, i was really frustrated with him at full time and still am. We needed to ask more questions.

The idea behind getting rid of Nuno for a more expansive, forward thinking coach is a bit underwhelming. I said to my mate with 5 to go, when there keeper was about to launch it, pause the pitch we have 7 players in our half.

Not good enough. How many other sides with top half aspirations would approach the last 10 like that against Burnley?

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I haven’t warmed to him either. I don’t think he’s done a bad job, but we are still extremely boring to watch. His late subs drive me insane.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not against him at all and think he could be a good manager for us given his own players.

He’s probably a quality coach but he really ****s the bed when he’s in the dugout on match day with his late subs and no real tweaks.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I’m not against him at all and think he could be a good manager for us given his own players.

He’s probably a quality coach but he really ****s the bed when he’s in the dugout on match day with his late subs and no real tweaks.
Don't really see what he'd lose by trying Cundle or Campbell today. Trincao was fine when he came on tbf. Had a decent run but I think we know he wasn't changing much in reality

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't really see what he'd lose by trying Cundle or Campbell today. Trincao was fine when he came on tbf. Had a decent run but I think we know he wasn't changing much in reality
I agree. I don’t get the myth that you need to physical up against Burnley. You can beat them by being better at your own game and doing things better than them, not just battling.

Trincao would have been better than Hwang today as he is more likely to find that killer pass in a tight area centrally.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, the man's being absolutely hamstrung by our severe lack of depth everywhere barring the wide forwards! There have been clear demonstrations of what he's looking to do, but he needs 2 1st team starters in Jan. Otherwise we'll be mid table at best, and have an exodus on our hands in the summer. I think he's still got a lot to prove, but would like to see what he can do when backed!

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I agree. I don’t get the myth that you need to physical up against Burnley. You can beat them by being better at your own game and doing things better than them, not just battling.

Trincao would have been better than Hwang today as he is more likely to find that killer pass in a tight area centrally.
They didn't bother pressing us after first 20 mins. They just let our midfield have they ball, knew we weren't going to hurt them

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think a lot of the lack of warmth toward Bruno stems from the fact he followed Nuno, a man who dragged us from championship obscurity to a European quarter final.

Nothing against Bruno I doubt a lot of people would've warmed to anyone following Nunos shoes.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I think a lot of the lack of warmth toward Bruno stems from the fact he followed Nuno, a man who dragged us from championship obscurity to a European quarter final.

Nothing against Bruno I doubt a lot of people would've warmed to anyone following Nunos shoes.
Yeah i love Nuno as a bloke but tbh as long as they aren't actively odious I couldn't particularly care less as long as we win

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really am getting frustrated with Bruno. Yes, I appreciate where we currently sit in the table and am thankful that we have garnered that many points. But there are serious questions that need addressing.

The first of these are the signings to date are to what extent have the signings to date during his management enhanced the development of the club. Our position says they have, but correct me if I'm wrong they are Sa, Trincao and Hwang. Sa is the one signing that does appear to represent an improvement on his predecessor. Fans are clearly frustrated with Trincao and I have to admit myself this jurist remains far from convinced by Hwang (though delighted to have my doubts put to bed by him). At this juncture allowing him to spend big in January when it is always difficult to get good players at a decent price

At the time that MGW was allowed to go out on loan I was highly critical of the move. He had shown significant improvement at the end of last season under Nuno and I felt that this would continue this season and he would progress significantly as a Premiership player. In a squad that has been represented as small, why would a manager allow a young and highly talented player go out on loan? Oh yes, the glib answer is to get experience. With such a small squad that experience could be expected to be forthcoming in the Premiership, but even that is in question with this manager who does not appear to understand that substitutes can be used tactically. Those that he does use arrive late and don't normally have the time to play themselves into the game. Making a double substitution against Manchester United after they had gone ahead for instance took the initiative from the Wolves and allowed United to play out time. If substitutions were required in that game, they should have been made after 60 minutes not as seems to be his practice with 15 minutes or frequently less to go. In general initial tactical substitutions if deemed necessary should be made by the 60th minute of a game. In fairness the one game that his substitutions did make an impact was in the Villa game, when Dean Smith made a similar mistake as Nuno did against Watford in the FA Cup semi-final.

The Adama question is a further dilemma. The one manager who seriously appeared to be pursuing him in the last window was Nuno, who was treated abysmally by Spurs, and it was obvious by the reported activity of Mr. Levy that he was playing his own nasty little game. If Adama is being advised by his agent not to sign his contract, he had better hope that Nuno has a new wealthy benefactor to bid for him. The amount of interest he is likely to generate is limited. He is a frustrating and exhilarating player all rolled into one. Personally I believe the more time he gets on the field, the more damage he will do to the opposition. Nuno indulged him perhaps but he also improved him as a player. Under Bruno, the lack of confidence is evident and a player like Adama needs that confidence in him. As a player I believe he has regressed a fact I believe is primarily the responsibility of Bruno. I expect Adama will be gone perhaps even in the January window, whether to a rival Premiership club or not remains to be seen. If the club he goes to has a manager like Nuno, prepared to have confidence in the lad and to encourage him we are likely to see a very different Adama in the second half of next season.

Another player who had been showing progress though not as significant as MGW was Fábio Silva. He certainly should be getting more time on the field of play. He is a player who would be introduced for the final half hour by other managers. He has the talent but being left on the bench is not doing his ability or confidence any good.

Personally I think the team and squad is regressing under Bruno. This could have serious consequences even this season. Normally at this time in the season, one would suggest that the teams that will be relegated are already evident. I'm not confident that this is the case this season. Newcastle, the team in the bottom three who are most likely in my opinion to be relegated will spend very significant amounts of money in the January window. I know that Villa were on a poor run under Dean Smith, I don't believe they have traded up by taking on Steven Gerard, indeed rather like us, I suspect they now have a manager who has a lot to prove and may not have the talent to do so. Smith would in my opinion have turned things around at Villa and I believe is already displaying the ability to do so at Norwich. As for Burnley, Seán Dyche is an old warrior, who knows how to get the best out of a limited squad.

We maybe 6th in the table, we are not scoring goals - not conceding many either I acknowledge - we do have Daniel Podence and Pablo Neto to come back into the squad/team, the sooner the better. We are 11 points clear of relegation. We have six games in December and I fear that anything more than 2 points will be a bonus. It offers Bruno a wonderful opportunity to prove me wrong, sadly if I'm right that 11 point cushion could evaporate very quickly.

Last edited:

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The squad just needs freshening up but Bruno was let down badly in the summer. This isn't his team or how he wants to play but with the tools he has he doesn't have much choice. What else could he have done tonight? Trincao was the only other player worth a **** on the bench, so to say we and Bruno are limited with options is an understatement.

The sad thing here is that the good position we sit in is going to blind fans to the possibilities. Reality is that this is a dead season, it will not lead to Europe or anything close, likewise it won't lead to a relegation battle but you just know some fans are itching to complain and kick off when we inevitably finish 10th-14th.

jim_boner

Groupie
Reaction score
Ahhhh, how i love knee jerk posts like this after a bad result.
Go on then, i'll bite....

• Firstly, as i understand it, the head coach/manager in our structure is not responsible for transfers. They clearly have a say, but they don't decide who we do/don't sign. It was very clear that Bruno wanted at least a couple of other recruits in the summer that for whatever reason, the club couldn't secure.
  • For the signings we did make, they have been a moderate success. Sa looks a great replacement for Rui. Hwang only a month or so ago was being heralded as a goalscoring genius who was being courted by Liverpool. Trincao has been inconsistent but clearly has talent and is still settling in.
  • As you quite rightly point out, we are 6th in the table. Almost all of our fans would have snapped your hand off if you offered them that position at the end of November.
  • You say that you think that you think the team and players are regressing. I don't think you could be more wrong. It is very difficult to drastically change the style of play of a team in a short period without a significant change of personnel. Despite that, the style of football (although inconsistent) has definitely improved since last season. At our best, we've been scintillating, at our worst, we've been on a par with last season.
    • A number of individuals have improved significantly under Bruno. The biggest three would be Neves, Kilman and Ait-nouri but Coady, Saiss, Semedo and Moutinho have also been significantly better this season than last. We have the 3rd best defensive record in the league and he's finally got Neves and Moutinho working well as a pairing in midfield. I cant think of a single player who has significantly regressed from last season.
  • About the only thing you said that i agree with is his use of Fabio. He definitely needs to play more in order to progress and fulfil his potential and there have been a number of opportunities where he could have come on when we've been trying to find a goal.
To summarise, i think he's doing a very good job. If we don't add a couple of players in Jan, i doubt we'll maintain our current form, but who knows with the right additions that enable him to further evolve our style and formation as he wants, we may just sneak a place in Europe.

Back
Top Bottom