Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A quick note on pressing - we have a long way to go in this regard.

Very notable that we are pressing high up the field this season but there have been a good few occasions where we do it mindlessly - especially against Palace + WHU, leaving them with a. 2 v 2 when they play a simple ball over the top.

Watching Liverpool press yesterday was incredible. They are so so so on it but they retain a defensive shape.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't complain at the results at all, and think yesterday we saw probably the most complete performance under him so far. To be fair though at the moment I'm tending to swing from the good of the home games to the terrible of the away! I'd like to see some consistency coming into the performances and our style of play.

But I think everyone would have gladly taken our points return from the first twelve games if offered it at the start of the season. A really tough run coming up, let's see how we ride those waves
I agree with you about wanting to see some consistency, but only if it’s consistently good!!

GavW

Groupie
Reaction score
There's something special in him for sure. Just needs a few tweaks and that might come in the transfer market.

Still don't agree with the way he manages a lead. Don't have an issue with the time wasting or players with fake cramps that's something we should have been doing for a long time.

Just feel like we sit back totally once we get in front and have no counter or attacking threat.

Only bitten us once at Leeds so far but got a feeling that won't be the only time.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Very notable that we are pressing high up the field this season but there have been a good few occasions where we do it mindlessly - especially against Palace + WHU, leaving them with a. 2 v 2 when they play a simple ball over the top.

Watching Liverpool press yesterday was incredible. They are so so so on it but they retain a defensive shape.
Yea, I grimace a little bit when I see a press but not everybody goes with it at the same time. It leaves an easy out and space as a result. This will come though.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really hope we give Bruno the tools he needs. I’m not convinced about coming away from 3 at the back at the moment, it can be played with an attacking style like yesterday but definitely needs bolstering in certain areas.

I’m not against giving ourselves a back 4 option for certain games and in game changes, however.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After a quarter of a season we're two points better than we've ever attained at this point in a Premier League campaign, after not getting a point in the first three games. Our form since then has us 4th, 3 points off Chelsea

Same as Semedo a lot of folk made rash predictions about Bruno and haven't the humility to admit that they probably got it wrong so pounce on the isolated bad result to run him down

Reaction score
Any idea why Bruno seems to condone this stupid goal kick farce of Sa passing it 3 yards to Coady in the box then playing it square to Saiss……..

It will land us in trouble at some point and I genuinely don’t think we get any benefit from it.
But our goal literally came from a move which started with Sa passing it short. Can't be a coincidence that all the best managers and teams in the world don't lump it long.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any idea why Bruno seems to condone this stupid goal kick farce of Sa passing it 3 yards to Coady in the box then playing it square to Saiss……..

It will land us in trouble at some point and I genuinely don’t think we get any benefit from it.
It stretches the pitch if the opposition press that high up

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Will be an interesting conversation now.
Lage 'I need £60m for a new CH and a CAM so we can stop playing this terrible 343 system'
Shi 'But we're 6th in the league and getting better and better'

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Bruno did comment on this yesterday, (pressing high).
Basically said the team needs to be careful when pressing, when to press etc.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Will be an interesting conversation now.
Lage 'I need £60m for a new CH and a CAM so we can stop playing this terrible 343 system'
Shi 'But we're 6th in the league and getting better and better'
343 is a good system, like any system in football. Just need few better players to play it higher up the pitch.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

At what point did we dangerously lose the ball in doing so? What are the alternatives? Semedo or RAN aren’t guaranteed to win in the air against most opponents, Podence tiny, Hwang short but strong….so you’ve got play it short like we are or hoof it up to Raul against 2 CBs.
Our CBs between them are incredibly comfortable on the ball, as in one of the best in the league, it makes sense to play short at goal kicks. If you can draw the opponent out, we then have Coady, Saiss, Neves, Moutinho, Sa all capable of long balls to runners.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But our goal literally came from a move which started with Sa passing it short. Can't be a coincidence that all the best managers and teams in the world don't lump it long.
You mean apart from that lovely ball from Sa, crossfield 70 yards to Pod?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

My only caveat is that last year’s start was our best ever then look what happened. Having said that we were devastated by injuries and I think we’re more progressive this season. Just wish we’d score a few more.
We absolutely need more goals, we don't create enough clear cut chances still.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Again mentioning we have 16 outfield players today in his pre match press conference and how difficult it will be with all the games coming up over the next 4/5 weeks. I get the impression he must have been pretty ****ed off at the squad being left too light at the end of the window as he seems to regularly bemoan our small squad.

Can see the likes of Cundle, Bueno and Richards being regular squad members in the next few weeks. Boly now being injured reduces our defensive options as well. I think Bruno will have to put some faith in some of the young lads mentioned at some stage.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Again mentioning we have 16 outfield players today in his pre match press conference and how difficult it will be with all the games coming up over the next 4/5 weeks. I get the impression he must have been pretty ****ed off at the squad being left too light at the end of the window as he seems to regularly bemoan our small squad.

Can see the likes of Cundle, Bueno and Richards being regular squad members in the next few weeks. Boly now being injured reduces our defensive options as well. I think Bruno will have to put some faith in some of the young lads mentioned at some stage.
can always have 3 goalies in the squad!

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I have been reading a lot comments on the forum and a lot seem to be very negative towards Bruno. I am not so sure Bruno should be getting all this criticism. We can’t be exactly sure of what he came here expecting, regarding transfer windows. Perhaps he wanted players we couldn’t get, perhaps he wants to play a different system, etc, etc. Who really knows?

When he inherited this squad, they had been brainwashed into a style of play, week in week out, that was excruciatingly dull and boring. It’s hard to change that mentality. Bruno hasn’t had time to influence this team and stamp it with the type of players and ideas he has regarding tactics.

I look at the situation from a positive angle.

He came in and for the first 3 games, got the team playing the way he likes to play. We were unlucky but he thought, okay we need to go back to square one and put points on the board and consolidate until I get the type of players I need, before implementing my system, as I don’t quite have the personnel required.

That’s possible isn’t it? Perhaps he is a fantastic manager who evaluated all that and cut the cloth accordingly. Let’s be brutally honest here and ask the question.

How many (but let’s not name, names) of the current 1st 11 that started today, could be (or need to be upgraded) without spending big money to genuinely and constantly, challenge for a top 6 spot?

I say 5 and admit that’s only my humble opinion. So I am basically saying that if we want to progress, 5 (half of our outfield players) are not good enough to challenge for top 6 consistently. Based on that, Bruno is doing a pretty good job of overachieving isn’t he?

N.B. I am aware that we currently sit in sixth but who genuinely thinks we will finish the season in that position without changes?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Home performances superb .

Away performances have all been absolutely dismal

I don’t understand the favoritism to Trincao , or the reluctance to use traore in a front 3, or reluctance to go to a back 4 when we are completely over run and creating nothing .

Almost seems scared to try 4 at the back and play on the front foot in away games.

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I don’t understand the favoritism to Trincao , or the reluctance to use traore in a front 3, or reluctance to go to a back 4 when we are completely over run and creating nothing .
On Trincao, where's the favouritism? The wingers have been rotated since Hwang turned up.

On Traore, he's out worst winger.

On a back 4, we don't have the CBs to pull it off. Coady and Saiss would be too much of a liberty in a 4.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Away we are w3 d2 l2. Last ten games we have averaged 2 points a game. We could play better but we are hard to beat

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On Trincao, where's the favouritism? The wingers have been rotated since Hwang turned up.

On Traore, he's out worst winger.

On a back 4, we don't have the CBs to pull it off. Coady and Saiss would be too much of a liberty in a 4.

Traore our worst winger? I totally disagree. What has Trincao done apart from the Everton home game, first half? He vanished today along with Hwang. Both need to show up on Wednesday as two traffic cones would have done a better job today.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Away we are w3 d2 l2. Last ten games we have averaged 2 points a game. We could play better but we are hard to beat

Will be very interesting to see these stats in 4 weeks time if we continue to play so poorly and negatively in away games. Our away performances are becoming a big concern and I hope they dont start affecting home performances.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will be very interesting to see these stats in 4 weeks time if we continue to play so poorly and negatively in away games. Our away performances are becoming a big concern and I hope they dont start affecting home performances.
Yes, good point. Even Burnley, whose style we know generally dominates our lot. Wouldn't be surprised if after half a season, we are more around mid way, possibly just below. The Burnley match suddenly becomes the important one as its the only lower half opponent in the next 5. Would be typical of us to lose to Burnley and beat Liverpool and Man City, though.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
yeah away it seems to be, be solid, nick a goal and try and hang on. Home performances we take the initiative tho.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Traore our worst winger? I totally disagree. What has Trincao done apart from the Everton home game, first half? He vanished today along with Hwang. Both need to show up on Wednesday as two traffic cones would have done a better job today.

In our current system i think Traore is the worst wide attacker alongside Trincao. Hwang isnt much better but seems more of a goal threat and Podence cant stay fit. Adama needs to be played as an actual winger, not a wide attacker like we use to get the best out of him.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In our current system i think Traore is the worst wide attacker alongside Trincao. Hwang isnt much better but seems more of a goal threat and Podence cant stay fit. Adama needs to be played as an actual winger, not a wide attacker like we use to get the best out of him.
Podence can stay fit and he was our best attacker against West Ham. …….by far. ( full disclosure, I watched the game about 5 times and paused the game, took notes,play….stop…take notes , play , all the way through).
Once he gets over this covid, he’ll get a run of games and he’ll be absolutely phenomenal.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Podence can stay fit and he was our best attacker against West Ham. …….by far. ( full disclosure, I watched the game about 5 times and paused the game, took notes,play….stop…take notes , play , all the way through).
Once he gets over this covid, he’ll get a run of games and he’ll be absolutely phenomenal.

Hopefully he can, but he has been injured a fair bit for us.

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
T

Traore leaving in January, so preparing for a future without him.

Think that’s fairly plain to see too

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hard to beat

Norwich find it hard to beat anyone ffs . We lost to palace and should have lost today. Should have lost to villa away also if villa didn’t throw it away with stupid subs. We are not hard to beat away from home.

Bruno came in and says formation doesn’t matter it’s the attitude etc. then why does he stick with a back 4?

Kilman basically had nothing to do yesterday in the right cb position. If it isn’t about formation why not put saiss into a cdm role and kilman left cb. Just for 10 mins. Match them up win the midfield battle and play on the front foot.

We’ve been outplayed by dean smith for 179 mins now and but for some magic from neves, traore and podence, and a huge amount of luck - we should have 0 points.

Norwich have one of the worst defenses, and for some reason we aren’t lining up at any point in the game with

Hwang Trincao traore
Jimenez

All our attackers need players around them to feed off and pass to. That’s why they always come back. They aren’t miracle workers or players that can comfortably keep the ball for 10 seconds themselves .

We lost jota because of this inflexible formation, and will probably lose traore now too . And look how good jota is an attacking side with players around him.

Neto will be next. It has to change . It’s ashame because Bruno talked a good game about not sticking to 343 and now he’s done exactly that. Just show some balls and play your 424 against **** teams , at least in part - or even 433

Last edited:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hard to beat

Norwich find it hard to beat anyone ffs . We lost to palace and should have lost today. Should have lost to villa away also if villa didn’t throw it away with stupid subs. We are not hard to beat away from home.

Bruno came in and says formation doesn’t matter it’s the attitude etc. then why does he stick with a back 4?

Kilman basically had nothing to do yesterday in the right cb position. If it isn’t about formation why not put saiss into a cdm role and kilman left cb. Just for 10 mins. Match them up win the midfield battle and play on the front foot.

We’ve been outplayed by dean smith for 179 mins now and but for some magic from neves, traore and podence, and a huge amount of luck - we should have 0 points.

Norwich have one of the worst defenses, and for some reason we aren’t lining up at any point in the game with

Hwang Trincao traore
Jimenez

All our attackers need players around them to feed off and pass to. That’s why they always come back. They aren’t miracle workers or players that can comfortably keep the ball for 10 seconds themselves .

We lost jota because of this inflexible formation, and will probably lose traore now too . And look how good jota is an attacking side with players around him.

Neto will be next. It has to change . It’s ashame because Bruno talked a good game about not sticking to 343 and now he’s done exactly that. Just show some balls and play your 424 against **** teams , at least in part - or even 433
We lost Jota because the league champions came in for him, not because of formation

Back
Top Bottom