Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

D

Deleted member 11332

Sounds like he blooded youngsters well and improved them whilst playing attacking football?
Is this what we need.
I personally know nothing of him so trying to find any reports on his limited time as manager

The main point is we shouldn't judge before we know. Nuno wasn't highly regarded at Porto or Valencia but he was the perfect tonic for us. I'd imagine we've got someone in mind if we are announcing this prior to the last game

Arthur

Reaction score
I've been working a lot with Portuguese customers recently, one of them being a Sporting ultra.

For what it's worth, I've asked him his opinion on Bruno Large:

I’ve a good opinion about him honestly he showed up at benfica as a nobody and he did a fantastic first season. Then the results were so good that the club board didn’t invest in the squad for his 2nd season and results got worse. For some unknown reason seems that he lost the control of the players also and was sacked due to pressure from fans/press

He also asked one of his mate who's a die-hard Benfica fan:

Very likeable guy, implemented maybe the most effective football I've seen at benfica and for half a season and won a championship on his sole merit with a pinch of salt from Joao felix as well. Made the B team look like Barcelona for half a season as well. Hard to say how he'd do in the Premier league after so much time absent from the game, although he gathered some experience at Swansea which might help. Anyway in the past I couldn't give two ****s about Nuno and he ended up doing pretty well at wolves so...in good Portuguese "vale o que vale". As long as he benches fabio silva he should be fine.

By the way, ended up being sacked on his sole merit as well as he appears to have lost total control over the players. Something that is bond to happen to pretty much every coach on the long term, but for him it was very short term and almost inexplicably. He can argue that the team was not as strong as the year before sure, but that can't explain everything. Also acts like he does as he pleases but then has no problem in starting 3 youngsters with no quality to play for colchester, let alone in Benfica, in the Champions League by order of the president (most likely). Either that or he's just stupid. And I don't think he's stupid.

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whoever replaces Nuno had better hit the ground running.

Bruno Lage. Don’t know much about him but the same applied to Nuno before he got the job.

I just hope Fosun know what they’re doing.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
"the only one left" --- are you sure about that?!!

as for me trying to paint fosun in a light - i have no doubt whatsoever they know what they are doing, and that's working closely with Mendes, and it's now where we are on Mendes' list of priorities that will guide our next moves.

if that's mid-table or lower and he's got his sights set on more / bigger clubs, but we churn out prodigies for mega bucks and never really get anywhere, that'll do him and them because it fits the business model

i've been overjoyed by what fosun have done for us. but it doesn't change the fact that it's about money and not necessarily winning stuff

Zenga was probably 10th on the list, I doubt he was anywhere near the top. Problem is once we had made it clear Lopetegui was first choice it had to be someone who was happy knowing they were far from first choice.

Which probably excluded 2nd 3rd 4th choice etc.

Either way Fosun have done ok with their appointments since then, even Lambert you could argue did the job that was required of him.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On Sky they've just said that Nuno isn't in contention for the Spurs job, or any current job going for that matter. Kind of makes it a worse situation for us really; the fact that he's left without anything lined up. He probably had enough. I'm starting to think Jeff is a control freak and it's his way or the highway.
Why do you think it was decision?! His inability to react to things I'm many games was dreadful this season and a leading factor in his ability to take us further imo

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
2 bigger teams than who,Wolves or Benfica lol
I know very little of Portuguese football but i think Benfica is the top dog normally and Lage won the title with most wins and most goals i believe
Nuno had won nothing before coming here,but did have one or two decent seasons with Porto and Valencia ill give you that
Seems hes a 2/3 season man and likes to move on,nothing wrong with that at all,but like i said very few had really heard of him over here when he joined us,no matter what they say now
I was actually talking about Nuno.
Benfica is not the top dog, is one of the two top dogs for one spot in Portuguese football, they were the dominant force historically till the mid 70's. Their dominance eroded and by the mid 80's they lost it. Absolute zero's during the 90's and early to mid 2000's, got slightly on track with Jesus first stint (but only after a gruesome 3 back-toback title losses)
Only dominated the league between 13/14 and 16/17 with 4 consecutive titles. As for Benfica european performances...well they have been irrelevant since the early 90's and are known to be perpetual losers when it comes to european finals.
Portuguese football has been mostly dominated by Porto since de mid 80's with two small periods of lesser success between 1999 and 2002 and the other one being the aforementioned 4 titles in a row for Benfica. Porto's continental performances have been consistent, reaching at least the Champions League round of 16/quarter-finals, conquering the most prized trophy in 2004 and the Europa League trophy in 2003 and 2011.
Lage managed a record of goals at Benfica in 18/19 thanks to Felix and his attacking minded style but that only lasted for half a season.
The record of points belongs to both Sergio Conceição with Porto (17/18) and Rui Vitória with Benfica (15/16) both with 88 points.
The record for the largest distance between 1st and 2nd place, 21 points, belongs do André Villas boas with Porto (10/11) the second one, 20 points, being Jesualdo Ferreira with Porto (07/08).
The record for less points lost belongs to Jimmy Hagan with Benfica (72/73) only two draws, Villas boas coming second with the 10/11 Porto squad with 3 draws.
Benfica has more domestic leagues and cups owing to their dominance through the 40's till the mid 70's.
Sporting was able to dispute Benfica's dominance through the 40's and early 50's but lost relevance over the years becoming the third force and virtually irrelevant through the last 40 years.
Porto was the third force during the golden days of the Portuguese dictatorship, unable of keeping a big stint of titles but turned the tables starting in the late 70's till today, gaining continental status becoming the second most titled team domestically and far surpassing the rival in terms of continental titles.
The early days of Portuguese football (the 20's, the 30's) saw no dominance, with the Big Three Dividing most of the conquered silverware.
Boavista and Belenenses are your usual Cinderella dream.

You should expect that from a sporting project, a manager has at most 3 years of "active life". More than 3 years and the sporting relationship beggins to wear down.
This is how modern football works, the pressure is imense.

Reaction score

Sounds like he blooded youngsters well and improved them whilst playing attacking football?
Is this what we need.
I personally know nothing of him so trying to find any reports on his limited time as manager
He blooded those youngster because:

A - It was what he had to work with, the board never gave in to his requests for signing players deemed too expensive (Till they gave him Vinícius and Weigl).
B- He had worked with most of them during his spell as the B team manager, he knew them to the bone and used his influence and knowledge to extract the best out of them.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
76 games as Benfica manager. 67.11% success rate. Goals for 181 at 2.38 per game. Goals against 75 at less than 1. Seems a decent CV for me. Better than Nuno had and that turned out okay didn’t it? Think people need to get a grip or no one will ever be allowed to succeed Nuno.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same. If Brighton had a good striker, they'd be flying up the table.
Is it just me that doesn’t get the graham potter love in? I keep hearing this but I just don’t see it.

he’s been there 2 years, inherited a reasonable(ish) squad and has had 2 transfer windows and has spent about £93.5m

Brighton look quite nice sometimes, but ineffective going forward and poor at the back - but got a bit better this season.

his overall league record at Brighton is;
P75 W18 D28 L29 GF79 GA98 GD -19

so in 2 years a 24% win ratio for the best part of £100m spent. Can’t see the attraction myself.

Reaction score
If you want to take your young players to the next level he might be a good choice.

Given the demanding levels of the Premier League patience will be required.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've been working a lot with Portuguese customers recently, one of them being a Sporting ultra.

For what it's worth, I've asked him his opinion on Bruno Large:

I’ve a good opinion about him honestly he showed up at benfica as a nobody and he did a fantastic first season. Then the results were so good that the club board didn’t invest in the squad for his 2nd season and results got worse. For some unknown reason seems that he lost the control of the players also and was sacked due to pressure from fans/press

He also asked one of his mate who's a die-hard Benfica fan:

Very likeable guy, implemented maybe the most effective football I've seen at benfica and for half a season and won a championship on his sole merit with a pinch of salt from Joao felix as well. Made the B team look like Barcelona for half a season as well. Hard to say how he'd do in the Premier league after so much time absent from the game, although he gathered some experience at Swansea which might help. Anyway in the past I couldn't give two ****s about Nuno and he ended up doing pretty well at wolves so...in good Portuguese "vale o que vale". As long as he benches fabio silva he should be fine.

By the way, ended up being sacked on his sole merit as well as he appears to have lost total control over the players. Something that is bond to happen to pretty much every coach on the long term, but for him it was very short term and almost inexplicably. He can argue that the team was not as strong as the year before sure, but that can't explain everything. Also acts like he does as he pleases but then has no problem in starting 3 youngsters with no quality to play for colchester, let alone in Benfica, in the Champions League by order of the president (most likely). Either that or he's just stupid. And I don't think he's stupid.
Remind me not to join you for a few pints when we get back in. Do you tape and transcribe all your conversations!

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do you think it was decision?! His inability to react to things I'm many games was dreadful this season and a leading factor in his ability to take us further imo
Because when you spend 4 years building a club around a central figure, it would be foolish to let him go considering the circumstances we're in. Nobody knows what the reason are, but I'd be willing to put money on the fact that it was Nuno's decision.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whoever replaces Nuno had better hit the ground running.

Bruno Lage. Don’t know much about him but the same applied to Nuno before he got the job.

I just hope Fosun know what they’re doing.
Thing is when we say Fosun who do we mean. Who have we that is well qualified to make that decision?

PolishWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Since there are a lot of skeptics, I've decided to review bruno lage from a statistical point of view (I am qualified i promise :( ) and I'll do one for all the managers we're seriously linked with.

Bruno LAGE

Firstly, it's important to note transfer market lists his preferred formation as 4-4-2 Double 6. I'm sure some of you don't have a scooby doo what a double 6 is, I didn't so I did some research and from what I can find it's two holding midfielders in a double pivot. So none of these box-box shenanigans you're always asking for boys and gorls.
So let's get onto that record.

Firstly, preferred formations because that's important for the mixed bag of players we have.:
Over his spell of 89 matches in total for Benfica and Benfica B, he started with the 4-4-2 mentioned above. He then went about 38 or so games favouring the 4-4-1-1 only using the 4-4-2 twice in this time. This time using 4-4-1-1 coincided with a time they lost in the quarter finals of Europa league on away goals (Though important to add he didn't use that formation for either game).

A 5-0 win against Sporting Clube de Portugal in the Portuguese super cup and all of a sudden the 4-4-2 was back and remained heavily in fashion, even during their worst run of 2 wins in 13 games (including cups, which was kinda bad for benfica). Over this turgid run they lost 3 times, and Bruno had a habit of switching between the 4-4-2 and the 4-2-3-1 with the latter used 4 times in total. 4-2-3-1 saw it's debut in europe and it's worth noting that 4 of the 10 uses were in europe which are notably more difficult than their league, and skew the record slightly.

So bruno has a Plan A through D, but mostly sticks to plan A and B showing them equal measure.

Totals:
4-4-2 : 38 Record: W23 D9 L6
4-4-1-1: 38 Record: W 30 D3 L5
4-1-4-1: 2 Record: W1 L1
4-2-3-1: 10 Record: W4 D3 L3

So now for a bit of tactical-statistics. I've cherry picked some games to show what went really right, and what went really wrong, so we can see what kind of manager he is and what his downfalls are.

Game 1: First game in charge Benfica (4-4-1-1) 4 vs 2 Rio Ave (4-4-2)
A match summary said that Benfica created a high number of chances, and excelled through individual skill, wide play and counter attacks (Sound familiar?) and were strong at finishing (Sorry familiarity ended, please leave the ride). It also notes that they favoured short passing something I can get behind as at wolves I'm getting fed up of missing a long pass and then no-one fighting for the second ball.
It stated however they were caught offside often and that they gave away a lot of free kicks around the box.
Whoscored stats: Avg player rating: 7.09, Shots: 11, Possession: 57%, Pass success: 82%, 11 dribbles, 15 aerials won, 16 tackles, 5 corners, dispossessed 12 times.

Game 2: Biggest win Benfica (4-4-1-1) 10 vs 0 Nacional (4-1-4-1)
The match summary highlights all the same strengths, but includes 'stealing the ball' and 'set pieces'. Once again, caught offside often. They dominated possession especially in their opponents half, and played short passing and through balls.
Whoscored stats: Avg player rating: 8.42, Shots: 24, Possession: 66.1, Pass success: 85%, 6 dribbles, 14 aerials won, 22 tackles, 8 corners, dispossessed 14 times.

Game 3: Knocked out of europe (QF) Frankfurt (3-4-1-2) 2 vs 0 Benfica (4-2-3-1)
Who scored doesn't have a summary like it did before for europa league.....so i had to do some......work.....UGHHH. Once again benfica played mostly short passes, and a reasonable-ish amount of through balls. Bruno Lage got sent off.... The battle of this game happened in the middle third with neither team able to pass the ball, and benfica lost. Benfica were outnumbered by frankfurt and as such weren't able to progress the ball as well. The ball spent too much time in the air and the dribbling skills previously shown by the team were not there. Although they did win more aerial battles. And who knows? they hit the post then frankfurt immediately scored, could have been a different game.
Avg player rating: 6.41, Shots: 7, Possession: 52%, Pass success: 68%, 3 dribbles, 34 aerials won, 23 tackles, 2 corners, dispossessed 12 times.

Game 4: beggining of the bad run that got bruno fired Porto(4-2-3-1) 3 vs 2 Benfica(4-1-4-1)
The match report shows that they were aggressive, gave away a lot of free kicks and committed a high number of individual errors. Given the run that emerged after this it's safe to bet that bruno may have lost the dressing room in some way. Despite this, they still created well from the flanks, and were strong at finishing.
Avg player rating: 6.28, Shots: 9, Possession: 56%, Pass success: 80%, 9 dribbles, 15 aerials won, 15 tackles, 4 corners, dispossessed 3 times.

So there you have it, a bit of a view of him as a manager, not all doom and gloom, but not all sunshine and rainbows. Definitely high-tempo passing and possession based, but in the games they struggle it seems to be about discipline and individual errors, something we've known all too well in the latter.

Nivada

Reaction score
Some googling around and this already looks a really poor appointment if true. That's the end of the project IMHO.
He's a balls out attacking manager than managed to get Benfica to score over a 100 goals in 34 games, he was loved as he turned around a disappointing start to the season for Benfica, he kept this up in his second season but could never get the defence to work in tandem with the attack and fell behind his rivals.

His wikipedia page will just tell you he had one season at Benfica, the story is far more complex.

Last edited:

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For players who don't quite reach the points total for a work permit, there is an option to appeal to a panel for dispensation. Does this apply to managers/head coaches as well? If it's true that Lage is the number one target it's not as though we are bringing in a coach from the third tier of Portuguese football. He won the title there. That must count for something if put before a panel.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would love Benitez.

Pity we didn't go for Mourinho before he became unavailable.

Been busy all day and must found out he's leaving. Gotta be honest, in a bit of shock at the moment.

Best time I've had as Wolves fan in 35 years.

Gutted

Reactions: DPE

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because when you spend 4 years building a club around a central figure, it would be foolish to let him go considering the circumstances we're in. Nobody knows what the reason are, but I'd be willing to put money on the fact that it was Nuno's decision.
We did build around a central figure yes.... Jorge mendes

Reactions: Ian

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
My God we are so stuffed if she is correct. Shi needs to come out soon with some good news as this all sounds shocking if correct. Have Fosun given up on us?
One problem with her post - all the evidence points to Nuno being sacked.

Plus if there was only one way traffic we wouldn't have enough first team players. I can believe Fosun want to fund incoming players through sales, but not that they've given up to the extent that they we'd be fielding a team of YTS lads.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it just me that doesn’t get the graham potter love in? I keep hearing this but I just don’t see it.

he’s been there 2 years, inherited a reasonable(ish) squad and has had 2 transfer windows and has spent about £93.5m

Brighton look quite nice sometimes, but ineffective going forward and poor at the back - but got a bit better this season.

his overall league record at Brighton is;
P75 W18 D28 L29 GF79 GA98 GD -19

so in 2 years a 24% win ratio for the best part of £100m spent. Can’t see the attraction myself.

If they'd had a striker as good as Jimenez they'd have made Europe this season. Top five side in terms of xG.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they'd had a striker as good as Jimenez they'd have made Europe this season. Top five side in terms of xG.
Like I said, not convinced at all. keep hearing claims like this.

then you look at the criticism on here by the same people about us - wasted money, poor transfers etc.

which was why I included his spend. Nearly £100m in 2 years, and not got a striker?? Some would argue that’s poor management- or perhaps that only applies to Wolves.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One problem with her post - all the evidence points to Nuno being sacked.

Plus if there was only one way traffic we wouldn't have enough first team players. I can believe Fosun want to fund incoming players through sales, but not that they've given up to the extent that they we'd be fielding a team of YTS lads.

Hope you are right mate. I really do.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hope you are right mate. I really do.
Me too! We'll find out pretty soon enough.

I don't think Lage would be a terrible appointment although underwhelming. I think the right signings on the pitch are more important.

Back
Top Bottom