Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not really what he said, not optimistic on the appointment of a bloke who hasn't really managed anyone and when he has has failed. Then again, so had Nuno.

It's also not fans job to appoint a Manager, we have no power really especially with no fans in the ground.
Were you 100% confident that if Nuno went we’d bring in a guaranteed upgrade, someone who we could say yep, he’ll definitely take us forwards?

I’m not. I have faith in the club and appreciate Fosun as owners, but we unearthed a gem with Nuno in that everything just fit. Will we get that again?

This is my issue with people wanting him out. Will we find another manager who fits so well with the project and who represents our club as honourably as Nuno has. And ultimately will they be successful?

Im not sure...

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Somehow extract Loptegui from Seville?!

At the moment it seems that any candidate will feel like a downgrade but who knows? Lage seems very inexperienced.

Of course Graham Potter would be a really interesting one but won't happen as Shi will want to keep the Portuguese vibe going I suppose and Brighton would never let him go.

After the Zenga nonsense it all feels a bit worrying right now. Not only the loss of Nuno but his great background staff, all of whom will now go. Neves and Neto also our crown jewels may get itchy feet too. Jeff Shil needs to be very very careful who he brings in now. My concern is that the money taps are coming off and that this hastened Nuno's departure. If so, Fosun ar playing with fire and only a second grade manager will be attracted.

Reaction score
For those accustomed with Nuno style, Lage would be a departure from such style.
While Nuno has a more conservative, methodical and explicitly tactical approach to the game. Lage on the other hand likes to give some freedom to creative players (like he did with Felix at Benfica), is more attack minded and also less formulaic.
Forget 3 or 5 defenders formations, he plays with a flat back 4, flows in between a 3 man midfield (in this case the creative forward drops to be used as a pure number 10) and a 4 man midfield, 2 wingers and a pure striker or when using 2 men in attack one pure striker and a creative forward.

Strengths: You will see more attacking action, a more nuanced style of play, creative and less automatized.
Weaknesses: Defense. Nuno is known for improving most of the defensive process in the teams he manages, Lage is a step down on that.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Somehow extract Loptegui from Seville?!

At the moment it seems that any candidate will feel like a downgrade but who knows? Lage seems very inexperienced.

Of course Graham Potter would be a really interesting one but won't happen as Shi will want to keep the Portuguese vibe going I suppose and Brighton would never let him go.

After the Zenga nonsense it all feels a bit worrying right now. Not only the loss of Nuno but his great background staff, all of whom will now go. Neves and Neto also our crown jewels may get itchy feet too. Jeff Shil needs to be very very careful who he brings in now. My concern is that the money taps are coming off and that this hastened Nuno's departure. If so, Fosun ar playing with fire and only a second grade manager will be attracted.
This is exactly what I sense is happening.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But you wanted Nuno gone. We can’t just cherry pick who we want, we aren’t there as a club.

You reap what you sow...
Hang on just a minute. Yes we can.

It is thanks to Nuno that we are in the situation in, but being in the premier league we are one of 15ish clubs that half the world want to manage. Don't make us out to be beggars when we are amongst the choosers of the world. Nuno was a very good manager; but there are other very good managers in the world.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
um sorry but we did, and we appointed him.

we're now looking at bruno lage so basically anyone mendes can come up with
Your suggestion is that Zenga was Fosuns choice.

He was never their choice he was the only one left when their choice backed out to get his dream job at the last minute.

At best you're trying to paint Fosun in a light where they don't know what they're doing and they merely got lucky with Nuno.

Lopetegui is a better manager and he was their target so I trust their judgement.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most important question as to whether I am behind this guy or not.....

Does his name rhyme with Braga?

Reaction score
Heard Lage is a bit of a yes man and that he asked for certain reinforcements but Benfica ended up spending 60m in the summer after his first season with players he even didn't want like Raul de Tomás and then Weigl in January
Benfica is not a good example of leadership.
They are led pretty much like a dictatorship. Questioning the chairman usually ends badly for any manager. He did question him in his last weeks as Benfica manager...well it all ended with him being sacked on TV. The chairman assured him they would talk as soon as the season ended but in fact he ended up sacking him on TV to promote the signing of Jorge Jesus in what was a populist move.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't he the Portuguese Steve Bruce?
Steve Bruce is underrated by some it seems.
Keeping a poor Newcastle team up two seasons in a row.
Just because he looks like a potatoe doesn´t mean he is one..:)

I don´t want either Bruce or Fat Sam at Wolves..but both is underrated by the average fan IMHO.

Reaction score
If we have to get another Portuguese manager in I'd like Rúben Amorim. Improbable though.
A manager more in line with Nuno.
But more defensive.
His Sporting side won the title winning most of the matches by 1 goal and saving 20 points in injury time.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Your suggestion is that Zenga was Fosuns choice.

He was never their choice he was the only one left when their choice backed out to get his dream job at the last minute.

At best you're trying to paint Fosun in a light where they don't know what they're doing and they merely got lucky with Nuno.

Lopetegui is a better manager and he was their target so I trust their judgement.

"the only one left" --- are you sure about that?!!

as for me trying to paint fosun in a light - i have no doubt whatsoever they know what they are doing, and that's working closely with Mendes, and it's now where we are on Mendes' list of priorities that will guide our next moves.

if that's mid-table or lower and he's got his sights set on more / bigger clubs, but we churn out prodigies for mega bucks and never really get anywhere, that'll do him and them because it fits the business model

i've been overjoyed by what fosun have done for us. but it doesn't change the fact that it's about money and not necessarily winning stuff

Reaction score
Seriously though,who exactly had heard of Nuno before he came?
He hadnt exactly a great pedigree had he?
He had managed two Bigger Teams before.
Reached Champions League quarter-finals.
Fought for the title with Porto till almost the last day of the season.
His curriculum was far from empty or lackluster for a Championship team at the time.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

His curriculum was far from empty or lackluster for a Championship team at the time.
What you have to realise here mate is people are arrogant and ignorant as **** about any football that isn't in England

Wolf Pack leader

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Your thought on Jardim or Fonseca ?

Reaction score
Honestly, who is this guy

Part of me actually wants this amateur to get it, just for all those ****ing YouTube Virgins who were screaming in there mom and dad's bedroom for the best we could ever get to leave.
An amateur with league titles and Champions League matches. Oh well.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having looked at Lage's CV, he is terribly inexperienced. One good season at Benefica is not enough and seems like he would be a huge risk to me. A couple of brief assistant manager jobs at Sheff Wedenesday and Swansea are hardly a ringing endorsement. And why isn't he still at Benefica if he did so well? First thought would be Fonseca who is only 48 yet has had much more experience and had two good years at a substantial club - Roma.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For those accustomed with Nuno style, Lage would be a departure from such style.
While Nuno has a more conservative, methodical and explicitly tactical approach to the game. Lage on the other hand likes to give some freedom to creative players (like he did with Felix at Benfica), is more attack minded and also less formulaic.
Forget 3 or 5 defenders formations, he plays with a flat back 4, flows in between a 3 man midfield (in this case the creative forward drops to be used as a pure number 10) and a 4 man midfield, 2 wingers and a pure striker or when using 2 men in attack one pure striker and a creative forward.

Strengths: You will see more attacking action, a more nuanced style of play, creative and less automatized.
Weaknesses: Defense. Nuno is known for improving most of the defensive process in the teams he manages, Lage is a step down on that.
Really interesting, thank you for that insight. He'll obviously be given every chance if he comes here by the fans, but his record is concerning given lack of real experience. It seems there are better candidates out there, but not every manager wants to manage Wolves as some seem to think, and Lage is represented by Mendes so it would seem to make sense he's pushing for his client to come here.

D

Deleted member 11332

Were you 100% confident that if Nuno went we’d bring in a guaranteed upgrade, someone who we could say yep, he’ll definitely take us forwards?

I’m not. I have faith in the club and appreciate Fosun as owners, but we unearthed a gem with Nuno in that everything just fit. Will we get that again?

This is my issue with people wanting him out. Will we find another manager who fits so well with the project and who represents our club as honourably as Nuno has. And ultimately will they be successful?

Im not sure...

Could say that about any manager who's had success anywhere.

Sometimes they reach their shelf life. If Leicester had kept Ranieri they'd probably be back in the bottom half now even though he won the league for them.

Similarly teams boot managers and the best appointment is awful.

In both situations it's not the fans but the owners/directors who make the decision on who is hired and fired.

Id be quite happy for Coady to go, I don't think he suits a back 4 and I want us to be more attacking, if he leaves and we sign a complete donkey is that my fault?

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the club is going to lose Patricio, Neves etc. this summer, then we aren't going to attract the quality of manager most of us would want. In reality, Lage is probably as good as it's going to get. I'm sorry if that's not what people want to hear, but that seems to be the way it's heading.

Reaction score
Having looked at Lage's CV, he is terribly inexperienced. One good season at Benefica is not enough and seems like he would be a huge risk to me. A couple of brief assistant manager jobs at Sheff Wedenesday and Swansea are hardly a ringing endorsement. And why isn't he still at Benefica if he did so well? First thought would be Fonseca who is only 48 yet has had much more experience and had two good years at a substantial club - Roma.
Experience? We can always pick Sam Allardyce :fearscream:

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A
Don't let that fact and achievement get in the way he's a bum who's only been an assistant at dross Championship teams.

He has a lot of youth management experience and had a very high win rate in his first season at Benfica first team. He was nominated best coach of the season.
There isnt much he doesnt now about Portuguese wonder kids.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Christ if the defence is going to get worse we are in serious trouble

Back
Top Bottom