Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So Lage is now awful again?

Why oh why didn't we appoint Lampard, Gerrard or Rafa? They've all done so well.

Why not just accept tonight was a bad result? Lage should have changed it earlier no doubt but he has done a good job regardless.

I don't get the criticism after one bad game.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Said it pretty much all season, he can set a side up, and when it works - great, when it doesn't - he can't change it. Reactive rather than proactive, his in game management is non-existent. Might be a good coach, but a good tactician he isn't and I really don't see him as the man to take us forward, haven't for months
Yeah he is a rubbish in game manager. Think he is a brilliant analyst of opposition and tactically very good but hasn't got a feel for in game. Think he goes a bit too mad. Someone said it earlier in year and I brushed it off but I was wrong

I'd give him another year and a lot of squad turnover.

Saiss, Marcal, Trincao, Moutinho, Traore all out. Big refresh, loads of wages saved there.

If we get a massive bid for Neves (£60+M) I'd take that and properly rebuild. Feels stale, we have been flattered by our league position this season and especially by our goals conceded column.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Why oh why didn't we appoint Lampard, Gerrard or Rafa? They've all done so well.

Why not just accept tonight was a bad result? Lage should have changed it earlier no doubt but he has done a good job regardless.

Don't get the praise after one good game.

Swings and roundabouts, plus as noted, even during the amazing run I said I feel its more the players and a bit of luck more than him, and nothing I've seen has changed that.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can now see why there were reports Fosun were looking at the bloke from Rennes as his replacement.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I can't really work out how much of these poor performances are down to Bruno or him not having the players he wants to play his way. It sometimes seems like the players don't know how he wants them to play or are perhaps incapable of doing it (Bruno seems as frustrated/angry at times on the touchline as we are)... Obviously doesn't help when you're missing Neves, Jimenez, Semedo, Neto, Podence, Donk etc

Mr Sizzle

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yeah he is a rubbish in game manager. Think he is a brilliant analyst of opposition and tactically very good but hasn't got a feel for in game. Think he goes a bit too mad. Someone said it earlier in year and I brushed it off but I was wrong

Saiss, Marcal, Trincao, Moutinho, Traore all out. Big refresh, loads of wages saved there.

If we get a massive bid for Neves (£60+M) I'd take that and properly rebuild. Feels stale, we have been flattered by our league position this season and especially by our goals conceded column.
You honestly trust us to reinvest 60m wisely at the moment ??

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** me what an overreaction
Why is it an over-reaction. I’m not screaming for him to be sacked in the morning. I’m saying I don’t think he’s the right man for where we’re supposedly going.
Nuno got the sack for these types of performances and we loved the guy. Can’t say I have an affectionate view of Bruno that allows me to be as forgiving. **** it though, I’ve got a nights sleep to work it out my system.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Why is it an over-reaction. I’m not screaming for him to be sacked in the morning. I’m saying I don’t think he’s the right man for where we’re supposedly going.
Nuno got the sack for these types of performances and we loved the guy. Can’t say I have an affectionate view of Bruno that allows me to be as forgiving. **** it though, I’ve got a nights sleep to work it out my system.
Nuno was being paid **** tons more than Lage, might be a factor that keeps him in job

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Nuno turned in poor performances ever since covid hit- we have seen some wonderful performances under Lage and he deserves 3 or 4 of his own men in this squad to go for it next year.

That said, it's his choice to detail them to retain possession rather than going for the throat in certain games- the players have proved they can deliver scything attacking when needed and he clearly has the reigns on sometimes.

And also, it's his choice to make no substitutions between 45 and 70 minutes, which has happened on multiple occasions this season. I wish he would be less passive in those situations.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Baffled tonight by his tactics and use of subs against a very poor side. He apparently thinks we were the better side first half as well! Madness.

The Fat Bloke

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He hasn’t won 1 big game yet!

On a few occasions the starting 11 has been baffling, tonight and Wet Spam classic examples.

Why sign players like Chicquino if he can’t even give him game time?

Simply too defensive and negative.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has anyone asked him why he didnt bring on Chiquinho tonight and instead subbed on Campbell? A really weird sub.

Yeah, that was a little odd.

Personally don't think we should be too harsh on Bruno otherwise, given how badly he has been let down in the market.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he over analyses. He sets us up based on what he anticipates the opposition will do, when the opposition do what he anticipates it works fantastically. When they don’t it’s a disaster.

He drills the team to the extent they can’t adapt and their creativity and ability to react in the moment is almost zero. It’s too scientific and systematic. Player A runs to point B and passes to player C who has run to point D. Football is organic, it needs players to respond to the situation, our players look lost if the opposition do something that wasn’t expected.

Nuno had the same weakness, we played one system and if the wing backs were negated we were toothless. The creativity was left to the 2 or 3 up front

Bruno appears to see football like a chess game but an historic chess match where the moves of the opposition are known not a fresh chess match where they are unknown.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Exactly this. He gets excellent analysis; works very hard on individual players, opponents and good coaching of our own; but he can't react intelligently during a game. He reacts emotionally to Individual situations and moments rather than over tactics.
He might learn. But he needs humility and I'm not sure he has that

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Exactly this. He gets excellent analysis; works very hard on individual players, opponents and good coaching of our own; but he can't react intelligently during a game. He reacts emotionally to Individual situations and moments rather than over tactics.
Said at the start at experienced number 2 would have been great

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He hasn’t won 1 big game yet!

On a few occasions the starting 11 has been baffling, tonight and Wet Spam classic examples.

Why sign players like Chicquino if he can’t even give him game time?

Simply too defensive and negative.
BS stop trolling

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he over analyses. He sets us up based on what he anticipates the opposition will do, when the opposition do what he anticipates it works fantastically. When they don’t it’s a disaster.

He drills the team to the extent they can’t adapt and their creativity and ability to react in the moment is almost zero. It’s too scientific and systematic. Player A runs to point B and passes to player C who has run to point D. Football is organic, it needs players to respond to the situation, our players look lost if the opposition do something that wasn’t expected.

Nuno had the same weakness, we played one system and if the wing backs were negated we were toothless. The creativity was left to the 2 or 3 up front

Bruno appears to see football like a chess game but an historic chess match where the moves of the opposition are known not a fresh chess match where they are unknown.

This

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Why cant people be critical of what he has done in a particular game without people turning into drama queens about it? Lage stuffed up tonight in a big way. He got the team selection and game plan badly wrong. He got plenty of praise for the Villa game and others.

Nobody is really saying he is awful on the whole, they are being critical of what he has done in this particular game.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As we all know, we have been chasing a European spot for awhile now but the way we fell apart against Leeds and our performance today against Newcastle , has to make any reasonable fan wonder where is the hunger, dedication, urgency, pride from the squad to take no prisoners and leave nothing on the pitch.
By Wolves standards, there was a lot on the line but we didn’t deliver.

Our inconsistency is a valid concern.

Ok, the season is near an end but hopefully our games next season have more bite and ambition.

Last edited:

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure what Bruno could have done differently to be honest other than earlier substitutions. Our transfer work left him with no options in midfield to play with Moutinho and the game was lost before it started. RAN maybe. Up front we don't have many good options anymore, Hwang and Trincao are pretty meh, Jimenez is a shadow of his former self and Silva is still a long way from ready and of course Neto isn't there yet.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure what Bruno could have done differently to be honest other than earlier substitutions. Our transfer work left him with no options in midfield to play with Moutinho and the game was lost before it started. RAN maybe. Up front we don't have many good options anymore, Hwang and Trincao are pretty meh, Jimenez is a shadow of his former self and Silva is still a long way from ready and of course Neto isn't there yet.
Attitude starts at Compton…….attitude can carry and lift teams beyond the sum of their parts. We saw that to come from behind when we were 2-0 down at Villa……..Jesus I could feel the fight in the lads from here.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He got it wrong not subbing hwang , even starting him, as well as starting marcal.

From what we saw chem Campbell is a better play then hwang.

The players let him down yesterday , after fosun have let him down in 2 windows

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Completely agree with this and it suggests to me that he needs a more capable assistant alongside him on the bench that can help Him with this.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Probably the best and most accurate assessment of Bruno I’ve read.
I’m assuming (with his reported excellent analysis of the opposition) that he knew Newcastle would implement the high press. That’s hardly rocket science if any of us have watched their recent games.

What I’m really struggling with, is there was no evidence of how we were supposed to counter this. Completely Out-schooled by David Moyes and now Eddie Howe.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Baffled tonight by his tactics and use of subs against a very poor side. He apparently thinks we were the better side first half as well! Madness.
Wolves failed to touch the ball in the Newcastle area in a dire opening half and manager Bruno Lage will wonder why it took until the 80th minute for his side to work home keeper Martin Dubravka when Fabio Silva forced a diving save.’ Tis often a worrying sign when a manager can’t see what is obvious to everyone else.

Yes, he can analyse the opposition extremely well. Maybe too much so, which is counter productive in these types of games resulting in the players being more worried about the opposition then worrying them.

Last edited:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the whole Is Bruno’s football not more attractive than Nuno’s?

Who’s is the right man for the job? What is Bruno lacking?

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even we are able to hang on to Neves and Moutinho (big if) this squad still needs 3 or 4 quality additions if we seriously want to progress. Lage deserves backing, but no-one is holding their breath lets face it.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score

I'm still fully behind Bruno as it was player availability that scuppered us last night. With Neves, Semedo, Raul, Podence and fully fit Neto we would have made a game of it last night.

That said, it seemed like a performance lacking in any character or attacking intent. Similar to the way we used to set up and play away at Chelsea under Nuno. This has also happened at Norwich and West Ham when we had more key players available. Most frustrating last night was his lack of urgency in changing anything and making subs way too late. Still, I think he's got the makings of an excellent manager though and has over performed this season given the resources available to him.

To give Nuno his due though, before last season we were pretty good to watch most of the time and put in some scintillating performances under the bearded one. There seems to a rewriting of history regarding our performances under Nuno, we were excellent for most of his time here. Some incredible performances.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What's Bruno lacking??

In game management

Fourteen games we've been behind in this season, we've failed to get back into thirteen of them. That's a massive problem and is entirely down to the manager and his complete inability to change things on the fly

And no, the football isn't more attractive. If you're comparing this season to last there actually isn't a lot in it, we've had things go our way and an excellent keeper (which we didn’t have last season, Patricio was well below par), compare this season to the previous two and it's nowhere near. The first three games were entertaining, and a few since, but we've had turgid performances like last night a few times and you never look at this side under Lage and think they can turn it around. That's on Lage

The bloke reckoned we controlled the game first half last night! I literally cannot think of one thing we controlled in that first 45 minutes.

Don't back him in the summer, sack him. And get someone in who isn't a career youth coach

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What's Bruno lacking??

In game management

Fourteen games we've been behind in this season, we've failed to get back into thirteen of them. That's a massive problem and is entirely down to the manager and his complete inability to change things on the fly

And no, the football isn't more attractive. If you're comparing this season to last there actually isn't a lot in it, we've had things go our way and an excellent keeper (which we didn’t have last season, Patricio was well below par), compare this season to the previous two and it's nowhere near. The first three games were entertaining, and a few since, but we've had turgid performances like last night a few times and you never look at this side under Lage and think they can turn it around. That's on Lage

The bloke reckoned we controlled the game first half last night! I literally cannot think of one thing we controlled in that first 45 minutes.

Don't back him in the summer, sack him. And get someone in who isn't a youth coach
Agenda much? Anyway Nuno, how you been? Good to see you posting as been quiet since you got the boot from spurs.

That youth team coach won the league Nuno couldn’t. Pep was a youth team coach before he got the Barca job.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me Bruno stays , he knows our weaknesses , and he has done well with a frontline of Jimenez,Podence, Neto, Silva Trincao Hwang and Traore .
8th with a frontline that can’t score 10 goals amongst the lot of them .
Not one quality fit for purpose player amongst them . Due to injury , youth, physicality or desire .

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agenda much? Anyway Nuno, how you been? Good to see you posting as been quiet since you got the boot from spurs.

That youth team coach won the league Nuno couldn’t. Pep was a youth team coach before he got the Barca job.

Was Guardiola a youth coach for the best part of 25 years?? Thought not

What on earth can you see in Lage that makes you think he can take us forward? He sets a side up and if it doesn't work, it's game over. He's never built a side but no doubt you think he can spend £100m and sort us out

There is absolutely nothing in his CV to date that suggests he'll be anywhere near a success here. We're where we are despite him, not because of him

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was Guardiola a youth coach for the best part of 25 years?? Thought not

What on earth can you see in Lage that makes you think he can take us forward? He sets a side up and if it doesn't work, it's game over. He's never built a side but no doubt you think he can spend £100m and sort us out

There is absolutely nothing in his CV to date that suggests he'll be anywhere near a success here. We're where we are despite him, not because of him
He’s significantly improved us In the league table this season has he not? Most would agree we’re better to watch that last season barring the odd game. So how on earth has this all happened despite him? You clearly have an agenda.

What about individual players, neves was average last season for the majority of it, he looks a different level again. Moutinho looked absolutely finished, again he’s back to previous levels. He’s brought Kilman in who Nuno didn’t trust.

The guy is only 45 with years of coaching behind him. How is winning the league at benfica nothing on his CV? Plenty of managers haven’t done that including Nuno.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s significantly improved us In the league table this season has he not? Most would agree we’re better to watch that last season barring the odd game. So how on earth has this all happened despite him? You clearly have an agenda.

What about individual players, neves was average last season for the majority of it, he looks a different level again. Moutinho looked absolutely finished, again he’s back to previous levels. He’s brought Kilman in who Nuno didn’t trust.

The guy is only 45 with years of coaching behind him. How is winning the league at benfica nothing on his CV? Plenty of managers haven’t done that including Nuno.
Wasn't hard after last season was it? Where do you think he'd have us with the injuries we had last year? Last night showed he can't cope with injuries and it wasn't the first time we've been that bad. Last SEASON we had a lot of injuries as an excuse, last NIGHT Lage had a lot of injuries as an excuse

And I said where is anything on his CV showing he can be a success for us, not he has nothing on his CV and there's a massive difference between the two. Taking over the best squad in Portugal and winning the league (before producing the worst run of results in their history leading to his sacking) does not mean he can walk into an establishing club in the PL and be a success.

He's never built a side, his in game management is non-existent, there is literally no reason to keep him when there are more proven people out there

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hindsight is wonderful I know, but looking back to when we were first linked is hilarious.

Edit… nothing personal, just funny the certainty some on here had he would be a total disaster.
I only asked a question or didn't you note that?

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Really poor team selection, should have gone 5-3-2 with either saiss or jonny in the middle with cundle and mouts, hwang and silva up top, semedo and air nouri down the wings. Poor Lage very poor, I mean the manager can be creative too. Just ****e mate.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn't hard after last season was it? Where do you think he'd have us with the injuries we had last year? Last night showed he can't cope with injuries and it wasn't the first time we've been that bad. Last SEASON we had a lot of injuries as an excuse, last NIGHT Lage had a lot of injuries as an excuse

And I said where is anything on his CV showing he can be a success for us, not he has nothing on his CV and there's a massive difference between the two. Taking over the best squad in Portugal and winning the league (before producing the worst run of results in their history leading to his sacking) does not mean he can walk into an establishing club in the PL and be a success.

He's never built a side, his in game management is non-existent, there is literally no reason to keep him when there are more proven people out there
How do managers become proven if they’re never entrusted with a job? In that case Klopp would still be at Mainz and Pep would be a youth coach still. Who available right now would do a better job? It’s reactionary nonsense. Would you be spouting this absolute manure had we won and be sat in 6th?

As for benfica, he was the last person to win the title for them.

He’s massively exceeded expectations with most fearing a relegation battle or lower mid table, but yeah you’re right the upturn is nothing to do with his coaching, it’s just luck.

Back
Top Bottom