Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

MontyR

Reaction score
Questionable refereeing decisions aside, why was Podence left up front by himself after the red card? What did Bruno think was going to happen? The ball predictably just kept coming back.
If Bruno subbed on an attacker you’d have people asking why we didn’t play to keep the 2-0 lead. There’s no winning. It was a **** red that threw the game.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Bruno subbed on an attacker you’d have people asking why we didn’t play to keep the 2-0 lead. There’s no winning. It was a **** red that threw the game.
Subbing someone on to try and hold the ball up should surely have been the first port of call.

Pretty obvious that Bruno doesn't rate Fabio who needs a loan for regular game time next season. Means we need another striker.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Questionable refereeing decisions aside, why was Podence left up front by himself after the red card? What did Bruno think was going to happen? The ball predictably just kept coming back.
After match comments he stated the obvious, red card changed the game. It seems Lage was, as others have said, like a rabbit caught in headlights with the red card and didn’t know what to do.

The players also lost their heads defensively and revealed a team that is very good when the match is going to plan but have a soft mentality when it doesn’t. Up to very recently our defence has bailed us out but with the midfield also going missing there was only going to be one winner.

The better teams would have seen that game out with at least a point.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
The odd thing is that in the last two games an early injury has lead to a sub that improved the game. Podence worked far better than Hwang and 343 worked better than 352. Not sure how he was going 351 after the red, Silva and Cundle for Trincao and Podence? Not sure that would have worked better, no subs left and would have been slammed for negativity on here.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No its not
He was to blame

Got it spot on against Everton, as he has other times. But his game management last night cost us 3 points.
Nothing to do with several players making basic errors then? Our best player going off after 20 minutes? The ref sending our centre forward off for no reason?

I honestly don’t know what Bruno can do when RAN, Saiss, Sa make decisions like they did last night.

Seems every time this very limited squad of players lose a game Lage gets jumped on. If we finish 8th - 9th he’s done a great job.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing to do with several players making basic errors then? Our best player going off after 20 minutes? The ref sending our centre forward off for no reason?

I honestly don’t know what Bruno can do when RAN, Saiss, Sa make decisions like they did last night.

Seems every time this very limited squad of players lose a game Lage gets jumped on. If we finish 8th - 9th he’s done a great job.
Why is he playing those several players then? He read the riot act at the kids recently for not having the right attitude. What was that capitulation other than the wrong attitude?

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I can't believe anybody would call this set of players limited.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why is he playing those several players then? He read the riot act at the kids recently for not having the right attitude. What was that capitulation other than the wrong attitude?
So you wouldn’t have started RAN and Sa last night?
The squad is limited, bored of saying it. Nuno knew it, Bruno knows it. Tired of the manager getting pelters for every defeat when his backing from above has been feeble and we’re sat 8th in the league with a ten point cushion to 9th.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Accept it, he messed up as much as the players you mentioned.

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saiss looked dodgy after his blow to the head, i said it at the time that he should of brought Kilman on. Saiss cost us two goals last night, an air shot at a clearance and yet again giving away needless fouls in dangerous areas when Leeds werent causes a problem.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You wouldnt be so snappy about it if you really were a Wolves fan. You reacting like that just proves it. At least you got a nice 2-0 win against Norwich to boost your spirits.

Works both ways. If he manages the team better, makes the right changes, we win as well.
I may not always agree with Hot Fuss, far from it, but l know for a fact that he is an ardent Wolves fan. Jokes about him and Villa are just that.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
We've had one ban over last nights game, and some others are sailing a bit close to the wind.
Your opinions may matter to you, but remember you have to have posting permissions in order to share them here...

Sirstancullis

Reaction score
I don't quite understand the extreme positions that some hold in terms of Bruno,(some seem to think he's the next Brian Clough, others think he's Dean Saunders and not fit to lace Nuno's boots). We are all entitled to opinions, but the truth is surely somewhere in the middle. I suppose that's social media and the modern world we live in with sensationalism and over exaggeration.

For my part Bruno's done ok with someone else's players and he hasn't really been backed in the transfer market so in that respect he's done well. We don't have strength in depth and he's had to deal with lots of injuries and key players returning, as well as trying to change our style, (no easy task when your not supported financially)

I think he does tinker too much at times, when we don't have the strength in depth to do that (perhaps he's trying to make a point to the board?)
The way we sometimes look to see out games, try to be negative and sit back after taking the lead is also dangerous and we have been caught out a few times now.
I don't think he epitomises composure and confidence from his touchline activities at times.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

I don't quite understand the extreme positions that some hold in terms of Bruno,(some seem to think he's the next Brian Clough, others think he's Dean Saunders and not fit to lace Nuno's boots). We are all entitled to opinions, but the truth is surely somewhere in the middle. I suppose that's social media and the modern world we live in with sensationalism and over exaggeration.

For my part Bruno's done ok with someone else's players and he hasn't really been backed in the transfer market so in that respect he's done well. We don't have strength in depth and he's had to deal with lots of injuries and key players returning, as well as trying to change our style, (no easy task when your not supported financially)

I think he does tinker too much at times, when we don't have the strength in depth to do that (perhaps he's trying to make a point to the board?)
The way we sometimes look to see out games, try to be negative and sit back after taking the lead is also dangerous and we have been caught out a few times now.
I don't think he epitomises composure and confidence from his touchline activities at times.
Just because Bruno is not fit to lace Nunos boots does not mean he is as bad as Dean Saunders. Dean smith maybe but not Dean Saunders.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saiss looked dodgy after his blow to the head, i said it at the time that he should of brought Kilman on. Saiss cost us two goals last night, an air shot at a clearance and yet again giving away needless fouls in dangerous areas when Leeds werent causes a problem.

Thanks for raising this point as I wondered too if he was suffering a concussion injury, he just didn’t look right after the elbow

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno got us to 7th with Diogo Jota and an absolutely prime Raul Jimenez
Bruno is going to get us to 8th without Jota and without an effective CF at the club.
We all make mistakes: judge him when he has had the chance to build his own team

I honestly dont think some people want to accept that mistakes can be made. I think he has had a good season and got plenty of plaudits but that doesnt mean Bruno, or anyone for that matter shouldnt be called out when they get it wrong. As long as its contructive, i'm fine with that.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks for raising this point as I wondered too if he was suffering a concussion injury, he just didn’t look right after the elbow
If our medical staff had any doubts, they really should have hauled Saiss off using the concussion protocol.

It isn't as if we were short of options on the bench -

Kilman LCB
Gomes LCB
Marcal LCB experience at his previous club.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I honestly dont think some people want to accept that mistakes can be made. I think he has had a good season and got plenty of plaudits but that doesnt mean Bruno, or anyone for that matter shouldnt be called out when they get it wrong. As long as its contructive, i'm fine with that.
The criticism is fine of course he makes mistakes all managers do, he deserves credit for getting us where we are when he hasn’t had any backing and a pile of injuries. Some are very quick to slate him when we lose and keep quiet when we win

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So you wouldn’t have started RAN and Sa last night?
The squad is limited, bored of saying it. Nuno knew it, Bruno knows it. Tired of the manager getting pelters for every defeat when his backing from above has been feeble and we’re sat 8th in the league with a ten point cushion to 9th.
I'm tired of people happy to say our squad is **** for the benefit of a manager who's job performance has been mostly average. 8th with these players is no miracle.
I wouldn't have started Saiss, who offers no cover for a mistake by Ait-Nouri for the first, and leaves us in the **** with a truly awful clearance for the second. I don't see how Kilman gets dropped for his form, and Saiss doesn't despite him being poor since he came back from the ACN.
He could have brought another striker on for Podence when Raul got sent off.
I expect his response to this performance will be drop Ait-Nouri, and play Marcal. Podence through the centre for Raul.
And we'll get battered.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm tired of people happy to say our squad is **** for the benefit of a manager who's job performance has been mostly average. 8th with these players is no miracle.
I wouldn't have started Saiss, who offers no cover for a mistake by Ait-Nouri for the first, and leaves us in the **** with a truly awful clearance for the second. I don't see how Kilman gets dropped for his form, and Saiss doesn't despite him being poor since he came back from the ACN.
I expect his response to this performance will be drop Ait-Nouri, and play Marcal. Podence through the centre for Raul.
And we'll get battered.
Never said the squad is ****.

Did you expect this squad to finish 8th in August? Doubt it.

Who in our squad outside of Neves would attract interest from Spurs or West Ham, the 2 teams above us? Not many is it?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The odd thing is that in the last two games an early injury has lead to a sub that improved the game. Podence worked far better than Hwang and 343 worked better than 352. Not sure how he was going 351 after the red, Silva and Cundle for Trincao and Podence? Not sure that would have worked better, no subs left and would have been slammed for negativity on here.

Yes, I do wonder what the reaction would have been if he'd done something like that and we'd hung on for a 2-1. Suspect a few would have been outraged as we didn't score 4 against a "poor Leeds side there for the taking".

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And we'll get battered.

So it's Saiss fault for not covering others mistakes, yet when he makes a mistake (yes, it's awful, but so was Ait-Nouris for their first), who gets blamed for not covering him? Or does Sa walkabout count as bizarre "cover"? Saiss also saved us at least once with last ditch tackles - as he has done many times this season. How about we analyse every goal we concede, just to work out how Saiss is to blame, because we just know he is at fault somewhere, don't we?

Our whole defensive side was Keystone Kops for much of the match, seems unfair to blame individuals for such a collective mess.

To an extent, agree than Bruno is at fault for not reacting anywhere near quick enough to a changing situation. He's done this before, it seems something we're stuck with. I'm in the "be careful what you wish for" camp as this same squad that you think 8th is no miracle, finished 13th last season. So what was that then? Serious underperforming? No manager is perfect, you take the rough with the smooth.

My view is that this is a talented squad but has limitations and performs at it's best by playing well organised, tight, often dour to watch football. Nuno tried to liven it up. Failed. Bruno is trying to liven it up. And you can't get more lively and entertaining than last night! Yet still it's not enough. It's deluded to think we are a top 6 side in-waiting, but being mismanaged to a lowly 8th, totally deluded. The only way this squad can significantly improve is by spending . Either big spending or super-smart spending (ideally both). 8th to 14th is about our level.

Last edited:

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who in our squad outside of Neves would attract interest from Spurs or West Ham, the 2 teams above us? Not many is it?
Sa
Kilman
Semedo
Ait-Nouri
Jonny
Neto
Podence

And Jimenez would be of interest to West Ham

And Neves

So I make it nine, not counting the winger who's at Barca that Spurs were chasing - I'm sure they wouldn't say no to Coady or Moutinho either.

So no, not many at all...

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still remains, we would be where we are with or without him.
Funny I met a Charlton supporter today by accident, they reached a stage where they didn’t like Curbishley, well the rest is history, funny how there are all these great managers out there just waiting for us to call.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes. Ii
Never said the squad is ****.

Did you expect this squad to finish 8th in August? Doubt it.

I dunno. I think I said top half, and I think that should be the least with the talented players that we seem to be able to attract.

Neves could play for a number of teams above us. But you have to remember Doc is now starting to play regularly at WB for spurs. Tottenham. Jonny/Semedo are supposed to be better. Traore starts regularly at Barca but was mostly benched the first part of this season. Ait-Nouri, kilman coady would be there or thereabouts. The performances of Sa and Lloris were the difference in our game against spurs.
Flip the question round; who do you take from West ham and spurs?
I'd take soucek, bowen and Antonio from West ham. I would take Kane Son, maybe Lucas Moura and Hojberg from Spurs. They really aren't levels above any more.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agreed don’t remember anyone criticising his decisions last time Raul got himself sent off at Man City when the same players could remember how to defend.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes. Ii

I dunno. I think I said top half, and I think that should be the least with the talented players that we seem to be able to attract.

Neves could play for a number of teams above us. But you have to remember Doc is now starting to play regularly at WB for spurs. Tottenham. Jonny/Semedo are supposed to be better. Traore starts regularly at Barca but was mostly benched the first part of this season. Ait-Nouri, kilman coady would be there or thereabouts. The performances of Sa and Lloris were the difference in our game against spurs.
Flip the question round; who do you take from West ham and spurs?
I'd take soucek, bowen and Antonio from West ham. I would take Kane Son, maybe Lucas Moura and Hojberg from Spurs. They really aren't levels above any more.
Incredibly you’ve not mentioned rice .

I’d take any of west ham wide forwards, centre backs, and rice . So most of their team.

Same for spurs really.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa
Kilman
Semedo
Ait-Nouri
Jonny
Neto
Podence

And Jimenez would be of interest to West Ham

And Neves

So I make it nine, not counting the winger who's at Barca that Spurs were chasing - I'm sure they wouldn't say no to Coady or Moutinho either.

So no, not many at all...
Podence and Raul? Ok mate if you say so.

Jonny and Neto agree but Lage has hardly had them available all season.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Podence and Raul? Ok mate if you say so.

Jonny and Neto agree but Lage has hardly had them available all season.
You don't think they'd be of interest? Certainly Raúl would be of interest to West Ham and both sides would take Podence, you didn't say start for them

If you combined the three squads to make a side I think you'd have more Wolves than Spurs or West Ham

Back
Top Bottom