Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage told club he didn't need a midfielder.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Apparently according to 'the Athletic', I don't know their source or if they've quoted anyone, but apparently meat on the bones isn't necessary for a news story these days so who cares?

Now reading between the lines, perhaps targets were identified and Lage didn't consider them good enough. Maybe he really does rate Cundle, a theory supported by him sending Jordao out on loan.

What's encouraging is Cundle's performance v Spurs, if he keeps it up in Moutinho's absence then Bruno should feel vindicated in his decision.

This fan supports the decision, so if anyone from 'The Times' is reading this you can state fan feeling as being supportive of that decision.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Definitely consistent with his press conferences. Never mentioned a midfielder was needed.

Must admit was a bit surprised with his comments but obviously we had a little gem waiting in the wings.

Things are fitting in nicely for our final end of season push...

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely consistent with his press conferences. Never mentioned a midfielder was needed.

Must admit was a bit surprised with his comments but obviously we had a little gem waiting in the wings.

Things are fitting in nicely for our final end of season push...
I was surprised he wasn't looking at CM's too. I felt as I did in the summer, we just needed another body in there. That body is Luke Cundle it seems.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Any midfielder bought in would have stunted cundles development he certainly wouldn’t have started against spurs Bruno agreed for Giles and Jordao to go on loan also.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Academy is a huge part of the plan, and Jeff's passion, you see him at all the games watching

Yes, it saves cash but if that's the way we are going (as stated many times by the club) then it makes me less anxious when we actually see one get in and play well

I tongue in cheekly said on the comms thread on Sunday that Cundle had Fosun's whole plan and transfer strategy on his shoulders in that game, but it wasn't far off the truth! And he justified the approach with his performance

More needs to come through now, and it seems there's some youngsters to genuinely get excited about, and less so about buying first team players that are not needed for the starting 11... of which we may well need 2 or 3 in the summer

The rest we can start to trust the kids with a bit more

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Yes he is another option who we all hope can make the breakthrough but as with the other 3 in midfield will they be able to improve our goals output ?

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno never mentioned wanting a CM in january so I can buy this as accurate.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
I watched a recording of the match and studied Cundle more. He is definitely not a box to box midfielder. Holds his position and stays around the center circle most of the time. He did venture into the box to feed Raul his chance in the second half though. Too early to have real view on him from what I saw, he is very much in the same mould as Neves and Mouts though without the range of long passes as yet. Neat and tidy is what I would describe him from one PL game.

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched a recording of the match and studied Cundle more. He is definitely not a box to box midfielder. Holds his position and stays around the center circle most of the time. He did venture into the box to feed Raul his chance in the second half though. Too early to have real view on him from what I saw, he is very much in the same mould as Neves and Mouts though without the range of long passes as yet. Neat and tidy is what I would describe him from one PL game.
They are big boots to fill.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My immediate thought is that we are relying on Neves to not get injured. Moutinho, Donc and Cundle imo is not a mf to challenge for top 4/6. You think Wolves would have learnt from what happened last year when we had no cover for Jimenez?
I guess history is the best guide here.

Neves rarely gets injured (credit to our sports science team for that as well) and only really misses games due to his niggling propensity to amass yellows, so I guess the management are banking on him being mostly available for the rest of the season.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My immediate thought is that we are relying on Neves to not get injured. Moutinho, Donc and Cundle imo is not a mf to challenge for top 4/6. You think Wolves would have learnt from what happened last year when we had no cover for Jimenez?
I think over the years a Donk/Moutinho partnership has actually looked better than Donk/Neves.
Maybe because both Donk and Neves seem to prefer the right hand side.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

I guess history is the best guide here.

Neves rarely gets injured (credit to our sports science team for that as well) and only really misses games due to his niggling propensity to amass yellows, so I guess the management are banking on him being mostly available for the rest of the season.
Jimenez rarely got injured before he got ... injured.

IMHO it makes it all the more disappointing if Bruno compromised on his midfield to ensure the arrival of an attacker and CH, and was then snubbed on those as well.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes he is another option who we all hope can make the breakthrough but as with the other 3 in midfield will they be able to improve our goals output ?
Playing 352 allows dendoncker to make runs into the box like he has recently. If he ends up with 4 or 5 by end of the season that would be a great return. Regardless of personnel the way we set up doesn’t lend itself for someone to get loads from midfield.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d say that’s more of a tactical thing than an ability thing. Bruno sets us up to have two holding midfielders whether we play 343 or 352, it’s that defensive base that’s got us statistically the 3rd “goals against” in Europe currently

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He is quicker than Neves and Moutinho. From watching him in the u23's he does like to get forwards and press.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage is reported to have felt that bringing another midfielder in would have prevented Cundle from getting chances to play. It was seen as risky but necessary for his development and Lage had trust in him as did the rest of the first team since he spent a lot of training sessions with them so knew the way the team plays. All according to Spiers anyway.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Lage is reported to have felt that bringing another midfielder in would have prevented Cundle from getting chances to play. It was seen as risky but necessary for his development and Lage had trust in him as did the rest of the first team since he spent a lot of training sessions with them so knew the way the team plays. All according to Spiers anyway.
I think that makes sense. The big factor is if Cundle is good enough. It’s too early to tell right now but if Bruno thinks he will be then we have to back him.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As chuffed as I am for Cundle, and as much as I love Bruno, we still need a quality midfielder this summer, if we want to continue on the right trajectory. It’s naive to suggest otherwise.
Agreed whilst its great to see the academy lads coming through we also need some real experienced players in there too. It’s about getting the balance of the two correct

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A refreshingly normal kind of management decision. A bit different from what we are used to in the "fantasy" football world. He will of course live, or die by such decisions, as any manager would in a normal business environment, but, if it is true it does show he is his own man and thinks about the consequences, rather than expecting to be bailed out by big money expenditure.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As chuffed as I am for Cundle, and as much as I love Bruno, we still need a quality midfielder this summer, if we want to continue on the right trajectory. It’s naive to suggest otherwise.
Well I’d suggest as soon as you get to a top 6-8 spot, unless you’re spending gazillions, the trajectory plateaus out considerably. On that basis, if we finish 6th this season, it would be total vindication for everyone running the club. However, I very much doubt the credit will be given to all fairly. Anyway, I doubt we would be able to afford a player or players to get us to 5th or 4th, let alone maintain it.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, you can't win anything with kids

© Alan Hansen

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the whole scenario is based on who goes or stays in the summer. If Joao goes home to Portugal and Ruben gets his big move we’ll need several

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair play to him if all true.

I would 1000% much rather see a youngster come through the ranks and compete, instead of buying in from abroad and have the inevitable "needs 6-12 months to get used to the league" uncertainty.

We were here last year thinking Otasowie might be the next big thing, and it didn't pan out, so there's no guarantee. But Cutrone and Jose didn't work either. There's always a bit of luck involved.

I'd be delighted if Toti, Cundle and MGW were getting regular minutes next season, maybe Giles and Corbeanu too. Gives us a certain identity. The acid test will be keeping hold of most, if not all, of our key experienced players around them.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure if I believe Bruno said this. He could of trusted and given a Cundle chance way before now if that was the case. Still I’m glad we now know Cundle is good enough. Been singing his praises for a while. More money saved, maybe!!

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair play to him if all true.

I would 1000% much rather see a youngster come through the ranks and compete, instead of buying in from abroad and have the inevitable "needs 6-12 months to get used to the league" uncertainty.

We were here last year thinking Otasowie might be the next big thing, and it didn't pan out, so there's no guarantee. But Cutrone and Jose didn't work either. There's always a bit of luck involved.

I'd be delighted if Toti, Cundle and MGW were getting regular minutes next season, maybe Giles and Corbeanu too. Gives us a certain identity. The acid test will be keeping hold of most, if not all, of our key experienced players around them.

Be surprised if even three of those you mention are at the club next season rather than on loan elsewhere.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Lage and the players really rate Cundle then thats good enough for me. Especially given how well we’ve seen Kilman mature and develop this season. A very encouraging article I’d have said

I suspect we will need at least 1 midfielder this summer as a replacement (I cant see us retaining both Neves and Moutinho), but I suspect the main investments we make will be at CB and CF, whilst the likes of Giles, Jordao, Sanderson and MGW perhaps rejoining the squad full time?

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I seem to remember a quote from Bruno when he first started that Neves, Moutinho and Donks were all too similar; maybe he is impressed with the younger lads.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure if I believe Bruno said this. He could of trusted and given a Cundle chance way before now if that was the case. Still I’m glad we now know Cundle is good enough. Been singing his praises for a while. More money saved, maybe!!

It fits precisely with the direct quote, so I don't think you need a tin foil hat in this case:

"We need one, we need one centre-back."

"I think also we can find one more winger, a different striker, so we have two or three situations we can improve to manage better our squad."

Source: Sky Sports, 1st of January, including video (possibly a deepfake?) of Bruno.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are currently at the glass ceiling so I'd suggest the only way we get a quality midfielder is if one of the existing crop goes.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d agree with that, but perhaps it’s not in place of Cundle as the 4th midfielder.

If Cundle can make the step up, what we actually need is someone who offers something different in place of one of our main 3 who are all good at what they do but all have similar attributes.

I think I’d rather the illusive all action CM people are crying out for to be in place of say Moutinho, if he decides to move on, or Dendoncker if we decide to freshen the midfield up than in place of Cundle.

I think the clubs ethos of a small but strong first team squad backed up by the youth teams offering a genuine pathway to the first team is good and we should stick with it. So perhaps rather than asking for more depth we should be looking to make that first team of 18/20 outfield players as strong as possible.

Focus on quality rather than quantity in the summer and continue to offer that pathway for the youth players which will only strengthen our academy’s ability to sign the best prospects who could eventually make the first team themselves.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are currently at the glass ceiling so I'd suggest the only way we get a quality midfielder is if one of the existing crop goes.
Well with no new contract for Moutinho as yet and talk of Neves being lined up again. We will have to wait and see what happens.

We could well have a new midfield next season. I know Lage said he wants a pressing midfield. Replacing someone like Moutinho is going to be hard enough anyway. His winning mentality and personality that he brings to the team

Back
Top Bottom