Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage told club he didn't need a midfielder.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's great that he trusts Cundle at this level but from his time at Benfica it doesn't surprise me that he is willing to give academy players a chance to step up, I imagine it was a big selling point in recruiting Bruno.

I have a question for those who have seen more of Cundle than I have, would he be able to perform in the 2 man midfield as to me he looks like he would suit a 3 man midfield and like Dendoncker would perhaps struggle in a midfield 2?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's great that he trusts Cundle at this level but from his time at Benfica it doesn't surprise me that he is willing to give academy players a chance to step up, I imagine it was a big selling point in recruiting Bruno.

I have a question for those who have seen more of Cundle than I have, would he be able to perform in the 2 man midfield as to me he looks like he would suit a 3 man midfield and like Dendoncker would perhaps struggle in a midfield 2?
I think he’s a lot more mobile than Dendoncker, however his best games are in a 3 man midfield for the u23s

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently Giles has impressed Lage will be with first team squad next season. See what a full pre season brings for players and what contracts get renewed
Be surprised if even three of those you mention are at the club next season rather than on loan elsewhere.
You’d certainly think Cundle and Toti will be, since both have started prem games when needed and impressed. Doubt Corbenau will yet, a champ loan next for him to make sure. He’s standing out in league 1, so you’d think he’s ready for another step up, but maybe not first team yet.
MGW has been a standout in the chump when fit, so he’s got to be worth a go from next season.

There’s also now a growing possibility of a load of extra games from some form of European competition. So although we’d all want and expect some signings, there’s 4 from the academy system plenty good enough for rotation.
(No, that’s not a denial of needing signings as well, but hardly like loads are needed).

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I think our best times under Nuno were in a 352 and the same formation is working well under Bruno now. If Neto comes back anywhere near his previous form I’d like to see how him and Raul link up

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I cant really see Bruno actually saying "i dont want another midfielder",more like a bit of poetic license on the fact that he stated he wanted a CB,and possibly another forward
Cundle did well on his debut,but he wouldnt cope in a 2,he is more of a number 10 type imo,sitting behind the front 2 and probing
As long as Donk performs we are ok in that area for now,but we are really one injury or suspension from struggling

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched a recording of the match and studied Cundle more. He is definitely not a box to box midfielder. Holds his position and stays around the center circle most of the time. He did venture into the box to feed Raul his chance in the second half though. Too early to have real view on him from what I saw, he is very much in the same mould as Neves and Mouts though without the range of long passes as yet. Neat and tidy is what I would describe him from one PL game.
I think the brief was to stop Spurs dominating possession by keeping a very compact, dense shape. Dendoncker was the one given the mantle to break and the team as always compressed the second ball space to make the game scrappy and prevent them countering any of our counters that petered out.

What I gleaned is that he's capable of following introductions and keeping discipline. I wouldn't read too much into his style from that particular game.

Rowzed

Reaction score
My immediate thought is that we are relying on Neves to not get injured. Moutinho, Donc and Cundle imo is not a mf to challenge for top 4/6. You think Wolves would have learnt from what happened last year when we had no cover for Jimenez?
Still have no cover for Jimenez

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The unrealistic prat in me wants 4 quality players in each position on the bench but the realist knows the way we are operating is right. Bruno’s confidence and trust in young Luke must be a massive boost to the kid and I for one am pleased with how his development has been handled. If Bruno is happy with Cundle, Neves, Moutinho, Donk and let’s remember if push comes to shove Saiss can more than do a job there especially considering that was his natural position when we bought him then that will do for me.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fool to himself. Had the ability just the wrong attitude. How many times do we see this happen.
Got to know Bright socially a couple of years back. I don’t think he has a bad attitude at all, In fact he’s a really nice kid. I’d say he doesn’t have the mentality to be a professional footballer (for me there’s a difference between attitude and mentality) and he has an unfortunate first name as bless him, he’s anything but Bright. Waste of talent unfortunately that the club and Nuno specifically tried very hard to get right.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Silva & Hwang would beg to differ.

You may not rate them, but Silva is a CF and can play in that position and Hwang can operate there if Silva is unavailable.
If we're seriously looking at top 4 whilst Hwang and Silva can play CF they are not replacements for Jimenez. Whilst we can't afford to lose Neves in the run in neither can we afford an injury to Jimenez.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we're seriously looking at top 4 whilst Hwang and Silva can play CF they are not replacements for Jimenez. Whilst we can't afford to lose Neves in the run in neither can we afford an injury to Jimenez.

That comment, I've got no problem with. It's probably me being pedantic, but we've clearly got cover if Raul is out/injured.

Now if people want to question the quality of those replacements, that's all fair and well to be honest.

Rowzed

Reaction score
That comment, I've got no problem with. It's probably me being pedantic, but we've clearly got cover if Raul is out/injured.

Now if people want to question the quality of those replacements, that's all fair and well to be honest.
Good point, ant to be fair I do rate both of them in terms of potential, it was more of an emotional response and related to their ability to carry the team.

Raul has carried the responsibility of ‘main man’ up front, our number 9, since he arrived. Last season, when he was injured we missed him desperately and limped to the line without him. Admittedly without Podence at times and without Neto from April

This season, despite full recovery from injury being far from guaranteed in July, he was back there as the talismanic leader of the line. It’s a big responsibility. We didn’t have, and still don’t have, another established leader across the front positions.

In that respect we don’t yet have cover- though I fully accept it may emerge with Fabio in the next 2-3 seasons, or with Hee-Chan; they are cover off the bench, but not yet cover leading on the pitch. To my mind whilst Moutinho is not a ‘cover‘ for Neves as technically they are very different either is capable of taking that leader’s role in midfield.

The key places in a team for cover in that sense are down the spine. We have Saiss if Coady is missing, and Ruddy if Sa is missing, Joao and Ruben in midfield. Who leads the team from the front for us if Raul isn’t there?

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Right now if Bruno Lage told me I didn't need sex for over a year, I would go along with it.

That is the faith he has earnt. Similarly to Wolves, it would also not make any difference to the previous last 12 months.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The ony people talking about top 4 in this club,is fans from off the mix.ONE GAME AT A TIME.is the New motto. ;)

Back
Top Bottom