Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bloated Squad

C

Craddockinho

Right now we have a pretty bloated squad for a Championship side, this is why we should be embracing the 'sell before we buy' policy over the next couple of months. Sigurdarson seems to have been Solbakken's no.1 target this summer so it was great to see the club go out and get him (injuries permitting), but now the club rightfully should look to cut the numbers.

For example, this summer it is imperative we strengthen the defence, however right now we have 11 first team defenders under contract (Foley, Zubar, Doherty, Stearman, Berra, Mouyokolo, Johnson, Batth, Elokobi, Ward, Reckford) and that is not including Craddock who is on trial trying to earn a contract extension.

It is in everyone's interest to bin Johnson, the fans understandably don't like him, he's unpopular in the dressing room, the club is stuck with his Premier League wages and the player himself will be eager to move. Beyond that though, Solbakken will likely want to run the rule over all of the remaining defenders.

The situation changes of course when Jarvis and Fletcher are inevitably sold to Premier League clubs which will represent a substantial pay day for a second-tier club and will give us plenty of room to maneuver in the transfer market.

In an ideal world we sell Johnson sooner rather than later and Solbakken brings in the next Hangeland, but we might just have to be patient I'm afraid...

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who on earth would want any of our players apart from Jarvis, Kightly or Fletch?!

C

Craddockinho

Who on earth would want any of our players apart from Jarvis, Kightly or Fletch?!

Maybe we could package them up? We could sellotape Johnson to Jarvis and convince Stoke that they come as a value pack?

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe we could package them up? We could sellotape Johnson to Jarvis and convince Stoke that they come as a value pack?

Haha! At least the Stoke players look like they can drink, that should help Johnson out a bit.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ward, Zubar, Berra , Stearman, Batth, Foley and Doherty should be adequate at this level. We are stuck with the rest unless we can farm them out on loan

The_Ned

Reaction score
I still think Johnson could become a good player for us if everyone gave each other a clean slate...

But yes, we do have a big squad at the moment. I'm guessing we'll sell at least 1 of Doyle/Fletcher/Jarvis/O'Hara at some point, a few of the youngsters will go out on loan, and maybe Stale will sell some of the love children?

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Giving long term contracts to average players like Edwards always meant we were going to be lumbered with a bunch of players that couldn't take us forward and would restrict possibilities for youngsters and incoming replacements. We need to keep Jarvis and Fletcher bar bids in the £10m range coming in. Hennessey is injured so won't be plundered by anyone. Apart from O'Hara, Doyle and perhaps Kites probably only Championship or lower league clubs would be interested in the rest of the bunch which means not much money coming in for them even assuming we can sell them.

B

BB Wolf

I do not understand why so many posters are critical of Edwards
Last night I watched the Swansea match again (yes I know I need to get a life) and I have to say Edwards was really impressive
I recall the home match against Blackpool last year just before he got injured where he completely bossed the midfield
We are a championship club now and Edwards is a very very good championship player

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last night I watched the Swansea match again (yes I know I need to get a life) and I have to say Edwards was really impressive
I recall the home match against Blackpool last year just before he got injured where he completely bossed the midfield
We are a championship club now and Edwards is a very very good championship player

That is sad yes!! :) as much as Edwards has his limitations he is effective at the role he was employed by mick to carry out. Breaking forward from midfield to support the forward and opening up space for the wide players. Things like this though aren't useful in football, it's all about being slow as $$$$, unfit, lazy but having a great left foot for the odd pass or 2!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is sad yes!! :) as much as Edwards has his limitations he is effective at the role he was employed by mick to carry out. Breaking forward from midfield to support the forward and opening up space for the wide players. Things like this though aren't useful in football, it's all about being slow as $$$$, unfit, lazy but having a great left foot for the odd pass or 2!

Ash Ash Ash. You're dislike of Milijas knows no bounds!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We will have to agree to disagree on Edwards. He is too injury prone and I seem to remember when we were last in the championship he wasnt even a first team regular then. I dont even think he is a very good championship player. I have never seen him boss a midfield apart from the one game you mention. I just dont think he is anywhere near good enough.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Micks 'tactics' were perfectly suited to Edwards headless chicken style of play. Mick should never have bought Milijas in the first place as he was never going to fit in,I still can't understand why he was never sold and apparently it was Mick who pulled the plug on his move to cologne.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with Goldeneyed re awarding long term contracts to journeymen. This, together with some other issues means that a pragmatic approach is now required if we are to move forward quickly under SS.

The reality of the situation is that the market is quite soft at the moment, meaning that Moxey may have to accept less than he would like if we are to unload our considerable surplus in the summer. Players coming into this category include RJ, Hunt, Zubar, Vokes, O'Hara, Mouyokolo, Gued, Elokobi, Edwards and Ward. If Jez could get £12m for this lot in the current market he would not have done too badly. Apart from the £12m or so it would also release a considerable amount in wages making funds available for SS to go out and sign the players he wants.

The above action is required anyway and IMV is infinitely preferable to selling our crown jewels to finance player acquisitions. Should Fletch or Jarvis force a move that is another matter. It would be a shame but it would bring in a further substantial cash injection.

Last edited by a moderator:

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Micks 'tactics' were perfectly suited to Edwards headless chicken style of play. Mick should never have bought Milijas in the first place as he was never going to fit in,I still can't understand why he was never sold and apparently it was Mick who pulled the plug on his move to cologne.

I don't knowhy either and regarding micks tactics, yes you're correct and going forward we always looked a better outfit than a bottom 3 team. It was and always has been the defence that was in need of changing yet some are now advocating milijas' inclusion would have made us better! He wouldn't have as the other players from midfield to attack were set up for fast attacking play down the flanks and midfield supporting the front 1 or 2.

F

FLEET WOLF

I thought this thread was about O'Hara and Kightly for a moment!

mikic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd give Berra, Sterman, George and Ward all away on free transfers just to get rid of them

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have some of you still leaving in the PL world? Or just lost the plot?

Suggesting RJ, Hunt, Zubar, O'Hara, Guedioura, Elokobi, Edwards, Ward, Berra, Stearman for moves whilst we are in the championship, signing players like Frank Nouble and being linked with the likes of Stephen Carr? Any championship club looking to get promoted would love any one of those players. The term be careful what you wish for springs to mind!

itsmee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Right now I think we should leave it all to SM, JM and SS.
as it dont really mater what we think, unfortunately, what will be will be

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought there was a transfer ban in place on Koln when SS was in charge there. Up to now that was offering some comfort with regards to his being unsuccessful while manager there.

D

Dorset DeWolf

Right now I think we should leave it all to SM, JM and SS.
as it dont really mater what we think, unfortunately, what will be will be

Ok can you write this at the end of every thread please and we just won't talk about anything at all during pre season

D

Deleted member 3751

Yes he had a good game against Swansea, probably his best in a Wolves shirt but other than that how often could you say he was an outstanding player on the pitch? Despite being played EVERY time he was fit? He is a good runner and gets into decent positions but lacks the most basic footballing abilities. And I'm sorry but he isn't a good Championship player, let alone a "very very good" one. He hardly shone four years ago. But he was exactly what MM looked for, hard work, honest, run all day and that would make up for his lack of ability. . .

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes he had a good game against Swansea, probably his best in a Wolves shirt but other than that how often could you say he was an outstanding player on the pitch? Despite being played EVERY time he was fit? He is a good runner and gets into decent positions but lacks the most basic footballing abilities. And I'm sorry but he isn't a good Championship player, let alone a "very very good" one. He hardly shone four years ago. But he was exactly what MM looked for, hard work, honest, run all day and that would make up for his lack of ability. . .

The annoying thing is he was also played when he was clearly not fit and however gash he was you just knew he would be in the starting eleven the following Saturday. Mick said in an interview 'you know exactly what you are going to get from Dave' Yes Mick loads of huff and puff with no end product.

S

Sandwell Wolf

I'd give Berra, Sterman, George and Ward all away on free transfers just to get rid of them

You'd have 23 other Championship clubs willing to take at least one or two of them off our hands each then.

News flash... We're in the Championship now, not the Premier League. These players will be contenders for a place in next seasons 'Team of the Year'. Mark my words.

A

andyc225

Edwards would be a star.......................for Walsall!

Really? I'd always imagined him turning out next to top players such as Exodus Geohaghon in the Conference.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Edwards has little technical ability and that lack of basic footballing skill in our side in several positions has held us back. He is a good athlete (when fit) and clearly a good guy but for many of us the club need to turn a new page, get rid of the dead wood and start again with a bunch of players who are more comfortable on the ball and who enjoy the passing game.

That is why Milijas gets the fan club he has even though noone would claim he doesn't have his faults. But I am sure that if the team starts playing a more pass and move game then the likes of Milijas will thrive, get many more games and grow in confidence.

In particular I would like us to find a couple of centrebacks who can confidently carry the ball forward and pass accurately, not resort to panic hoofs. Plus a goalkeeper who can throw out creatively rather than resorting to the big hoof every bloody time. In theory De Vries should be ideal for that. Confident and positive POSSESSION PLAY is what I want to see from now on. The likes of Edwards just aren't technically profficient enough imv to be part of this. But that is not to say he is a terrible footballer, rather he represents the past and the values of Mick and co that could only take us so far.

J

Jameswwfc

Some of you on here live in a different world, we're in the championship now there's probably 20 teami in this league that would love a defence of foley, Johnson, berra and ward. They'll be fine for next season. Yes they struggled in the premier at times against the likes of van persie, rooney etc and a lesser extent dempsey, holt etc but the best we'll come up against next year is the likes of Marlon king, Matt Phillips so they'll be fine. Players i'd want moving on George, Edwards! Milijas, vokes, zubar, hunt.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of you on here live in a different world, we're in the championship now there's probably 20 teami in this league that would love a defence of foley, Johnson, berra and ward. They'll be fine for next season. Yes they struggled in the premier at times against the likes of van persie, rooney etc and a lesser extent dempsey, holt etc but the best we'll come up against next year is the likes of Marlon king, Matt Phillips so they'll be fine. Players i'd want moving on George, Edwards! Milijas, vokes, zubar, hunt.

Why move on Zubar who will be a good player in the championship?

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Why move on Zubar who will be a good player in the championship?

Love Zubar's passion and commitment but for me:

1. Foley is a better right-back who is far more comfortable in possession.
2. We have a highly promising youngster in Doherty as back-up (together with Stearman who can also play there).
3. Zubar would have a relatively decent resale value (£1.5-£2m) enabling funds to be directed to other areas where we are not as strongly covered.
4. I'd imagine he is a relatively high wage earner so again we could free up funds for other areas which need addressing more urgently.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love Zubar's passion and commitment but for me:

1. Foley is a better right-back who is far more comfortable in possession.
2. We have a highly promising youngster in Doherty as back-up (together with Stearman who can also play there).
3. Zubar would have a relatively decent resale value (£1.5-£2m) enabling funds to be directed to other areas where we are not as strongly covered.
4. I'd imagine he is a relatively high wage earner so again we could free up funds for other areas which need addressing more urgently.

Agreed!

C

Craddockinho

Zubar has only 1 year remaining on his contract I believe.

Worth cashing in if he's not going to be the established first choice right-back, remember he's quite prone to injuries too.

S

SimplyTheWolves

Talking of a bloated squad, apparently we’ve got 50 professionals. That’s enough for 4 first teams with a sub each and there's still 2 left over. All these and we still struggled to put in half a dozen decent performances last season!

Back
Top Bottom