Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Billy Wright

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
The former Koi Bar in Princess Street has re-opened under the name of our former great.I don't get up into town much these days but will no doubt pop in at some stage to have a look around.

J

Jack

I've got a business thing up town tonight so will have a look and let you know what's it like tomorrow. Can't be worse than anything else we've got up there at present

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Great Western is a top-notch pub with great ale. I hope this is as good.
Hogshead is probably the best of the commercially bars in the centre.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the Sky commercial for the World Darts? It is centered on the Great Western and if you look closely you can see a Wolves hat on the bar.

J

Jamesjh89

The Great Western is a top-notch pub with great ale. I hope this is as good.
Hogshead is probably the best of the commercially bars in the centre.

Litten tree is far better, hogs head atmosphere is so bad and u have to walk like penguins in there because its so crammed

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love the Western and Litten tree. Definitely sampling the Billy Wright before the Norwich game! Let us know what it's like please those who're going up before?

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
How long will it take to walk from the pub to the ground?

I see there is a big No 9 over the door, probably the house number.

Pity it wasn't a big No 5.

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the Sky commercial for the World Darts? It is centered on the Great Western and if you look closely you can see a Wolves hat on the bar.

Yep, that hat goes on the beer tap when the Bathams has run out, which unfortunately is far too often for my liking.
We had a few left over from the last Wolves Christmas game, so gave them a couple last year. Had no idea a hat would become so famous.

J

Jack

Well I went in last night and the best word to sum it up is average. Only two ales on (Hobgoblin and Directors) and place is pretty much devoid of any atmosphere - ok it's a Tuesday night so may be different on match days.

Positives, it seemed cheap (might be opening night promotions as didn't ask) and they've got lots of screens for the football.

I'll stick to the hogshead and Litten Tree...

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well I went in last night and the best word to sum it up is average. Only two ales on (Hobgoblin and Directors) and place is pretty much devoid of any atmosphere - ok it's a Tuesday night so may be different on match days.

Positives, it seemed cheap (might be opening night promotions as didn't ask) and they've got lots of screens for the football.

Shame, we`ll give it a try soon but that sounds dissapointing.

Berlin Wolf

Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback, Jack.

The pub seems to need a few Wolves fans in, to give it a push.

Any Billy Wright and/or Wolves 50s pics on the walls, or even Billy memorabilia?

Like one of his England caps, etc.

As it is a Billy Wright pub, one would expect a bit more than his name on the outside.

J

Jack

Thanks for the feedback, Jack.

The pub seems to need a few Wolves fans in, to give it a push.

Any Billy Wright and/or Wolves 50s pics on the walls, or even Billy memorabilia?

Like one of his England caps, etc.

As it is a Billy Wright pub, one would expect a bit more than his name on the outside.

Don't get me wrong, there's lots of small pictures up all over the place but can't remember seeing any replica caps. It just didn't feel right for me and the fact it was marketed as a cask ale pub then only had two ales on was an instant disappointment.

It was a Tuesday night so may be different at weekends. Will give it a go on one of the match days.

Other thing is no children allowed, which is a good or bad thing depending on your situation...

E

Edgmond Wolf

With the location and the giant number nine above the door it looks like it was built for Bull rather than Billy

The_Blade

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, there's lots of small pictures up all over the place but can't remember seeing any replica caps. It just didn't feel right for me and the fact it was marketed as a cask ale pub then only had two ales on was an instant disappointment.

It was a Tuesday night so may be different at weekends. Will give it a go on one of the match days.

Other thing is no children allowed, which is a good or bad thing depending on your situation...

Amber Taverns Chain pub. Say no more. Bet the usual rack of Carling / John Smiths / Stella / Strongbow is on show. These pubs are all the same.

S

Sambucashot

I'll be going for a few bevies there before the stoke game.

Berlin Wolf

Reaction score

Thanks for the info and your thoughts, Jack.

Maybe the pub will have a more vibrant feel to it on a match day.

Don't laugh, but when I come over, I drink pints of John Smiths and Boddies, etc as I miss it in Germany.

So, I should be ok in the Billy Wright.

Sideshow Bob

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Does any pub in Wolverhampton City Centre have any atmosphere on a Tuesday night?

J

Jack

Does any pub in Wolverhampton City Centre have any atmosphere on a Tuesday night?

The Hogshead does, but I take your point. Just not sure the way it's styled is going to be conducive to it...who knows I may be completely wrong.

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is this a bad point to say that my local is a pub called 'the Albion'?

T

TonySoprano

All Wolves pub on the border of Ashmore called 'The Albion' too. :D

Some good lads round there.

J

Jungleee

No. Palaces' main boozer is called The Albion as well and their main rivalry is with Brighton and Hove Albion. It's just a (sad) fact that many pubs have albion in the name.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Thankfully there is no link with Sandwell Town.Albion is the old name,and probably original name for Great Britain/England.

leedswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, it's an early (possibly the oldest) name for Britain and latterly England.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Went in yesterday, tis the old Greyhound. First time I've been in since the 80's when we used to climb over the back wall to drink in there when the pubs in town were "officially" shut by 3.00pm.

Nicely done out like most refurbed pubs these days. Liberal sprinkling of pics of Billy and one TV playing a Billy Wright documentary. Other TVs set up for Sky Sports/ESPN.

Beer is usual pub chain fayre, don't expect anything too special on the real ale front.

Crammed as you would expect though some clever movement around the bar area led to an early opportunity to get served which was dispatched accordingly. Though one the younger of our crowd found opportunities more lacking and hovered around the bar for quite a while. Can't beat experience in these situations.

J

Jungleee

Seemed nice enough, agree with StillProud, it wasn't that hard to get served...

Back
Top Bottom