Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Billy Sharp Assaulted + Others in Fans Pitch Invasions

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you think it's going back to the 80's when the country was in the doldrums......people just start lashing out at everything? I just saw inflation has hit the highest level for 40 years, they are buggering up trade and caught between a rock and a hard place on Ireland with America and the EU goiing to damage us if we bugger up the GFA to keep the Brexit fantasy going. People, employees and businesses must be worried the direction the country is going in.

Life ban should be the minimum, the courts should deal him a far heavier blow.....there are pitch invasions and then assault, and that was a real cowardly one.
Whilst there is no excuse for any such behaviour, I can't imagine locking people in their homes for months on end has done much good for their mental health. Whether you agree or disagree with lockdowns is kind of a moot point, humans need social interactions and without them can react in unpredictable ways.

SevernWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Whilst there is no excuse for any such behaviour, I can't imagine locking people in their homes for months on end has done much good for their mental health. Whether you agree or disagree with lockdowns is kind of a moot point, humans need social interactions and without them can react in unpredictable ways.

The last lockdown was 15 months ago, though.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cute that you think the type of person who acts like this at a football match is the type to respect a lockdown in any way

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Cute that you think the type of person who acts like this at a football match is the type to respect a lockdown in any way
I wonder how many decades will slip by before the lockdowns stop getting used as an excuse for things not working or people behaving like ********s.

RedFlagWolf

Reaction score
We had a group of around 20 'yuff' walking around our estate after game was abandoned being expertly marshalled by a bloke in his mid 40's who was in his element......the 'yuff' were hanging on his every word as they strutted with confidence.

As we watched them, occasionally wobbling our heads we couldn't help but think that one middle aged bloke chaperoning a group of kids around the streets at 9pm at night would have created significant safeguarding concerns in many other social situations.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had a group of around 20 'yuff' walking around our estate after game was abandoned being expertly marshalled by a bloke in his mid 40's who was in his element......the 'yuff' were hanging on his every word as they strutted with confidence.

As we watched them, occasionally wobbling our heads we couldn't help but think that one middle aged bloke chaperoning a group of kids around the streets at 9pm at night would have created significant safeguarding concerns in many other social situations.
Seen a few videos. Few of them saying it was all Wolves against Albion, but not so sure.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seen a few videos. Few of them saying it was all Wolves against Albion, but not so sure.
Quite! I know of a few incidents over the years where big ‘firms’ would come together at a non-league game or friendly that reflected their relative locations. For example Enfield (Arsenal) against Tranmere (Liverpool). Little police presence and they’re back on the trains before the authorities know wtf is going on.
However, it still rarely happened inside the stadium.

scotterwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I have been to several Halesowen v Stourbridge games and this now seems to happen every time. I dont believe from what I have witnessed it has anything to do with Wolves and West Brom. It is the local youths (egged on by one or two elders who should know better) who latch on the "number 9 derby" and then not seen again until the two teams meet again. Halesowen v Stourbridge has always been a keen rivalry but was always just banter unfortunately now spoilt by these kids acting up with the stewards/police not prepared to act.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have been to several Halesowen v Stourbridge games and this now seems to happen every time. I dont believe from what I have witnessed it has anything to do with Wolves and West Brom. It is the local youths (egged on by one or two elders who should know better) who latch on the "number 9 derby" and then not seen again until the two teams meet again. Halesowen v Stourbridge has always been a keen rivalry but was always just banter unfortunately now spoilt by these kids acting up with the stewards/police not prepared to act.
That was my feeling as well to be honest. Had the air of Chelsea fans at Heysel about the claims. Every time I’ve been to Halesowen recently it’s had a bit of an edge compared to the past.

There was lots of trouble in Step 3/4 last season. Chorley and Telford have become more notorious than Millwall of late.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The last lockdown was 15 months ago, though.
Yep, and in that time antisocial behaviour went through the roof and has remained on the rise because it has become codified in people's practices.

Even if the people that committed these crimes didn't respect lockdown, that's not especially relevant. Antisocial behaviour is contagious because it becomes normalised. If you watch a pitch invasion you can even see not everyone invades the pitch immediately. It's herd mentality - major social 'breaks' cause polarising behaviours - some behave even worse, some who would have been on the fence join in, some become appalled, and some oppose such behaviour even more. Anthropologists even record this 'schismogenesis' phenomena in the hunter-gatherer indigenous persons of Northern California.

Last edited:

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That was my feeling as well to be honest. Had the air of Chelsea fans at Heysel about the claims. Every time I’ve been to Halesowen recently it’s had a bit of an edge compared to the past.

There was lots of trouble in Step 3/4 last season. Chorley and Telford have become more notorious than Millwall of late.
Agree. The "rivalry" only really started in the 80's when Halesowen began to attract a larger following due to success in FA Vase. However even with relatively large gates both sides have attracted, periodically, over the intervening years, there was little in the way of trouble until the local press and social media started building up the "No 9 derby" idea. No doubt some of those involved might also profess some affinity to either Wolves or West Brom, but they are no more part of any hardcore "firm" than they are true supporters of any local team. Just the normal small time anti-social kids that you find all over the UK these days. (Sadly encouraged by some half-witts old enough to know better.)
It is generally true that Halesowen/Cradley folk tend to be more Albion and Stour more Wolves, but there are many of us who were exceptions to that geographical rule. (I followed both the Yeltz and the Wolves for most of my youth with no crisis of conscience - apart from the odd Birmingham Senior Cup clash that is.)

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, and in that time antisocial behaviour went through the roof and has remained on the rise because it has become codified in people's practices.

Even if the people that committed these crimes didn't respect lockdown, that's not especially relevant. Antisocial behaviour is contagious because it becomes normalised. If you watch a pitch invasion you can even see not everyone invades the pitch immediately. It's herd mentality - major social 'breaks' cause polarising behaviours - some behave even worse, some who would have been on the fence join in, some become appalled, and some oppose such behaviour even more. Anthropologists even record this phenomena in the hunter-gatherer indigenous persons of Northern California.
There is an obvious, but likely unpopular with some, response. That is to come down and come down hard on the idiots. Crack some heads then lock them up and throw the keys away.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There is an obvious, but likely unpopular with some, response. That is to come down and come down hard on the idiots. Crack some heads then lock them up and throw the keys away.
I totally agree punishment should be hard for this and any other type of gang related violence. That’s what it is and it just happens that football is an ideal vehicle for a them v us gang culture, which in reality is no different to gangs from different areas of a town fighting each other. I do think the authorities still struggle to grasp that to a minority of people the sense of belonging, the fashion, the buzz of the danger etc is an attractive proposition and they need to better educate on the harsh realities of gang violence in the hope of at least some choosing a different path. Prevention is better than cure.

Back
Top Bottom