Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bielsa - shortlist for FIFA coach of the year

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nominees -

Bielsa - Leeds
Flick - Bayern Munich
Klopp -Liverpool
Lopetegui - Sevilla
Zidane -Real Madrid

I would imagine it will go to Hans-Dieter Flick.

Bielsa in the top five? He got Leeds promoted, but does that merit being in the top five in the world? I was looking forward to seeing Leeds this season and they are entertaining to watch, but from what I've seen it's nothing revolutionary. Maybe I'm missing something?

Edit -

Just seen another thread started whilst I was writing this one. Merge or delete..

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nominees -

Bielsa - Leeds
Flick - Bayern Munich
Klopp -Liverpool
Lopetegui - Sevilla
Zidane -Real Madrid

I would imagine it will go to Hans-Dieter Flick.

Bielsa in the top five? He got Leeds promoted, but does that merit being in the top five in the world? I was looking forward to seeing Leeds this season and they are entertaining to watch, but from what I've seen it's nothing revolutionary. Maybe I'm missing something?

Edit -

Just seen another thread started whilst I was writing this one. Merge or delete..
Lopetegui for me. Went to a shambles and turned it around... Quickly too.

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Is it just me who just doesn't see it? Sure, he's finally sorted out Leeds, but the way they bang on about him you'd think he's better than Ferguson and Shankly combined.

He's just a moody Eddie Howe as far as I see it?
The last sentence is harsh. Quite a few top managers acknowledge the influence that Bielsa had on them. My problem with him is that he really does only have one way to play.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The last sentence is harsh. Quite a few top managers acknowledge the influence that Bielsa had on them. My problem with him is that he really does only have one way to play.
Is it? When you look at his list of honours, it’s not that impressive. It literally features this on wiki

• LMA Performance of the Week - Match vs Aston Villa, 23 October 2020

I’d say Howe did far more to turn Bournemouth around than Bielsa has at Leeds

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it? When you look at his list of honours, it’s not that impressive. It literally features this on wiki

• LMA Performance of the Week - Match vs Aston Villa, 23 October 2020

I’d say Howe did far more to turn Bournemouth around than Bielsa has at Leeds
Or wilder at sheff United.

But I read an article in the guardian once saying he was a fantastic manager, so he must be.

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A few top coaches have been quoted as saying ‘He’s a top coach’, and that seems to be enough to get him elevated to one of the best in the world. He got Leeds promoted after a total collapse the previous season. The rest of his achievements are abysmal compared to those he is up against. It’s a complete mystery.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A few top coaches have been quoted as saying ‘He’s a top coach’, and that seems to be enough to get him elevated to one of the best in the world. He got Leeds promoted after a total collapse the previous season. The rest of his achievements are abysmal compared to those he is up against. It’s a complete mystery.
I think that he's seen as some sort of visionary.

thisisgil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The award is "..of the year". Surely that implies that the criteria for selection is what they have achieved over the last year. On that basis, are you really trying to say that Bielsa's achievements over the last year rank alongside those of the top five coaches globally?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never got the Bielsa love in. He's made a career from being a serial choker. His "vision" seems to be producing sides that are ridiculously fit (cant knock that) but he invariably burns them out and they collapse towards the finish line.

His Leeds team remind me of Mick McCarthy wolves in the championship, they just out work the opposition most the time. His challenge is this year, started well as shocked a few established teams with their work rate. See how they fair now teams know whats coming at them. In all fairness staying up is a result for them. Remember quite a few on here crowing about their recruitment in the summer.

Leigh72

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100% agree, just dont see it myself. Over hyped .

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bielsa is a great coach, doesn't make this any the less laughable. Getting a decent team promoted to the dizzying heights of 14th in the top flight isn't exactly Spirit of Clough territory.

Hopefully he wins, so that FIFA are forced to cringe ashamedly in a corner.

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I've said this before when people suggested how amazing Biesla is but he's not won much in about 30 years of management.

Sure Leeds did well last year and will be OK this year too but top 5 really?!

Essentially Pep said he's great so it was the trending thought to express for a while.

Fact is Ralph Hassenwotsits has impressed me more how he turned Southampton around. Nuno got promotion in his first year and then two 7th places with a Europa run. Wilder had an amazing season with the resources at his disposal last year and even old gravel mouth at Burnley mounts a challenge for Europe every year with that squad. These are just the examples from England!

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems to me Beilsa has done and is doing a fantastic job at Leeds, however I don't see the context of his achievements should warrant his inclusion on this list.

I do think it was very noticeable in Sky's build-up to games featuring Leeds in the first month or two of the season that there was a disproportionate amount of focus on the "Bielsa way" - although it seemed to tail off once they'd had a few thrapings....

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know when the nominations process closed but I was listening to the radio yesterday and they were talking about Bodø/Glimt winning their first Norwegian title in 104 years. Apparently they have very limited resources even by Norwegian standards but have walked away with the league title scoring something like 85 goals in 25 games so far. Their coaches name is Kjetil Knutsen. Relatively speaking he seems to have done a great job.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Smacks of when Ryan Giggs won SPOTY for doing sod all that particular year

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui for me. Went to a shambles and turned it around... Quickly too.

I think he went to a team in 6th place the year before, to 4th last season. I think in the last 5 years, sevilla have only been outside the top 6 once and that was when they finished 7th.
Sevilla are usually up in that part of the table, so I can't see that he has done anything out of the ordinary. He did have an excellent run, but finished 4th, which is about where you would expect Sevilla to be. Of course he won the Europa league and that is a great achievement, but again something that Sevilla have done many times.
This season, Sevilla have already lost 3 matches, but will still finish in the top 6.
I have no idea why Biela is on that list.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought the RB Salzburg guy should be in there. Also, what’s Bielsa done apart from get Leeds promoted? Was Nuno shortlisted 2 years ago?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he went to a team in 6th place the year before, to 4th last season. I think in the last 5 years, sevilla have only been outside the top 6 once and that was when they finished 7th.
Sevilla are usually up in that part of the table, so I can't see that he has done anything out of the ordinary. He did have an excellent run, but finished 4th, which is about where you would expect Sevilla to be. Of course he won the Europa league and that is a great achievement, but again something that Sevilla have done many times.
This season, Sevilla have already lost 3 matches, but will still finish in the top 6.
I have no idea why Biela is on that list.
I would agree with you but for one thing. How many teams bring 14 new players in and let 14 players go in one window and still get those sort of results? That is why l said Lopetegui went into a shambles...

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would agree with you but for one thing. How many teams bring 14 new players in and let 14 players go in one window and still get those sort of results? That is why l said Lopetegui went into a shambles..
This is true,, he did spend 176 million though. I think in 2018 Sevilla bought 13 players too, but the difference was that they recuperated more than they spent then.
Lopetegui is an excellent coach and gets the best out of players. Sevilla is ideal for him. I think he would do better at a team like Everton, or Wolves than a team like Man United or Barca.

Attachments

• 1506015802_615349_1506016373_noticia_grande.jpg
    1506015802_615349_1506016373_noticia_grande.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 4

NorthWolf

Reaction score

Is it just me who just doesn't see it? Sure, he's finally sorted out Leeds, but the way they bang on about him you'd think he's better than Ferguson and Shankly combined.

He's just a moody Eddie Howe as far as I see it?

It's not just you, there is nothing special about his side, their tactic or players. They are a mid table prem side that is all. Also took him two years to get out of div 2, and then only as champions because Sandwell bottled it toward the end. I know of a certain Iberian coach who ran away with that league in his first season, then got his side into europe the next, and started a popular trend of playing 3 at the back, should that guy be on the list, who is to say but Bielsa, no he just aint all that really is he.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That way he crouches probably does his knees no good at all. Going to regret it in a few years.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** me Nuno must be the greatest.

Promoted in first season and on better points
Wolves 5 places above Leeds
Beat Bielsa in their one head to head in the prem
Has a smaller net spend last summer
Is better looking!

All hail Nuno

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get it - I actually look forward to watching Leeds play because of their style.
I have always disliked Leeds , so to actually want to watch them play is a turnaround.
I love Wolves but as a neutral I dont think I would not tune in to watch us play on present form. Perhaps the last 20 minutes of a game would be worth switching on the TV.
If it was all about winning we wouldn't need these awards. The table tells us those who are winners .

NorthWolf

Reaction score
After thinking about it a bit more..... how the holy **** has he made that list, I mean I can name several managers of the top off my head who have done far more than him, both winning things, developing teams, doing well with a side from a lower starting point. What has he done that warrents being on that list. He must have the dirt on somebody, and with FIFA it is probably very filthy, or he is in the californian forests sacrificing virgins to Moloch on his time off.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
****ed up automatic promotion ****ed up the play offs in his first season
Spies on other teams refuses to speak any English in his interviews
nuno did far better than him in every way
I don’t get the hype about him

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bielsa is a great manager, but of all the years where he deserved a nomination, 2020 isn't one of them

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Madness he has made top 3. Shouldnt even get top 30.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bielsa is a great manager, but of all the years where he deserved a nomination, 2020 isn't one of them
Yeah seems like they think he should really have been in the reckoning 10-15 years ago but they ignored him then so are doing something now while he's back in the limelight.

They need to be quick though because he's heading to the relegation zone the way he's going

D

Deleted member 5910

On the 12th December of Nuno's third season, his Wolves side thrashed Besiktas 4-0 to complete qualification to the knock out phase of the Europa League, having finished 7th the season before and reached an FA Cup Semi-Final.

On the 12th December of Marcelo Bielsa's third season, his Leeds side sits 4 places behind Wolves, having bottled promotion in his first season, and finished 6 points behind Nuno's total in his title winning season.

I cannot fathom why he is being rated in the top 3 coaches in the world.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Interesting that before the game last night, the pundits highlighted West Ham’s strength at set pieces, and Leeds’ weakness. Guess what happens, West Ham score two off set pieces. Can’t be that good of a coach.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the 12th December of Nuno's third season, his Wolves side thrashed Besiktas 4-0 to complete qualification to the knock out phase of the Europa League, having finished 7th the season before and reached an FA Cup Semi-Final.

On the 12th December of Marcelo Bielsa's third season, his Leeds side sits 4 places behind Wolves, having bottled promotion in his first season, and finished 6 points behind Nuno's total in his title winning season.

I cannot fathom why he is being rated in the top 3 coaches in the world.
Think Herr Flick would be a better bet (I will say this only once...)

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched BBC highlights and the commentator referred to the "great Bielsa"... dont let facts get in the way (although I do admire how he sets up Leeds to play).

Back
Top Bottom