Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Best player to play in the Championship/First Division in the last 20 years?

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just a bit of fun -Who would you go for?

I was watching an interview with Sir Alex Ferguson earlier, and he referenced when Man United played against Red Star Belgrade back in 1991, and what a great player they had in a certain Robert Prosinecki.

I remember watching this guy play against us on ITV Digital (remember that?) back in 2001/02 at Fratton Park. He was absolutely sensational, he scored an unbelievable goal, and ran the show from start to finish.

In fact I'm sure I read somewhere he was voted Portsmouth's greatest ever player, despite being there one season. There's some great YouTube videos from his time at Pompey which illustrate what a talent he was. Personally, he would be my choice.

There have been some fantastic names, Ali Benarbia, Eyal Berkovic, our very own Bully and many more, but there can be only one winner.

By the end of this season, the only outstanding candidate will be a certain Diogo Jota.

Looking back over it, that whole City team from 01/02 season was outrageous. Wanchope and Goater as well

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just a bit of fun -Who would you go for?

I was watching an interview with Sir Alex Ferguson earlier, and he referenced when Man United played against Red Star Belgrade back in 1991, and what a great player they had in a certain Robert Prosinecki.

I remember watching this guy play against us on ITV Digital (remember that?) back in 2001/02 at Fratton Park. He was absolutely sensational, he scored an unbelievable goal, and ran the show from start to finish.

In fact I'm sure I read somewhere he was voted Portsmouth's greatest ever player, despite being there one season. There's some great YouTube videos from his time at Pompey which illustrate what a talent he was. Personally, he would be my choice.

We played Pompey in the first game that season,and I remember being really disappointed that Prosinecki's work permit hadn't gone through in time for him to play in that match,I'd always really wanted to see him play.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ali Bernabia
Paul Merson..thought he was past it til he came here with Pompey one night and just ghosted through us for 90mins.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Glenn Hoddle with Swindon, Paul Walsh at Pompey, agree with Bernarbia too

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seem to remember David Johnson running us ragged playing for Bury before signing for Ipswich and coming back the following week and doing the same thing again for them.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Prosinecki first player I thought of.

Hoddle was fantastic at Swindon too. Didnt he essentially play the "Coady role" ?

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking back over it, that whole City team from 01/02 season was outrageous. Wanchope and Goater as well
Going into that last month that City side really stepped up a level. Losing to them really seemed to knock us for six, with the ensuing debacle.

Darren Huckerby looked top class around that time.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Knockaert. Brilliant for both Leicester and Brighton when they got promoted.

Louis Saha
Adam Lallana
Bernabia
Adel Taarabt

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
Jota by a mile. Go see him while you can. No one else comes close.
Go back 30 years, then Bull c.1990 wins.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I think it was when he had moved on to Hull but I remember a night game where JJ Okocha was absolutely fantastic.He was an excellent player.

W

we8wba

Ali bernabi of JJ

Ali had the best season

Best individual game JJ that night match for hull, was incrediable to watch and got standing ovation of all four sides of the ground

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Ali bernabi of JJ

Ali had the best season

Best individual game JJ that night match for hull, was incrediable to watch and got standing ovation of all four sides of the ground
Only matched by Sagbo's debut for us :p

M

merseawolf

Watched Hoddle play at Ipswich one night was on a different planet to all the other players. Played as sweeper. Not sure but could of been player/manager at Swindon at the time.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Knockaert. Brilliant for both Leicester and Brighton when they got promoted.

Louis Saha
Adam Lallana
Bernabia
Adel Taarabt

Adel Taarabt was the first one who came to mind for me. He was outstanding when QPR went up.

I'd also say Matt Murray. The bloke was an absolute superstar who would have been one of the worlds top keepers if they could have fused his bones with adamantium instead of twiglets.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I appreciate jota is good, but for me there is a total lack of memory / appreciation for how good costa is. Fans memories are short, and whilst costa is performances have been limited so far due to his comeback from injury, he has still shown a lot more skill and consistency for the club than jota has, just purely due to his longer tenure at the club.

That may change by the end of the season, but let’s not forget how good costa was at turning players inside out. I hadn’t ever seen a wolves player dribble the ball into the net after skinning a defender and keeper as we did at Cardiff Home last season. Remarkable player .

He will be back to his best in in 1 to 2 months I think and then we start feeling sorry for our opponents for a split second

GAWAZZ

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm glad someone mentions Paul Walsh, one of his performances against us for Pompey was the best individual performance I have seen at molineux. Ran us ragged (after that I think of keepers, Martyn for Bristol rovers, given for Sunderland, Keller for Millwall)

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it was when he had moved on to Hull but I remember a night game where JJ Okocha was absolutely fantastic.He was an excellent player.

That's who first came to my mind and I took my son to Molineux to see him play for Bolton and he was superb that night.

I also remember Paul Walsh for Pompey running us all over the park in possibly the best individual performance I've ever seen live.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
We played a night game at Barnsley (we won ) and Michael Branch was fantastic.I think he played up front with Ketsbaia .I remember listening on WM and when he was subbed just before the end they said all 4 sides of the ground gave him a standing ovation .
Did anyone on here go and remember his performance?

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Someone else mentioned Huckerby .His performance on Easter Monday for City after we had won at Burnley on the Saturday was outstanding.

W

Wolfgang Wolf

always thought craig bellamy could have a great game against us.

unfortunately for him so did kevin muscat.

D

Deleted member 3573J

Merson was superb - overweight, no pace but still a class above anyone else that season.

I always liked Koumas, he was like a poor mans Gazza at Tranmere, he used glide by players with ease. Shame he went to Albion, he'd have been ideal for us.

D

Deleted member 4152

I'm glad someone mentions Paul Walsh, one of his performances against us for Pompey was the best individual performance I have seen at molineux. Ran us ragged (after that I think of keepers, Martyn for Bristol rovers, given for Sunderland, Keller for Millwall)
Would have loved us to have signed walsh as a partner for Bully.

Kevin phillips anyone?

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seem to remember David Johnson running us ragged playing for Bury before signing for Ipswich and coming back the following week and doing the same thing again for them.
I remember that too. He was an excellent player, but I always think he made extra special effort against Wolves as he went to school locally (Newport) and knew many Wolves supporting friends. He was good though, and that debut for Ipswich at Molineux he totally ran the show.

Back
Top Bottom