Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bentley

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It comes back to him having a pre conceived idea without having the players to carry it out. If your keeper can’t kick you work around that until you get a keeper who can kick.
He is a coaching manual coach.

His philosophy and approach will be what ever the latest course tells him it is.

Seen hundreds of coaches like him…. Every season “this is how we are playing, it is what works” then they do the next FA course “scrap that, this is what works now”

Modern day coach education at the FA has a great deal to answer for!!!! It has sucked the creativity and almost maverick flair out of coaching on the whole and made it very methodical and by the book if you want to progress.

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you put the positives Sa brings and the positives Bentley brings you still wouldn't have a top keeper . They're both well below average Prem keepers . Need a new number one in January

Last edited:

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can’t believe we didn’t sign a new number one in the summer. Bentley in the Tom King role rather than at number 2 would prob be ok. Ridiculous from Fosun
This could be said about many issues over the past three years, not just the goalkeeping situation.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is a coaching manual coach.

His philosophy and approach will be what ever the latest course tells him it is.

Seen hundreds of coaches like him…. Every season “this is how we are playing, it is what works” then they do the next FA course “scrap that, this is what works now”

Modern day coach education at the FA has a great deal to answer for!!!! It has sucked the creativity and almost maverick flair out of coaching on the whole and made it very methodical and by the book if you want to progress.
Totally agree. It's a production line, it goes right down to kids level grass roots. The coaches with brains must find it hilarious when they play the latest batch of coaching manual robots.
You could say that the coaching and scouting courses are just a money maker for the FA so some plonker can walk around saying they have various badges. Like passing your driving test, the learning should and will start after the course.
(Dont mean to offend anyone)

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Wouldn't judge a keeper on one match. Bentley was very impressive against Man U last season. Would want to see his stats over a long period to make any comment on whether he was suitable for a no 2 position but can't be bothered as so hacked off with Wolves atm.

Think Sa is good enough to be our number one and really rate him as a top keeper apart from his distribution which I wish he could be coached to improve.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree. It's a production line, it goes right down to kids level grass roots. The coaches with brains must find it hilarious when they play the latest batch of coaching manual robots.
You could say that the coaching and scouting courses are just a money maker for the FA so some plonker can walk around saying they have various badges. Like passing your driving test, the learning should and will start after the course.
(Dont mean to offend anyone)
I remember once one of our soon to retire players started his badges.

Day one the assessor said to him “I hope you aren’t like (named our top academy coach), he is too loose in his approach and not someone to learn from or copy”

Our player was shocked! Told him how much the kids and staff loved him (he was a club legend) and the FA guy just arrogantly sniggered and laughed back passing comment that is why he is still at ours and not working for England…….. as if not working for the England set up was a bad thing!!

The coach he slagged off and put down had personally mentored and developed 6 England players for a few years over his career as our model had two coaches follow a set up and only the head coach changed …….. 4 of those England players still send him a gift every Christmas and birthday and when he retired one bought him a very expensive Rolex!!! and another one named him in his autobiography as the best coach he ever had…… so a seal of approval from the FA that a coach is good or not means little to so many!

The FA just like robots and cookie cutter clones……

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn't judge a keeper on one match. Bentley was very impressive against Man U last season. Would want to see his stats over a long period to make any comment on whether he was suitable for a no 2 position but can't be bothered as so hacked off with Wolves atm.

Think Sa is good enough to be our number one and really rate him as a top keeper apart from his distribution which I wish he could be coached to improve.
Bentley was very rusty, his mistakes were those of “ring rust” and not that he is a terrible keeper.

I know that isn’t popular, but you can tell from his dive and the speed of them, that he hasn’t got his eye in or his reactions dialled in for match play.

It is so hard to be a number 2 GK, much harder to cover and come in and do well than any other position for me as so much of it is about feel and timings and you cannot get those in training. And if you make that rusty mistake it is always punished.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bentley was not first choice at Bristol City, Cobblers fans I know were astounded when we signed King as they had written him off as useless, not first choice for them either....
King is a woeful keeper…… honestly i don’t know the following

1)How the hell he failed upwards to this extent
2) how on earth he has been a full professional as long as he has…….

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Tom King one for me is baffling! He is a technically atrocious keeper! Honestly he is sooooo bad for a professional.

I put here a week or two back, I had to review video on him and write a report on him, after a scout put his name forward as a signing to be our clubs new number 2 who could challenge for the starting jersey.

Oooffff……. I watched his game tape and said in my report he was a waste of transfer budget and we would be better of promoting a highly rated academy keeper (he went to play in the championship) than him as he has slow reactions and terrible foot placement and speed meaning he gets casuhht out by “routine shots” needing to make a more impressive looking save or get beaten making an average shot look like a banger as it went in…..

He should have been no where near our prem club, even as third choice! He isn’t championship or league 1 starting keeper standard if you are club thinking of pushing for league honours.

Now hear me out on this one, as even though he was awful last night…….

Bentley is a decent back up keeper, but he looked rusty as all heck last night, the first and second goals were the movement and reactions of a keeper who hasn’t seen active match play in some time. It is more exposing for a keeper, as if they are a second out in reactions or sloppy with footwork as not match sharp like an outfielder can be and some were last night, they concede a goal but the midfielder gets away unpunished on the score board.

Jose Sa, is a relegation quality keeper in terms of technique and GK IQ, he had one good season. Then Video people got to review him to give a sheet on him to their strikers and ball players and he is exposed most weeks, if he doesn’t expose himself with his terribly erratic thinking. He should have been upgraded in the summer as priority one! As a team fighting relegation need a good striker every bit as much as a striker. for a relegation side a quality keeper is worth their weight in goldz
I admit I didn't see it pre-season, even though I was disappointed with Sa last season. But you're right, keeper should've been right behind CF in our priorities. Sa has obviously (and rightly imo) been given the instruction to get rid/hoof whenever it's played to his feet (because his kicking and ball control are atrocious), but we shouldn't be in the position where a PL keeper has to be told to do that.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bentley was very rusty, his mistakes were those of “ring rust” and not that he is a terrible keeper.

I know that isn’t popular, but you can tell from his dive and the speed of them, that he hasn’t got his eye in or his reactions dialled in for match play.

It is so hard to be a number 2 GK, much harder to cover and come in and do well than any other position for me as so much of it is about feel and timings and you cannot get those in training. And if you make that rusty mistake it is always punished.
He certainly looked like a number 2 keeper yesterday...

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He certainly looked like a number 2 keeper yesterday...
I have said mate, he is a solid prem number two.

And many won’t believe it, but he will be a better number 2 than a fair few prem clubs have currently……

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And many won’t believe it, but he will be a better number 2 than a fair few prem clubs have currently……
I agree nothing more than back up

Wish we gave Mouldon a chance though he’s classy keeper

Reaction score

As long as the opposition don't play in the air to him, he has had issues dealing with high balls throughout his career.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Bentley was not first choice at Bristol City, Cobblers fans I know were astounded when we signed King as they had written him off as useless, not first choice for them either....
My memory is that he had been dropped as he'd fallen out with the boss, rather than actually not being the best of their keepers?

Wolfmeister75

Groupie
Reaction score
All Bentley did last night was cement Sa’s place in the first team however Sa performs good or bad. Don’t care if Bentley is vocal in the dressing room. He ain’t good enough as a number 2 in the premier league. Another recruitment balls up, at least it wasn’t millions wasted (for a change)

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Top post - I was at Old Trafford & all our fans lauded him. Every player needs a run of games

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And some have been calling for him to replace Sa! :tearsofjoy:

Nowhere near good enough.
What do we expect though from where he was brought in from. You get back what you put in and that’s evident with Bentley. Not his fault he’s where he now is.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just wonder if Mary Earps would come to Molineux.
Couldn’t be worse than the clowns we have now in goal.
She’s a bit of a Pickford style **** for me too. Gives it loads.

Think I’m allowed to say that

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Top post - I was at Old Trafford & all our fans lauded him. Every player needs a run of games
Players that have had a blinder at Old Trafford are ten a penny though...

Luke Matheson, Roger Boli and Dennis Bailey all spring to mind...

Every time I've seen Bentley since OT he looks shaky AF.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It comes back to him having a pre conceived idea without having the players to carry it out. If your keeper can’t kick you work around that until you get a keeper who can kick.
What happens when you have a manager that can’t manage ?

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What happens when you have a manager that can’t manage ?
Then you need to rely on your chairman to act.

What happens when you have a chairman who can’t chair?

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What happens when you have a football team that can't football?

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
all three goals could have been saved by a decent keeper. so, you would expect at least 1 to actually be saved. the first two were really bad.

King is a ridiculous signing. paid to do literally nothing.

Sa is a weak keeper and has awful distribution and erratic decision making and a weak punch.

a decent keeper and a good youthful back up is what we need not these three jokers

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This season is rapidly turning into the perfect storm. Atrocious gks, terrible manager, bad referees and horrendous var decisions. The latter 2 has left me so disheartened by the game I've even lost interest in watching something I've loved for 40 years of my 45 year old life (that's the earliest football memory I have!).

Rowzed

Reaction score
Deserves credit tonight,
First clean sheet at the Molineux since August apparently
if Sá is off in January, could he be a #1?
I guess December has enough games to answer that question

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was worried before the game, but Burnley tested him and he did excellently when required. Distribution was a bit shaky at times though.

Back
Top Bottom