Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Benitez to Everton

Bahama Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couldn’t see this posted anywhere.. breaths a huge sigh of relief.. not prepared yet to see Nuno manage a rival premiership team. A good appointment, very brave of Benitez to take it.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couldn’t see this posted anywhere.. breaths a huge sigh of relief.. not prepared yet to see Nuno manage a rival premiership team. A good appointment, very brave of Benitez to take it.
Saw your post on the other thread…..I can’t see it official anywhere although latest reports seem to suggest that he got it.
Must be honest, I feel sorry for Nuno.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see what the issue is with the move over. Players (Ablett and Beardsley) have moved across the lines before after being successful at one club and still be successful at the other! That rivalry probably accepts it more than most to be honest.

D

Deleted member yltz11841

The longer Nuno is out of work the more it costs us. Another question is do you think Everton would be better under Nuno or Benitez? If you think Benitez that’s not good for competition in the league.

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Rafa is very popular and respected in Liverpool for all he did to support the Hillsborogh campaign. I recall that he even donated some of his payoff when he left Liverpool to them. He must have something about him as even Newcastle fans like him. I can’t see Everton fans been too upset - a very safe appointment.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All this talk of Nunomto Palace and Everton, how sure are we he was really in the frame for either?

I would say he must've been "in the frame" for Everton, given at one point I think betting on him was suspended.

With Palace, I expect he spoke to them, but wasn't likely to accept it, due to them being rubbish.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting that there was people saying they didnt want him/he wasnt good enough for us a few weeks ago.
A very experienced manager who I assume was well off our radar due to his wages

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All this talk of Nunomto Palace and Everton, how sure are we he was really in the frame for either?
Everything about new managers in football is rightly or wrongly reported in the media. Was anyone else really ever in the frame for the Wolves job or was Lage always the cheap shoe in ?

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd have been happy with Benitez as he's a very safe pair of hands but promises dour football

I'm excited by Lage as he's not a safe pair of hands but promises attacking, free flowing football

I've always been one for live fast and die young

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rafa is very popular and respected in Liverpool for all he did to support the Hillsborogh campaign. I recall that he even donated some of his payoff when he left Liverpool to them. He must have something about him as even Newcastle fans like him. I can’t see Everton fans been too upset - a very safe appointment.
The Everton fans on their forum don’t want Nuno but they’d rather Nuno than Benitez. Apparently, Rafa called them a small club during his spell as Liverpool manager and many on their forum haven’t moved on. They also think he is a busted flush.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Have a look at their forum. They hate him

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Have a look at their forum. They hate him
They really do on two accounts. Primarily because they think he's past it now and too defensive (much like the concerns of some Wolves fans earlier this summer). Secondly, because of his Liverpool association (and it didn't help that he called Everton a small club when managing Liverpool).

As one of their fans put it, Everton must be the only club who searched for the their manager estate agent style and set the search radius to 5 miles from Goodison Park.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The Liverpool Everton rivalry isn't as civil as it used to be. They seem to hate each other now. Pickford nobbling Van Dijk raised the stakes a bit.

Can't see it working out for Rafa there, but at least he'll be close to home for a few months.

Also raises the question of whether Nuno and his entourage are easy to work with as that's two jobs he was favourite for that now appear to be going elsewhere.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Everton fans on their forum don’t want Nuno but they’d rather Nuno than Benitez. Apparently, Rafa called them a small club during his spell as Liverpool manager and many on their forum haven’t moved on. They also think he is a busted flush.
From what I've seen of their comments about Wolves and Nuno I can only imagine the heights of sell righteous indignation that comment has caused, accurate as it is compared to their neighbours.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd have been happy with Benitez as he's a very safe pair of hands but promises dour football

I'm excited by Lage as he's not a safe pair of hands but promises attacking, free flowing football

I've always been one for live fast and die young
How old are you...out of interest? ;)

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If Nuno doesn't get the Everton job, then it's pretty clear his next job will either be at a 'Mendes club' (e.g. Monaco, Porto, Lazio etc. would be my guesses) or taking over from Fernando Santos as Portugal manager when he steps down. My guess is Nuno wants to bring in his entire backroom team and do things very much his own way which seems to have been the stumbling block at Palace and possibly at Everton too. I imagine he likely wants to have a considerable say on transfers too and not work under a Director of Football and owners not symbiotically linked into the Mendes sphere of influence. Uncle Jorge no doubt wants that too.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saw your post on the other thread…..I can’t see it official anywhere although latest reports seem to suggest that he got it.
Must be honest, I feel sorry for Nuno.
Does no one think Nuno's pricing himself out of jobs? When one comes up that he wants he'll be more reasonable with his demands.

I'd do a job I didn't want if I was renumerated so much it cushioned the blow.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given the options available to Everton I think Benitez is as good as they could have got. If he gets results, or even a trophy, Everton fans will soon forgive him for any comments he's made in the past.

It's going to be interesting next season as there is some strong competition in the Premier League. There's arguably a dozen teams who will be aiming to get a European place via the league.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Given the options available to Everton I think Benitez is as good as they could have got. If he gets results, or even a trophy, Everton fans will soon forgive him for any comments he's made in the past.

It's going to be interesting next season as there is some strong competition in the Premier League. There's arguably a dozen teams who will be aiming to get a European place via the league.
Everton couldn't even do anything under Ancelotti so can't see any better results or a trophy under Benitez, who has been in China the last two years. More mediocrity awaits for them which is good for us.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A reinvigorated Nuno who can create the 'one pack' mentality that Everton fans crave and thrive off would've been a much better option, presuming he'd have them playing like he had us in his first few years here, before the stale season we've just had.

Happy with this news.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

All the more reason to go the Cup route then

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

We are paying his £6/7M salary for a year + all of his staff. He might just be thinking unless I get exactly what I want (including transfer control, staff control) then I'll wait it out. Clubs more likely to give that if they are struggling and panic sack a manager.

GavW

Groupie
Reaction score
We are paying his £6/7M salary for a year + all of his staff. He might just be thinking unless I get exactly what I want (including transfer control, staff control) then I'll wait it out. Clubs more likely to give that if they are struggling and panic sack a manager.
I can understand that from a money point of view but I'm not sure it would fit his style and tactics.

His biggest benefit here was having that first pre season where he had all of his squad (apart from Bonatini I think who came on the eve of the season)

That full 6 week pre season, he drilled them with the new tactics, I even read somewhere that he played the Shrewsbury friendly after a 3 hour morning training session to get them used to playing tired in preparation for the Saturday-Tuesday schedule of the championship.

Everything was planned, for me he wouldn't fit in to a club in October/ November and then having a game the following weekend.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I can understand that from a money point of view but I'm not sure it would fit his style and tactics.

His biggest benefit here was having that first pre season where he had all of his squad (apart from Bonatini I think who came on the eve of the season)

That full 6 week pre season, he drilled them with the new tactics, I even read somewhere that he played the Shrewsbury friendly after a 3 hour morning training session to get them used to playing tired in preparation for the Saturday-Tuesday schedule of the championship.

Everything was planned, for me he wouldn't fit in to a club in October/ November and then having a game the following weekend.
Yeah but if it is grind 40 points with better plays at a big club having a wobble then that's not a big ask

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Nuno stays out of work for the duration of the transfer window then he doesn’t steal any of our players.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think Nuno spoke to Palace and Everton (obviously), but as has been said... he probably didn't really want either. I think he wants to be closer to home. He's talking for a group of people if you count his backroom staff and collectively, they might just not fancy England anymore.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I cant see Nuno getting another job in UK for a while , more likely a Europa League team in Europe

GavW

Groupie
Reaction score
Yeah but if it is grind 40 points with better plays at a big club having a wobble then that's not a big ask
That's a fair point.

Could see someone like Villa maybe too, Smith's obviously doing a good job at the moment. But if their start didn't justify the spending they do this summer.

They've dabbled with Mendes before too.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Eddie Howe not getting the Celtic job, something which looked nailed on at one stage, I am surprised that he has not been in the frame for vacancies at Crystal Palace and Everton. He may not be universally liked on here, but I think Howe did a fantastic job at Bournemouth.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

With Eddie Howe not getting the Celtic job, something which looked nailed on at one stage, I am surprised that he has not been in the frame for vacancies at Crystal Palace and Everton. He may not be universally liked on here, but I think Howe did a fantastic job at Bournemouth.
Yeah reckon he could end up at Palace but I've heard they are looking at Lucien Favre. That would be a hell of a coup

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I do think Nuno spoke to Palace and Everton (obviously), but as has been said... he probably didn't really want either. I think he wants to be closer to home. He's talking for a group of people if you count his backroom staff and collectively, they might just not fancy England anymore.
Thats a big assumption. The fact he has spoken to 2 of the 4 jobs available at the time in the premier league, the others being us and spurs at the time suggests he is very keen to stop in the premier league. For whatever reason, and we just dont know what they are, he didnt get the jobs but to have applied and got through to interviews on 2 of them strongly suggests wanting to not get a job in the premier league isnt one of the reasons.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont think Nuno would waste Palace and Everton’s time if he didn’t want the job.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I've been surprised Nuno was able to talk to premier league clubs so soon. Given that he would have knowledge of our scouting targets and budgets, I would have expected his settlement agreement with us to include some form of gardening leave or clause about not going to EPL competition for X time.

Back
Top Bottom