Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Are we staying up or going down?

Staying up?

• Staying up

Votes: 120 32.2%
  • Going down

Votes: 253 67.8%

• Total voters

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This has been coming like a car crash in slow motion ever since the Sevilla game.
This is it. This particular season has been coming, it hasn’t come quickly but it was always heading in this direction when you think back.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is no chance we stay up. We have a team full of spineless players who couldn’t give a ****. They will all be off to pastures new, so they don’t care.

On top of that we have no leadership from above, an interim manager until the new year who has a horrendous record. A captain doing interviews saying he wants to go to Barcelona. We are an absolute mess on and off the pitch. We are done.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Until the manager farce I thought we'd be fine, but the mismanagement going on right now defies belief. It's almost like Fosun want to make huge losses. I'd be firing Shi this week then restructuring completely. In the end he's overseen 2.5 years of shambolic decisions and they've come home to roost.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was nice while it lasted, but it's over now. That was it. As a non-Sky 6 club, that's all you can expect these days. A couple of seasons at the top end, one or two seasons in Europe in Europe, then back into obscurity. It's not just us, there's a long list of clubs who've done the same this past 30 - 40 years. And an even longer list who never even managed what we achieved. It's football and we aren't bigger than the game. (though those at the top who run it, possibly are)

Might be back in another 20 or 30 years.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Lopetegui does join in Jan, then I think we will stay up. My worry though is how far adrift we could potentially be at that point.

D

Deleted member (smith)

It will cost significant money to get a new manager and refresh the squad….and of course mistakes have been made at the top.

My fear is fosun have lost interest or decided not to invest, but with existing management and squad relegation is a probability.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was nice while it lasted, but it's over now. That was it. As a non-Sky 6 club, that's all you can expect these days. A couple of seasons at the top end, one or two seasons in Europe in Europe, then back into obscurity. It's not just us, there's a long list of clubs who've done the same this past 30 - 40 years. And an even longer list who never even managed what we achieved. It's football and we aren't bigger than the game. (though those at the top who run it, possibly are)

Might be back in another 20 or 30 years.
The alternative to being at the top end of the league doesn't have to be haplessly crashing out of the division after 5 seasons and vanishing into the wilderness though.

Palace, Brighton and Southampton have been going along fine for 6 or 7 years now without any disasters, Leicester won the whole league and an FA Cup to boot without being one of the big boys and West Ham have made Europe twice.

Our foundations have been have built on sand though, unlike those others. We have next to no football competence at decision-making level. It's all been based on Mendes bringing us a string of excellent players in 2017-18 and his best mate agreeing to come in as head coach.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can I ask what makes you think this? Genuinely interested in your answer, mate.

I just think it is that tight and a couple of wins puts a different perspective on things. On another day we would have got something today. It reminded me a lot of when Southampton won 6 - 0 at Molineux. They scored every time they shot, whereas we had chance after chance. Obviously we need to be taking these chances and hopefully that issue will be addressed soon.

Reactions: Ned

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just think it is that tight and a couple if wins puts a different perspective on things. On another day we would have got something today. It reminded me a lot of when Southampton won 6 - 0 at Molineux. They scored every time they shot, whereas we had chance after chance. Obviously we need to be takings these chances and hopefully that issue will be addressed soon.
Fair enough, you are right that a couple of wins really changes the outlook. I just can’t see where the wins come from at the moment.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Fair enough. Love the optimism. Personally I think there is too much to do sadly, and I don’t mean points wise.
It all hinges on the new manager... that’s why I’m not panicking that they have said they will wait til the mid season break to sort it out. It’s such a crucial decision and the one with the most jeopardy in our recent history. Rather they take their time than rush some one in.

There doesn’t yet seem to be an obvious gap developing in points between the relegation positions and mid table. We just have to keep it manageable until the World Cup and hope our knight in shining armour turns up.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I appreciate your optimism but I would say those of us anticipating relegation are more realist than pessimist. What evidence do you have that we will be alright? We can’t score goals, we let in avoidable goals through incompetence, laziness or bad luck, we have no fight and we don’t have a manager. That is a perfect recipe for relegation. There’s no such thing as too good to go down. Maybe I am missing something but I just can’t see how we get out of this.
Sorry, what was I thinking, blind optimism, I'd like to apologise for wasting your time even discussing this. We look absolutely like a team on its way down, absolutely no bottle

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry, what was I thinking, blind optimism, I'd like to apologise for wasting your time eveb discussing this.
I haven’t changed my mind, and no need to apologise, but today’s result could actually do us a favour. It may force Guo to act and we may get back to a semblance of actually being run as a football club. Unlike with McCarthy we still have a transfer window, we have a World Cup break to get players fit and we need to get a manager in early this week. Without one of these actions we are down. Obviously sacking Shi and Sellars or moving Shi into a role at Fosun Sports where he doesn’t need to be involved in Wolves (I’m sure there’s a fashion show to organise) would be necessary.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We knowingly threw away points at the start of the season by not having a forward and are now knowingly throwing away more points by not having a permanent manager.

I don’t know how long the board think the season is but we’ve played over a quarter of it now, shape up or ship out.

Milijas

Reaction score
Really can't see us staying up we are the worst team in the division. Can't score and the solid defence has broken.

Leicester have just scored 80% of our total goals for the season against us and they ain't great. I can see us getting a couple of hidings against the top teams this season (like 6-0).

Not sure I would mind relegation to be honest.

Enjoyed Kenny Jacketts reign more than Bruno's, be nice to play Blues, Albion and hopefully not get battered every week.

Bring on the Champ!

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
I haven’t changed my mind, and no need to apologise, but today’s result could actually do us a favour. It may force Guo to act and we may get back to a semblance of actually being run as a football club. Unlike with McCarthy we still have a transfer window, we have a World Cup break to get players fit and we need to get a manager in early this week. Without one of these actions we are down. Obviously sacking Shi and Sellars or moving Shi into a role at Fosun Sports where he doesn’t need to be involved in Wolves (I’m sure there’s a fashion show to organise) would be necessary.
The World Cup break and a chance for a reset is one of the few straws I'm clinging to.

We can pick the bones out of the selection and formation, Jonny put in one of the worst performances I've seen from a Wolves player in the Prem today, but the confidence is paper thin. We came out like a train and folded like a paper aeroplane as soon as they scored. Of course 1-0 down is game over this season.

Lack of effort, lack of commitment, a couple of players trying hard, but not good enough. Neves and Bueno could leave the pitch with their heads high, think that's about it.

Nige

Reaction score
We are already down.. Those that cant see it are deluded. These players are very pretty football players Play nice football ball to feet etc.
None of them apart from Neves have any ounce of aggression passion of stomach for a fight

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The squad don’t have the minerals for a dog fight. With no firm direction from a leader this is simply amplified with only one outcome.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The World Cup break and a chance for a reset is one of the few straws I'm clinging to.

We can pick the bones out of the selection and formation, Jonny put in one of the worst performances I've seen from a Wolves player in the Prem today, but the confidence is paper thin. We came out like a train and folded like a paper aeroplane as soon as they scored. Of course 1-0 down is game over this season.

Lack of effort, lack of commitment, a couple of players trying hard, but not good enough. Neves and Bueno could leave the pitch with their heads high, think that's about it.
Jonny has been bloody terrible for months now. I accept he returned from a long term injury but it seems there’s a problem with his effort or lack of. He jogs back when he should be sprinting. He looks like he’s lost his heart for the club and no longer wants to be here. Sad state of affairs as he was such a 100% player.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

World Cup break won’t make a difference.

Longford Wolf

Reaction score
Can’t see where the next goal is coming from, let alone the next point….,,,…. Going. down.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we're well and truly down. But lets look at how it could be the opposite. What we need to do.

Newcastle last season feels like an obvious example. Yes, they spent in January but nothing astronomical on one specific player. They got the right type of character in and developed that around the bit of talent they did already have, Saint Maximin, Wilson etc. Right now there's very, very little in the squad we have worth bothering with, but because of the break, they only have 6-7 games before January?

Players should be targeted in terms of who we're going to bring in almost instantly. No faffing around waiting for deal cycles or any other crap like that. It's finally time to show a bit of forward planning and initiative.

But of course most importantly, Newcastle got the manager appointment right and in the longer term a DOF.

It can be done, but where I suspect most fans huge and understandable doubts are is who's going to be making these massively important decisions. That's why we'll go down. It's salvageable in the right hands. We don't have that though.

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This has been obvious since January , and I did post it.
This is how I stated it would go.

No natural goalscorers , mean the defence and midfield heads go down , as they do their job but see no results.
After lots of close defeats , by the odd goal come the disheartened bigger defeats. And it will now get worse with a few more 3 or more goal defeats.
No more one goal defeats or low score draws.
Today Leicester knew they had goalscorers (4 goals from 5 shots.) We has no goals from 21 shots.
How does that make Neves, Nunes and Moutinho feel along with Semedo and Jonny.
WHY BOTHER ?

Last edited:

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leicester have just scored more at the Mol than we have all season. 5 goals in 12 games is nailed on for relegation form.
Really don't see how anyone can say we are staying up .

The players are crap and we have no leaders . Put our eggs in one basket here with Mendes . This project made us and will ruin us imo

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
7-4 relegation odds seem mighty generous to me (not that I have any interest in placing that bet). Two-thirds of those polled think we’re going down and I’d certainly give it a more than 50% probability myself. Right now, it’s a struggle seeing us get much more than 30 points.

If I could pick any player in the EPL to help us out right now (excluding Haaland) it would be Coady. What an error letting him go both on and off the pitch and burning up our insurance policy. Now is the time we should be reverting to 5-2-3 and looking to grind out 1-0 wins but we’ve literally sold all our options for doing that (Coady, Saiss, Dendoncker, Boly).

I like Max but the fact he’s vice-captain says a lot about the state of leadership in the squad and if that’s not a canary in the coal mine I don’t know what is

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
40 points or a bit less for survival and at the moment we’ll struggle to get to 14! Really can’t see where next point let alone win is coming from. It’s definitely not pessimistic thinking we will go down, everything points to it.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
40 points or a bit less for survival and at the moment we’ll struggle to get to 14! Really can’t see where next point let alone win is coming from. It’s definitely not pessimistic thinking we will go down, everything points to it.

Yep.

Not scoring goals being the biggest factor. I can't get my head around those stats. 5 goals in 11 games. It's beyond dismal.

It's almost impossible for this issue not to catch up with you. I remember Atletico conceding something like 25 goals one season and finishing 20 points off the title. Eventually it kills you. However good you are defensively, and we don't even have that now.

100% down. Particularly with who we have in charge of things that could change/help us.

SuziQ

Reaction score
Had thought we'd be lower mid-table this season but there's nearly a third of the season gone and we have just 9 points to show for it. If that isn't relegation form then I'm Spartacus!

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We just need a manager this week.

If we go into two winnable games with a League Two manager we will lose. We will obviously lose to Arsenal if that's the case as well.

If we're on 9 points after 15 games then it goes without saying that you're in massive, massive trouble and likely to go down. I said in the past that waiting until the World Cup was the right thing to do but it's not. We can't afford to be 9 points from 15 games.

So I really think it's on this period.

The side aren't that bad, they really aren't.

Today's performance was nowhere near as bad as people think. The lack of character and no heart is an easy excuse. I understand people saying it because it's heat of the moment but we didn't crumble. We were better than Leicester in the first half on the whole and we had a real go until the third. Eventually at 0-3 we lost our way but that happens.

A side with no bottle, character etc. doesn't continue to play as we did. They get battered, but it was 21-5 on shots. This is the easy excuse but it's not telling the realistic story.

It's tough to single out individuals when the collective was poor but Jonny was disgraceful and the second goal was key.

Similarly, Moutinho does nothing. He's one of the worst, if not the worst, when it comes to off the ball involvement. You can't carry passengers at this level.

If Semedo and Traore play I genuinely think it's a different result.

Just please get a manager in this week. We don't need an 'outstanding candidate' we need better than Steve Davis and there's hundreds out there who fit that criteria.

This team just needs a competent manager and it's got a chance to survive. Wait another three games and then we could need to show top 10/European form to survive and that's a huge ask.

We're still in with a chance now. Act swiftly Jeff.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Jonny has been bloody terrible for months now. I accept he returned from a long term injury but it seems there’s a problem with his effort or lack of. He jogs back when he should be sprinting. He looks like he’s lost his heart for the club and no longer wants to be here. Sad state of affairs as he was such a 100% player.
I honestly couldn't work it out today. He either doesn't have an actually sprint now, or can't be bothered to chase back. How he came back out for the second half, I have no idea.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just think it is that tight and a couple of wins puts a different perspective on things. On another day we would have got something today. It reminded me a lot of when Southampton won 6 - 0 at Molineux. They scored every time they shot, whereas we had chance after chance. Obviously we need to be taking these chances and hopefully that issue will be addressed soon.
I am still with you Frank, but wavering.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We just need a manager this week.

If we go into two winnable games with a League Two manager we will lose. We will obviously lose to Arsenal if that's the case as well.

If we're on 9 points after 15 games then it goes without saying that you're in massive, massive trouble and likely to go down. I said in the past that waiting until the World Cup was the right thing to do but it's not. We can't afford to be 9 points from 15 games.

So I really think it's on this period.

The side aren't that bad, they really aren't.

Today's performance was nowhere near as bad as people think. The lack of character and no heart is an easy excuse. I understand people saying it because it's heat of the moment but we didn't crumble. We were better than Leicester in the first half on the whole and we had a real go until the third. Eventually at 0-3 we lost our way but that happens.

A side with no bottle, character etc. doesn't continue to play as we did. They get battered, but it was 21-5 on shots. This is the easy excuse but it's not telling the realistic story.

It's tough to single out individuals when the collective was poor but Jonny was disgraceful and the second goal was key.

Similarly, Moutinho does nothing. He's one of the worst, if not the worst, when it comes to off the ball involvement. You can't carry passengers at this level.

If Semedo and Traore play I genuinely think it's a different result.

Just please get a manager in this week. We don't need an 'outstanding candidate' we need better than Steve Davis and there's hundreds out there who fit that criteria.

This team just needs a competent manager and it's got a chance to survive. Wait another three games and then we could need to show top 10/European form to survive and that's a huge ask.

We're still in with a chance now. Act swiftly Jeff.
I agree with much of this. We are not as bad as some make out, but sadly the aim of the game is to score goals and we are **** at that.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had thought we'd be lower mid-table this season but there's nearly a third of the season gone and we have just 9 points to show for it. If that isn't relegation form then I'm Spartacus

I'm Spartacus!

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
The list of teams I think we can realistically finish above is getting increasingly smaller.

Forest
Leeds
Villa
Southampton
Bournemouth
Brentford

Don’t think we’ll make up 9 points on Fulham.

Very little margin for error. Lose next week to Brentford and that’s another team to possibly cross off the list.

Back
Top Bottom