Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Anybody suffered more than us?

ShifnalWolf

Graphmaster General
Reaction score
Yes of course other clubs have suffered more than us...

We have won a trophy (89), playoff final (03), championship (09) and league one record breakers (13)

That's not that bad at all

D

Deleted member 5242

I'd have to say Coventry. Joy Seppala, an awful council leader in Ann Lucas, playing their home games in Northampton and a huge fall from grace is a stark warning to all.

D

Deleted member 3518

Yes of course other clubs have suffered more than us...

We have won a trophy (89), playoff final (03), championship (09) and league one record breakers (13)

That's not that bad at all

Tend to agree.

Yes we have plumbed the depths but each time we have bounced bad reasonably quickly. 3 successive relegations under the Bhattis and near oblivion but then Steve Bull and the journey back. Tedium in the second division failing to get promotion, hardly "suffering" and more recently double relegation followed by immediate promotion.

D

Deleted at request of member 4337

It's a roller coaster supporting wolves definitely that's why we should milk the good times but we do bounce back well
Imo clubs like Blackpool Coventry Portsmouth have suffered more and just Imagine supporting a club that never were good and never will be like Walsall for example

D

Deleted member 4382

We haven’t had it that bad...
I apprecite the drop to the fourth division wasn’t great, but ask any Wolves fan aged 40-50 what his best time as a Wolves fan was, and I bet most say 87/88 and 88/89. Great days.

The recent drop to league one seemed awful, but the season after was fantastic.

Lets be proud and happy for what we have-
A great club with a great history and a great future.

I feel for the clubs who have nothing to play for year after year such as Oldham.

D

Deleted member 3573J

Fans discussing which clubs has suffered more reminds me of the "we were poor" monty python sketch. "You were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in a corridor! 'Ohh we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip.'

The football fan equivalent would be something like:
Wolves fan: 'you just don't know how tough we've had it, from the top division to nearly out the football league in a blink of an eye'.
Walsall fan: 'top division you say? That's living the dream and at least your stadium can be easily found, when I first turned up at the Bescot it took us a hour to find it as it was hidden behind JJB sports.'
Willenhall Town fan: At least you have a stadium, we have one stand and a shed with the front smashed out and have to make do with a horse**** sandwich at half time.
Dog & Duck fan: a stand? You watch your team in luxury, we have to make do with playing on the farmers field after he's ploughed it watching the game from a mound of cow manure.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves supporters have had to suffer at least as much as any others in the land post 1980. The Bhatti brothers era, the fall to the FOURTH division, season after season of drab football, useless players and thick managers and, barring the well meaning Sir Jack, unambitious and uninspiring owners. Steve Bull was the one ray of light. Without him it would have been beyond bleak. Even on the two occasions we got up to the Premiership we never looked as if we would stay there and the club failed miserably. Against the bright background of the amazing 50's and the very good 70's it all has seemed an incredible fall from Grace and perhaps that's why it has hurt more than at most other clubs. This is the first time since the 70s when it feels really good to be a Wolves fan again and actually look forward to matches rather than dread another pathetic display. For once the owners have the resources needed and the intelligence to see what is needed. And as for Nuno - 24 carat Gold.

Agree goldeneyed, even our 4 seasons in the PL have been, apart from the odd freak result, a knuckle biting ride. 4 seasons, relegated in 2 of them, stayed up at the last minute in one of them and one 15th (I think) place finish. If we manage to go up this time I believe and hope things will be different.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its all about perspective, ambition and disappointment IMO.

If you're born a Rochdale fan, then you grow up with certain expectations/ambitions.
If you're born a Wolves fan you grow up with different ones.

So it's degrees of under achievement and disappointment that are best measured.

Also, there's the levels of rivalry. No one is going to ridicule a Rochdale fan. No one is going to want them not to be OK (apart from maybe their bitterest rivals?....Bury or Oldham!).

So I would pose the question, have Wolves had more disappointments and under achievements than others? Have their rivals had relative success in comparison to them and imparted a degree of ridicule?

Wolves have been through the mill a fair amount in those respects. So have others (Cov City is one that springs to mind).

Wolves are a size of club with high expectations and history. But because of our recent history (since the 80s) we are what I would call "pure".
By that I mean:-
Our supporters follow us for a reason other than glory hunting- Birthplace, Father's Support and so on.
We're big enough for our supporters not to have a second team (as a Rochdale fan or Walsall fan may also follow say Liverpool or United etc).
We do not have a glory hunting, tourist support.

This of course could change if we start to be very successful. Because after all of the disappointments and ridicule that us pure fans have endured, there will be a fair few Johnny come lately's who jump on board. Or maybe we will become Rochdale supporters second team!

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A mate of mine is a Torquay fan, struggled for years to stay in the league, fell out of the league, got back in then out again and not look like they're going down again, as well as the inevitable money problems many small clubs have, not sure they've suffered more than us, but at least with us theres alsways been hop that with the right ownership there was potential for things to get better, for other clubs theres not much of an upside.

Derby Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another candidate could be Stockport. Division One to National League North in what 8/9 years.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Certainly Wolves have had the most polarised of fortunes. We have had the largest discrepancy between our high and low. We were the best team in England in the 50's and pioneers of European football. We were trail blazers. Not even 30 years later we were in the basement and faced going out of business. I don't think anyone else has had such a massive fall from grace.

D

Deleted member 3518

Certainly Wolves have had the most polarised of fortunes. We have had the largest discrepancy between our high and low. We were the best team in England in the 50's and pioneers of European football. We were trail blazers. Not even 30 years later we were in the basement and faced going out of business. I don't think anyone else has had such a massive fall from grace.

Possibly Leeds from Premier, Champions League, UEFA Cup semi-finalists to 3 years in the third division in 6 years and years of mismanagement.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Possibly Leeds from Premier, Champions League, UEFA Cup semi-finalists to 3 years in the third division in 6 years and years of mismanagement.
They're definitely up there but I think we have won more trophies than them and we sunk to much greater depths than them also.
I think only Sheffield United have a comparable fall to us but again they have won fewer trophies and to the best of my knowledge never nearly went to the wall.

G

German Wolf

Your last comment is certainly true. Historically, statistically Wolves are in the top 10/12 clubs in England and I'm not sure any have fallen into the 4th tier and certainly none have suffered back to back relegations. We have had few recent highs but our lows have been lower than any of the 'big' clubs. While Newcastle fans have had little ever to cheer about certainly their roller coaster existence bears no comparison to ours.

With you NNW!
We have most certainly been and seen the pits that others have not. Agree that Newcastle have suffer misery in their own eyes but boy have they had some near misses.
PS My daughter is at UEA and enjoying Norwich. I didn't really know that part of the world having just gone to a few of our matches. Very nice part of the world, especially the city. What do they call it? 'A splendid city' or something like that?

T

TornadoTed

My other team, Hereford have had a pretty bad time of it. Relegated twice for financial problems before ultimatly going bankrupt. Playing in a stadium with 1 condemned stand. The Phoenix club is doing well, despite having to start again in the 9th tier.

Wolves have had it as bad as anyone since 1981

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i,ll go for Blackburn , premier champs with one of the best strike forces in Shearer and Sutton taking the title of the mighty manu .
compared to languishing in league one owned by a couple of chicken farmers selling off their assets to pay the bills.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Suffered isn't the word for me. Angered is more like it. How can anyone suffer when we have one of the most distinguished clubs in the country to support?

What I think is needed - when comparing how the club has fared against others - is context.

First the important fact that we are one of the clubs who pioneered the Football League. Without the enthusiasm and foresight shown by the Brodie's and Baynton's and the Rev Hunt (there are others of course) there would be no English football. A select few in Industrial Victorian England.

Comparing how others have fared needs a few questions asking. How many of the original twelve have fared? How some now huge clubs who came 'late' have fared? Is it about winning trophies? Is it about continuous performing in the top league? I suggest it ought to be on trophies won, and the context of other games and their significance.

Up until 1906 we won the FA Cup once (1893) and finished runners up twice (1889 1896). Best placings in the league were two third placings in the very first league 1889 and 1898. We were relegated in 1906 and remained second division -with a brief one season visit to the third division North in 1923/4 which also included financial trouble resulting in the 'new' Wolverhampton Wanderers (1923) being formed- until 1932. During this spell we won the FA Cup in 1908 and runners up in 1921.

I suggest that while not exactly winning 'big' and ending up bankrupt and out of the top flight for 26years there was enough to make the name resonate, (particularly in Cup competitions), and, along with the founder member status, put us 'on the map' so to speak. The club was there from the very first day. Not many can boast that.

Its the next bit which I suggest is the 'modern' context. it's also the bit where the anger bit comes in for me.

From 1932 the very able Buckley made his promoted Wolves in to a force in the 'modern' game. In the years 1937/8/9 saw a 5th placing and two Runner Up placings in the First Division, with an FA Cup Runner up placing in 1939. 'All' Buckley and Wolves won was the Second Division title in 1932. It was what he built from the twenties until the outbreak of war and the people he put in place which is what set him apart from many who came after though. The main one being Stan Cullis as captain.Everyone knows what happened next. Two FA Cups 1949 and 1960, three First Division titles (the last two back to back) and Runners up in 1950/3/5 and 1960. All alongside the European pioneering games and winning every league the club entered in one season.

In the above period, 1947 to 1960 Man United won the title four times, Liverpool once, Arsenal twice, Portsmouth twice, Tottenham once, Chelsea once and Burnley once. So only Man Utd won more titles in that period as one comparison. It was also the Honved game at Molineux, in spite of United's part played, which lit the paper for the European Cup. They went on to win it of course. We sacked the greatest manager we had in shabby fashion.

Even so we still managed, over the next twenty years, to get to a European Final and win two 'major' trophies in the League Cup, while playing in the top division, (mainly).

Once the well meaning (and needed) rebuilding of Molineux and the playing side fell apart in 1982, and the disaster that followed in 1986, the big question is How the **** was that all allowed to happen? For fifty years from the mid thirties the club had seen virtually everything that the game could offer, won much, contributed even more to the development of the game, only to find itself on the brink of going non league.

It has always been my opinion that many, perhaps any,other club would have done just that in 1986. Gone non league, Molineux sold off for some god forsaken residential or commercial development and Aldersley becoming 'home' on a rent-a-game basis. But this was Wolverhampton Wanderers. Surely 'someone' could do 'something' which of course, 'someone' did. This is where the anger started. While Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, and even Chelsea had gone on to win titles again. Out of those seven other sides from the fifties, when we were arguably at least on a par with all the five mentioned and probably 'greater' than all except, perhaps United, it was us who were a pathetic, broken, lamentable laughing stock. We had, just a decade earlier, knocked Juventus out of a European competition and competed in one of the best club games at Wembley in 1974 IMO. Winning another trophy. Just a few years previously, in 1980/1 we had a sixth finish in Division One and once more won a trophy against the European Cup Holders and been in European competition. Meanwhile Villa had been the first West Midlands side to win the European Cup.

The nineties took the sting out of the anger a bit. The romantic SJH did much to get a dignified place back in the English game. Graham Turner is rightly remembered for his role in that form 1986, and Bull. And Dick Homden and Jack Harris and the public servants at the Civic Centre.

But it was becoming late. The monster born in 1992 meant we were not fully up to speed still. An ageing SJH recruited a 'money man' (the polite term) and handed it over to somene who talked the talk but wobbled when walking. The anger was back. Even so soon after his fleeing in some quarters he is being applauded for 'finding' Fosun, (Just a tad distasteful.)the hopefully real *******s to at least pay a fortune for something resembling a top flight Wolves again, something we can all watch and say that those in the old colours are worth watching, even in the shallow hollow that football has become.

I'm too old now for anger though. Its more contempt these days but it was still great to watch at Man City.

Last edited:

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Luton.
In the Prem and then went non-league and now just back in the league again.
Wolves luckily didn't drop that far. However we did suffer the Bhattis.

Luton were never actually in the Prem. They, just like Notts County, were in the old first division the season before it started up and signed up for the Prem, but were relegated and have never played in it. One of those dull bits of trivia that I like to bore people with. But yes, top flight football to non-league - could have been us all those years back (although it was near impossible to drop out of the league back then).

D

Deleted member 3518

Suffered isn't the word for me. Angered is more like it. How can anyone suffer when we have one of the most distinguished clubs in the country to support?

What I think is needed - when comparing how the club has fared against others - is context.

First the important fact that we are one of the clubs who pioneered the Football League. Without the enthusiasm and foresight shown by the Brodie's and Baynton's and the Rev Hunt (there are others of course) there would be no English football. A select few in Industrial Victorian England.

Comparing how others have fared needs a few questions asking. How many of the original twelve have fared? How some now huge clubs who came 'late' have fared? Is it about winning trophies? Is it about continuous performing in the top league? I suggest it ought to be on trophies won, and the context of other games and their significance.

Up until 1906 we won the FA Cup once (1893) and finished runners up twice (1889 1896). Best placings in the league were two third placings in the very first league 1889 and 1898. We were relegated in 1906 and remained second division -with a brief one season visit to the third division North in 1923/4 which also included financial trouble resulting in the 'new' Wolverhampton Wanderers (1923) being formed- until 1932. During this spell we won the FA Cup in 1908 and runners up in 1921.

I suggest that while not exactly winning 'big' and ending up bankrupt and out of the top flight for 26years there was enough to make the name resonate, (particularly in Cup competitions), and, along with the founder member status, put us 'on the map' so to speak. The club was there from the very first day. Not many can boast that.

Its the next bit which I suggest is the 'modern' context. it's also the bit where the anger bit comes in for me.

From 1932 the very able Buckley made his promoted Wolves in to a force in the 'modern' game. In the years 1937/8/9 saw a 5th placing and two Runner Up placings in the First Division, with an FA Cup Runner up placing in 1939. 'All' Buckley and Wolves won was the Second Division title in 1932. It was what he built from the twenties until the outbreak of war and the people he put in place which is what set him apart from many who came after though. The main one being Stan Cullis as captain.Everyone knows what happened next. Two FA Cups 1949 and 1960, three First Division titles (the last two back to back) and Runners up in 1950/3/5 and 1960. All alongside the European pioneering games and winning every league the club entered in one season.

In the above period, 1947 to 1960 Man United won the title four times, Liverpool once, Arsenal twice, Portsmouth twice, Tottenham once, Chelsea once and Burnley once. So only Man Utd won more titles in that period as one comparison. It was also the Honved game at Molineux, in spite of United's part played, which lit the paper for the European Cup. They went on to win it of course. We sacked the greatest manager we had in shabby fashion.

Even so we still managed, over the next twenty years, to get to a European Final and win two 'major' trophies in the League Cup, while playing in the top division, (mainly).

Once the well meaning (and needed) rebuilding of Molineux and the playing side fell apart in 1982, and the disaster that followed in 1986, the big question is How the **** was that all allowed to happen? For fifty years from the mid thirties the club had seen virtually everything that the game could offer, won much, contributed even more to the development of the game, only to find itself on the brink of going non league.

It has always been my opinion that many, perhaps any,other club would have done just that in 1986. Gone non league, Molineux sold off for some god forsaken residential or commercial development and Aldersley becoming 'home' on a rent-a-game basis. But this was Wolverhampton Wanderers. Surely 'someone' could do 'something' which of course, 'someone' did. This is where the anger started. While Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, and even Chelsea had gone on to win titles again. Out of those seven other sides from the fifties, when we were arguably at least on a par with all the five mentioned and probably 'greater' than all except, perhaps United, it was us who were a pathetic, broken, lamentable laughing stock. We had, just a decade earlier, knocked Juventus out of a European competition and competed in one of the best club games at Wembley in 1974 IMO. Winning another trophy. Just a few years previously, in 1980/1 we had a sixth finish in Division One and once more won a trophy against the European Cup Holders and been in European competition. Meanwhile Villa had been the first West Midlands side to win the European Cup.

The nineties took the sting out of the anger a bit. The romantic SJH did much to get a dignified place back in the English game. Graham Turner is rightly remembered for his role in that form 1986, and Bull. And Dick Homden and Jack Harris and the public servants at the Civic Centre.

But it was becoming late. The monster born in 1992 meant we were not fully up to speed still. An ageing SJH recruited a 'money man' (the polite term) and handed it over to somene who talked the talk but wobbled when walking. The anger was back. Even so soon after his fleeing in some quarters he is being applauded for 'finding' Fosun, (Just a tad distasteful.)the hopefully real *******s to at least pay a fortune for something resembling a top flight Wolves again, something we can all watch and say that those in the old colours are worth watching, even in the shallow hollow that football has become.

I'm too old now for anger though. Its more contempt these days but it was stiil great to watch at Man City.

Excellent as always BNW.

B

Benson

West Ham can be a candidate.. they are competing season after season but are never really close to win anything and have now lost their stadium.
Last time they won something was in 1981 (except the Intertoto Cup in 2000). 36 boring years in a row - that is in my opinion a lot worse than our rollercoaster rides which in between some failure years have had lots of great moments (and 5 titles).

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With you NNW!
We have most certainly been and seen the pits that others have not. Agree that Newcastle have suffer misery in their own eyes but boy have they had some near misses.
PS My daughter is at UEA and enjoying Norwich. I didn't really know that part of the world having just gone to a few of our matches. Very nice part of the world, especially the city. What do they call it? 'A splendid city' or something like that?
Sorry to move off topic but I haven't lived in Norfolk for 11 years; I've had 3 moves since then and hopefully on the move again in the new year!!! Kept my NNW name as not sure how to change it! And yes Norfolk is a lovely part of the country but backward, perhaps that's part of its charm.

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I'm too old now for anger though. Its more contempt these days but it was still great to watch at Man City.
Excellent post and someone who knows their history. You highlight perfectly why Wolverhampton Wanderers will never be a run of the mill club, which unfortunately seems lost on a number of our own fans. 1983 onwards is not a true reflection of our status within the game.

G

German Wolf

Sorry to move off topic but I haven't lived in Norfolk for 11 years; I've had 3 moves since then and hopefully on the move again in the new year!!! Kept my NNW name as not sure how to change it! And yes Norfolk is a lovely part of the country but backward, perhaps that's part of its charm.

LOL. Same here with my name which needs updating as so many others based in that country now! How do we do it MODS?

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Thank you for such a wonderful response BNW. Your perspective on such matters is highly regarded by myself and many others. Thank you once again.
Thank you also to everyone else who has put in their twopennyworth. Thanks for the reminders about our ability to bounce back and our overall status within the game.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thank you for such a wonderful response BNW. Your perspective on such matters is highly regarded by myself and many others. Thank you once again.
Thank you also to everyone else who has put in their twopennyworth. Thanks for the reminders about our ability to bounce back and our overall status within the game.
Just my tuppence worth and appreciate (and am little surprised by) your kind remarks. It's a labour of love.

Get me on Wolves or music and can (and often do) go on for ever.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The years before the play off final were incredibly frustrating but without them the ‘high’ of that day out at Cardiff would not have been reached. We’ve had some pretty tough times since as well with very limited success.

However, despite that, a Wolves match day has always been special and always will be. Pre and post match pints with family and friends, a visit to the magical Molineux and a football match to boot. What’s not to like? We are very lucky.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any club that is on a downward spiral and exists without hope has got to be the worst.

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
success and suffering is all relative anyhow. I have met miserable, unhappy fans who support the likes of manure and I have met awesome upbeat fans who follow Leyton Orient even though they have been through the wringer

Life is all about perspective. Make the best of what you have

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel very sorry for Cov fans over last few years

Except that for years they lived the life of Reilly in the top flight

Karma maybe. Can't wait till it reached Bournemouth, Watford etc

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My other team, Hereford have had a pretty bad time of it. Relegated twice for financial problems before ultimatly going bankrupt. Playing in a stadium with 1 condemned stand. The Phoenix club is doing well, despite having to start again in the 9th tier.

Wolves have had it as bad as anyone since 1981
Hereford were the club I was going to mention. I went there in the mid '70s to see Wolves, so they were then in the old Second Division. Wolves won 6-1 that day, but despite that Hereford were a club enjoying the best period in their history. I was feeling a bit sad for what happened to them when they pretty much went out of business. But they are back now and last weekend knocked my local team Telford (another one that went to the wall) out of the FA Cup. You never know, it could be Wolves-Hereford in the Third Round :D

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good to see Huddersfield back in the big time after what must be 70 years in the wilderness.

Preston another candidate too

Thought they would of been brought up, seemingly not. But Rushden & Diamonds have been through a helluva tough time, from League One to deceased in SEVEN years. Mad when you think about it. AFC Rushden & DIamonds seem to be on the way back up now, which is good to see.

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More than us? Don't know.
Similar to us? Off the top of my head ...
* Brighton (top division to lower echelons, Cup finalists, lost the stadium, etc).
* Portsmouth
* Luton
* Blackpool
* Wimbledon (the AFC variety)
* Coventry
* Tranmere

Oxford United have had a fair journey across the divisions from Top Tier [86] to Non League [06] and last season 8th in League 1

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I found the early Sir Jack years and subsequent stagnation year-after-year in the second tier much more tedious frustrating and unsatisfying than the extremes in 83-89 and 12-15.

2001 / 02 of course has to go down as the worst season ever whichever way you look at it. Gives the word "suffering" a new dimension !

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’re still here and still at our natural 30 year level. We’ve had ups and downs. Far worse out there than us

D

Deleted at request of member 4337

I found the early Sir Jack years and subsequent stagnation year-after-year in the second tier much more tedious frustrating and unsatisfying than the extremes in 83-89 and 12-15.

2001 / 02 of course has to go down as the worst season ever whichever way you look at it. Gives the word "suffering" a new dimension !
I tend to agree
2001/2002 was worse followed by the elation of the play off final only to be crushed again by the season in the top flight and subsequent relegation.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought they would of been brought up, seemingly not. But Rushden & Diamonds have been through a helluva tough time, from League One to deceased in SEVEN years. Mad when you think about it. AFC Rushden & DIamonds seem to be on the way back up now, which is good to see.
As someone who lived in Rushden and worked with a ST holder of Rushden I can say that they don't really deserve much sympathy. Made up team, ego driven owner, not really connected to the community. AFC R&D are more closely linked with the local people than the original team were (IMO, of course).

Back
Top Bottom