Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Anybody suffered more than us?

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The plight of the long-suffering Sunderland fans caused me to wonder which set of fans have suffered the most, and indeed if we have suffered above all others. I guess that my definition of suffering involves former success and subsequent decline. Thus, Birmingham doesn't count because they have never "been anything". Leeds don't count IMO as their travails are merely proof that God exists.
I nominate us - double relegations, appointment of "managers" such as Saunders and Clipboard, (not to mention Moxey) etc.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think over a 30 year period no club in the land has suffered the highs and lows as much as us. Slipping to division 4, playing in front of a half derelict stadium, rising back to championship but years of almost going up, going up and then not investing, going back down, years in the wilderness, Mick takes us up, 3 average years, a Norwegian out of his depth, a welshman totally out of his depth, slipping into L1 and then the Nuno revolution.

Its one hell off a rollercoaster ride supporting our lot.

S

Shifnal Wolf

I don’t think we’ve had it as bad as many clubs and in particular those mentioned above, far from as bad actually.

What I do think though, we’ve had it tough at times for decades and we still turn out in decent numbers, which many other clubs would be on their back side in terms of fan support.

As wolves fans we get stick for being a fickle bunch, but we back that up with turning out in numbers in good and bad times which IMO makes us the club we are with the quality fans we have.

Not sure if this ramble makes sense, I know what I mean - Sorry

sportwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Coventry for me, they have only finished in the top ten of the division they were in twice (both times 8th) since 1989. We've at least had promotion seasons to enjoy

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Of the traditional big teams, no one comes close. Leeds are probably the closest but even they were competing in Europe and at the top of the Premier League in the late 90’s. Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest are the next 2 well on their way to becoming the new Us. Thankfully Fosun got the defibrillator out and we are starting to get up again.

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More than us? Don't know.
Similar to us? Off the top of my head ...
* Brighton (top division to lower echelons, Cup finalists, lost the stadium, etc).
* Portsmouth
* Luton
* Blackpool
* Wimbledon (the AFC variety)
* Coventry
* Tranmere

Coventry and Portsmouth are very good nominations. I remember when games between us and Cov. were really big and hotly contested affairs.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Just when it looked like Sheffield United were going to be stuck forever in League One, after much bad luck in the play-offs, they got out under Chris Wilder.

They are going great guns so far this season, and home gates have been similar to Wolves, as their fans have rallied round an upturn in their fortunes.

But Blades fans have stuck with them over many lean years, including a terrible time in the late 70s and early 80s when they dropped into the old 4th Division.

Like Wolves from 1980, a surprise really, as during the early to mid 70s they had an excellent First Division side which included the great Tony Currie.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only other team I can think of off-hand who suffered a triple relegation in three seasons like we did in 84,85,86 is Northampton in the mid 60s, who also went from 1st to 4th Division by the fastest route. But we also suffered a double relegation more recently on top of that. Is that some kind of record?

E

Essex Wolf

Being a Wolves supporter the bad times hit home and hurts more than when it effects another club but accept their support will feel bad when it happens to them. But trying to be objective I can't think of another club in England that has suffered as much as Wolves in my time. Relegated to the very bottom professional league and almost going out of business for a once great and massive club is about as bad as it gets.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have had it pretty bad at times. Cant think of many clubs that have fallen so far, almost went bust twice, clawed our way back up and fell back down again. Our 80's slump was pretty soul destroying.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With all the bad years now hopefully past for a while at least it is perfectly understandable why Wolves fans are getting excited and beginning to believe again. We've suffered a lot of bad times, let us get right behind the lads and cheer them on to glory. Let's simply enjoy the long awaited ride, we deserve it.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The plight of the long-suffering Sunderland fans caused me to wonder which set of fans have suffered the most, and indeed if we have suffered above all others. I guess that my definition of suffering involves former success and subsequent decline. Thus, Birmingham doesn't count because they have never "been anything". Leeds don't count IMO as their travails are merely proof that God exists.
I nominate us - double relegations, appointment of "managers" such as Saunders and Clipboard, (not to mention Moxey) etc.
Portsmouth? Orient?

C

ChesterWolf

There's been bad times but without them you don't get the good. We're on for our 4th promotion season in fairly recent times with a couple of exciting premier league season. Can't really complain.

GeoffPalmersLeftBoot

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Luton.
In the Prem and then went non-league and now just back in the league again.
Wolves luckily didn't drop that far. However we did suffer the Bhattis.

D

Deleted member 3518

How about Wrexham, from the top league to non-league and bankruptcy?

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score

Wrexham's highest position was the old League Two, equivalent to the Championship now, but they've certainly had a very rocky road.

R

reanswolf

Leeds, Forest, Derby, Sheff Wed and United, Cov, Bristol City, Pompey.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
It would interesting to observe how Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd fans would react to a fall from grace.

A real crash landing.. a good two or three decades down in League One and Two.. and on the brink of going out of business..

Will give Man City fans their due, supporting their side well in thinner times down in the old Third.

D

Deleted member 3518

Wrexham's highest position was the old League Two, equivalent to the Championship now, but they've certainly had a very rocky road.

Cheers Mutchy, had a senior moment and was getting them mixed up with Swansea.:(

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because we won something 30 years before i was born doesn't mean i suffer more. I've quite enjoyed our journey, including league 1. Suffering is like when Sheff United or Leeds were stuck watching crap football in league 1 for years although theyre massive clubs, with no one caring.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd argue that fans of the likes of Exeter, Hartlepool, Lincoln and their type are far more suffering than Wolves'.

Yes we've had our lows, but aside from 83-86 it's always been tinged with a reason to hope the good times are just around the corner. The aforementioned clubs will be lower league clubs into eternity. There's no dreaming there, just stark realism that this is your fate.

Last edited:

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking forward to West Brom fans suffering 2,000 gates in League Two. I can seriously see them going through what we did in the mid 80s.

C

ChesterWolf

10 years in non league now and three times play off losers. Though they have had 3 trips to Wembley and a Cardiff final win in recent times.

Chester had it as bad as anyone for 20 years. Lost their ground, exiled to Macclesfield, two administrations, dropping out the league and eventually going out of business. 3 titles in a row as a fan owned phoenix club arguably means they've had it better than anyone also.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves supporters have had to suffer at least as much as any others in the land post 1980. The Bhatti brothers era, the fall to the FOURTH division, season after season of drab football, useless players and thick managers and, barring the well meaning Sir Jack, unambitious and uninspiring owners. Steve Bull was the one ray of light. Without him it would have been beyond bleak. Even on the two occasions we got up to the Premiership we never looked as if we would stay there and the club failed miserably. Against the bright background of the amazing 50's and the very good 70's it all has seemed an incredible fall from Grace and perhaps that's why it has hurt more than at most other clubs. This is the first time since the 70s when it feels really good to be a Wolves fan again and actually look forward to matches rather than dread another pathetic display. For once the owners have the resources needed and the intelligence to see what is needed. And as for Nuno - 24 carat Gold.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes we have our club but were a hair's breadth away from final implosion during the Bhatti debacle. And Wimbledon have come back and done well.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we've discussed this before on here. Due to the agonies of being a Wolves fan for 50 years this is a subject quite close to my heart! Most of the clubs mentioned above are 'small time' compared to Wolves and I'm not being patronising or disparaging but it's the truth. The only club that I think is similar(ish) to us in regards to fan base, history, ground etc and have suffered as badly/worse are Newcastle. I think we have far more in common in the suffering stakes with Toon fans than any other club tbh. Massive club,fanatical support but have pretty much done **** all. For pain and frustration I think we run them pretty close?

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd argue that fans of the likes of Exeter, Hartlepool, Lincoln and their type are far more suffering than Wolves'.

Yes we've had our lows, but aside from 83-86 it's always been tinged with a reason to hope the good times are just around the corner. The aforementioned clubs will be lower league clubs into eternity. There's no dreaming there, just stark realism that this is your fate.
Fair play, supporting a club when you know that you are probably never going to go anywhere deserves real respect.

Wiltshire Wolfie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Coventry stand out as a prime candidate club for suffering fans but do not forget Stockport County....Tony Dinning, anyone..??

D

Deleted member 4124

Leyton Orient were one penalty away from promotion to the Championship three years ago. Now they're in non-league.

Spending one year in League One, where we won the title on record points, is no where near as bad. Wolves fans are some of the most entitled bunch in England.

Me Babbies

Reaction score
I think whats now AFC Wimbledon, loose their home ground, have their league place stolen away to MK & then the few who still went to MK saw their colours changed. Have to re-set up your own club to get any feeling of belonging....
However hard time were for us there was always home for us at the Molineux, whatever condition the ground was in or the state of the football we could always come.

G

German Wolf

I think we've discussed this before on here. Due to the agonies of being a Wolves fan for 50 years this is a subject quite close to my heart! Most of the clubs mentioned above are 'small time' compared to Wolves and I'm not being patronising or disparaging but it's the truth. The only club that I think is similar(ish) to us in regards to fan base, history, ground etc and have suffered as badly/worse are Newcastle. I think we have far more in common in the suffering stakes with Toon fans than any other club tbh. Massive club,fanatical support but have pretty much done **** all. For pain and frustration I think we run them pretty close?

Totally agreed except they have never plumbed the depths ie Div 3 and 4 that we have with our ridiculous sets of consecutive relegations to go with the Bhatti era and our phase of having a mostly closed stadium.
Our fall from grace simply bears no comparison with any of the established bigger clubs. Smaller clubs? I'll agree with those that have been suggested, especially Coventry, Wimbledon, Portsmouth and Tranmere.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agreed except they have never plumbed the depths ie Div 3 and 4 that we have with our ridiculous sets of consecutive relegations to go with the Bhatti era and our phase of having a mostly closed stadium.
Our fall from grace simply bears no comparison with any of the established bigger clubs.
Your last comment is certainly true. Historically, statistically Wolves are in the top 10/12 clubs in England and I'm not sure any have fallen into the 4th tier and certainly none have suffered back to back relegations. We have had few recent highs but our lows have been lower than any of the 'big' clubs. While Newcastle fans have had little ever to cheer about certainly their roller coaster existence bears no comparison to ours.

D

Deleted member 3518

Can't have been good being a Blackpool fan over the last few years.

Back
Top Bottom