Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Any of the top six likely to implode?

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
OK a lot of fans are not happy with the style of football we are seeing this season and are also in significant numbers unhappy with the manager. Some time ago I expressed the opinion that despite the problems at the club we would finish closer to the top than the bottom and might even be challenging for or indeed be in a playoff place at the end of the season. Trouble is that as I look at the table now, the top 6 are at a minimum 4 points better off than the team in 7th place, in other words a cushion is in place and to be honest I don't see any manager likely to oversee an implosion on the scale that happened in Derby last season. Burnley and Ipswich may still be vulnerable to be caught by a team coming from behind - I suspect most likely Brentford - but both clubs are managed by managers who are extremely capable at this level and have previously led clubs to promotion. Do you foresee any of the top six imploding?

E

Essex Wolf

Looking at the table WIL I agree with you that Burnley and Ipswich look the only two who might be caught. Of course none of us know what will be or may happen and any team within 10-12 points putting a decent run together could find themselves just outside the PO zone with 10 games or more left.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We won't finish higher than 12 so don't worry, we need to keep building a la Derby or Boro, neither of them have come from nowhere it's gradual improvements

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me Boro, Derby Hull and Burnley will finish top 6 with the quality they have nt just their first 11 but they all have strong squads.
That leaves 2 spots, Brighton have struggled lately since picking up injuries, Ipswich would struggle if they lost key players, like anyone else in the league. Things can happen in January but even so i think it would take a very strong run for a team outside the top 6 to break in

M

merseawolf

Brighton after we whoooop them 4-0 tomorrow. In all seriousness if we finish top10 that will be a good effort from the lads. With KJ at the helm i just cant see us having the balls to go for it. We need to attack every team we face now to get anywhere near 70 points.
KJ will stick with his strategy of defence first and guide us to a mid table finish.
I think the top6 will all stay there.
Boro and Derby to go up auto.
Ipswich to win play offs.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From what I've seen of them all, none of them look exceptional sides.

I think Brighton will slip away and probably not even make the play offs, Hull don't look particularly good either they've lost to some poor sides away from home and Ipswich won't keep up their form of recent weeks.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brighton will fall away big style for me, even if they beat us tomorrow. I can see Sheffield Wednesday sneaking in

M

merseawolf

Ipswich have Fraser back from injury and fresh for the rest of the season and shortly will have Teddy Bishop back who is a cracking central midfielder. I hear they are after a wide player to get Sears more central. Not overly convinced but something makes me think MM fancies their chances. He's built a decent squad there over the last couple of years.
We missed a trick not getting Sears to Wolves from Colchester. He would be a perfect No.10 for us and would of been in our price range.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Hull have struggled recently but have enough talent in the squad to last the course. Think the final two play-off places will be between Brighton, Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday.

Can't see us making up 9 points on Ipswich but hopefully we can see some progression in the second half of the season along with a resolution to the Ownership situation ready for a better challenge next season.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry Mersea much as I like Mick McCarthy, I don't see him as a manager who excels in what one might consider a knock out competition. Tring a matter of perspective I know and you do tend to be the wise old head around here but I have a lot of time for the new Brentford manager and think that may well be where a trick has been played on us, though of course you will have those who post on here who would be aghast at the thought that we should have head hunted at Walsall for a manager.
On Brighton Chris Houghton is a shrewd manager and even if he has Brighton boxing above there weight currently he is at the perfect stage in the season to bring in re-enforcements.

M

merseawolf

WiL
I just think this might be Ipswich's year for some strange reason. I have a lot of mates from work who watch and follow them and they are so much more confident this season.
They are not playing great stuff by any means but have managed to win 5 on the bounce away and with Fraser back they think their home form will improve.
I know MM's record in play offs is poor but it could be said he's due a win.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Middlesborough, Derby, Hull, Burnley, Ipswich I see all making the top 6.

Brighton, Sheff Wed, Brentford I'd say are the contenders for the final spot with Wolves, Birmingham & QPR being unlikely candidates who would require a high points to game ratio in the second half of the season to stand a chance.

A high points to game ratio in the second half of the season is however something of a speciality for Jackett after doing it in the previous two seasons in charge of us. He'd require a very good and shrewd January transfer window for me to consider it a possibility this season though.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mersea, I would be delighted for Mick if he does it, provided of course we don't manage to get ourselves into the mix somehow.

Tring Wolf

Reaction score
WiL
I just think this might be Ipswich's year for some strange reason. I have a lot of mates from work who watch and follow them and they are so much more confident this season.
They are not playing great stuff by any means but have managed to win 5 on the bounce away and with Fraser back they think their home form will improve.
I know MM's record in play offs is poor but it could be said he's due a win.

The big difference for MM this year is the increased firepower and quality in wide positions versus last season. If, for example, Murphy got injured, you'd still fancy McGoldrick, Sears and Pitman to weigh in with enough goals to keep them involved. I'm not sure you could say the same for us if Afobe was out for any length of time.

Agree with Dean Smith WiL. I think he could prove to be a shrewd appointment by Brentford. I think they'll finish a few points behind the play-offs given the resources at Sheffield Wednesday and the proven Championship ability of McCarthy and Hughton (who I rate as the best Manager in the division).

Tring Wolf

Reaction score
Mersea, I would be delighted for Mick if he does it, provided of course we don't manage to get ourselves into the mix somehow.

As long as it didn't impact on us, I'd be happy to see Ipswich and especially Burnley (with their large ex-Wolves presence) go up. I've always had a soft spot for both clubs (Ipswich for Bobby Robson and Burnley for being a proper, traditional club and the respectful way in which they treat their supporters).

M

merseawolf

Yeah spot on Tring they have plenty of firepower upfront although i know they have been somewhat dissapointed with Maitland Niles out wide and Sears is wasted by having a lot of defensive work to do.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Boro, Derby or Hull to contest the top two, with one of those three, Brighton, Burnley, Leeds, Wednesday, Ipswich, and maybe the mighty Wolves (I can dream) scrapping for the rest.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a question of which club outside the top six can put a really good run together - perhaps five wins in a row. Its hard to see any of the current clubs just above us doing that. Sheff W. may make a late run but Brentford, Birmingham, Cardiff etc just aren't good enough imv. QPR may lose some of their better players in January but definitely have a strong squad. We may improve slightly and top 10 has to be the aim now. But equally it wouldn't surprise me if we slip to around 15th if we sell Afobe and replace him with a dud or two.

M

merseawolf

Leeds? Really? What makes you think they will get anywhere near top6?

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ipswich have Fraser back from injury and fresh for the rest of the season and shortly will have Teddy Bishop back who is a cracking central midfielder. I hear they are after a wide player to get Sears more central. Not overly convinced but something makes me think MM fancies their chances. He's built a decent squad there over the last couple of years.
We missed a trick not getting Sears to Wolves from Colchester. He would be a perfect No.10 for us and would of been in our price range.
I completely agree with this and said we had missed an opportunity at the time.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
well i have said before on another thread.it will be a disaster for wolves to get promoted this year.We have just not kicked on from last year.We are not good enough.i'd say lets try and get a good run going,build momentum for next season with a new owner on board and lets enjoy some cracking Derby's/midland Derbys with the likes of Villa,Blouse.forest.coventry.tin pots,and Burton.

Wolvesfcneil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
well i have said before on another thread.it will be a disaster for wolves to get promoted this year.We have just not kicked on from last year.We are not good enough.i'd say lets try and get a good run going,build momentum for next season with a new owner on board and lets enjoy some cracking Derby's/midland Derbys with the likes of Villa,Blouse.forest.coventry.tin pots,and Burton.

sorry mate but promotion is never a disaster all this we are not ready stuff is rubbish every promoted club has to buy when they get up

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like in our promotion season we need at least a 7 game winning run and the fixtures after BHA through Jan to the end of Feb are all winnable (playing none of the big guns until Derby on Feb 27). I know I'm being a fantasist but I need to keep my hopes alive and I don't want to write the season off in Dec! Like last season I think 6th place is the best we could do with a strong wind behind us?!

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Hi 1972, with the greatest respect I'm sick to death of hearing the likes of what you are saying, get promotion then deal with it then, really really don't want to play Walsall next season, please don't think I'm arrogant or anything but we shouldn't be in the same league as Walsall or Burton
Wishing you a happy new year

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
sorry mate but promotion is never a disaster all this we are not ready stuff is rubbish every promoted club has to buy when they get up

If we'd have pushed on from last season i would be saying at least we have a chance.if we are promoted this term it will be a disaster,we would get hammered every week,and i would rather us stay where we are for the moment,get new owners on board like i stated,and have a real go next season,i personally would love to see us in the prem as soon as poss.but do you think morgan is going to back us to get all these better experienced players we would need,Not a chance in hell.New multi-billionaire owner and i might agree with you.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like in our promotion season we need at least a 7 game winning run and the fixtures after BHA through Jan to the end of Feb are all winnable (playing none of the big guns until Derby on Feb 27). I know I'm being a fantasist but I need to keep my hopes alive and I don't want to write the season off in Dec! Like last season I think 6th place is the best we could do with a strong wind behind us?!

-Well you wouldn't put a lot of money on us finishing top 6, but then again how many games have been predictable in the championship this year? Boro at home but it's been pretty random.
-Jackett's seems to build momentum/ team spirit/ work out his best team in the 2nd half of the season.
-We've found place for Byrne and Graham, both look quality all round players. Plus Coady looks like he might actually provide something to bulk up our CM options.
-We've got no real long term injuries, and can hope Williamson can provide prem experience where it is really needed.

All positives, but at least we've got a half decent 2nd half of the season.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

100% spot on, nothing wrong with what you have said there Norfolk

Wolvesfcneil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we'd have pushed on from last season i would be saying at least we have a chance.if we are promoted this term it will be a disaster,we would get hammered every week,and i would rather us stay where we are for the moment,get new owners on board like i stated,and have a real go next season,i personally would love to see us in the prem as soon as poss.but do you think morgan is going to back us to get all these better experienced players we would need,Not a chance in hell.New multi-billionaire owner and i might agree with you.

who is to say we wont get hammered in the championship no one knows what would happen

D

Dewsburywolf

Where were we at this stage last season? How much ground did we make up to finish joint sixth? Football these days is never a foregone conclusion as you only need to look at Derby last season to acknowledge

Tring Wolf

Reaction score
Where were we at this stage last season? How much ground did we make up to finish joint sixth? Football these days is never a foregone conclusion as you only need to look at Derby last season to acknowledge

After Boxing Day last year, we were in 9th but just 4 points off Watford in 6th. Interestingly, we were 10 points behind Ipswich who were second.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure people were saying we wouldn't implode in our choke season but we did. It can and does happen quiet a bit, just like there is always a team that makes a late charge.

Me personally, I just want to use the old cliche and take one game at a time. As long as we show some decent progression between now and the end of the season I'll be reasonably happy. Who knows what will happen if we hit a bit of form.

R

Rauss

Burnley will

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After BHA we have 8 games v none of the top teams till Derby at the end of Feb. These 8/9 games will define/shape our season. Perhaps being optimistic/stupid but 5/6 wins before Derby at home and we could be very near the pos?

M

Mr Wolf

How come nobody has picked QPR, loads of people on here wanted the completely over rated up & coming JFH?

It's not so much the points is the number of teams between us also, you would need 4 teams to bottle it whilst we win plenty going unbeaten. I think we will have a strong January (already looking decent with almost 2 deals done) but just fall short.

Back
Top Bottom