Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Albion (obsessed)

• Thread starter Deleted member 4594
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4184

The most nervous I have been for a game since the FA Cup Semi....

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Actually makes me quite sad that we have the Baggies next week and we can’t be there. I’d usually be absolutely buzzing for this, thinking about it all week, but I’m just a bit “meh” about it to be honest. Would still love to stuff them though, of course.

jeb01

Reaction score
Probably the best ever goal celebration of my supporting lifetime. It meant so much to us. Absolute bedlam.
I was in the Brummie Road end (got a returned ticket at the ticket office about 5 mins before kickoff).
I can still remember so clearly Mark Kendall’s penalty save down our end and the visiting fans going mental in the Smethwick end when Bully scored.
From the (barely) repressed delight of a small group around me I thought I was in a small oasis of Wolves fans behind enemy lines, not that I was about to say “are you Wolves?”

Last edited:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As Macman says it was just a block, only a couple of hundred I think.

I was on the terrace the following season (Hindmarch day) and I don’t remember us having seats for that one though.
The hindmarch game was my first away day as a 10 year old. Sat in the rainbow stand in a sort of mixed area. Old boy next to me must have been nearly 80 and he chucked me up in the air when we scored.

R

reanswolf

Actually makes me quite sad that we have the Baggies next week and we can’t be there. I’d usually be absolutely buzzing for this, thinking about it all week, but I’m just a bit “meh” about it to be honest. Would still love to stuff them though, of course.
I'm exactly the same, just doesn't have the same feel to it when you can't go.
Of course will be nervous on the day, but it will be tight, if we lose I think I will get over it quickly which is an unusual feeling.

R

reanswolf

Both Bully winner in 87 and the Hindmarch goal were bedlam. 7000 of us when Bully scored and 12000 when they gave us the entire Smethwick.

Going to Albion used to be a stroll in the park, always felt like a home game almost (but I know that is me being biased - I am sure Albion fans would disagree), whilst they barely ever made a murmur at Molineux, except one season when they won 3-0 late 70s and brought about 6000 which was a lot for them in the 70s and 80s. Them days you could take as many as you liked. We used to take about 20 lads from Whitmore Reans, not thugs but really handy lads if it came to it. It felt like every estate did the same.

But then, all-seaters changed everything in the BC Derby. The last time we had terracing was when they beat us 3-2, good atmosphere from them to be fair, well it would be wouldn't it when you beat your rivals like that. We took about 8000 on a then-open Smethwick end, and down the side stands there was a gap as their lads wouldn't come and sit in the empty seats towards the away end. You can see it on the highlights. But then came all-seaters the following season, and Wolves were given 2500 only and all went to ST holders. The annual get-together of lads from every Wolverhampton council estate (and from places like Gornal, Sedgley, Tipton, Wednesbury, Kiddy, Cannock, Rugeley, Stourbridge, Newport etc ) ended and so did the make-up of our fans going to the Albion. Suddenly they got brave, hanging off fences in the corners offering ordinary ST fans out, always struck me that. So inadvertantly all-seating stadium actually changed the face of the BC derby and they have been brave ever since.

But it did take all-seaters to limit our support and the type of fan who went with us to Albion, whilst it changed very little for them at Molineux as they only brought about 3000 anyway. One night game around 1978 I remember Bob Hazell put us ahead, they equalised in the 93rd minute and there must have only been around 1000 Albion in the corner of the South Bank, thats all. Barely heard a murmur. It's weird how its changed.

Mind you the dark Moxey years did a lot of damage to us, lost us a lot of support locally. I hope our current superiority swings things back again. Still expect them to beat us, it is gonna be tough.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 7862Bler

No, pretty sure it was just the terrace that day. What a terrace it was though when full of Wolves fans. Football away ends today don’t come close.
When Bully scored the last minute winner, we definitely had terrace and seats. I was stood on terrace and my dad was in the seats.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When Bully scored the last minute winner, we definitely had terrace and seats. I was stood on terrace and my dad was in the seats.
Think sedgwolf was referring to Hindmarch Day the following season.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeh I’m on about the season after when Hindmarch scored.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both Bully winner in 87 and the Hindmarch goal were bedlam. 7000 of us when Bully scored and 12000 when they gave us the entire Smethwick.

Going to Albion used to be a stroll in the park, always felt like a home game almost (but I know that is me being biased - I am sure Albion fans would disagree), whilst they barely ever made a murmur at Molineux, except one season when they won 3-0 late 70s and brought about 6000 which was a lot for them in the 70s and 80s. Them days you could take as many as you liked.

All-seaters changed everything in the BC Derby. The last time we had terracing was when they beat us 3-2, good atmosphere from them to be fair, well it would be wouldnt it when you beat your rivals like that. We took about 8000 and down the side stands there was a gap as their lads wouldn't come and sit in the empty seats towards the away end. You can see it on the highlights. But then came all-seaters the following season, and Wolves were given 2500 only and all went to ST holders. Suddenly they got brave, hanging off fences in the corners offering ordinary ST fans out, always struck me that. So inadvertantly all-seating stadium actually changed the face of the BC derby and they have been brave ever since.

But it did take all-seaters to limit our support and the type of fan who went with us to Albion, whilst it changed very little for them at Molineux as they only brought about 3000 anyway. One night game around 1978 I remember Bob Hazell put us ahead, they equalised in the 93rd minute and there must have been around 1000 Albion in the corner of the South Bank, thats all. Barely heard a murmur. It's weird how its changed.

Mind you the dark Moxey years did a lot of damage to us, lost us a lot of support locally. I hope our current superiority swings things back again. Stillexpect them to beat us, it is gonna be tough.
Remember the hughes penalty game (****ing Darren Peacock) they were going mental, you’re dead outside etc. Not seen as many Wolves lads in a ST away crowd, think a few dodgy printed tickets too, suffice to say Wolves were again like the home team. The animosity is truly as much as any derby in the country

D

Deleted member 4152

ref the Hindmarch game. We parked on that big roundabout, coppers told us to. There were dozens of cars parked there. When we came back every one had a parking ticket on it. ******s

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
ref the Hindmarch game. We parked on that big roundabout, coppers told us to. There were dozens of cars parked there. When we came back every one had a parking ticket on it. ******s
Off topic, but a group of us at work hired a brand new minibus to go to Bristol City. Arrived just before kick off, saw a Sargent and asked him where to park?

He said down this street will be OK, no problem.

We returned and half the windows had been put through, the lad who had hired it took it back the following day, the bloke at the company just laughed and said you've lost ya deposit

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They find it amusing on their forum that so many on here are worried about us losing the game. They seem to think we are mentally scarred by them. They are expecting a right thumping from us. Do we realise just how awful they a really are?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can’t wait for this game. I think we will win comfortably. Can’t see what people are worrying about.
Not being rude mate but do you mind me asking how long you have been a Wolves fan?

Administering a major thrashing to those ****s might go a long way towards healing some past mental scars for those of us of a certain vintage....

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They find it amusing on their forum that so many on here are worried about us losing the game. They seem to think we are mentally scarred by them. They are expecting a right thumping from us. Do we realise just how awful they a really are?
They're just getting excuses in early, in case we do thump them.

Deep down, they'll think they can win. They have drawn with Liverpool & City recently, so they know they can get results on their day.

We've also shown we can lose to anyone, and they’ll have at least one, but probably two or three new signings in the team.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They're just getting excuses in early, in case we do thump them.

Deep down, they'll think they can win. They have drawn with Liverpool & City recently, so they know they can get results on their day.

We've also shown we can lose to anyone, and they’ll have at least one, but probably two or three new signings in the team.
Let the ****ers hope.... It will make the thrashing all the harder for them to take (and all the sweeter for us)..... It's the hope that gets you....

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember the hughes penalty game (****ing Darren Peacock) they were going mental, you’re dead outside etc. Not seen as many Wolves lads in a ST away crowd, think a few dodgy printed tickets too, suffice to say Wolves were again like the home team. The animosity is truly as much as any derby in the country
I remember being at that one, it was a night game wasn’t it?

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They might be right! :tearsofjoy:

It would be peak-Wolves to lose to this lot but they're so bad at the moment...

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All-seaters changed everything in the BC Derby. The last time we had terracing was when they beat us 3-2, good atmosphere from them to be fair, well it would be wouldnt it when you beat your rivals like that. We took about 8000 and down the side stands there was a gap as their lads wouldn't come and sit in the empty seats towards the away end. You can see it on the highlights. But then came all-seaters the following season, and Wolves were given 2500 only and all went to ST holders. Suddenly they got brave, hanging off fences in the corners offering ordinary ST fans out, always struck me that. So inadvertantly all-seating stadium actually changed the face of the BC derby and they have been brave ever since.
I'm sure it did but there were a few games after it went all seater that did have a more boisterous away followings. They only gave us half the end that first time post all seater (the Jamie Smith sending off one) although I think it was a bit more than half around 3,000 as that was before they'd installed the permanent segregation in there, but then after that we had the whole end (5,000) every time up until they'd been in the prem for the first time when they installed the segregation barriers and started selling season tickets in the smethwick end.

A few of those 5000 followings were pretty boisterous and had a lot of lads in if I remember correctly. That Thursday night one early 2000's etc. Like you say the ones that weren't snapped up by STH's only, and despite what people might want to believe that was sometimes the case when we got the 5000.

I remember one (the one we had the 'banned' song about Lee Hughes) I had a season ticket but comfortably waited till the day they hit general sale to get one with mates who didn't. Went up[ the ticket office around 11am the week before (day of a home game) and got one simple no queuing etc, did end up selling out come kick off time of that days game but it was easy enough for anyone who wanted one to get one.

Agree since they came back down though with it being the 2600-2800 that we get its rarely a 'moody' away crowd.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You notice that with Small Heath away, the difference in the crowd if we get 4000 or 2000 or so.
Never used to have a ST but went to the Hawthorns 3 times for BC derbies. Rainbow stand used to be half empty.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You notice that with Small Heath away, the difference in the crowd if we get 4000 or 2000 or so.
Never used to have a ST but went to the Hawthorns 3 times for BC derbies. Rainbow stand used to be half empty.
Thats true, they always seemed rowdy in that Rainbow Stand though despite the fact when I looked at my ticket it said Family Stand.

Remember them running on the pitch from there that night Jamie Smith got sent off and a couple seasons after some ****er dancing on the tiling between the upper and lower tiers when they scored.

Argh I hope we smash them stripey, 6 fingered, sister ****ging, ugly looking, murderer loving *******s!!

R

reanswolf

I think we are mentally scarred by losing to them regularly over 20 years.
On the pitch, they just seemed light years ahead at times.
Giving them the South Bank was possibly the worst decision made by any football club in worldwide history, if you stop and think about it. Even Albion fans I have talked to, actually sympathise to some degree about that, in a sort of bemused sense. It always seemed WMP were on their side, so to speak when it came to such things.
Saturday will be a very tough match, however **** they think they are. Actually, they aren't a bad side, just lack confidence and a good striker. They are big and tall and physical, but can play football too. I reckon its 50-50 who wins.

Blast tyrant

Reaction score
Not being rude mate but do you mind me asking how long you have been a Wolves fan?

Administering a major thrashing to those ****s might go a long way towards healing some past mental scars for those of us of a certain vintage....
I’ve been going to Molineux since 1978.
I don’t think we will give them a major thrashing, but I think we will win the game by a goal or two.
When I say win comfortably I mean I think we will be the better team and have control of the game.
We’ve had plenty of games under Nuno where we have won 1-0 or 2-0 and been comfortable, and I think this will be the same.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My best mate is a Tesco fan who has gone home and away for nearly 30 years, he still maintains the loudest goal celebration he has ever heard was when Jay Bothroyd scored against them. He was right by the southbank in the Lower Steve Bull and said he looked across and just saw loads of people tumbling down the gangway.

I remember that game for different reasons. My Aunty who I was very close to dropped down dead the day before with a massive brain bleed, id been to lunch with her not 24 hours earlier. I was touch and go about going as understandably my head wasnt in the best place and the sheer emotion of that goal going in meant I to ended up about 3 rows further forward than my season ticket seat.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The bully goal (89) in front of us to win the game was one of the best ever memories it was an amazing day
I was stood in our end with a broken leg in plaster
I had a hernia and was operated on a few days later as it could have been life threatening. But was there in that end too when Bully scored, and still my best away day (although Braga for the experience overall)

Lets hope we stuff em

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I remember going to the Hawthorns to see John Richards’ debut in 1970.We went on the ubiquitous Soccer Special and whilst being too young to drink I saw at first hand how drunk some of the Wolves were.
A couple of them were going up and down our carriage removing the light bulbs and threw them through the windows .They then cranked it up a notch when one of them bit the top off one of the bulbs and started to chew it with the inevitable blood coming out of his mouth whilst the other held a bulb in each of his hands and squeezed smashing them both.Again blood went everywhere and he said he felt unwell and collapsed but before doing so he pulled the communication cord just before the Hawthorns Halt .We ended up walking along the track to get to the ground .Heaven knows what happened to the pair of them but they were in a right state .

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My best mate is a Tesco fan who has gone home and away for nearly 30 years, he still maintains the loudest goal celebration he has ever heard was when Jay Bothroyd scored against them. He was right by the southbank in the Lower Steve Bull and said he looked across and just saw loads of people tumbling down the gangway.

I remember that game for different reasons. My Aunty who I was very close to dropped down dead the day before with a massive brain bleed, id been to lunch with her not 24 hours earlier. I was touch and go about going as understandably my head wasnt in the best place and the sheer emotion of that goal going in meant I to ended up about 3 rows further forward than my season ticket seat.
I hate to say this but i think the best goal celebration by a team against us was when Darren Bradley hit that thunder bolt. The ground seemed to move, ****ers lol.

That’s the passion of this game, the highs are so high, after the Stephen Fletcher double game I was on cloud 9 for a week. Conversely the 1-5, well I stayed to the bitter end just thinking it’ll never ever be worse than this

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have watched most of their matches recently and I think they are very vulnerable down their flanks. Just where we are strong with Adama and Neto. Snodgrass will help them in thd Middle and their two centre half's will eat up most high balls (and be a threat at set peices.)

Scoring goals will be the difference for both sides. I think we will score, but get caught out with some scrapy defensive mistake.

This is not going to be easy, I expect a 1-1 to be honest, but if Adama is on form and we keep the ball on the ground we might get the win.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hate to say this but i think the best goal celebration by a team against us was when Darren Bradley hit that thunder bolt. The ground seemed to move, ****ers lol.

That’s the passion of this game, the highs are so high, after the Stephen Fletcher double game I was on cloud 9 for a week. Conversely the 1-5, well I stayed to the bitter end just thinking it’ll never ever be worse than this
Thats why football is a great game (and why its rubbish behind closed doors). Its all about fine margins. The 1-5 game, Fletcher had that chance at 2-1 and if it goes in its game on, instead they went straight up the other end and scored and then we fell apart, then the season did. Still think Mick would have kept us up and we could have lost to anyone else by that scoreline and he wouldnt have been given the boot.

Even if we smashed them 5 on Saturday (we wont, but we will win) its not the same is it? My local is 90% tesco fans, I wouldnt be able to go in afterwards and give them some stick or go to work and do the same

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have watched most of their matches recently and I think they are very vulnerable down their flanks. Just where we are strong with Adama and Neto. Snodgrass will help them in thd Middle and their two centre half's will eat up most high balls (and be a threat at set peices.)

Scoring goals will be the difference for both sides. I think we will score, but get caught out with some scrapy defensive mistake.

This is not going to be easy, I expect a 1-1 to be honest, but if Adama is on form and we keep the ball on the ground we might get the win.
Majorly concerned by set pieces which we tend to give away too easily. They were strong from them before, Sam will make them even better.

Anyone know if Boly maybe back? Him and Saiss will be well worked from free kicks corners abd I won’t be surprised if they’re finding out whose their best long throw in taker

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched them against Palace, Villa and Leeds and I really don't know why so many on here are panicking so much. They are truly woeful. As soon as they conceded they fell apart. Liverpool should have won by about 5 but their own arrogance and disrespect rebounded on them.

I honestly don't see anything to worry about, just because they are WBA and we are Wolves doesn't change the fact that they are a dreadful side, one of the worst teams ever to be in the league. As long as we put in the effort and play anything like we can we will beat them easily. Even playing like we did against Brighton and Burnley we will win comfortably

R

reanswolf

Yeah that was fantastic to beat them..............'South Bank reclamation day' as we called it back then.

Express and Star published all week that all the pubs in town would be closed for the game, so we were down Chapel Ash in the 3 pubs which were rammed. As it turned out, a few pubs in town let a few locals in, but this was possibly when Albion came in off the tram and police marched them through the more-or-less empty town centre - they are not soft lads, but its in their books how they took Wolvo :)_.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah that was fantastic to beat them..............'South Bank reclamation day' as we called it back then.

Express and Star published all week that all the pubs in town would be closed for the game, so we were down Chapel Ash in the 3 pubs which were rammed. As it turned out, a few pubs in town let a few locals in, but this was possibly when Albion came in off the tram and police marched them through the more-or-less empty town centre - they are not soft lads, but its in their books how they took Wolvo :)_.
We started very early via a side door in a pub in Netherton. It could have been in the centre of wolverhampton it was that rammed. As I say I had a tough bereavement the afternoon before and really wasnt feeling it. My pal came back from the bar with a pint of Guinness with a double brandy chaser, that started to make me feel a bit more "with it".

After the game I returned to my local, full of downtrodden in blue and white "alright boys?" as I walked in. Marvellous times!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve been going to Molineux since 1978.
I don’t think we will give them a major thrashing, but I think we will win the game by a goal or two.
When I say win comfortably I mean I think we will be the better team and have control of the game.
We’ve had plenty of games under Nuno where we have won 1-0 or 2-0 and been comfortable, and I think this will be the same.
TY. Ok, long enough to sadly have most of those mental scars. I wouldn't be surprised at all either if Nuno treated it as business as usual and we eased to a comfortable relatively low-scoring win.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think anyone who thinks we will thump them and get “ revenge” is sadly mistaken. They did get honourable points at City and the dippers
If we are not “ at it” we will be in trouble , they are not going to roll over and let us tummy tickle
I’ll be happy with a very scrappy 1-0 and done with it

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats true, they always seemed rowdy in that Rainbow Stand though despite the fact when I looked at my ticket it said Family Stand.

Remember them running on the pitch from there that night Jamie Smith got sent off and a couple seasons after some ****er dancing on the tiling between the upper and lower tiers when they scored.

Argh I hope we smash them stripey, 6 fingered, sister ****ging, ugly looking, murderer loving *******s!!
Re your last para: not a fan huh, lmao.

Back
Top Bottom