Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

5 subs to be agreed in Premier League

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting. I think that may mean some of the loan players like MGW, Bolla, and Giles get to become part of a bigger squad next season?

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well that’s just perfect isn’t it!

Perfect for the so called Super 6 like Man City whose subs bench contains nothing but players who would be certain starters for most Premier League teams!

The strong teams get stronger!

Thank you for nothing Premier League.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very interesting from a tactical point of view, as it puts a greater emphasis on managers being able to react in-game and change things up earlier. Also means younger players will get more minutes.
I don't think it means anything of that sort, it means you'll need more senior professionals on the bench ready to go and gives a huge competitive advantages to teams like Manchester City.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only reason Wolves would vote for this is if they put developing players ahead of winning games. Now don't get me wrong I'm all for developing young players but I'm even more for being as competitive as possible and giving richer teams even more of an advantage won't help us be competitive.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will they keep the rule to allow up to two concussion subs too, so potentially 7 changes per team?

Current rules work fine, no need to change in my view

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sport is a physical and mental test, players being able to perform at the end of matches when they tire is a major factor as to how good they actually are.

All the screaming about player welfare could just as easily be used to say tennis should be only 3 sets, or boxing 6 rounds, F1 ten laps....etc.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Damn!
It means that to compete you have to have a higher wage bill and that doesn’t suit us.

After the Slimey Six tried to form a Super Lesgue, I thought that the other 14 clubs would finally use their votes to clip the wings of those six.
It will be interesting to see how the votes play out.

Reaction score
It'll undoubtedly mean the big squads get stronger but I would like to think it might mean the likes of Silva & MGW get more minutes, have more option of giving someone 10-15 mins as the fourth sub etc. You'd hope too the likes of Lage can outwit the likes of Lampard by making mid-game tactical changes.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I had my druthers, I’d only have two subs and only if they’re injured. Then let’s see how good a club REALLY is over a whole season.
Let the cream rise to the top.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't stand the time wasting as it is with late subs
All about helping the sky 6
Absolutely hate it

In my view I would like to substitutions banned after the 85th minute unless for a concussion or clear injury ( in the case of this type of injury the clock stops a la Rugby Union or the NFL ) as there is nothing more intelligence insulting than the farce of seeing a 94th minute substitution ( Yes I know we do it ! ) Don't get me started on this " Well they go off to the nearest sideline " hogwash as it is remarkable how many 90 plus minute subs are lurking around the centre circle waiting for the board to go up ! If tactically you have not made any changes by the 85th minute then chances are it is too flipping late anyway !

As for " The Usual Suspects " coming that player welfare twaddle, trust me if there was room in the fixture calendar for Liverpool, Manure or whoever to fly over to North America or the Far East subjecting their players to many hours in an airliner so they could whore themselves in earning yet more dosh they would so as for Klopp and likes claiming " player welfare " I say " Pah "

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Breakaway?!

We'll show you!

Yes! And now they Greedy Ones are getting extra places in the Champions League , too. So even someone like Arsenal drops below us (as they did), they will get the Champions League place, not us. :mad:

The other 86 clubs should break away from them and form our own league.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good. I like 5 subs. It keeps more players in match fitness. It gives players more of a chance to win spots. It's more tactical holding managers even more accountable.

Most importantly, it's just more healthy for the players.

I wouldn't mind rules coming in place to counteract the bigger teams having much more world class talent. Coming from North American sports, I wouldn't even be against a salary cap of some kind because I'm so used to it.

Then again, I also wish we had actual time keepers instead of the ref just making up numbers in his head.

Last edited:

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
FFS where is it all going to end? I noticed La Liga have 12 men on the bench too, how long before that happens here? Utter *******s!! :mad:

Titch

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Going to end up like American football:mad:

How much time wasting will Burnley be able to do with 5 subs plus 2 concussion subs!!

How much injury time if both teams use 5 subs each(30 secs a sub)!!

Big advantage to the greedy 6:mad:

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Good. I like 5 subs. It keeps more players in match fitness. It gives players more of a chance to win spots. It's more tactical holding managers even more accountable.

I wouldn't mind rules coming in place to counteract the bigger teams having much more world class talent. Coming from North American sports, I wouldn't even be against a salary cap of some kind because I'm so used to it.

Then again, I also wish we had actual time keepers instead of the ref just making up numbers in his head.
.."just more healthy for the players" load of *******s

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

A draft and salary cap would make things very interesting. But I can't see the bigger teams agreeing to it. The only reason it works in the US is because in simple terms, there's no real danger of relegation, you either have a good season, or a bad season.

Maybe more subs will eventually lead to rolling subs, which in turn will lead to the growth of American football style special-teams. Things like Ronaldo playing well into his 60s and being rolled out to take the penalties.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully the lockdown rule whereby you can make 5 but only in 3 intervals prevails so it doesn’t slow the game down.

There’s pro’s and con’s to this for clubs like us. The pro is it obviously helps player development the con is it allows the big boys to keep happy bloated squads. For once I’m on the fence!

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So we could go to the big 6 teams and use 3 subs as normal and the other 2 to replace players selected to get yellow cards for wiping out their best players, sounds good to me. Bring on the role of enforcers.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I must admit I was totally against this but I've been coming round to the idea more all season. Now at the point where I don't mind it. Probably because for the first time in a long time, quite recently we look like we have a bench worth using.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolute joke.

All because those ****s Pep and Klopp kept going on and on, even though they don't make subs, especially in City's case.

That proves it's not down to player welfare and it's purely down to the fact that if they ever need it, they want the option there, which it now is.

But, at the end of the day, it's getting voted in. So we can only blame ourselves if we vote yes, and the other idiots that are going along with it.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The amount of games the top players are expected to play these days is utter ridiculous.......league games , cup games, European competition, international etc etc.......I was against 5 subs before but can totally see the logic nw......players getting 20 mins off here and there will help ...... obviously you need a squad to cope...maybe a lot of the injuries these days are down to work load....

But obviously we would need some midfielders to make it work ..... because we still wouldn't be able to manage there game time with only 3.....

DJW

Reaction score
I think Nuno was right, I can't see how this benefits anyone as much as it does the top clubs with greater squad depth. I would be happy be proved wrong though.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully the lockdown rule whereby you can make 5 but only in 3 intervals prevails so it doesn’t slow the game down.

There’s pro’s and con’s to this for clubs like us. The pro is it obviously helps player development the con is it allows the big boys to keep happy bloated squads. For once I’m on the fence!
Player development can be better acheived by season long loans out to (e.g.) the Champ.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I must admit I was totally against this but I've been coming round to the idea more all season. Now at the point where I don't mind it. Probably because for the first time in a long time, quite recently we look like we have a bench worth using.

A number of clubs, including us, have had 2 goalkeepers on the bench many times this season because they have small squads and struggled with injuries.

Our squad will have to be bigger if this goes through. So will many other Premier League teams if there are to compete.

This potential ruling will certainly benefit the super 6 much more than any of the other clubs.

Why not introduce a ruling that all substitute benches must include at least 2 home grown players. That would be good for younger players development, experience and potentially international squads!

Sirstancullis

Reaction score
Absolute nonsense. Why do we keep messing with our 'beautiful game.' I'm all for progression and development, but not initiatives to remove further competition from the game to support the dirty half dozen. Competition is the emphasis of sport, yet every recent initiative introduced (VAR, FFP, now increased subs) has done nothing to support this and made the gulf wider from the dirty half dozen and everyone else. I've had enough of this, but fifa, uefa, the fa and the premier league will get what they want, which is the dirty half dozen and their european counterparts competing year in year out, in front of increased global tv audiences generating greater income. The fairytale stories like Leicester City will never happen again. What's the point we're all competing with our arms, legs, hands and everything else tied behind our backs. I've loved football and wolves since being a small boy, but i'm really falling out of love with the game. It's got to the stage now where I get nearly the same amount of enjoyment as wolves winning, from the dirty half dozen and their prima donnas, dropping points to a lesser team and Klopp et al whining like the little bitches that they are. Perhaps it's time to give it up.

Back
Top Bottom