Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

5 subs to be agreed in Premier League

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will they keep the rule to allow up to two concussion subs too, so potentially 7 changes per team?

Current rules work fine, no need to change in my view
Actually, I believe each side gets up to 2 concussion subs and the other also then gets 2 additional subs to match that too.

So technically you could have up to 9 changes per team (5 + 2 concussion subs + 2 subs to match the other teams 2 concussion subs).

If a game goes to extra time (so in the cup for instance) you also get a further sub in some competitions so in those cases each team could theoretically make 10 subs each meaning that you could end the game with 20 different outfield players to what the game started with.

bigwolf

Reaction score
This voting is simply about maintaining the status quo in the prem.

That's why most are probably supporting as it gives them advantage over teams in brackets below them. At least in theory.

The losers are the likes of Burnley and Norwich and the teams coming up.

Makes it even harder to stay in the division. Which is what all of the teams in the prem right now want to happen. Lessen the risk of going down and keep it a closed group. In effect.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Bruno was very much for being able to use 5 subs unless I am mistaken. Nuno wasnt.

T

TheConcourse

I’d be interested to see how many changes are made on average in Premier League games.

Other obvious questions are:
  • At what stage of the game?
  • Will they actually add time on?
  • Is it at referees discretion?
This is the sort of move that the big 6 will talk about to protect players, but their squads are already huge. They can already rotate.

Becoming more and more disillusioned with football at the top level tbh.

Beyond the 5 subs thing, the game is so stop start. Such little football is played. It’s become such a snidey version of the sport - and I include Wolves in that.

Sick of seeing “game management” and I don’t see how this rule doesn’t encourage more of the same.

Another nail in the coffin for me personally.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will have three goal keepers on the bench!

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This is simply to protect the top 6 nothing more, there is a lot more money in the league and teams eager to break into the top 6 than there ever has been.

It means that if City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc are drawing or losing to the likes of Us, Villa, West Ham then they change all their midfielders and attackers with world class players

If the likes of Klopp etc are so worried about player welfare then he should not be having them fly to all corners of the globe for Mickey Mouse friendlys or tournaments.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What problem is this fixing?

That a few clubs can afford 30 top class players, but those pesky old-fashioned rules only allow 11 on the pitch. Next ,they will want a goal head start for every league title won in the past 30 years. Though Liverpool and Spurs might challenge that one!

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is terrible for the game

I really hope refs get on top of time wasting but I suspect it will be even worse

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not at all, but you're free to believe as you wish.
If you truly believe this a reason for bringing in this change in the rules then you carry on. I personally think it's a smokescreen used by Klopp and Guardiola especially. There has been many times they haven't used all their 3 substitutes as it is - where was player welfare then?

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m on the fence here. Pep moans and moans but seldom makes changes in close matches; it’s all so he can give minutes to players in games where they’re cruising and avoid injuries. It’ll be teams like Utd and Spurs who profit from this most; they’ve got very strong squads regardless of what shape they’re in at the moment so will be able to throw on more talent when chasing equalisers and winners.

I’m not sure how it helps us other than bringing players back from injuries more slowly. I don’t think it will help with developing young players as we seldom have games where we are winning comfortably enough for Bruno to happily bring on younger players.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still do not understand why it has to be an odd number and jump from 3 to 5. Why not be sensible and go halfway at 4 subs. The worry with 5 is the game time lost. Ten subs in a game should be an automatic extra 5 mins injury time plus stoppages for player injuries, broken electrical gizmo's, drones and poorly spectators. Will it all be made up? Probably if we are winning but if we are losing it will inevitably be the standard three minutes.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Domestically teams outside of the top 6 are being more handcuffed by the year. What VAR can't do, nonsense like this will seal the deal.

It's why I'm desperate for us to finish 7th and get some form of European football next year. Something else to focus on rather than the 'best league in the world' which effectively decides who and where it wants certain sides to finish. Newcastle inevitably on their way to the cosy club as well. How long before it becomes 'the big 7'?

You can already sense the rhetoric from Sky when it comes to them. Spending a fortune and finally winning a few games to push them away from relegation and now they're magical.

I suspect we'll look back at finishing 8th this season and realise it's as good as it's likely to ever get domestically.

Last edited:

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great, more strategic disruption and reduction of the time the ball is actually in play. The Americanisation of the game continues.

Wolowolf6

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Great, more strategic disruption and reduction of the time the ball is actually in play. The Americanisation of the game continues.

"This 78th minute super substitution is brought to you by FertilitySmart. When your boys are flagging, don't let their feet keep dragging! Replenish your team's performance with FertilitySmart!"

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
I'm curious to why if there is a U-turn. It clearly benefits the big boys most so don't see why the majority would vote for it. The super league 6 come across as such spoilt brats who want everything their way, with the threat of taking their ball home if they don't.

Saw something of more rumblings about them qualifying for europe based on past experience and not have to use league position. Which is the super league in a different guise really. They want guaranteed european football, and only really for the money it brings and the power to bring the best players in and pay them ridiculous wages.

Football drifts further away from being a competitive sport.

If there was any justice they should all have been banned from qualifying for europe this season, massively fined, or docked points. As it is, they paid £1.99 each and now calling the shots again

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes! And now they Greedy Ones are getting extra places in the Champions League , too. So even someone like Arsenal drops below us (as they did), they will get the Champions League place, not us. :mad:

The other 86 clubs should break away from them and form our own league.
Say what now?

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d be interested to see how many changes are made on average in Premier League games.

Other obvious questions are:
  • At what stage of the game?
  • Will they actually add time on?
  • Is it at referees discretion?
This is the sort of move that the big 6 will talk about to protect players, but their squads are already huge. They can already rotate.

Becoming more and more disillusioned with football at the top level tbh.

Beyond the 5 subs thing, the game is so stop start. Such little football is played. It’s become such a snidey version of the sport - and I include Wolves in that.

Sick of seeing “game management” and I don’t see how this rule doesn’t encourage more of the same.

Another nail in the coffin for me personally.
Agree

Within the next 5 years we will be playing in quarters to have drinks breaks for player welfare, much like soton are doing now with their 67th minute “injuries”

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you truly believe this a reason for bringing in this change in the rules then you carry on. I personally think it's a smokescreen used by Klopp and Guardiola especially. There has been many times they haven't used all their 3 substitutes as it is - where was player welfare then?
I will carry on, thank you! It's been fantastic for international football.

Now if only they'd actually time games correctly.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still do not understand why it has to be an odd number and jump from 3 to 5. Why not be sensible and go halfway at 4 subs. The worry with 5 is the game time lost. Ten subs in a game should be an automatic extra 5 mins injury time plus stoppages for player injuries, broken electrical gizmo's, drones and poorly spectators. Will it all be made up? Probably if we are winning but if we are losing it will inevitably be the standard three minutes.
Or this wonderful as sport should just get a real timekeeper and take that crap out of the refs hand. It would stop so much bull**** that I can't believe it's still the same old way.

Ball in play, the clock runs. Ball out of play, the clock stops. Game ends at 90 minutes. After a refer signal, you have so many seconds to take a throw in, free kick, corner, goal kick, etc or you get a yellow.

Time wasting and diving are the two things I hate.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To me....5 players is too many. I can see us having to face a lot of last ten minute set piece teams. Sheffield United did that to us last time round.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is terrible for the game

I really hope refs get on top of time wasting but I suspect it will be even worse
I can live with all the conspiracy theories tbh but what will **** me off and slow the game right down is perhaps 10 subs in the 2nd half and at least half of them after 85 minutes. It will become a right farce and ****ing boring tbh and you now the refs won't add the time on.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regarding time wasting, I wonder how many of these tactical injuries we’d have if the Rugby League rules applied where the game carries on while the physio treats the player. Don’t think they’d be so keen on staying on the floor then.

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You can only make a substitution 3 times during play ( and half time) so it won't be 5 seperate occasions. Still disagree with it though

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think it means anything of that sort, it means you'll need more senior professionals on the bench ready to go and gives a huge competitive advantages to teams like Manchester City.
I think it means both. But it does give even greater advantage to those who can afford a squad of 20 big money lads. We'll see more tactical subs earlier on.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can live with all the conspiracy theories tbh but what will **** me off and slow the game right down is perhaps 10 subs in the 2nd half and at least half of them after 85 minutes. It will become a right farce and ****ing boring tbh and you now the refs won't add the time on.
I think to make a sub you should have to leave the pitch within 15 seconds . If you don’t you lose the opportunity to use the sub

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's as Bradmore says. 5 players can be subbed but only 3 breaks in play for substitution (per team)

It will make a small difference in terms of time wasting. For some reason when 2 players get subbed at the same time, it's two completely separate events. I swear double subs used to walk off together.

Anyway, we all hate time wasting. It negatively affects every club at some point and it's very frustrating. Would say it affects the top 6 more than rest of league which is good at least.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even more time wasting then.

Combined with the abomination that is VAR I feel like the modern day game is taking a real tumble.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trouble is putting two players on in one go does not really speed things up as they are still done one at a time.

Back
Top Bottom