Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

10 games left - the run in

M

MattyWWFC

Fulham and villa have it easy compared to us and Cardiff I think we need at least 96 points and I’m not sure we are capable of that on our recent form sorry

Nothing is easy in this league. Villa and Fulham won’t pick up maximum points from now until the end of the season.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t win either of the next two games to be honest. It’s almost like we expect them to roll over without much effort ( like us at Villa)
Players look leggy , team selection questionable , and we stuffed up in January by not spending on a goalscoring target man
Afobe has been a poor signing. Bonatini couldn’t buy a goal and what other option is there ?
We have been found out and we have no plan B

You and Essex should get a room. I would never ring either of you if I needed cheering up!

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At least Sunderland will already have relegation confirmed for our final game of the season and won't feel the need to put as much of a shift in.

D

Deleted member 5910

Fulham and villa have it easy compared to us and Cardiff I think we need at least 96 points and I’m not sure we are capable of that on our recent form sorry

There is no chance that we would get 95 points and finish 3rd. The average points total to finish 2nd is only 86.

S

ShropshireLad

There is no chance that we would get 95 points and finish 3rd. The average points total to finish 2nd is only 86.
Forget the averages, ccpn. There are four good teams at the top of the division and quite a few poor ones at the bottom. I'm certain that at least three teams and quite possibly four will amass over 90 points.

Of course, this is just an opinion but it's based on my observation above. And remember, we shouldn't have been relegated to Division 1 five/six years ago with the number of points we'd accumulated, by average.

D

Deleted member 5910

Forget the averages, ccpn. There are four good teams at the top of the division and quite a few poor ones at the bottom. I'm certain that at least three teams and quite possibly four will amass over 90 points.

Of course, this is just an opinion but it's based on my observation above. And remember, we shouldn't have been relegated to Division 1 five/six years ago with the number of points we'd accumulated, by average.

Our rivals have been on superb runs of late- but runs inevitably end. It may seem nervy for us now, but our rivals will wane while we start to wax. You could argue that if you're going to have a wobble, do it on the bend before the final straight and not on the straight itself.

Every game Fulham win, there's that little bit more pressure on them to keep it going, and I'd be interested to see how they react to their first setback. We all have to play 5 games in 16 days after the international break. I wonder how the rival squads deal with that, especially if we turn up the heat by taking maximum points against Reading and Burton as expected. As has been pointed out earlier, our run-in is the second easiest out of the top four PPG-wise. While Fulham's is slightly easier, our sizable points advantage is crucial. I'd be gobsmacked if we were in 3rd place with 90 points.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we dont beat Reading i'll be very concerned, at the moment though i'm not. Thing that does slightly concern me is that unlike in 2008/9 when we had that run of 1 win in 11, our rivals are in form and picking up points where as back then they didnt take advantage of our slip up. I do think we need to take 6 points from our next 2 games and 12 points from our next six games and i think we will pretty much secure things.

We have just lost our belief, we need to find it again.

D

Deleted member 4453

there's no gimme against the lower sides. Not saying we cant win but don't arrive at the Mol for the next 2 expecting to roll them over. Frustration from the stands could possibly end up being a problem

D

Deleted member 4453

As for the other 3 dropping points, been expecting it for weeks so I'm not assuming it will happen in the next lot of games...

K

Kingswinford Wolf

It is still in our own hands. Win the next 2 and all of a sudden we sit on 82 points with 8 to play. 3 more wins after that give us 91. A few favours would be nice, I mean lets be real the points return of Fulham, Cardiff and Villa in the last few months is starting to border on a joke. If we win 5 games and still get pipped by Fulham they will surely have broken all records going on the final 23 games of a season. Again if we win 5 and lose 5 Villa need to Villa need to win 8 of their final 10.

The next 2 games are so big then Jeff and Nuno can take the lads back to Spain.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fulham if I have worked this out right need 22 from 9. 2.44 ppg.

Sometgibg like 7 wins 1 defeat 1 draw. I know they have been on a heck of a run buts that's a hell of an ask at the business end of the season.

Villa need 21 from 10. 2.1 ppg.

Somethibg like 6 wins 3 draws 1 defeat.

We need 15 points to get to 91 pts.

Something like 4 wins 3 draws 3 defeats.

The house really is stacked in our favour with Villa and Cardiff also having to play each other. I would be surprised if we lose more than 3 between now and the end of the season.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No ifs or buts. The next two games are massive for us. Win them and we go into the International break in a really strong position and only 8 games left. Screw them up and we will be in serious difficulties with a very tough Mdboro away game after the break. Have to win these next two games.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think the key is win the next 2 irrespective what happens then with others the gap maintains at the least. During international break close ranks go off somewhere and work on getting back the discipline that got us the lead we had a month or so back. We have oppurtunity but the big MUST is to win the next 2.

100% Two wins, a short break with a blast in the sun, before the final push.

S

ShropshireLad

Our rivals have been on superb runs of late- but runs inevitably end. It may seem nervy for us now, but our rivals will wane while we start to wax. You could argue that if you're going to have a wobble, do it on the bend before the final straight and not on the straight itself.

Every game Fulham win, there's that little bit more pressure on them to keep it going, and I'd be interested to see how they react to their first setback. We all have to play 5 games in 16 days after the international break. I wonder how the rival squads deal with that, especially if we turn up the heat by taking maximum points against Reading and Burton as expected. As has been pointed out earlier, our run-in is the second easiest out of the top four PPG-wise. While Fulham's is slightly easier, our sizable points advantage is crucial. I'd be gobsmacked if we were in 3rd place with 90 points.
I generally agree, matey, but how many points we and they end up with is summat about which we'll have to wait and see...and that's the fun of the joy ride. As I've said before, we're on a roller coaster and not the big dipper. :cool:

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
win the next two the gap will widen, I am sure Cardiff will drop some points this week and possibly Villa ( i fancy QPR to get a draw as pressure on Villa increases and they get carried away with a win against us)

Worst case same as it is now with two games ticked off. 7 points with 8 to go from Villa is a great position (better than 7 with 10 to go!)

So its all down to us

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cardiff are away at Brentford and Derby next week.

Chill, the title is still ours.

This is a bit of a saving grace - agreed. But confidence is severely dented and the two fixtures this week are crucial. If Nuno sticks with Bonatini it could cost us.

This is a bit of a saving grace - agreed. But confidence is severely dented and the two fixtures this week are crucial. If Nuno sticks with Bonatini it could cost us.

Bonatini playing or not won't cost us. It's a team effort and as has been documented on here, Leo gives much more than goals to the side (good job really).

The meltdown will be horrendous if we don't get six points from the next two, but if we do, then all will be right in the world once more.

Fingers crossed

S

ShropshireLad

I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t win either of the next two games to be honest. It’s almost like we expect them to roll over without much effort ( like us at Villa)
Players look leggy , team selection questionable , and we stuffed up in January by not spending on a goalscoring target man
Afobe has been a poor signing. Bonatini couldn’t buy a goal and what other option is there ?
We have been found out and we have no plan B
Each to their own. :D

M

MattyWWFC

I wouldn’t agree that confidence is seriously dented. We looked absolutely fine against Leeds and the first half against Villa. It’s just our decision making in the final third that is letting us down. That coupled with a shocking defensive display against Villa.
We have Champions League players in our squad, I’m sure they’ll be able to put Villa behind them and focus on the next couple, which are both very winnable.

S

SavageWolf

And Sunderland
Come on people what about the 23 games that we have won. The scoreline at Villa wasn't a true reflection of the overall game, Villa were clinical and we didn't create or at least didn't shoot but the bottom line is we had Batth in defence so we were in trouble before a ball was kicked. What I'm saying is whether we lost 1-0, 2-1 or 4-1 it's no real shame that we lost to Villa away, just like it wasn't when we lost to Fulham away, both on their best runs of the season and took advantage of us not being at the races. The more negative vibes we give the players at the games or on social media the more pressure they will feel.
We know what the main cause(s) of the loss to Villa were so all Nuno needs to do is fix them - out goes Batth, N'Diaye and Bonatini and bring in Bennett, Saiss and Afobe or Costa and we will be back on business.

D

Deleted member 5910

Fulham if I have worked this out right need 22 from 9. 2.44 ppg.

Sometgibg like 7 wins 1 defeat 1 draw. I know they have been on a heck of a run buts that's a hell of an ask at the business end of the season.

Villa need 21 from 10. 2.1 ppg.

Somethibg like 6 wins 3 draws 1 defeat.

We need 15 points to get to 91 pts.

Something like 4 wins 3 draws 3 defeats.

The house really is stacked in our favour with Villa and Cardiff also having to play each other. I would be surprised if we lose more than 3 between now and the end of the season.

Excellent post. And bear in mind Fulham need 7W,1D,1L just to get to 90 points. To get to the mid-nineties range that people are genuinely touting on this thread, they'd practically need to win the lot. Maybe draw one. I can't see them picking up maximum points after 5 games in 16 days, for one thing. We have the luxury of being able to drop the occasional points during that period- they don't.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing is easy in this league. Villa and Fulham won’t pick up maximum points from now until the end of the season.
Fulham might well win every game - their record this year since finding their feet is phenomenal and the football they play is on a level similar to us at our best earlier in the season.

Cardiff are just solid. Very solid. They might drop a few points.

Villa will drop points and so will we. Whether we drop enough to let Fulham in remains to be seen but Villa are not going to finish top two.

L

long ball man

We are top. It's in our own hands.

The most important man over the next few weeks is whoever Wolves employ as a psychologist. It's about what's between the ears now. A wobble such as we've had over last 12 games still sees us to 94 pts. We need calm heads and clear minds. Every point dropped by Fulham, Cardiff and Villa is to be noted but if we just do okay i.e 18 points from 10 then 2/3 need to play out of their skins. i.e Fulham would need to win 9/9 and Villa 9/10.

I am not convinced the players need to be bogged down by all this ' if x beat y talk, however. They just need game by game effort.

Wherever we finish we can then have a post-mortem. Personally, i think the style of football is so beautiful that we've been seduced into thinking its automatically superior to more power based teams such as Villa. But the finishing line is coming and we should run the race first.

Us lot? definitely, do the stats and magic points thread. But let's just support, eh? There is no need for negativity and flapping based on seasons long in the past.We need positivity Tues/Sat not that terrible collective anxious wince you sometimes hear at Molineux as soon as an away side cross the halfway line. Belief!

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fulham had a great run last year then choked when they got to the play-offs. Can they handle the pressure when things get tight? It's a lot easier when there's no pressure on you

D

Deleted member 4453

Personally don't see Fulham dropping much if anything between now and the end of the season. Similarly Villa as all their big games are at home.
I can see Cardiff dropping points even though they haven't done so lately, but it really is all in our hands...

S

ShropshireLad

Come on people what about the 23 games that we have won. The scoreline at Villa wasn't a true reflection of the overall game, Villa were clinical and we didn't create or at least didn't shoot but the bottom line is we had Batth in defence so we were in trouble before a ball was kicked. What I'm saying is whether we lost 1-0, 2-1 or 4-1 it's no real shame that we lost to Villa away, just like it wasn't when we lost to Fulham away, both on their best runs of the season and took advantage of us not being at the races. The more negative vibes we give the players at the games or on social media the more pressure they will feel.
We know what the main cause(s) of the loss to Villa were so all Nuno needs to do is fix them - out goes Batth, N'Diaye and Bonatini and bring in Bennett, Saiss and Afobe or Costa and we will be back on business.
Ask anyone which team's position they'd rather us be in and EVERYONE would say ours.

Ask anyone at the start of the season whether they'd be happy to be where Cardiff are at this stage of the season and they'd say yes.

Ask anyone at the start of the season if they'd be happy where Villa are now and over 95% would say yes.

Ask anyone at the start of the season if they'd be happy where Fulham are now and over 90% would say yes.

Nuff said.

Alienwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Personally don't see Fulham dropping much if anything between now and the end of the season. Similarly Villa as all their big games are at home.
I can see Cardiff dropping points even though they haven't done so lately, but it really is all in our hands...
I sort of agree with you on this, as the march of the challengers seems to be unstoppable at the moment. There is, however, in virtually all of these run-ins, a week when ALL of the teams drop points. Ive got a feeling it could be this weekend.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This mini slump has had me wondering.Now please dow all jump on me back.This is me just letting me head roll.

Perhaps these Portuguese players dow like the weather after all,and are thinking sod this for a lark I'd rather play in the Sun than all this freezing wind rain and snow.This slump as come whilst we have had the worst of the winter.Can they handle it.? Not sure meself.

Convinced me self I'm talking bylux now.So come on lads it's going to get warmer.:D

D

Deleted member 4453

I sort of agree with you on this, as the march of the challengers seems to be unstoppable at the moment. There is, however, in virtually all of these run-ins, a week when ALL of the teams drop points. Ive got a feeling it could be this weekend.

I'm not religious but I pray your right...

T

TornadoTed

We need at least 5 wins. We need to be the flat track bullies that we've been all season and finish this as soon as possible.

I've read the term 'flat track bullies' or similar a few times over the last few days and I don't get it. Ok we have lost to Villa, Cardiff and Fulham but remember we have beaten Villa, Fulham, Derby and Boro too. Cardiff are the only team in the top 6 we haven't beaten but we could put that right if we beat them at their place. In fact we have beaten every team in the top 12 except Cardiff so to suggest we only look good against poorer sides just isn't true.

I still maintain that if we had of lost to Fulham in say October and Villa in April nobody would have batted an eyelid, because they were a week apart it gives the impression that we are in a slump and can't beat top sides etc.

F

FLEET WOLF

This mini slump has had me wondering.Now please dow all jump on me back.This is me just letting me head roll.

Perhaps these Portuguese players dow like the weather after all,and are thinking sod this for a lark I'd rather play in the Sun than all this freezing wind rain and snow.This slump as come whilst we have had the worst of the winter.Can they handle it.? Not sure meself.

Convinced me self I'm talking bylux now.So come on lads it's going to get warmer.:D
I don't think the cold weather was an issue, but a lot of our players are young or youngish and not used to the intensity, week in week out, of the Championship and it is a bloody long season. Villa, Cardiff and Fulham perhaps have more British players used to that intensity and possibly that is beginning to tell. Having said all that, I still think we shall stagger over the line, by a short neck, from Cardiff!

Back
Top Bottom