Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

U18 & U23 news and info...

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The first (and hopefully not the only) PL2 playoff game is taking place on Monday 6th May @2pm. away vs Sunderland for those not aware

The winners will play the victors from West Ham (2nd) vs Blackburn (15th) I believe.

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Finished 2-1 to Wolves

Currently third still and we cannot finish lower than 4th which would be our highest finish in well over 10 years, if not for ever

What would you say is the cause of this season’s success for the U18s? A good batch of players, good coaching, a combination?

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What would you say is the cause of this season’s success for the U18s? A good batch of players, good coaching, a combination?

I think collectively they're a good bunch of players and Richard Walker and Ian Sharps have done well from a coaching perspective.... sounds like they're well respected by the players.

Throw in:

* They've played 28 games this season (incl Cups) and 9 players have played over 20 of them, so having a consistent team has helped.

* quite a few of them have been around at this level for a good few seasons already, Rees (4th season) Voice, Carson, Harper, even 16 year old Makenzie Bradbury are on their third season playing u18s

* Rees, Voice, Harper, Benjamin have all played u21s also, providing even more stretch/experience.

*Having a striker in form also helps - Mr Angel

Appreciate that sounds like a bit of everything and I'm sitting on the fence, however you don't get success without multiple bits coming together - have a team of great players but poor coaching, or great coaching but poor players, or a team that chops and changes every week, you don't get the same results.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be great experience for the young lads. Play against players with proper strength.

Looks like the whole competition will be subsidised by Premier League clubs which is why the NL are up for it, what's more interesting to me is how this totally bypasses the EFL. Lots of politics involved in this rather than just about getting youth players exposed to adult football.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like the whole competition will be subsidised by Premier League clubs which is why the NL are up for it, what's more interesting to me is how this totally bypasses the EFL. Lots of politics involved in this rather than just about getting youth players exposed to adult football.
I'd imagine that the PL will talk about aiding the grass roots not merely the EFL.....

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think this was mentioned but looks like our U21 team will be in a new cup competition against National League sides.

Just can’t see how this will work….

The NL clubs already have a 46 game season, many of which suffer fixture congestion due to weather/pitches.

Also supposedly the EFL Trophy will stay as it is

Rather than it being an u21 thing I can almost see the club treating it like an extension of the Birmingham Senior cup and playing mostly u18s

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just can’t see how this will work….

The NL clubs already have a 46 game season, many of which suffer fixture congestion due to weather/pitches.

Also supposedly the EFL Trophy will stay as it is

Rather than it being an u21 thing I can almost see the club treating it like an extension of the Birmingham Senior cup and playing mostly u18s

Apparently they were in talks with the EFL (as part of the big financial package that fell apart) to increase U21s involvement in the EFL Trophy. This very much seems like the PL trying to weaken the EFLs bargaining position by slicing off their NL support.

I imagine it will also calm NL teams tensions over losing FA Cup replays.

Alienwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’ve not seen Angel play, but he certainly is ripping it up at this level. Let’s hope we can keep hold of him to see if we have a real player on our hands

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve not seen Angel play, but he certainly is ripping it up at this level. Let’s hope we can keep hold of him to see if we have a real player on our hands
Giant
You are seeing this Dani Angel week in week out. Does he show more potential than chiwome and Fraser?

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Success this year of the Academy section across the board is something remarkable.
And seems to involve a huge, coordinated effort by very many people, from the scouting up
to the coaches themselves.

The U21's would have done even better, imo, if the first team squad had not been so cut down, taking
the best players out of the youth team.

Still, however, a massive task to get them up to first team level. Bueno, for example, the one youth player,
who has broken through to the first team squad, is probably going to end up Championship level at best.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Giant
You are seeing this Dani Angel week in week out. Does he show more potential than chiwome and Fraser?

I don’t see him week in week out, but FWIW, all three have different attributes.

He’s on a good run without a doubt, he’s still a little raw and not just because of his age, but has a bit of pace and quick feet so let’s see how he does

Back
Top Bottom