Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What shoould Wolves do next with Fabio Silva?

What should Wolves do next with Fabio Silva

• Sell Fabio for between 10 - 15 million with add-ons

Votes: 249 66.4%
  • Loan with an option to buy at 20 million

Votes: 27 7.2%
  • Dry loan to another club and assess in the summer

Votes: 31 8.3%
  • Keep Fabio at Wolves and use him in a meaningful way.

Votes: 51 13.6%
  • Other

Votes: 17 4.5%

• Total voters

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm all Fabio'ed out. Have a feeling he won't be sold anytime soon and will remain a perennial problem / dilemma. I really would like to read Shi's opinion? He's become a figure of derision for Celtic fans and one of anger, by fans from the other side of Glasgow. It wasn't supposed to be like this? We won't be the first club to be had-over in a hefty transfer fee and certainly won't be the last.
Can you name any other 18 year old who cost a club £35 mil? No, I didn't think you could.

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Can you name any other 18 year old who cost a club £35 mil? No, I didn't think you could.
For a club of our financial standing, absolutely not. As I referenced earlier, interesting to hear Shi's opinion? But (to use that most stupid of business cliches) it is, what it is and we are, where we are with regard to Fabio.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Blimey the Scots / former Rangers players are really giving Fabio some stick
Looks like Fabio will be back at Wolves in the summer unless a Portuguese team come in for him?

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hot take: this is good for him. Either he cracks from the pressure and totally falls apart, or he gets really gets stuck in and gets some of that chip on the shoulder that he needs if he will ever amount to anything as a player. He's been coddled long enough. Also, it's someone else's fans doing it!

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hot take: this is good for him. Either he cracks from the pressure and totally falls apart, or he gets really gets stuck in and gets some of that chip on the shoulder that he needs if he will ever amount to anything as a player. He's been coddled long enough. Also, it's someone else's fans doing it!
Actually I was just thinking similar.
If this experience humbles him a bit and he came back here next summer and worked hard, kept his head down and showed some patience and humility then I wouldn’t be against him in our squad as second choice striker…. Sadly I just don’t think that will happen. If he could show the personality of someone like Hugo Bueno he’d stand a far greater chance of ending up with a successful career.
I suspect he needs to restart his career with a permanent move in the summer.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like the Rangers move is badly backfiring. Would we get even £8 million for him now? I sincerely doubt it. It will be another loan next season and then another till his contract runs down. What a disaster for him and the club.
Could O'Neill somehow save his career? He will clearly never be a central striker. Probably best as a No.10. In the Belgian, Swiss or Austrian leagues.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sell Fabio to Southern Europe where his game will suit him best and add a sell-on clause to make a profit later on - maybe Villareal, which isn't a rich club but likes Guedes and Yerson?

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I reckon the loan clubs before he went to Scotland are probably his best bet if we made him available for around £5-10m with add ons. He's a classic example of a player being given too much, too young. He's spoiled in every sense sadly.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Looks like the Rangers move is badly backfiring. Would we get even £8 million for him now? I sincerely doubt it. It will be another loan next season and then another till his contract runs down. What a disaster for him and the club.
Could O'Neill somehow save his career? He will clearly never be a central striker. Probably best as a No.10. In the Belgian, Swiss or Austrian leagues.

He’s not an EPL standard player and that’s been painfully clear for a very long time. Whoever ultimately signed off on bringing in the likes of Cutrone and Silva should be forced to watch the Chorley game on repeat loop with the sound of Porto fans cackling in the background. Silva was ultimately collateral on a 35m payment - things could have been very different had we taken Vitinha and Fabio Vieira!

There’s an air gap between where he thinks he’s at and the reality. Probably a return to Portugal or sending him to Greece might be best bet next season. I doubt bidding would go north of 5m and we’ll likely fetch more for Hoever I reckon.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Must admit that I am sick to death of reading about him. Surely a Championship club would be prepared to take a punt on him next season. Give him a full season in the Championship and let him sink or swim. A real make or break season. If he flops badly, we just have to cut our losses. You never know though, and it could be the making of him. It's a tough league, and if he comes through it, he should be much better for it.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Must admit that I am sick to death of reading about him. Surely a Championship club would be prepared to take a punt on him next season. Give him a full season in the Championship and let him sink or swim. A real make or break season. If he flops badly, we just have to cut our losses. You never know though, and it could be the making of him. It's a tough league, and if he comes through it, he should be much better for it.
He'd do well in the Championship, especially if he plays up top with someone around him

What this thread shows though is people just can not let the lad go and play football. There was another click bait article I saw in the week banging on about Silva and how much he's costing Wolves (which isn't as much as the articles like to say). He has the weight of the world on his shoulders when he puts on a Wolves shirt and it's largely because of the never ending scrutiny. He starts for Portugal U21s which should tell anyone with half a brain that there's a decent footballer in there because it's not as if Portugal are short of talented kids, but people do love a pile on, especially from the sanctuary of behind a computer screen

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all thought that about the SPL - a far weaker league than the championship

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sell Fabio to Southern Europe where his game will suit him best and add a sell-on clause to make a profit later on - maybe Villareal, which isn't a rich club but likes Guedes and Yerson?
Yes, swap him for that Mosquera bloke. Oh, hang on ...

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all thought that about the SPL - a far weaker league than the championship
Maybe he needs something a bit tougher than the SPL at the moment, but not as tough as the Premier League. Also he is very much in the spotlight at Rangers, whereas if he joined a Championship club he might be able to go more under the radar and be allowed to just get on with playing football.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Maybe he needs something a bit tougher than the SPL at the moment, but not as tough as the Premier League. Also he is very much in the spotlight at Rangers, whereas if he joined a Championship club he might be able to go more under the radar and be allowed to just get on with playing football.
Or maybe he's just a bit ****?

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like many have struggled to see what special qualities he has or could develop. From the outset he was poor in the air, had no exceptional pace, missed too many goal opportunities, was not particularly strong, not that skilful, no strong shot nor set piece skills demonstrated.
His link play was quite good and he ran around quite a lot, but not to much purpose. £35m for that? Never ever understood how a £35m price tag was deemed acceptable by Shi and co. Total mystery and it can't be said that supporters were nor offering him support...

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He hasn't developed. When he scored four goals I thought he could build on that. He hits the weights and looks physically stronger but wasn't any stronger. His best spell was for psv and anderlecht. He needs to go back to those leagues.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I totally agree he should go to Southern Europe , he has proved himself not capable of dealing with the physicality of Northern Europe.
But first it would be good for GON to have chance to work with him first over the summer.
I thought RAN was going a bit "soft" and GON has made him in to a new man.
I think Hoever may also be a sow's ear that could be turned into a silk purse by our magician.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In hindsight whoever sent him to Scotland did us a massive favour. Clarity on his strengths and weaknesses have been made clear. Expectations well and truly squashed .
WWFC fans were accused of being negative towards him and it was parlty our fault , because we held the price tag against him.
I always felt that was a false analysis. In absolute terms he just wasnt good enough .
I am not sure if I feel sorry for him , because there are thousands of average footballer who would love his salary.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am 52. My back sometimes doesn't behave, and I have never been a good footballer. But I am a stroppy aggressive git on occasions and would still be more of a goal threat than Fabio

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been a big backer for Silva in the past, but when you watch it with replays, it looks like he’s tried to dive and get a pen even though no one’s around him… So poor

That’s one of the strangest things I’ve ever seen on a football pitch. It looks to the naked eye and, admittedly, in slow motion that he’s diving instead of tapping the ball into an open net. It’s either that or he’s so surprised to see the ball that he falls over. It’s bizarre

Edited: is his confidence that low that his instinctual reaction to getting the ball in the box is for his legs to turn to jelly? I’m probably spending too much time trying to work this out :D

Vtrpres

Groupie
Reaction score
When I heard what Wolves had paid for Silva I thought this kid must be the next Ronaldo. What I saw of him that season confirmed what I still think. Very average player indeed.
I am sad to say he will never be a top flight striker.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember saying he needs to start scoring for fun immediately in Scotland or else he loses all his value he had left.

Be extremely difficult to get £10m for him now. **** Jeff Shi and Mendes for this one

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is ****ing embarrassing……

Is there a football version of webuyanycar.com????

He is single handedly destroying any transfer fee with this loan……

Back
Top Bottom