Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2024 transfer window thread.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We would be receiving a lot of money but a book price loss on some of these loan players. Isn’t it worth using that money to expand the John Ireland stand and south bank to 38,000.
Given the lack of depth in the playing squad using precious resources for infrastructure rather than addressing that would be lunacy.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Although I could definitely see a world where Ait Nouri could play wide left in a front three, Gary seems pretty clear that he wants Cunha on the left so they’d be vying for the same position… unless we are assuming Ait Nouri can seamlessly transition from being a left back or left wing back into being a right winger… that seems a stretch to me.
Did well there against West Ham

Oldskooldayz

Groupie
Reaction score
Think a few need to reduce expectations for the summer, depending on outgoings (Neto,Podence,Guedes) we should be in a position to sign 4 or 5 hopefully decent players and a couple of frees/loans fleshing out the squad a bit. That doesn't sound amazing but we'd only be missing Neto really who's been injured for half the season and boosting the numbers and giving GON options not only for starting lineups but also subs and being able to protect the players when they need a break.

Signing players like Adams might not be exiting but right now he's exactly the type of player needed as long as we also go and spend a bit on another number 9.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think a few need to reduce expectations for the summer, depending on outgoings (Neto,Podence,Guedes) we should be in a position to sign 4 or 5 hopefully decent players and a couple of frees/loans fleshing out the squad a bit. That doesn't sound amazing but we'd only be missing Neto really who's been injured for half the season and boosting the numbers and giving GON options not only for starting lineups but also subs and being able to protect the players when they need a break.

Signing players like Adams might not be exiting but right now he's exactly the type of player needed as long as we also go and spend a bit on another number 9.
He looked on fire last night

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair people look back on the 20/21 summer as a failure due to the outlay on Silva, Semedo and even Hoever but we also added RAN (initially on loan), Toti and Vitinha (again on loan).

Had Vitinha been given a bit more game time, and signed, we’d really be looking at three incredible successes already with Semedo increasingly becoming a key player over the last season or so and Hoever starting to find his feet on loan too.

Silva is very much a what if though, the Raul injury changed an awful lot on that one.
Hoever is **** for Stoke mate, they can’t work out why he gets picked and reckon his attitude stinks. If we can flog him for £5m I’d do it tomorrow

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If we had signed Adams in January im in no doubt we’d be in an fa cup semi final

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given the lack of depth in the playing squad using precious resources for infrastructure rather than addressing that would be lunacy.
Quite right. But...when the new, more UEFA aligned PSR come in, it would leave funds available for infrastructure improvements.
At the moment, we're paying over 100% of revenue on squad costs. It will only be 85% within a few years. No reason not to be looking at expansion then would be silly, itspaid for by generated revenue rather Fosun hands in pockets.

Madmalc

Reaction score
Quite right. But...when the new, more UEFA aligned PSR come in, it would leave funds available for infrastructure improvements.
At the moment, we're paying over 100% of revenue on squad costs. It will only be 85% within a few years. No reason not to be looking at expansion then would be silly, itspaid for by generated revenue rather Fosun hands in pockets.
If we increased the capacity of the ground by another 20,000 seats paying on average £650 a season ticket that would increase revenue by £13 million. The outlay for those 20,000 seats could turn us into a basket case, we could even end up like Everton, hoping someone with deeper pockets might come in to help pay the interest on the debt burden and throwing millions at us weekly for the day to day running costs.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we increased the capacity of the ground by another 20,000 seats paying on average £650 a season ticket that would increase revenue by £13 million. The outlay for those 20,000 seats could turn us into a basket case, we could even end up like Everton, hoping someone with deeper pockets might come in to help pay the interest on the debt burden and throwing millions at us weekly for the day to day running costs.
Certainly the economics have to be right.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Although I could definitely see a world where Ait Nouri could play wide left in a front three, Gary seems pretty clear that he wants Cunha on the left so they’d be vying for the same position… unless we are assuming Ait Nouri can seamlessly transition from being a left back or left wing back into being a right winger… that seems a stretch to me.
I absolutely think RAN could play on the right. A year ago we all contributed to a thread about how Neto should only play on the left…. He’s done very well on the right this season.
Personally I think left wingback is a perfect position for RAN. But either wide forward in a 433 or winger in a 442 would work for him too.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A season. We wouldn't be doing it for a one-off £13m. In any case, it's one way that we can increase revenue as Fosun won't or can't just keep ploughing money in ad-infinitum. We have to increase our revenue and investing in computer games and music isn't doing much for us!

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Blimey if you were President of Ukraine then that country would have laid down their arms 10 days into the Russian invasion.
Your small time vision is the kind of philosophy that will doom the club to a return to the Championship. Sorry but It is defeatist and pathetic.

Of course from time to time when a big enough offer comes in for a player it can make sense to re-cycle that money into squad strengthening. But that does not mean that any time a larger club shows interest in one of our players we should hold our hands up and say 'I surrender'.

If Fosun decide to retreat then that is another matter. But they want Premier League status and surely know that to hold on to a core of your best players is
vital to achieve this. Replacing with better or equal players is increasingly difficult . Look at the disaster of replacing Jota with Silva. So the best need to be on long contracts and good money. There is no reason why we can't challenge for Europa league places in the future if we hold on to the likes of Ait-Nouri, Cunha and Gomes and build a team around them.

Thats as dumb a reply as i have ever seen, comparing a possible transfer in whats basically a game to the invasion of a country. Laughable and lacks any credibility to any argument you have.

You are living in dreamland if you think we can force a player to stay just because we want him to. Its not about being defeatist as i said before, its just the way it is. You keep saying that everyone is saying that any time a bigger club than us wants our players we are going to sell. We arent. What you arent grasping is if we get a 50 million offer for Gomes from Liverpool, he's going to want to leave and we will sell him. If we get a 50 million offer for RAN from Citeh, he will want to leave. I think you get the picture here. And if it all happens to Neto and Kilman as well in the same window, we will lose all 4 in one window.

You need to accept the fact that we sign these players on the proviso that if we get a good offer from a club that can offer them more in the game ( European football for example ) that we wont stand in their way. If we start holding players here the way you want us to, no player will want to come here in the first place.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
not sure if this has been posted anywhere ? Johnny Phillips seems to be original source

no idea about him - any good ? fast ? tall ? poacher ?
Looking at this season's stats he's played 40 games (26 full games worth of minutes) and scored 11 goals.

Spent some of the early part of the season with an injured hamstring ( hello darkness my old friend).

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ait Nouri was a slacker too but Gary turned him around
Hard to say when they are out on loan elsewhere I’m sure they’ve drawn up plans for what they want to happen. Fabio was hardly used by Gaz even when he was here. So I think that ship has sailed and probably the same for Hoever if he isn’t getting good reviews at poor Stoke hardly going to improve us. You never know. Clean slate in pre season for many maybe but we won’t hang around too much when we have deals to make

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“I have expressed it before: I like Villarreal, LaLiga and I want to be able to continue providing what I can to the team. I know that not everything depends on me, but on my part, I leave everything open so that an agreement can be reached,” he said.

FFS.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“I have expressed it before: I like Villarreal, LaLiga and I want to be able to continue providing what I can to the team. I know that not everything depends on me, but on my part, I leave everything open so that an agreement can be reached,” he said.

FFS.
If he doesn't want to be at wolves then get rid, no big loss. The last thing we want is a player who's going to sulk if he doesn't get regular minutes and we have no idea if he's good enough for the premier league, so can't really guarantee he starts over any of our current crop.

It could just be talk though, he can't exactly say he doesn't want to be there or doesn't want to return next season. All it really says is that he's open to staying there, not that he's closed to returning to wolves.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said this would happen in January with Yerson...
His head may get may get turned,......it doesn't fuss me at the end of day he hasn't been part of the core group this season....they are our main concern....Yerson was always purchased to make a profit.....if he wants to go and Villareal want him then pay up 15m..........

Haven't got a problem with anybody leaving who is out on loan ...

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It could just be talk though, he can't exactly say he doesn't want to be there or doesn't want to return next season. All it really says is that he's open to staying there, not that he's closed to returning to wolves.
Agreed that's what it read like initially, but this is way more a direct 'come and get me' plea, in my opinion.

Would be a big loss given his potential and what we've put into him so far.

Alienwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Am I missing something with the potential transfer of Yerson in the summer?
I have no issue with him if he is enjoying his football and lifestyle in Spain. If he wants to move there permanently, then so be it, but what’s with the £15m?
If they want him, we need to replace him, as he is part of our plans for next season. Good luck finding a PL defender at that price.

Back
Top Bottom