Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

BuzzWolves

Groupie
Reaction score
My guess is Tommy Conway. Possibly pick up for relatively cheap compared to others.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My guess is Tommy Conway. Possibly pick up for relatively cheap compared to others.

It's been suggested that we will only do a loan.

Can't imagine they would agree to a loan even with an obligation? Only six points off the play-offs.

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Oh no. I'm absolutely gutted that I've not yet made the jump to being 'solid and worthwhile reading' for Pseudonym on Molineux Mix.

I'll keep trying. You've got a high opinion of yourself, which doesn't surprise me.

As we agreed on, everything posted on here is an opinion of a poster.

Are you going on Sunday?

Your opinion is that I have a high opinion of myself.

This is like a Christopher Nolan film

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Despite the stick I get on here, I can see I'm not in the minority really among Wolves fans. Social media (actual fans) has many of the same concerns raised, The Wolves Forum is similar and even Keen and Judah have said similar to me, albeit not as strong, which is understandable.
Ah yes, the same "actual fans" that were also absolutely convinced the owners were asset stripping in the summer. GON said he was disappointed a couple of our main targets fell through and you immediately pointed the finger at the owners as if it was an investment issue, despite everything that's happened over the last couple of months regarding FFP. You don't seem to learn.

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
Ah yes, the same "actual fans" that were also absolutely convinced the owners were asset stripping in the summer. GON said he was disappointed a couple of our main targets fell through and you immediately pointed the finger at the owners as if it was an investment issue, despite everything that's happened over the last couple of months regarding FFP. You don't seem to learn.

Had to laugh at “social media (actual fans)” being referenced with any semblance of credibility.

Social media being the entrenched home of mis and disinformation — and arguably one of the biggest undermining factors in democracy globally.

Yeah, that’s a sound reference point for an argument

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You don't seem to read.

My main issue was letting Sasa and Silva go without replacing one of them.

I have said on multiple occasions that I was happy to do no business this month.

If we go into the final 17 games with Nathan Fraser as the only striker I absolutely will blame the owners, but it's nothing to do with investment. We could've kept Sasa and I'd have been happy with out squad. We could've loaned Brereton Diaz and I would've been happy.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You don't seem to read.

I have said on multiple occasions that I was happy to do no business this month.

If we go into the final 17 games with Nathan Fraser as the only striker I absolutely will blame the owners, but it's nothing to do with investment. We could've kept Sasa and I'd have been happy with out squad. We could've loaned Brereton Diaz and I would've been happy.
Poor Gaz doesn't realise how it works here, fell for the old trick of believing the liars.
So, who are the liars then? Are you suggesting he was promised a striker when he loaned out Silva and Sasa? Do you think he wasn't a part of the conversations that led to their departures?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oooo pages and pages of new posts on the transfer thread, must be a signing coming in…

Ah, no, it’s just another lengthy “present opinion as indisputable fact” tirade from WeAreTheWolvesII. Silly me.
After a rubbish day at work this has made me laugh very hard, cheers pal!!

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You don't seem to read.

That's what ****s me off is a player could have stayed for cover until we got someone in .

They need game time I keep hearing or the wages off the books . We have one of the lowest wage outgoings in the league since we let go of players and sold them in the summer.

Just seems very Wolves like to me . Little communication between the top and the manager and then plan A goes to plan F . I seem to remember these types of things happening with other managers before GON .

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So, who are the liars then? Are you suggesting he was promised a striker when he loaned out Silva and Sasa? Do you think he wasn't a part of the conversations that led to their departures?

Yes. I think he was told Sasa and Silva needed to go if he wanted a new striker brought in. So he agreed to that, and has then been told yesterday he won't get the first-choice striker he wants. That's what I think has happened.

Last edited:

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
Yes. I think he was told Sasa and Silva needed to go if he wanted a new striker brought in. So he agreed to that, and has then been told yesterday he won't get the big-name striker he wants. That's what I think has happened.

“The big name striker” in the January transfer window when we don’t have any money to spend and mentioned repeatedly that we’d likely only be doing loans.

What club is losing a big name striker in January without applying an absurd premium to cover their loss - an absurd premium likely in the form of an obligation. It’s not the market for us. Furthest thing from what we can accomodate right now financially. Surely you get this?

Neither Sasa or Silva were playing and it’s fairly clear GON prefers to play with out of position alternatives that can do what we wants — such is their tactical imposition on this team.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“The big name striker” in the January transfer window when we don’t have any money to spend and mentioned repeatedly that we’d likely only be doing loans.

What club is losing a big name striker in January without applying an absurd premium to cover their loss - an absurd premium likely in the form of an obligation. It’s not the market for us. Furthest thing from what we can accomodate right now financially. Surely you get this?

Neither Sasa or Silva were playing and it’s fairly clear GON prefers to play with out of position alternatives that can do what we wants — such is their tactical imposition on this team.

I was counting Ings or Broja as the big-name striker, from O'Neil's perspective.

Have changed to first-choice to avoid confusion. But, the above point still stands. I think he agreed to let Sasa and Silva go as he was told he could get a player like Ings/Broja in (someone with experience, less of a punt). However, it now seems he won't.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was counting Ings or Broja as the big-name striker, from O'Neil's perspective.

Have changed to first-choice to avoid confusion. But, the above point still stands. I think he agreed to let Sasa and Silva go as he was told he could get a player like Ings/Broja in (someone with experience, less of a punt). However, it now seems he won't.
it’s not that it seems we won’t, he specifically says “we’re now looking at other options”

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score

Perhaps we should wait to see what the Broja deal looks like for whoever does get him and then judge accordingly.

If it’s Fulham/West Ham and a flat loan without an obligation then that probably suggests our finances are so tight his wage his too high.

But I feel both clubs are more likely to be able to wade into the obligation market at a £30m than we are.

It’s been stated our market is now under £20m generally. At what is quoted, Broja doesn’t fit.

Hell. West Ham could still get Broja and then we could get Ings on loan. There’s so much to still play out

Woolywolf

Reaction score
I have no issue with our financial constraints, now or during the summer. But I can’t understand the moving goal posts and lack of transparency with the head coach. GON was clearly grateful for his appointment, but as his stock rises it won’t take long for that to change

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We seem to be awfully fixated on the words of a man who's happy to tell RAN to go down with an injury so he can get a quick word in to the players. I'm not trying to denigrate the man, but I don't think now is a time where we take anything Gary is saying as anything more than doing his part for PR.

He's been saying "we're short, we're short, we need someone" and now he's pulling back on that. He had his meeting and I'm sure they went into detail and were all frank on the situation. It would be stupid to have him say anything that isn't aligned with what the club are trying to do, which is negotiate the best they can and see if they can get over the line.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes. I think he was told Sasa and Silva needed to go if he wanted a new striker brought in. So he agreed to that, and has then been told yesterday he won't get the first-choice striker he wants. That's what I think has happened.
Fair enough. I do think we'll get somebody in, I just don't think we should overpay, and that's the stance I think the club is trying to take with some of these top targets. GON wants somebody to improve us, that's difficult in January.

I'd also be reluctant to get somebody like Adams in, or Ings on massive wages, because we'll be looking to upgrade them again in the summer and that outlay now is money we wouldn't have in the summer. IMV, we get some real quality in at an affordable price in January (far easier said than done), or stick with Fraser as a backup because we have very little to lose. Sasa and Silva weren't the answer regardless, for very different reasons.

dnf14

Reaction score
Could it be that Chelsea's valuation of Broja is disappointing as it is somewhat high
Or we've been trying to negotiate an option to buy but Chelsea are saying "no dice, minimum obligation" we obviously don't want as we're trying to turn a significant profit for this PSR period.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
On balance of probabilities, I think you are right.

I know there is an argument he is manipulating the press and that when he says something, he means something else. And that could be true...

But if you take what Gary says on face value, he clearly wanted a new striker and expected that, once Fabio and Sasa were loaned out, he would be provided with one.

Last edited:

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The club were forced into a difficult summer full of sales to turn a big profit and adhere to the Premier League’s profit and sustainability rules, with limited scope to make additions in January.
Wolves have still been prioritising signing a striker this month, however, with O’Neil keen to bolster his attacking options.
Now, after a meeting with the Wolves hierarchy on Tuesday, O’Neil has admitted the club’s ability to bring in top targets has worsened as they are priced out by parent clubs.
He said: “A lot of work was going into trying to recruit a certain type and it’s now been made clear financially that we can’t afford that type.
“So that search stops and we look at other options.
“If something comes up, which it might do, that I believe will improve us and can be done with the financial restraints we have, then we will. But at this moment, the ones we thought we could do, we can’t afford.”
O’Neil added: “The financial side of why, I’m not 100 per cent clear on. Financial fair play or the position of the club financially, but it’s just clear we still need to be very, very careful and even more careful than we thought when I spoke to you guys last week about the targets we were looking at.

Back
Top Bottom