Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Cos he is a yes man following orders from above…
It's genuinely funny- Gary actually hasn't got a clue what Hobbs and Jeff are going to do next.

GON on Mosquera 19/1/24:-

"Hopefully the opportunity arises for him in the next few weeks and I can have a look at him in real football, when the chips are down and it means something, and see how he does.

"But so far I've really like him. The opportunities are there because we are quite light numbers-wise at this moment. Hopefully he does well."

Date of Mosquera loan - 21/1/24

GON on Sasa 29/12/23

"Sasa is still firmly part of the plans at the moment. He's a consideration every time we pick at team and every time we make a sub.

"At this moment in time, with the numbers we have, Sasa definitely won't be going anywhere."

Date of Sasa loan 7/1/24

Links below:-

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's genuinely funny- Gary actually hasn't got a clue what Hobbs and Jeff are going to do next.

"Hopefully the opportunity arises for him in the next few weeks and I can have a look at him in real football, when the chips are down and it means something, and see how he does.

"But so far I've really like him. The opportunities are there because we are quite light numbers-wise at this moment. Hopefully he does well."

GON on Sasa 29/12/23

"Sasa is still firmly part of the plans at the moment. He's a consideration every time we pick at team and every time we make a sub.

"At this moment in time, with the numbers we have, Sasa definitely won't be going anywhere."

Date of Sasa loan 7/1/24

Just because he says something doesn't really mean much. If he's asked about a player, he's going to answer.

I'd rather Yerson get minutes right away. Now if he goes to Virrareal and sits on the bench, then it's a bad move. But if he's going to play, it's great.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just because he says something doesn't really mean much. If he's asked about a player, he's going to answer.

I'd rather Yerson get minutes right away. Now if he goes to Virrareal and sits on the bench, then it's a bad move. But if he's going to play, it's great.
Gary O'Neil himself said "The opportunities are there [for Yerson] because we are quite light numbers-wise at this moment." And yet you are adamant he would rot on the bench.

Are you calling Gary a liar? Or you think you know better about potential opportunities than Gary does?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

GON on Sasa 29/12/23

Date of Sasa loan 7/1/24

Total yes man as we all knew when he came in

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Total yes man as we all knew when he came in

I think GON took the job on knowing he would have to be a yes man and tow the line, he simply didnt have the reputation to be anything else if he wanted a premier league job. With the way things are going, he's enhancing his reputation, he's doing a good job right now so i'm sure he could put his foot down with them if the need arises.

Last edited:

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary O'Neil himself said "The opportunities are there [for Yerson] because we are quite light numbers-wise at this moment." And yet you are adamant he would rot on the bench.

Are you calling Gary a liar? Or you think you know better about potential opportunities than Gary does?
He’s also second reserve so contrary to the above he won’t get that much.
i’d rather keep him for numbers but understand why he’s going.
who would you drop for him?

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good to see Yerson go to Villareal on loan, far better than bench warming here after a good season in the US.

We can and do play a four quite often so if an injury or two hits it is no big deal at all.

That said, not sure how this fits the future really. Dawson is doing great but is he really gonna be the starter next year? Part of me thinks we should perhaps bleed a youngster or two in given the season is basically over in terms of what we are going to achieve. We certainly won't be gatecrashing europe and won't be going down.

JTWolf

Groupie
Reaction score

GON on Sasa 29/12/23

Date of Sasa loan 7/1/24

Managers and players are briefed by the media/pr team of what they should and shouldn’t be saying. So they influence a lot.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fully stocked in midfield we have 4 players for 2 positions and there’s Hodge and Bellegarde could play there too.
Wouldn't surprise me if Hubner could be regarded as a 5th CM if push comes to shove, the way he seems to be developing
I guess that means Pond/Hubner as the 5th centre back or Doherty if there’s a disaster during a game
Lemina can drop back if necessary. It would still allow a flexible defensive/midfield situation during a game.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Great move for Mosquera, if he gets some game time in La Liga that will develop him massively. I also think (not 100%) that his first language is Spanish, so that will help.

As for O’Neil saying one thing and another happening, nothing new in football. Certainly doesn’t make him a yes man.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disappointed mosquera has gone . I just don't ever see us moving forwards much at all apart from bobbing around mid table to bottom half of prem with the approach imo .At times you need to play players and give them a chance .

Ideal season to do that for us as we aren't going to probably go down so why not give some players game time in the prem to see what they can do .

Last edited:

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Woke up this morning thinking about what an amazing job O Neil had done, firstly convincing Jef to give him the gig, then somehow or other getting a majority of the players to trust his tactics and finally winning over the serious doubters of which I was one. For me actions speak louder than words, all managers talk rubbish some are better at it than others.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a pathetic and embarrassing comment
Happened under nuno
Happened under lage
Happened under JL
Now happening under GO

Say one thing and do another. Or shall I say the club promising them things they can’t fulfill. Above all wanted money and players. Oneil come here knowing this. It makes him sound silly to us the fans and the player in question when in the media going on about giving a chance. Next thing they are gone

Last edited:

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great move for Mosquera, if he gets some game time in La Liga that will develop him massively. I also think (not 100%) that his first language is Spanish, so that will help.

As for O’Neil saying one thing and another happening, nothing new in football. Certainly doesn’t make him a yes man.

agreed , plus Mario is Gary’s option if required at CB.

Madmalc

Reaction score
I get the disappointment on Mosquera going to Villareal.
This does look like a sensible progression for him.
Afterall both he and Connor Ronan were top performers in the MLS, so it will interesting to see how he does.
The move is likely to add valuable experience and value to Mosequera whereas languishing on the bench wouldn't.
Let's hope he smashes it.

Rowzed

Reaction score
Happened under nuno
Happened under lage
Happened under JL
Now happening under GO

Say one thing and do another. Or shall I say then club promising them things they can’t fulfill. Above all wanted money and players. Oneil come here knowing this. It makes him sound silly to us the fans and the player in question when in the media going on about giving a chance. Next thing they are gone
I agree previous coaches have been frustrated by this sort of behaviour, though some pretend to be frustrated but are actually complicit.

i can’t believe this has happened entirely without GON’s knowledge and I think it’s right for the lad and the club . All managers want more players and most will say the ‘right’ thing if quizzed in a presser. All clubs want to see their assets develop and I can’t think of a better move for him at this time.. Hobbs and GON are about as close as any DoF and Manager could possibly be.

They have a promising young player, a club that plays in La Liga ask after him, he is definitely not ready for the PL. They will speak with coach and player in detail about the pros and cons of any move.

How many young defenders actually get time off the bench? He would be useful if two of the senior players are injured, but for his development and for us next season, it is far better that he gets game time week in, week out at Villarreal, I just hope he gets to play every week there because he would not play a single full game here this season and would likely join Hodge, on the bench if he’s lucky and on the pitch in a crisis.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree previous coaches have been frustrated by this sort of behaviour, though some pretend to be frustrated but are actually complicit.

i can’t believe this has happened entirely without GON’s knowledge and I think it’s right for the lad and the club . All managers want more players and most will say the ‘right’ thing if quizzed in a presser. All clubs want to see their assets develop and I can’t think of a better move for him at this time.. Hobbs and GON are about as close as any DoF and Manager could possibly be.

They have a promising young player, a club that plays in La Liga ask after him, he is definitely not ready for the PL. They will speak with coach and player in detail about the pros and cons of any move.

How many young defenders actually get time off the bench? He would be useful if two of the senior players are injured, but for his development and for us next season, it is far better that he gets game time week in, week out at Villarreal, I just hope he gets to play every week there because he would not play a single full game here this season and would likely join Hodge, on the bench if he’s lucky and on the pitch in a crisis.
Gon assesses Gon has signed off.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
O’Neil lies regularly to the press.

Bournemouth fans mentioned it before he joined. You can’t really take anything he says at face value whether it’s injuries/transfers.

I understand why he does it, even if I disagree.

Rowzed

Reaction score
If I was H.Bueno, Boubacar or Fraser, I would be trying to understand from Hobbs why I have to rot on the bench while Mosquera gets a loan?
In most games a midfielder, wing back or striker is the first sub. A defender very rarely. If we start with 3 Central defenders on the pitch and have Santi or Toti on the bench, more often than not we would stay with the 3 that start or sub one off And go to a 4

with 5 subs the players you mention have every chance of being needed, Yerson not, unless there are a few injuries Or suspensions

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
In most games a midfielder, wing back or striker is the first sub. A defender very rarely. If we start with 3 Central defenders on the pitch and have Santi or Toti on the bench, more often than not we would stay with the 3 that start or sub one off And go to a 4

with 5 subs the players you mention have every chance of being needed, Yerson not, unless there are a few injuries Or suspensions
Also CB is one of those positions where players really need to play to learn their craft. They seem to grow into the position later than others, but like you say they're rarely the first sub.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

The first off the bench are Doherty (both sides), Doyle and JRB though. So Hugo, Boubacar and Fraser are not the ones called on- exactly the position Mosquera would be in if one of the CBs got injured or got a red.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope Yerson does well over there, should be great experience. We’ll save ourselves quite a bit of cash if we can develop him into a first team ready player. Has all the right attributes. Think this move will do far more for him than sitting on our bench for 3/4 months.

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
Happened under nuno
Happened under lage
Happened under JL
Now happening under GO

Say one thing and do another. Or shall I say then club promising them things they can’t fulfill. Above all wanted money and players. Oneil come here knowing this. It makes him sound silly to us the fans and the player in question when in the media going on about giving a chance. Next thing they are gone

What a very curious time to roll back the big anti-establishment sentiment. There have been countless and correct times to complain about obfuscated messaging -- pretty much any time period within the last 4 years..... except for right now, as things seem generally decent. Very very peculiar from you indeed.

And to be even more frank, I don't think you have the faintest idea what has or hasn't been promised internally. We all know the same amount, which incidentally happens to be the same as the number of goals Fabio Silva scored in the Premier League this season.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a very curious time to roll back the big anti-establishment sentiment. There have been countless and correct times to complain about obfuscated messaging -- pretty much any time period within the last 4 years..... except for right now, as things seem generally decent. Very very peculiar from you indeed.

And to be even more frank, I don't think you have the faintest idea what has or hasn't been promised internally. We all know the same amount, which incidentally happens to be the same as the number of goals Fabio Silva scored in the Premier League this season.
Facts aren’t they. Reoccurring pattern same thing happening under different managers. Let’s wait until the summer. I’m sure there will be more instances!

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally understand loaning Yerson out
When did he last play for us?
No point in him bench warming if he even does that,get out and get some minutes
Managers arent going to explain every detail of players to the media,they will say what the players want to hear mostly
GON is no different to any manager in the league,he will say enough to appease his audience, then say the matter was out of his control if things go different
Personally i dont care,as long as results are going our way

Back
Top Bottom