Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The other problem is ONeil will hardly have any rotation options. Game on Sunday after today and Neto and Cunha getting run into the ground is not good.
Ofcourse it's not! I can't see how anyone can think it's fine to loan out Silva and Kalajdzic (no obligation/option to buy) and not bring anyone in... We are a couple of injuries away from a big problem with our forwards...

Saying this season is just about staying up is nonsense by the way and doesn't mean because we are doing better than expected we can leave the squad completely in balanced for a large part of the season.

Really like Hobbs and think he is doing a very good job but this would be a mistake.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Usual pant wetters out in force, get the "You've let us down again" banners out lads. Some back up to cover injuries would have been nice and the chance to make more changes during a game, but glad we haven't been held to ransom by Chelsea or by Alberto's agent. There is no real issue this season, save it for the summer when more options will be available. We're coping fine at the moment with Cunha, Neto, Bellegarde / Sarabia, and still have Hwang to come back from the Asian cup. Don't think Fraser is quite ready, but he's fine for an option from the bench or if we lose two of Cunha / Neto / Bellegard / Hwang to injury. Sarabia can also fill in. Everyone in the squad seems really happy and there is great team spirit so any mercenary we bring in could upset the apple cart.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've been as proactive as it was possible for us in this window. We've tried with 3-4 realistic players and they've fell through for reasons totally beyond the club's control. If a club decides not to sell, an agent decides to get greedy and scupper the deal, a club goes insane and starts demanding ridiculous terms or a player just decides he doesn't want o come or wants to go elsewhere what is the club supposed to do? The club has been clear from the start the financial restrictions we are under, the kind of player they wanted and that they weren't just going to sign squad fillers just to get bodies in.
They are not supposed to let players go before a replacement comes in. Like every other club in the world does. It's pretty simple.

I actually thought it would be impossible to defend the club on here for this reason.

We all know how (supposedly) hard January is, nobody really argues with that. So keep our strikers until we get one in.

There are two reasons for us being so stupid:

1. Fosun are in a truly desperate situation to the extent they had to get people off the wage bill.

2. The people making the decisions are arrogant/complacent beyond belief to the extent they presumed they'd be able to get a deal done anyway with three weeks left in the window.

We actually have to hope it's the second option, and, if it is, people need replacing. Unfortunately, aside from Hobbs, those behind the scenes have used up too many chances.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Usual pant wetters out in force, get the "You've let us down again" banners out lads. Some back up to cover injuries would have been nice and the chance to make more changes during a game, but glad we haven't been held to ransom by Chelsea or by Alberto's agent. There is no real issue this season, save it for the summer when more options will be available. We're coping fine at the moment with Cunha, Neto, Bellegarde / Sarabia, and still have Hwang to come back from the Asian cup. Don't think Fraser is quite ready, but he's fine for an option from the bench or if we lose two of Cunha / Neto / Bellegard / Hwang to injury. Bellegarde can also fill in. Everyone in the squad seems really happy and there is great team spirit so any mercenary we bring in could upset the apple cart.
It's boring in one sense, same handful of names all out en masse with the doom and gloom ready to go.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Usual pant wetters out in force, get the "You've let us down again" banners out lads. Some back up to cover injuries would have been nice and the chance to make more changes during a game, but glad we haven't been held to ransom by Chelsea or by Alberto's agent. There is no real issue this season, save it for the summer when more options will be available. We're coping fine at the moment with Cunha, Neto, Bellegarde / Sarabia, and still have Hwang to come back from the Asian cup. Don't think Fraser is quite ready, but he's fine for an option from the bench or if we lose two of Cunha / Neto / Bellegard / Hwang to injury. Sarabia can also fill in. Everyone in the squad seems really happy and there is great team spirit so any mercenary we bring in could upset the apple cart.

Why do you gladly have a dig at posters when O'Neil has said the same thing? Genuine question, by the way.

O'Neil has said time and time again that the squad is not how he would like, and that we are short for attacking options. Is he a pant wetter? Should he have the banner out tonight?

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are not supposed to let players go before a replacement comes in. Like every other club in the world does. It's pretty simple.

I actually thought it would be impossible to defend the club on here for this reason.

We all know how (supposedly) hard January is, nobody really argues with that. So keep our strikers until we get one in.

1. Fosun are in a truly desperate situation to the extent they had to get people off the wage bill.

2. The people making the decisions are arrogant/complacent beyond belief to the extent they presumed they'd be able to get a deal done anyway with three weeks left in the window.

We actually have to hope it's the second option, and, if it is, people need replacing. Unfortunately, aside from Hobbs, those behind the scenes have used up too many chances.
3. Neither play wants to sit on the bench and GON wants to maintain a happy ship. Neither 'options' loaned out are getting game time with all fit, so let's loan them out, promote a young lad for now and see if we can get someone happy to be on the bench.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do you gladly have a dig at posters when O'Neil has said the same thing? Genuine question, by the way.

O'Neil has said time and time again that the squad is not how he would like, and that we are short for attacking options. Is he a pant wetter? Should he have the banner out tonight?
It's a manager perogative to want more, you think GON is absolutely blindsided by the management team not being able to get someone in given the rug was pulled underneath re Yuri and Chelsea playing funny ****ers?

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's boring in one sense, same handful of names all out en masse with the doom and gloom ready to go.
This place would be rather boring if we all had the same opinion...

I'm loving this season and the work the club are doing but I have to admit I feel it is a mistake to leave us so short... Something O'Neil himself has said lately.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doyle wasn't run into the ground, he start suffering from neurological problems due to heading the ball.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seen players over the years struggle with fatigue like Doyle and Keogh after been run into the ground .
I’m not convinced fatigue was the reason Doyle hit the woodwork weekly or was the reason Keogh was basically rubbish

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
****ing hell if you agree with our manager’s assessment that we are light on numbers up top and need a striker you’re a “boring pant wetter”. Ridiculous. Swear some people just take joy in talking down to people on here.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3. Neither play wants to sit on the bench and GON wants to maintain a happy ship. Neither 'options' loaned out are getting game time with all fit, so let's loan them out, promote a young lad for now and see if we can get someone happy to be on the bench.
Sasa would have played a lot in the last few weeks without Hwang.

The idea that you don't need players if they aren't in the XI is stupid, which is why O'Neil has said the squad is too small.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This place would be rather boring if we all had the same opinion...

I'm loving this season and the work the club are doing but I have to admit I feel it is a mistake to leave us so short... Something O'Neil himself has said lately.
It's just a rather boring 'the world is falling, everyone is failing!' Mentality when even the slightest thing goes wrong.

It's like c'mon lads, enjoy it, even if we are left with Fraser then enjoy a local lad getting his chance.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a manager perogative to want more, you think GON is absolutely blindsided by the management team not being able to get someone in given the rug was pulled underneath re Yuri and Chelsea playing funny ****ers?

He didn't want MORE.

He wanted the two that went out replaced. In fact, he would've probably settled for one.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Who are these others behind the scenes?

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sasa would have played a lot in the last few weeks without Hwang.

The idea that you don't need players if they aren't in the XI is stupid, which is why O'Neil has said the squad is too small.
Would he? Doubtful.

You need a squad player who's happy to sit on the bench, we aren't getting first XI material in January.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He didn't want MORE.

He wanted the two that went out replaced. In fact, he would've probably settled for one.
And he's part of process and one hasn't emerged, so he's going to work with what he's got. You know he's an ex-player as well so has some inkling I'd imagine of how difficult to negotiate the Jan window is, and I'll reiterate, you think loaning Sasa and Fabio doesn't get his approval?

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's just a rather boring 'the world is falling, everyone is failing!' Mentality when even the slightest thing goes wrong.

It's like c'mon lads, enjoy it, even if we are left with Fraser then enjoy a local lad getting his chance.
absolutely, Inget disappointment but some of the hyperbole is ott for me
Who are these others behind the scenes?
I’d like to know this too.
I just think financially we were closer than we’ve admitted. mistakes have happened, we are learning from them hopefully!

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What I don't get is letting two strikers go at the same time. That seems mad to me. I know they weren't in Gary's plans but who thought that one up when we are down to the bare bones?
They never played. They weren't happy. We were paying their wages. And we need to sell both in the summer. If they don't play it's harder to sell them.

There have been times the club deserved a hammering at the end if the transfer window. The last 3 windows are not those.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I like Fraser and if he gets a chance then great hope he does well just think it's a bit unfair to put that responsibility on an 18 year old who has a couple of first team appearances..

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but just feel its a mistake... It is what it is i am a little disappointed but still happy overall with how everything is at the moment not end of the world mentality..

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So we should say to players 'sorry lads, the manager doesn't rate you, you've got no real chance of playing but we are going to force you to stay here and do nothing just in case we get a raft of injuries and need bench fillers or can't sign the replacements for you we are actively pursuing'

Good luck with signing players we want when that spreads around the agent's network. I'd rather my club act in an honourable way and put player welfare front and centre of how they operate.

And if we had have kept Fabio or Sasa and they were called on for any reason just how motivated to play well do you think they'd be?

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like Fraser and if he gets a chance then great hope he does well just think it's a bit unfair to put that responsibility on an 18 year old who has a couple of first team appearances..

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but just feel its a mistake... It is what it is i am a little disappointed but still happy overall with how everything is at the moment not end of the world mentality..

Noo its not like our fanbase to ridicule an 18 year old for not being quite upto speed with first team football ....

*looks at Silva and MGW*

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's not a responsibility, it's a chance, take it. Football is an opportunities based career and players have to do their best when presented otherwise they generally won't make it. So is it rough if Fraser is the man, sure, but that's part of being a professional football and often weeds out those who really want to make it, and those who have the talent physically but not mentality.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And he's part of process and one hasn't emerged, so he's going to work with what he's got. You know he's an ex-player as well so has some inkling I'd imagine of how difficult to negotiate the Jan window is, and I'll reiterate, you think loaning Sasa and Fabio doesn't get his approval?

I believe he was told he needed to loan out Sasa and Silva to get a replacement.

O'Neil, who doesn't have experience of what these are actually like, believed this would happen. It looks unlikely to happen, and he's left with a weaker squad.

So he trusted them, wrongly. I doubt he will make the same mistake again.

DJW

Reaction score
Didn't GON say that Sasa was going no where as we were light in striker options, or is my memory incorrect?

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score

GON knows the score. After some initial appearances he never used Fabio or Sasa again, and I agreed with that decision, just not good enough. He was never going to play them again and they had started to grumble, so get them off the books. I'm sure he would love a few new faces too, but I think he's also happy with the committed players he has, even if he wants a bit more.

I'm all for balanced conversation. I mean I would like a new striker who fits in too, it's just the unrelenting negativity and stuff like "abysmal" and "down to bare bones" that drives me crazy. Not being held to ransom or unable to buy when most clubs won't sell or loan is not abysmal and we are nowhere near down to the bare bones. I'm sure GON understands that too, partcularly in this current FFP climate and won't be whining on about it to Hobbs. We have Cunha, Neto, Hwang, Bellegarde and Fraser fighting for three places. We have Traore, Joao Gomes, Doyle, Lemina fighting for two places. The sky won't fall in if we don't get a striker this window and GON won't be doing an interview with Guillem Balague to complain about it either. I have no doubt that Hobbs and GON are on the same page with this and understand the situation.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe he was told he needed to loan out Sasa and Silva to get a replacement.

O'Neil, who doesn't have experience of what these are actually like, believed this would happen. It looks unlikely to happen, and he's left with a weaker squad.
You believe a manager who he himself was sold during a January window has no idea how difficult it is? He's a pretty perceptive bloke from what we've seen in his time in the job so far.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, I do think that.

You should credit both O'Neil and Hobbs a lot more than that. Absolutely no club ever could guarantee a replacement in that situation.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I could understand letting Sasa or Fabio go out on loan but not both.

If push comes to shove then Gary would have to have used them because there is no one else, but to let BOTH options go without getting anyone else in is ridiculous.

Fraser, by default, becomes the next option but surely keeping either Sasa or Fabio around meant Fraser would already have gone out on loan. I get that decisions are made to benefit players, but surely if that's to the detriment of the club then we need to be a bit more grown up about things

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would be disappointing if we can't get any reinforcements in before the deadline. Is it the end of the world? No, we can save that money for the summer, and then make a proper push for Europe next season. We'll be in a much better position financially than most sides going into the summer, most clubs will be selling rather than buying due to FFP.

Realistically we aren't getting relegated and it's unlikely we'll make a sustained push for Europe. Let's see what Nathan Fraser can do when the opportunities present themself, in my mind he was already ahead of Sasa and Silva in the pecking order.

GON said he didn't want players that wouldn't improve us. It's not for lack of trying that nothing has materialised.

As always though, a select few will paint it as a doomsday scenario if nothing happens between now and 11pm.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not how I read it tbh, but then I'm trying to adopt some centre ground here and like others don't want to be fleeced by a club or agent.
Some folk are naturally concerned that we have limited resources and I'm sure like yourself would like an FA Cup Final and another trip into Europe.
I did say on another thread that recent form has understandably lifted expectations, but to realistically expect those within the present squad to continue the performances of late imo has to be questionable.
Cunha for example looked run into the ground on Sunday but we'll still expect him to deliver this evening and again on Sunday.
There appears to be little slack in the system to rest a player, for example.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Letting Gary down like this is disappointing. However he must now use the likes of Chirewa and Fraser to bolster our ranks

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not how I read it tbh, but then I'm trying to adopt some centre ground here and like others don't want to be fleeced by a club or agent.
Some folk are naturally concerned that we have limited resources and I'm sure like yourself would like an FA Cup Final and another trip into Europe.
I did say on another thread that recent form has understandably lifted expectations, but to realistically expect those within the present squad to continue the performances of late imo has to be questionable.
Cunha for example looked run into the ground on Sunday but we'll still expect him to deliver this evening and again on Sunday.
There appears to be little slack in the system to rest a player, for example.
We have limited resources, but you can't have players here who don't want to be, not when the ethos of GON's management/dressing room is team spirit and having a happy camp, voices causing disruption are removed. Even the examples at other clubs are Arteta removing Aubamayang as soon as possible because he was ruining the dressing room harmony.

Back
Top Bottom