Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think it’s been widely reported we must sell in order to buy in this specific window unfortunately
OK. Terrible to think we must have about £80 mil of players out on loan (Silva, Sasa, Guedes, Podence) - what we could do with that money now esp as I doubt any of those 4 are likely to play for us again.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In what world has Rice been a one season wonder? He’s been consistently good since he hit the first team.

Re your last paragraph do you think the decision maker on this (Hobbs) would be as naive as to take the first offer made? Of course he wouldn’t. However like any transfer there’s a point where people move on. Kilman isn’t a £50 million defender, Neto isn’t a £100 million forward, if we hold out for those figures we simply don’t get it.
So how did Brighton get £100m for Caciedo ( the one season wonder I meant) then?

If other clubs aren’t willing to pay what we want then let them jog on.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
OK. Terrible to think we must have about £80 mil of players out on loan (Silva, Sasa, Guedes, Podence) - what we could do with that money now esp as I doubt any of those 4 are likely to play for us again.
Bang on. Shocking isn’t it

Podence £16.9m
Guedes £28.8m
Fabio £36m
Sasa 15m
Jordao £7.5m

£104.4m down the toilet, we will be lucky to recoup half of that.

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score

It's this level of utter wastefulness that has placed us so firmly under the FFP thumb.

The new role of Hobbs and more integrated way of working with the recruitment team should hopefully mitigate this rather ridiculous situation of having so much money tied up in players not playing for us.

We're not a big or rich enough club to accommodate such colossal mistakes.

Milijas

Reaction score

Podence £16.9m
Guedes £28.8m
Fabio £36m
Sasa 15m
Jordao £7.5m

Half? That wouldn't be luck that would be a miracle.
Honestly I think we would struggle to get a third (£34.5m) and most of that would have to come from Sasa.
We won't see £1m for Jordao.
Crazy..

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So how did Brighton get £100m for Caciedo ( the one season wonder I meant) then?

If other clubs aren’t willing to pay what we want then let them jog on.
He’s a one season wonder on the basis he’s only completed one season, his qualities are there to be seen. A young Wayne Rooney had only completed one season when Fergie came knocking. Difference is Neto has had a few seasons now. I’m not knocking him, I’m knocking the sheer overvaluing of him. I’ll say it again. He’s a forward who had scored 3 league goals in 3 seasons, who do you think is spending £100 million on that? We will do very well to get anything past £60 million, exceptionally well.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly I think we would struggle to get a third (£34.5m) and most of that would have to come from Sasa.
Crazy..
We will most likely get around £40m that’s bad considering the outlay

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Podence £16.9m
Guedes £28.8m
Fabio £36m
Sasa 15m
Jordao £7.5m

One could make a valid argument that Podence’s goals kept us up last season and therefore we make a lot of tv money.

Last edited:

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Crazy..

Did we pay 7.5 for Jordao?

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Give him away his wages are big. The fact nobody wants him is quite telling. Not even forest

Few things that could materialise

Jose Sa to Saudi/Forest
Kilman to West Ham/Man Utd

Unfortunately all clubs involved need to make sales first. Expect a late scramble from some
Not a chance we sell any of the key core group of players this window....Not a chance....

We wil bring in a couple of loans....

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a chance we sell any of the key core group of players this window....Not a chance....

We wil bring in a couple of loans....
My point exactly. In order to buy we have to sell. G.O has said tough window. Percy & Phillips have said the same thing. It will heat up at the end I’m sure. As always

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My point exactly. In order to buy we have to sell. G.O has said tough window. Percy & Phillips have said the same thing. It will heat up at the end I’m sure. As always
It hasn't been our intention to buy or spend from day 1,.....couple of loans, loan option...

This window will be a damp squid across the board I reckon in the premier league...like no other window has ever been....I think only Spurs will sign anybody.....for the the only hotting up will be teams trying to offload players towards the end , like us with Jordao n Jonny.....that will be all teams mindful of FFP in the league.....

Wouldn't suprise if we go all out for Ekitike on loan option and that will probably be it....apart from a few leaving like Jonny m Jordao.....if not given away on frees when the window shuts....

I can also see clubs like west ham doing nothing...no clubs in the premier league are desperate this season, where they need to push finances...sours desperation is down to injuries...the rest will look at slightly cutting costs in my opinion, not expenditure.....

Last edited:

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It hasn't been our intention to buy or spend from day 1,.....couple of loans, loan option...

This window will be a damp squid across the board I reckon in the premier league...like no other window has ever been....I think only Spurs will sign anybody.....for the the only hotting up will be teams trying to offload players towards the end , like us with Jordao n Jonny.....that will be all teams mindful of FFP in the league.....

Wouldn't suprise if we go all out for Ekitike on loan option and that will probably be it....apart from a few leaving like Jonny m Jordao.....if not given away on frees when the window shuts....

I can also see clubs like west ham doing nothing...no clubs in the premier league are desperate this season, where they need to push finances...sours desperation is down to injuries...the rest will look at slightly cutting costs in my opinion, not expenditure.....
If I were a squid, I’d prefer to be damp than dry but preferably wet.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jonny being offloaded if possible for 2.5m. we want him Gone
Makes me sad how Jonny's Wolves career has ended

Was such a fantastic player for us before the first injury. I know he's been largely awful since (and understandably so after two severe injuries) and blotted his copybook with that incident but judging him on the whole he really doesn't deserve to be shuffled out the back door without any fanfare

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I were a squid, I’d prefer to be damp than dry but preferably wet.
I keep seeing references to “damp squid” but the phrase is “damp SQUIB”, (with a B) and this is because a squib is a fuse for explosives, and if it is damp it doesn’t work and fizzles out, hence the phrase.

Last edited:

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yep, they're known as wolves too

Give him away his wages are big. The fact nobody wants him is quite telling. Not even forest

Few things that could materialise

Jose Sa to Saudi/Forest
Kilman to West Ham/Man Utd

Unfortunately all clubs involved need to make sales first. Expect a late scramble from some
I can't imagine for one second we'd sell our first choice goalkeeper, and one of our best defenders this window.

Teddy Ruxpin

Groupie
Reaction score

Podence £16.9m
Guedes £28.8m
Fabio £36m
Sasa 15m
Jordao £7.5m

I'd keep podence out of that list, he paid for himself as he did actually contribute and probably covered his fee, similar to Johnny (although we'll get nothing for him)

The others have done nothing for us, maybe Sasa a little unlucky and Jordao was a punt along with neto. If you nill Jordao's fee and put it all on Neto it still looks decent business.

We've had some big flops, more recently and mainly when we spent more money that we should have 'ahem' but we've also had plenty of wins

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s a one season wonder on the basis he’s only completed one season, his qualities are there to be seen. A young Wayne Rooney had only completed one season when Fergie came knocking. Difference is Neto has had a few seasons now. I’m not knocking him, I’m knocking the sheer overvaluing of him. I’ll say it again. He’s a forward who had scored 3 league goals in 3 seasons, who do you think is spending £100 million on that? We will do very well to get anything past £60 million, exceptionally well.
Before his injuries he was seen as one of the most exciting young talents, not just in English football, but in world football. He's still only 23 and a full Portuguese international. Before his hamstring injury he was back to his very best. We're not talking Dele Alli here. If he played for anyone else and went for £80-90m no-one would bat an eyelid. Why shouldn't we massively overvalue him? Every other bloody club does with their players.

loppers86

Reaction score

Podence £16.9m
Guedes £28.8m
Fabio £36m
Sasa 15m
Jordao £7.5m

you don’t need to make a list.

Guedes £28m and he set about leaving on day 1.

Fraud.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will most likely get around £40m that’s bad considering the outlay
It certainly is.
However,amortisations(or whatever they called in english language)comes into play as well.
A portion of those expected losses is allready in the books so to speak.
Still horrendous biz though..

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Before his injuries he was seen as one of the most exciting young talents, not just in English football, but in world football. He's still only 23 and a full Portuguese international. Before his hamstring injury he was back to his very best. We're not talking Dele Alli here. If he played for anyone else and went for £80-90m no-one would bat an eyelid. Why shouldn't we massively overvalue him? Every other bloody club does with their players.
Forwards especially modern wide forwards as opposed to an old fashioned winger will be judged on goals. For a player “back to his best” his goal output was still woeful.

Speak for yourself if he played for someone else and signed for Chelsea at £90 million id be laughing . Plenty laughed at Newcastle for spending £40 million on Gordon, looks at his goal return.

Hes a talented boy, but while his goal return is what it is (circa 1 in 10 for his career) he’ll never be an elite talent.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Forwards especially modern wide forwards as opposed to an old fashioned winger will be judged on goals. For a player “back to his best” his goal output was still woeful.

Speak for yourself if he played for someone else and signed for Chelsea at £90 million id be laughing . Plenty laughed at Newcastle for spending £40 million on Gordon, looks at his goal return.

Hes a talented boy, but while his goal return is what it is (circa 1 in 10 for his career) he’ll never be an elite talent.
It's not just goals wide players are judged on though. Before his injury he led the league in assists. Whats the difference between 8 goals plus 0 assists and 1 goal plus 7 assists? He's still responsible for 8 goals

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I keep seeing references to “damp squid” but the phrase is “damp SQUIB”, (with a B) and this is because a squib is a fuse for explosives, and if it is damp it doesn’t work and fizzles out, hence the phrase.
If a squid isn't damp, I don't know what is ;)

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not just goals wide players are judged on though. Before his injury he led the league in assists. Whats the difference between 8 goals plus 0 assists and 1 goal plus 7 assists? He's still responsible for 8 goals
I never said it was just goals they’re judged on, however it is something they are judged on . Because at £90 million any club will be wanting both not just assists.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't imagine for one second we'd sell our first choice goalkeeper, and one of our best defenders this window.
Sell to replace mentality nothing will happen until the end of the window as always

Many clubs closing the purse strings due to ffp

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
will we do any signing while out in abu dhabi? idd be surprised now if any incoming isnt done when we are back for brentford

Reaction score
will we do any signing while out in abu dhabi? idd be surprised now if any incoming isnt done when we are back for brentford
Any incomings (if we do any at all that is!) are likely to be late in the window.

We do not have sufficient wriggle room with FFP to splash any significant cash and will only make an acquisition if it is right to do so in the medium to long-term. The position we have got to in the league has given us the breathing space not to panic and GON is happy to give the like of Chirewe a chance in the second half of the season if he has to.

Getting the likes of Jonny, Jordao and even Mosquera away (on loan) will help fund a loan signing but, as I say, that is likely to be very late in the month

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Squib, damp squib not squid. Squid are usually damp, but that's as close as they get. The phrase damp squib comes from a firework that's fails to explode or meet expectations.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn’t a squid damp anyway? That’s like saying ‘that was a bit of a breathing human’.

If a squid wasn’t damp wouldn’t it be blistered and dry? In which case the phrase has been used in the wrong way all this time.
There would also be far better uses for the phrase.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If a squid isn't damp, I don't know what is ;)

Anyone know if it's squib or squid? Could do with a few more opinions on the matter.

As the chief purveyor of useless information;

A squid is a mollusc with an elongated soft body, large eyes, eight arms, and two tentacles in the superorder Decapodiformes, though many other molluscs within the broader Neocoleoidea are also called squid despite not strictly fitting these criteria.
Wikipedia

Hence the squid is indeed (usually) wet.

Back
Top Bottom