Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair Gibbs-White is a class player, no point pretending otherwise.

I have heard completely the opposite to SBK in terms of what he's like as a person, from several people who knew him, from secondary school days to when he left.

However, as a player he's very good.

I would prefer Cunha in a straight choice, but if MGW was still at the club I would hope O'Neil found a way to get the pair of them and Neto in the same team, and I'm sure he would.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn’t say Neto was worth £100m. But if Brighton can get £100m for Caciedo and West Ham £100m for Rice why the hell should we let Neto go for £60m without trying to get more for him first? Same with Kilman. If someone wants him badly enough let them pay for him. I’m fed up of other clubs getting huge fees for one season wonders and our fans are happy with market value.

Do you think other clubs wouldn’t try and rinse us for every penny once we had accepted a par sum for our best player
Don’t you think every club tries to sell high and buy low?

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair Gibbs-White is a class player, no point pretending otherwise.

I have heard completely the opposite to SBK in terms of what he's like as a person, from several people who knew him, from secondary school days to when he left.

However, as a player he's very good.

I would prefer Cunha in a straight choice, but if MGW was still at the club I would hope O'Neil found a way to get the pair of them and Neto in the same team, and I'm sure he would.
Spot on this... As much as some don't like him you surely you can't deny he has only got better since leaving us and now a good Premier League player. He will play for England soon in my opinion.

Saying that I'm a huge Cunha fan so I wouldn't be swapping our Brazilian international.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Maybe.

But look at how City use left-sided centre backs like Ake and Gvardiol. A centre back pushes up, which frees up Rodri to join in with attacks, the right back comes narrower the left-sided centre back becomes a centreback/fullback hybrid.

Ake was hardly used initially and it's only been the last few seasons that Pep has decided he's useful for how they want to play.

What Pep does tends to become the norm within a couple of seasons. I think it will become more about centre backs that are adaptable enough to either step into midfield, or cover the fullback positions.

Kilman is the sort of player that fits with modern football tactics very well, as I think he could probably adapt to do both. Yes, he's not very vocal and could be more aggressive, but he's a very good footballer.

City paid £40m for Ake in 2020 and £85m for Gvardiol last summer. Very similar types of player. They are not fullbacks, but probably aren't suited to be centre backs in a back 4 either. Perfect for that hybrid role. Toti too, although he's a bit more agricultural in terms of his defending.

This is already vogue. See Jurrien Timber joining Arsenal or Kiwior more recently. Tomiyasu another.

Kinda has played right back more recently for Villa too.

It wasn't Pep who started the centre half at full back though, we have Tony Pulis and Robert Huth to thank.

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Biggest revelation of the window so far is that people think Gibbs-White is better than Cunha.
99% of UK football fans believe MGW is better than Cunha thanks to the UK Media.

But also 99% of lager drinkers think Carling is better than Peroni thanks to advertising.

The fact is 99% of people believe what they are told on TV. The stats prove Cunha is a better player than MGW and that’s all that matters.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
no chance. I would have Cunha every time over MGW. his attitude stinks and he doesnt work as hard and his skill level is also lower
I agree with this assessment, I think Gibbs White is a good player, and was disappointed he left, but I feel Cunha is a level (or two) above him. Skills, work ethic, and team spirit type things.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn’t say Neto was worth £100m. But if Brighton can get £100m for Caciedo and West Ham £100m for Rice why the hell should we let Neto go for £60m without trying to get more for him first? Same with Kilman. If someone wants him badly enough let them pay for him. I’m fed up of other clubs getting huge fees for one season wonders and our fans are happy with market value.

Do you think other clubs wouldn’t try and rinse us for every penny once we had accepted a par sum for our best player
In what world has Rice been a one season wonder? He’s been consistently good since he hit the first team.

Re your last paragraph do you think the decision maker on this (Hobbs) would be as naive as to take the first offer made? Of course he wouldn’t. However like any transfer there’s a point where people move on. Kilman isn’t a £50 million defender, Neto isn’t a £100 million forward, if we hold out for those figures we simply don’t get it.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting, TY, and rather different to his public persona.
His Covid antics were immature and stupid. However when it comes to wolves, we have a section of fans who are very thin skinned with him. Ultimately we got top money for a player who wasn’t a first teamer then he got some stick in a game and gave some back. The latter is no different to Bully and them lot down the road.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His Covid antics were immature and stupid. However when it comes to wolves, we have a section of fans who are very thin skinned with him. Ultimately we got top money for a player who wasn’t a first teamer then he got some stick in a game and gave some back. The latter is no different to Bully and them lot down the road.
The crap around Spitgate didn't help ...

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Ran across Ekitike FBref stats, what do you think? Good fit? Clearly defends from the front, has good link-up play (pass % and assists) and take-ons, but not much in the way of scoring. **** it...gerrim in!

fbcharts-hugo-ekitike.png

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yet Forest could get 60 mill for MGW in a heartbeat.
I can only assume you know Morgan personally because that is a ridiculous statement. He’s been poor this season until Nuno arrived. I like Morgan, didn’t want him to leave and think he’s a good player. He’ll make a good career playing mid-lower Prem football. He doesn’t have the consistent quality to play higher and command that sort of fee.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know the financial situation at Wolves but the way the season is going and the Cup draw tonight has to be the most exciting Wolves period since Nuno's 2nd Prem season. With this in mind I wonder if the Club will consider loosening the purse strings this month (if they can) to get the players in GON will have identified? Tbh we are not many games away from turning this season from originally catastrophic and now surprising to possibly fantastic!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know the financial situation at Wolves but the way the season is going and the Cup draw tonight has to be the most exciting Wolves period since Nuno's 2nd Prem season. With this in mind I wonder if the Club will consider loosening the purse strings this month (if they can) to get the players in GON will have identified? Tbh we are not many games away from turning this season from originally catastrophic and now surprising to possibly fantastic!
Think it’s been widely reported we must sell in order to buy in this specific window unfortunately

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jonny being offloaded if possible for 2.5m. we want him Gone
Give him away his wages are big. The fact nobody wants him is quite telling. Not even forest

Few things that could materialise

Jose Sa to Saudi/Forest
Kilman to West Ham/Man Utd

Unfortunately all clubs involved need to make sales first. Expect a late scramble from some

dnf14

Reaction score
Think it’s been widely reported we must sell in order to buy in this specific window unfortunately
The attempted permanent move for Durosinmi implies there is some degree of finances available from the beginning but it looks like it's only going to be able to finance loan moves + wages w/ a view to become permanent in the summer when finances are less tight for other targets.
Then again, we made bids for Alex Scott when were playing with Monopoly money all along so who knows.

Back
Top Bottom