Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

U18 & U23 news and info...

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Holman replacing Fraser then by the looks of it. Good luck to Nathan.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone know if Enso is back yet?

Their Olympic qualifying games (which is what I thought he was called up for) don’t actually start until 21st Jan. the games pre Christmas were all friendlies.

2nd Feb is the last qualifier in this set

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will probably move him to a league 1 team on loan. Rotherham have recalled Peter kioso. **** em.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has struggled, but had played well the last two games prior to this.

Tbh, the lad needs a rest for a couple of weeks
Was always going to be tough for him in a struggling championship team. Might have been better off in a top half league one side.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
100% plus he’s already played more games this season than any other single season AND had a busy/disrupted summer with CONCACAF Gold Cup
Whilst it's important to Rotherham that he plays well, from a Wolves point of view Dexter just getting regular minutes at Champ level is the most important thing. He'll be learning a lot about what's needed to play at full/wing back, which even a top player like RAN needed time to do.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do have to say every time I have seen him, he has looked really poor.

I very much doubt he will play for our first team.
From what I saw of him in the U21's, he certainly has the skills, pace and commitment. He lacked some of the defensive qualities and often got caught out of position, but he was promoted early from the U18's, if I remember correctly? He would probably benefit from some decent coaching, which he may not be getting in his current loan. Hopefully the experience will have done him good, but perhaps needs a spell in a more positive environment, even if that means less playing time. Too early to say never, as far as a first team future is concerned, but with the right development I would guess he will have a decent career.

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been a decent loan for Dexter re game time, move him to a league 1 team chasing promotion if he needs a change

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There was a rumour that a local, play off hopeful who wear blue and white stripes were interested in loaning Dexter.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
U21 side for the rest of the season just got stronger.

@giantwolf will know far better than I do, but for a lot of these lads it was their first senior loan, and quite often we’re not looking at them playing a massive amount of games, it’s about being in and around a first team dressing room, getting a feel for senior football. Even if they haven’t played much they will have learnt.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I wonder if they have gained anything from their loan period or even gone backwards.
They will all have gained massively from being in a competitive environment it’s all part of the development . lack of game time is disappointing but all will have got have got good experience of senior football dressing rooms and training.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They will all have gained massively from being in a competitive environment it’s all part of the development . lack of game time is disappointing but all will have got have got good experience of senior football dressing rooms and training.
I take your point but I do wonder if half a season from coaching of a a lower level is worth losing half a season of caaching from top coaches. Fourth tier mentality etc. is so different .

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Good to have Alfie Pond back as CB cover. He’s obviously not ready to start but having just Santi Bueno makes me nervous.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if they have gained anything from their loan period or even gone backwards.

U21 side for the rest of the season just got stronger.

@giantwolf will know far better than I do, but for a lot of these lads it was their first senior loan, and quite often we’re not looking at them playing a massive amount of games, it’s about being in and around a first team dressing room, getting a feel for senior football. Even if they haven’t played much they will have learnt.

Very much this, as I've said before, loans aren't all about minutes, especially the first one. Don't get me wrong, minutes are clearly a bonus and in an ideal world we'd take it all, obviously.

First loans are very much moving from youth football to mens football, being in and around a 1st team 24/7 (not just c3 or 4 trainings per week at Wolves), facing a different environment from one they've been at all their careers (Griffiths & Pond clearly don't fall into this one so much hacving moved to Wolves from elsehwhere), being in an environment where they aren't guaranteed game time each week, getting different experiences. If the lads are foreign, often their first loan is closer to home/to a more familiar culture (Lonwijk > Holland, Arinbjornson > Norway, Jack Scott > Ireland etc

Even 'older' loanees are sent for different experiences. Loads didn't agree with me at the time, but Dion Sanderson was sent to QPR for this very reason. He was playing week in week out out Brum at a level he was comfortable at, so he was offered a different challenge at QPR, going to a side where he wasn't a shoe in, one where he had to fight for the chance. Theo Corbeanu had done a UK loan and explicitly wanted to try things abroad, so he went to Germany & now Switzerland. Lonwijks second loan to League One Plymouth - the club considered it a success if he played 50-60% of minutes available to him, so its not all about playing week in, week out.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very much this, as I've said before, loans aren't all about minutes, especially the first one. Don't get me wrong, minutes are clearly a bonus and in an ideal world we'd take it all, obviously.

First loans are very much moving from youth football to mens football, being in and around a 1st team 24/7 (not just c3 or 4 trainings per week at Wolves), facing a different environment from one they've been at all their careers (Griffiths & Pond clearly don't fall into this one so much hacving moved to Wolves from elsehwhere), being in an environment where they aren't guaranteed game time each week, getting different experiences. If the lads are foreign, often their first loan is closer to home/to a more familiar culture (Lonwijk > Holland, Arinbjornson > Norway, Jack Scott > Ireland etc

Even 'older' loanees are sent for different experiences. Loads didn't agree with me at the time, but Dion Sanderson was sent to QPR for this very reason. He was playing week in week out out Brum at a level he was comfortable at, so he was offered a different challenge at QPR, going to a side where he wasn't a shoe in, one where he had to fight for the chance. Theo Corbeanu had done a UK loan and explicitly wanted to try things abroad, so he went to Germany & now Switzerland. Lonwijks second loan to League One Plymouth - the club considered it a success if he played 50-60% of minutes available to him, so its not all about playing week in, week out.
I agree with all that.

But i'm still disappointed at the amount of minutes Griffiths got in a rubbish Walsall side

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with all that.

But i'm still disappointed at the amount of minutes Griffiths got in a rubbish Walsall side

Thats cool, so am I. Its frustrating seeing it and makes for a incredibly boring saturday night on the loan thread.... X, Y, Z was an unused substitute... ad infinitum.

The holy grail is experiences & minutes. Man City can do it as their youth players are a level above but even all theirs don't get both. We are all about pushing them fast, u16s in the u18s, u18s in the u21s, loans perhaps above the level they'd be guaranteed game time. Its all very good letting them go to non league to play every week but its not quite the same

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I agree with all that.

Probably a victim of the situation. Walsall have been awful all season and the fans have wanted the manager out for ages. Probably not the environment to give a younger player a run in the team. It’s happened with players before. Not really a reflection on Harvey. And besides, the club always monitor which clubs/managers treat the loan players well, for future reference. We didn’t loan Walsall a player for years after they had Conor Ronan and messed him about.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder, are the u21’s still trying to mirror the style of the first team? If so this would explain the new no.9! And might mean we’re happy to have some of our loans back so we can see how they fit into our future plans?

Back
Top Bottom