Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Were these performances more Lopetegui than O’Neil? I think Utd was, where we looked fit, sharp and created lots of chances. Although we have looked decent we have also looked less likely to score goals as the season has progressed since Utd.

The manager has recognised our inability to score needs to be fixed but so did Lopetegui, Lage and Nuno after his penultimate season.

As per the last 3 seasons we are on track for a goal a game. All our goals so far have been headers or shoulders from crosses. Nothing from any other area. The positive is that we are getting players on the ends of these crosses but sooner or later teams will suss this out. Again.
There’s a lot of presumption in that.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Listening to the 100th ( or so it seems) podcast on Wolves, and I just got the feeling evryone is talking , talking , talking about so much but in the end the Elephant that wont go away is we dont have a goalscorer or goalscorers. And nothing will help and we will always be one step from a crisis until its sorted out.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Listening to the 100th ( or so it seems) podcast on Wolves, and I just got the feeling evryone is talking , talking , talking about so much but in the end the Elephant that wont go away is we dont have a goalscorer or goalscorers. And nothing will help and we will always be one step from a crisis until its sorted out.

We can’t score or defend. Same issues since Nuno left, but they’ve gradually got worse and worse. Here we are knowing what’s coming

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can’t score or defend. Same issues since Nuno left, but they’ve gradually got worse and worse. Here we are knowing what’s coming
But our defending is not really out of the norm , it just used to be so much better , now its average.
But you just cant win games without scoring goals. Its not possible.
Whereas you can concede many times and win.
We are in all of Europe exceptional in only one matter, our lack of goals.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As well as that ridiculous kick from Sa, yet again our manager has lost us the game with his odd subs and non existent tactical nous or in game management. It's so patently obvious it isn't going to work!
No credit for setting us up superbly? Not his fault we missed chances to make it 2-0 first half. We were always going to tire and their bench had far more quality

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No credit for setting us up superbly? Not his fault we missed chances to make it 2-0 first half. We were always going to tire and their bench had far more quality

The lack of finishing isn't his fault obviously but all that is pointless if we can't manage games in crucial moments. He's lost us the game today, Palace and Brighton with his lack of in game management and poor use of subs

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
But we didn't go 2 up, and him staring into the headlights and not acting allowed Liverpool an easy ride to get back into it.
Exactly, the game is there to be win and you need to seize the initiative. Klopp realised that at half time. Gaz obviously had no wifi signal on his ipad and didn't know what to do until the initiative had gone.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who did he have on the bench to take back the momentum?

He could've done many things.

When Klopp focused on pegging back our full backs to starve us, we could have focused on moving through the middle and running at their defenders.

Ask Neto to cut in and run at their 5th choice 20yo CB who spent last season with Bristol rovers, knock Sasa on as a focal point to pull their CBs around and create space between FB and CB for Neto/Hwang to go through rather than overloading on the outside with the full backs.

I'm sure that our manager who many on here tout as a competent tactical Messiah with a wide array of coaching certificates could think of many different ways to counter a team exploiting us overlapping our fullbacks.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He could've done many things.

When Klopp focused on pegging back our full backs to starve us, we could have focused on moving through the middle and running at their defenders.

Ask Neto to cut in and run at their 5th choice 20yo CB who spent last season with Bristol rovers, knock Sasa on as a focal point to pull their CBs around and create space between FB and CB for Neto/Hwang to go through rather than overloading on the outside with the full backs.

I'm sure that our manager who many on here tout as a competent tactical Messiah with a wide array of coaching certificates could think of many different ways to counter a team exploiting us overlapping our fullbacks.
I don't think anyone has called him a tactical messiah, it's more a case of giving him a chance. Klopp didn't just make a few tactical tweaks he brought on some excellent players. It was obvious we were tiring and obvious the players who came on weren't as good as the ones who went off

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think anyone has called him a tactical messiah, it's more a case of giving him a chance. Klopp didn't just make a few tactical tweaks he brought on some excellent players. It was obvious we were tiring and obvious the players who came on weren't as good as the ones who went off

Klopp just made a tactical tweak.

He changed a midfielder for a winger as he saw we were leaving Semedo/RAN on their defensive line and we were attacking without anybody stood in the middle as a number 9.

That's all he did. That's all it took to nullify us.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He changed a midfielder for a winger as he saw we were leaving Semedo/RAN on their defensive line and we were attacking without anybody stood in the middle as a number 9.

So bringing on Diaz and Nunez doesn't count?

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
Actually he doesn't 'deserve' a chance, this is a Premier League football club with a squad of internationals. The training ground for coaching wannabes is Walsall or Shrewsbury, not my club. The game changed after one substitution from Klopp (just the one). It was downhill from half time onwards.

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score

Indeed, it was as simple as that. Any 'coach' who can't see that won't be able to see it next week or the week after either.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Actually he doesn't 'deserve' a chance, this is a Premier League football club with a squad of internationals. The training ground for coaching wannabes is Walsall or Shrewsbury, not my club. The game changed after one substitution from Klopp (just the one). It was downhill from half time onwards.
Do you criticise Klopp or praise O'Neil for the first half? If ever their was a game of 2 halves that was it. Second half they took their chances and first half we didn't. Seems to me people have made their minds up about O'Neill before he'd even managed us and now nothing will change them

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had em tactically first half and should have been 2 up. Overloaded the left side as I wanted us to do, and created several opportunities. Mac Allister playing as the deep playmaker was ineffective breaking up any
They made adjustments at half time that changed the course of the game. Taking off mac callister and moving Szozbolai back nullified our pace on the break and they let Andy Robertson just go forward at will as we didn't provide any threat on that side.
Best form of defence is attack; we just brought Doc on to cover him rather than trying to exploit the spaces he left behind. Ideally at that point we'd have brought on Adama. Maybe the young kid from Paraguay could have done that, or maybe we could have had Neto switching sides at that point. Who knows.

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Brilliant 1st half..didnt take our chances..ran out of steam and couldnt take control back except for 10 or so mins in 2nd half...same old story just need to take our chances...not many teams will boss liverpool around like that for 45 mins

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He also brought Szobolai further back and Robertson was pushed much further forward.

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
Do you criticise Klopp or praise O'Neil for the first half? If ever their was a game of 2 halves that was it. Second half they took their chances and first half we didn't. Seems to me people have made their minds up about O'Neill before he'd even managed us and now nothing will change them
The first half was an excellent showing, Klopp's team were too passive and we were always first to the ball. However, the failure to chase the ball right from the off in the second half and to compete higher up the pitch suggests that the revised masterplan was to sit back and defend what we had. Some would call in typical small time club coaching and thinking, others seem to just call it unlucky. Personally I call it passive management and chucking the game away.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The first half was an excellent showing, Klopp's team were too passive and we were always first to the ball. However, the failure to chase the ball right from the off in the second half and to compete higher up the pitch suggests that the revised masterplan was to sit back and defend what we had. Some would call in typical small time club coaching and thinking, others seem to just call it unlucky. Personally I call it chucking the game away.
So was it down to Klopp or O'Neil first half?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, but Klopp than made a few small and basic tweaks and blew GO out the water with very little resistance or ability to influence the game from our manager.

So in a boxing scoring system;

First half

10:9 wolves

Second half

7/8:10 Liverpool

So Klopp wins 19pts to 18/17

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** it let's not bother playing football because we don't have the galacticos playing for us.
Not the point is it. Point is it wasn't just down to tactics, we were playing Liverpool who for me are the 2nd best team in England. You can be brilliant tactically but ultimately you have to take your chances when you get them

Reaction score
You could give him chances from now until doomsday it won’t make any difference he’s tactically clueless, he’s a Chump level manager trying to manage in the PL.

Back
Top Bottom